2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, what's the daily schedule like? How often do ya'll have exams? I vaguely remember something about OMM labs on Monday's, or was it alternate Mondays?

Members don't see this ad.

Just remembered a couple more questions. Does WCU have any affiliation with any Community Health Centers? Are there much research opportunities? Does WCU do much medical outreach volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remembered a couple more questions. Does WCU have any affiliation with any Community Health Centers? Are there much research opportunities? Does WCU do much medical outreach volunteering?

Your access to research is very minimal and your time to do any is even less. If you are targeting a field that requires research now is the time to stop and either rethink that field or rethink going here and many other DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Your access to research is very minimal and your time to do any is even less. If you are targeting a field that requires research now is the time to stop and either rethink that field or rethink going here and many other DO schools.
Yep. OMM will eat up any time you’d have for research. It’s no joke at Carey.

Hi there,

This is my first post on SDN! I made a last minute decision to apply to DO schools this cycle, so I applied a little late. I have been accepted to St. George's University, and I just got an interview email to WCUCOM last Thursday. My interview is 4/23. How likely is it that I have a shot at being accepted if I kill it at the interview? I'm a relatively good interviewer, but isn't it a bit late to be interviewing at schools at this point in this cycle? Do you think they are just holding these interviews so they can have students to put on their waitlist?

Your insight is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

You have a great chance. I was accepted later than you. Carey only interviews people they’re really interested in.

PS: Next years class isn’t even close to being full yet.

Thank you for your reply! Do you have any tips for interview day? And how long after your interview did they get back to you with their decision?

Thank you for your reply! Do you have any tips for interview day? And how long after your interview did they get back to you with their decision?
No problem. Just smile, be personable and know the answers to basic interview questions (Especially “Why DO” and “Why Carey”.) You’ll be fine.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Just smile, be personable and know the answers to basic interview questions (Especially “Why DO” and “Why Carey”.) You’ll be fine.

Good luck

Thanks! Last question- how long did you have to wait until you heard that they accepted you?

I'm not that interested in research but I like to keep my options open and WCU's website mentions research, prompting me to ask because it didn't seem like a school like WCU would have much on research.
Yep. OMM will eat up any time you’d have for research. It’s no joke at Carey.
I thought most students do research in the summer between OMS1&2 when there are no classes including OMM

They were the only ones that accepted me? But seriously, When I interviewed at Carey, everyone seemed to be friendly and helpful, I ran into a couple of non-traditional students like me that had good things to say. It was close to home, so I was able to live on campus 1st year and have an apartment second year. My wife was able to keep her job and our house in LA. 3rd year hubsite was close enough where I could move back home. Classroom years were OK for me, would have preferred not to have the mandatory attendance for 2nd year. I had great experiences 3rd year clinically, and 4th year was wide open. Even though I didn't match (not really WCU's fault), I've had plenty of support and found a solution that works for me.

I was surprised by Hattiesburg, plenty of places to shop, plenty of good restaurants, my only gripe is the quality of grocery stores. I liked it enough, I wanted to stay there for residency and most likely my career. I can be pretty much anywhere in an hour and a half, 3hrs to Gulf Shores at the most.
Haha yeah, I figured there are some who went WCU because of only acceptance or close to home. I was just trying to figure out how I'm going to answer "Why Carey" in the interview. Glad things worked out for you though and thank you for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Last question- how long did you have to wait until you heard that they accepted you?
I interviewed on a Monday and received a call from the Dean with an acceptance on Wednesday so they are super fast! They were very nice in the interview, basic questions about your application and the basics like “why medicine, why DO, why Carey” and then they gave me an ethical scenario overall it was the best interview that I’ve had.

I interviewed on a Monday and received a call from the Dean with an acceptance on Wednesday so they are super fast! They were very nice in the interview, basic questions about your application and the basics like “why medicine, why DO, why Carey” and then they gave me an ethical scenario overall it was the best interview that I’ve had.

Congratulations!! Do you plan on accepting? Also when was your interview (like the month)?

Congratulations!! Do you plan on accepting? Also when was your interview (like the month)?
Yes! I paid for my seat already. I interviewed in March and they said they had about 60 seats taken, so there should still be plenty of spots left!

Hi there,

This is my first post on SDN! I made a last minute decision to apply to DO schools this cycle, so I applied a little late. I have been accepted to St. George's University, and I just got an interview email to WCUCOM last Thursday. My interview is 4/23. How likely is it that I have a shot at being accepted if I kill it at the interview? I'm a relatively good interviewer, but isn't it a bit late to be interviewing at schools at this point in this cycle? Do you think they are just holding these interviews so they can have students to put on their waitlist?

