2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an II for the Lebanon campus, super stoked!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain the "Processed by Enrollment Data Services (EDS)" and How i get that green check mark by it

Yay II for Lebanon. When do these guys need a deposit by after an acceptance? All I see is stuff before and after the March 1st deadline.

Got an II for both Pomona and Lebanon campuses. Submitted both on 8/7.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Next Steps section for my application on the online portal is not showing up anymore...since I haven't gotten an email for an II, does this mean a rejection? :(

The Next Steps section for my application on the online portal is not showing up anymore...since I haven't gotten an email for an II, does this mean a rejection? :(
What next steps section?

This is what it used to show but it's no longer on there...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 5.43.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 5.43.42 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
What's the URL for the portal? What I have saved in my excel tracker is taking me back to my secondary app.

Remind me: isnt it hard to get an interview here if you arent from a specific few states?

II from Lebanon this afternoon through. CA resident. 3.35 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 506 MCAT. Secondary received July 28th and Submitted August 1. Anyone knows what the interview is like? Anything stands out from the school or the location? Thanks

II:biglove: to the Pomona campus!! My goodness so excited!! All scheduled for Sept. 21 and I did receive a confirmation e-mail. My stats are nothing special GPA 3.6-3.8 and MCAT 500-503 but I do have tons of EC's and patient care experience.

Reactions: 3 users
II:biglove: to the Pomona campus!! My goodness so excited!! All scheduled for Sept. 21 and I did receive a confirmation e-mail. My stats are nothing special GPA 3.6-3.8 and MCAT 500-503 but I do have tons of EC's and patient care experience.

I envy you. I'm a CA resident, very close to the Pomona campus. I hope to get an interview there as well, would be nice to be close to home.

I envy you. I'm a CA resident, very close to the Pomona campus. I hope to get an interview there as well, would be nice to be close to home.

It is still soo early!! Yours will come soon!

It is still soo early!! Yours will come soon!

I got an II for the Lebanon campus. I submitted them both at the same time, but I figure that the Pomona campus has many more applications to go through. Thanks for the confidence!

II Pomona came last night!!! I shrieked so loudly in the pizza place! Scheduled for September 21! See you all then :)

Hey you guys, if you applied to both campuses, did you write different essays for the secondaries?

1 & 4 I wouldn't know how to reword too differently, and for 2 & 3, how do I find differences between Pomona and Lebanon?
The websites are practically the same to me. I know Socal and Oregon are very different from each other--location/people/atmosphere, but i'm struggling, please be kind and enlighten me a little?

-I've read older threads and the testimonials on the different campuses

Hey you guys, if you applied to both campuses, did you write different essays for the secondaries?

1 & 4 I wouldn't know how to reword too differently, and for 2 & 3, how do I find differences between Pomona and Lebanon?
The websites are practically the same to me. I know Socal and Oregon are very different from each other--location/people/atmosphere, but i'm struggling, please be kind and enlighten me a little?

-I've read older threads and the testimonials on the different campuses

I mostly copied. Talked about the regions a bit. They don't really differentiate their own campuses so it's difficult for us to as well.

Anyone still not received a secondary? Primary complete 7/6 and this is the only school I haven't heard back from at all. Just emailed admissions about it because my stats are not an issue (3.71 and 505)

Anyone still not received a secondary? Primary complete 7/6 and this is the only school I haven't heard back from at all. Just emailed admissions about it because my stats are not an issue (3.71 and 505)

Let me know if they respond. I have had "Awaiting Planned MCAT" on my application for some reason even though I've only taken it once and do not plan to retake, so my application can't move forward. I emailed about 1 week ago but haven't heard anything. I might call later today.

How long after responding to their e-mail and selecting an interview date should we expect back an itinerary or confirmation of any kind. I e-mailed yesterday and haven't heard back?

Negative. I responded. No response yet.

I just called and spoke with Donna, she was very nice. She said the emails will go out around 4pm PST. I already booked a flight and made arrangements, so I was getting a little anxious and wanted to confirm that I am good to go for 9/23. Did you or anyone else select 9/23 to interview?