Your insight is very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Stay in the States, it'll make your life easier. Also, they frequently interview and accept people over the summer so you have a very good chance to be accepted if your interview goes well.

Reactions: 1 users
WCU applicants, students, and graduates, why did you choose WCU? I see a lot of negatives here but now I want to know what you like about the school and the Mississippi area.

Also, the website says "With a unique approach to educate and train students..." What unique approach are they specifically referring to?

I actually dont mind the city. Its a cute place to live for a while or with young kids at private school. Its perfect for medical school. Theres a few fun places in town for the few wild nights needed and easy access to almost all the chains and stores. The people have been more than welcoming and kind. The beach, NOLA and Jackson are close enough to go occasionally and I love all the trees and greenery. Plus even the worst day of traffic here is better than daily commutes literally anywhere I've ever lived.

Good points of the school, the people are great. We dont have the bells and whistles but theres always someone you can jive with and someone willing to help. The school for the most part tries to listen to the student's suggestions. I think theres a lot of politics involved but at least they hear what we say and try to make things better. I really like the flexibility of 3rd year rotations. Talking to other schools this year, I think our third year is on par or better than many in terms of choices. (there are different problems with different sites so I might be opening a can of worms saying that)

When it came to your application, what kind of questions did they ask you?

They asked about my grades, but aside from that it was pretty chill. I'm sure you've seen it on here already but know why Carey and why DO.

They asked about my grades, but aside from that it was pretty chill. I'm sure you've seen it on here already but know why Carey and why DO.
Run through some common ethical scenarios too. That will help.

James Weir is the main guy who gave us presentations of the school and the 'mediator' of the interview, right?

Last edited:
When it came to your application, what kind of questions did they ask you?
Other than the one ethical question that everyone probably receives a different question on, all the questions they asked me can be found in the link below after 2010. They didn't really ask anything specific to my application but if you have something that raises red flags such as low GPA or MCAT, they may ask you to explain it. They did ask if I had any volunteering or leadership experience which I thought was a little odd because I thought it was open file where it's all listed on my application. So, I basically just mentioned some that were already on my application since I didn't really have significant new ones to add. William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine Interview Feedback

Just withdrew my seat. Hopefully, someone here gets it.

So interviewed this past Monday (4/23). The full admissions committee met today around noon. I was talking to one of the other interviewees at my interview date and he got the acceptance call from Dr. Turner around 3 pm. I called Dr. Weir to get an update on my status but he didn’t answer and I called Dr. Turner and he was leaving so his secretary told me that acceptance calls would be made once he had the list of acceptances (which he obviously already has). The guy that got the acceptance call interviewed directly after me. I’m a little shocked because I felt really really good about how I did. I could tell they liked my answers and connected with me. I’m just feeling down because I feel as though this is basically me finding out I didn’t get in. Are all acceptance calls done at the same time? What’s the thought process about the order in which they are made? Do you guys think I have a chance or am I rejected/deferred? You can be real with me. I’d really appreciate anyone’s response and opinion.

So interviewed this past Monday (4/23). The full admissions committee met today around noon. I was talking to one of the other interviewees at my interview date and he got the acceptance call from Dr. Turner around 3 pm. I called Dr. Weir to get an update on my status but he didn’t answer and I called Dr. Turner and he was leaving so his secretary told me that acceptance calls would be made once he had the list of acceptances (which he obviously already has). The guy that got the acceptance call interviewed directly after me. I’m a little shocked because I felt really really good about how I did. I could tell they liked my answers and connected with me. I’m just feeling down because I feel as though this is basically me finding out I didn’t get in. Are all acceptance calls done at the same time? What’s the thought process about the order in which they are made? Do you guys think I have a chance or am I rejected/deferred? You can be real with me. I’d really appreciate anyone’s response and opinion.

I never got a call before I got my acceptance letter in the mail. Don’t stress over it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When I interviewed, I didn't get a call. I saw everyone here commenting that they got in so I called and they told me I had been waitlisted. A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail telling me I got waitlisted.

When did you guys receive the letter after you received the acceptance call? Dr. Weir made it sound like it was already in the mail when I talked to him last Thurs (April 19) so they would have had to have put in the mail April 18 or 19 because April 18 was when they made the decision but I still haven't received it. Perhaps he didn't mean to say it that way and they actually hadn't put it in the mail yet but I just want to make sure I don't miss the deposit deadline or any other deadlines. I actually just received a letter from them yesterday but it was just a receipt of my secondary application fee. Don't know why it took them so long to give me the receipt but it certainly was a disappointment when I'm expecting the acceptance letter.

When I interviewed, I didn't get a call. I saw everyone here commenting that they got in so I called and they told me I had been waitlisted. A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail telling me I got waitlisted.
So a watlist has been started? I've just been 'deferred' for months and am wondering if I even have a shot still

When did you guys receive the letter after you received the acceptance call? Dr. Weir made it sound like it was already in the mail when I talked to him last Thurs (April 19) so they would have had to have put in the mail April 18 or 19 because April 18 was when they made the decision but I still haven't received it. Perhaps he didn't mean to say it that way and they actually hadn't put it in the mail yet but I just want to make sure I don't miss the deposit deadline or any other deadlines. I actually just received a letter from them yesterday but it was just a receipt of my secondary application fee. Don't know why it took them so long to give me the receipt but it certainly was a disappointment when I'm expecting the acceptance letter.

Interviewed on 10/27, and received my letter on 11/6 dated 11/2.

You've got to give this some time my man. Just because the committee met today and someone got a call today and you didn't does not mean you did not get accepted. If you don't hear anything by late Thursday or early Friday then you may want to come back to being nervous. I received my acceptance call Thursday morning. A friend of mine received hers Thursday afternoon as did one other individual I know. You don't necessarily have to hear back the same day as the committee meeting.

I got my letter pretty much 1 week after my call. I live in Memphis (5 1/2 hour drive) if that helps put anything into perspective. As far as the deposit goes:
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days
I think my letter was postmarked the same day I received my call (a Thursday). Their office staff is very friendly in terms of working with you and your deposit. I doubt they will reject you wanting to turn in a seat deposit over a few days. Just let them know if you haven't received your letter by Monday or something. As long as they know your intentions i'm sure they will work with you. Other deadlines and forms (immunizations etc) aren't e-mailed to you until you have secured your seat.

For those who have interviewed and had to fly in- did you use the Hattiesburg airport or was there another cheaper option that you flew to and then drove from?? Trying to plan May 7th interview.

For those who have interviewed and had to fly in- did you use the Hattiesburg airport or was there another cheaper option that you flew to and then drove from?? Trying to plan May 7th interview.

Someone in my interview group flew into Biloxi and drove into Hattiesburg the morning of the interview.

Cheapest and best options will tend to be fly into MSY (New Orleans) and rent a car to drive up to Hattie. I believe that’s what most people do and what I did.

Hey, i'm a current student, and I agree with Neuroyogi. In general, people use MSY airport in New Orleans for major travel. When there's more time to book the flight, you can usually wait for a Hattiesburg airport flight since their prices tend to be higher but randomly drop. The airport here is also 15 minutes away from one of the apartment complexes a decent amount of students live at. So if you need a ride and don't want to taxi/uber, holler at one of us.

Gave up my acceptance here awhile ago—- I’ll definitely say that this forum heavily influenced my decision to attend.

Good luck to everyone this cycle who are still waiting to hear news. I will be withdrawing my acceptance this week so I hope it will be going to one of you great folks. As for my two cents, i've got a number of friends who are currently attending WCU ranging from first to third year. They are all doing well. That is not to say WCU doesn't have its fair share of genuine issues/obstacles, but any number of schools who do as well. In the end just ask yourself where you want to be and whether the school you choose can genuinely prepare you to get there.

As for me, my decision was that of a financial one. I will be staying in state and saving a lot of money.

I got a call from Dr. Turner and I’m accepted!! I’m so excited. Thanks for everyone’s feedback and answers to my questions throughout this process. It’s much appreciated!

Reactions: 5 users
What were your main reasons from what you read?

Just FYI, to anyone who reads this out of context. I am not a current student. I was just actively on this forum when I was deciding whether or not to attend. These opinions are not my own, as I am NOT a student, but here is a summary of what I have generally seen posted on this forum about the school:

- mandatory in class attendance; hiding materials from students who don’t attend lecture
- too much emphasis on OMM
- insufficient independent study time to study for boards
- how exams in class do not reflect board material
- lack of a “collaborative” effort between students and faculty
- students feeling unsupported
- not so great clinical rotation sites
- lack of research opportunities

Just FYI, to anyone who reads this out of context. I am not a current student. I was just actively on this forum when I was deciding whether or not to attend. These opinions are not my own, as I am NOT a student, but here is a summary of what I have generally seen posted on this forum about the school:

- mandatory in class attendance; hiding materials from students who don’t attend lecture
- too much emphasis on OMM
- insufficient independent study time to study for boards
- how exams in class do not reflect board material
- lack of a “collaborative” effort between students and faculty
- students feeling unsupported
- not so great clinical rotation sites
- lack of research opportunities