Me! Same day. And I already contacted them, they basically said chill, everything is fine with my app, they are just busy.
Same here! I emailed them and got back to me within a few hours. They said they will contact you if there are any issues but they are swamped right now. Also, submitting your primary application in August/September is considered a high volume times so it will take longer!

Just a heads up this is on Western U's handbook.

"While grades and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores are important in selecting candidates for admission, the Admissions Committee recognizes that these statistics, by themselves, do not guarantee later success as an osteopathic physician. Therefore, the College employs a holistic approach in which non-academic criteria are also important in making the selection. COMP/COMP-Northwest seeks a diverse and balanced student population and considers factors additional to academic performance, such as a well- rounded background, work experiences, letters of recommendation, interest in and knowledge of osteopathic medicine, and professional promise."

I posted a little about this earlier on the forum since I was able to chat for a bit with the director of admissions.

Hope this helps!!

Ah, best of luck to you all. Let me know how it goes :D

Received secondary on 7-28. Clearly submitting well after the advised 10-day timeframe now, but at least it's not after 30 days? Hopefully it doesn't hurt too much because Western Pomona looks like a darn nice school to attend. o.o

I was confused about "Physician Shadowing" since on that tab, the experiences are simply labeled "Clinical", but it seems I should mention all clinical experiences I've had (from @Fascie's post). Regarding research, I wonder if it's okay to rework the AACOMAS W/A blurb since there's no word limit? Seems it's okay to upload Word documents for those, and that social security number is optional (I haven't memorized mine--what are those for, financial aid determination?).

Quoting Deepo26 below for my own reference since Idk where I got limit = 1650 characters and NOT 500 words from. I wrote to the former limit and now have half the allotted space left. Maybe I can expand one or all of these essays with these tips in mind...

Also, is there really still not a Western Lebanon thread?

For everyone who is concerned about not getting a secondary yet, they have a ton of applications to get through! I met Susan Downes Hanson the director of admissions a few months back and she is such an awesome person and said they don't start reviewing the applications until July but recommended to submit primaries ASAP, like May 4th. She said you have a better chance of getting in submitting early with lower stats than submitting later on with perfect stats. This school also calculates their own GPA not using the new GPA calculation that AACOMAS started to do, most likely why the secondaries started rolling out late. I went to an event through AACOMAS where she spoke at and talked about what kind of student they're looking for and how to get into their school. This might help ease some of you! They suggested submitting early on, she stressed this A LOT, since they have no one else to compare you to. Your personal statement needs to be personal, not about academics, they can look at your transcript, they want to see you. Their student population is extremely diverse, average age is 27, more than half have graduate degrees or have worked in the field of medicine. They are all about a HOLISTIC file, they really really want well rounded people with "life" experience. So all of you who are having difficulty with the secondary application use some of those points for why you could be a good fit or why their school.

I submitted mine 11 days instead of 10. How badly do you think it will affect my chances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interview confirmation email from Lebanon today. Interview scheduled for 9/23.

Just a heads up this is on Western U's handbook.

"While grades and Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores are important in selecting candidates for admission, the Admissions Committee recognizes that these statistics, by themselves, do not guarantee later success as an osteopathic physician. Therefore, the College employs a holistic approach in which non-academic criteria are also important in making the selection. COMP/COMP-Northwest seeks a diverse and balanced student population and considers factors additional to academic performance, such as a well- rounded background, work experiences, letters of recommendation, interest in and knowledge of osteopathic medicine, and professional promise."

I posted a little about this earlier on the forum since I was able to chat for a bit with the director of admissions.

Hope this helps!!

It does thank you! I have really strong app. My numbers are my weakest aspect. Ive got 1500 hours clinical employment, 450 clinical volunteering, 400 nonclincal, unique ECs, 400 hours shadowing, different jobs throughout undergrad, research, the whole shebang. Hopefully the app just got lost. I got a secondary 2 years ago when I applied pre-graduation with a 494 MCAT. Now my app is so much better. Fingers crossed.