In response:

1) There's not really mandatory attendance here, I've elaborated on this with previous posts.
2) Somewhat true, but it's not really overbearing.
3) We have around a month of devoted board prep time during the summer of our second year. They also provide us with Kaplan test prep access (videos and q bank) so not bad.
4) Depends on the class and the professor. Some are good about it, a few get a little too in depth. Not really too abnormal, I've heard complaints about this at other schools, but I can't say with exact certainty.
5) Again, depends on the class and professor. Most are fine though.
6) I have no complaints because I don't really care but I've heard others that do about a couple particular issues that may soon be resolved.
7) Can't comment too well on this, but I know some are better than others.
8) If you're looking for research I don't know what to tell you. Most DO schools aren't going to be big on this plus no one really has the time for it anyway. You can make it happen if you really go after something, otherwise just enjoy your summer or brush up on board material.

Good luck to everyone with their decisions, sorry about those on this thread that get a little too over the top with their remarks (going either way).

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I'm a current student that found out about this forum recently, and I wanted to take a moment to give my take on your concerns. Some are accurate, some I'm not sure I agree with.

Attendance: The "official" policy is 80/20 attendance, and of the 9 non-lab courses, only 1 actually implements attendance. Attendance is implemented on a class-by-class basis, where each course director chooses whether or not they want to carry out the 80/20. For Doc Skills and OPP/OMM, attendance is mandatory, and they're both on Tuesday.

OMM: I agree, there is a decent OMM emphasis. This frustrates some students, but at the end of the day, WCUCOM is a DO school. Expect to do OMM.

Independent Study Time: Editing to add information. I spoke to my big, and they said they have 8 weeks dedicated before they take the boards. 8 weeks is a glorious amount of time and more than enough to prep during dedicated. My guess is maybe it's 3 weeks mandatory, and then you have summer to balance between studying and vacation?

Orginally written: (I think we have roughly 3 weeks dedicated (2nd years correct me if i'm wrong), which is on the short end. Trust me, I wish we had more time... But since I know going in it'll only be 3 weeks, I'm planning on front-loading extra study time.)

Exams: I can't speak to this since I haven't taken the boards. I follow along in First Aid and BRS pretty heavily though. All classes don't teach specifically to the boards or directly out of a board review book, but for a lot of our classes sometimes it does get pretty close to straight out of the book (incoming 1st years, ask your big about immuno).

Collaborative effort: I'm not entirely sure what this is referring to, so i'm going to leave this alone. I don't want to spread anything that I don't have information on.

Feeling Unsupported: I can't say I've felt this way. But the problems I've had and others have had are probably vastly different. Med school is a different can of worms for every student. I'm sure some students in our class do feel unsupported.

Rotation Sites: Will update in 2 years. Not quite there yet.

Research Opportunities: DO schools aren't exactly known for their research. SDN is being annoying and won't let me post links, but if you search "Research in the Osteopathic Medical Profession: Roadmap to Recovery" and scroll down halfway, there's a graph that lists all manner of schools and research. DO schools are dead last in NIH funding out of 17 'types' of schools (MD, Arts and science, pub health, dentistry, engineering, etc.). It's kind of like OMM, it's part of DO schools in general. That doesn't mean there isn't research, a handful of my classmates got started on or are in the process of starting research projects this year, myself included. It won't be handed to you on a platter, but if you want to do research, you can.

That's about all my thoughts on the matter. The school isn't perfect, and med school isn't for everyone, but they also don't lie about what they are. When you come on your interview, what you see is what you get. Think about whether or not this is a place you can succeed, and choose accordingly. For what it's worth, I've been happy with my choice.

Last edited:
I've done some heavy research for the past three years and I've been published in Human Molecular Genetics. Will this be enough for me or will I need to do more research in medical school to fill that aspect that a lot of allopathic students will be fulfilling?

Also, how many people can you invite to white coat ceremony?

I've done some heavy research for the past three years and I've been published in Human Molecular Genetics. Will this be enough for me or will I need to do more research in medical school to fill that aspect that a lot of allopathic students will be fulfilling?

I'm just a first year, so I think you should probably follow up with admin for better insight. But from what I know, it depends on what you want to go into. If you apply to something like EM, it's my understanding that they don't really care at all what research you have. But if you want to do something like derm/ortho/neurosurgery, it's practically mandatory to have research. I feel like that's a good amount of research you have there, but the necessity for research will vary depending on what you want to go into.

As for your second question about white coat, I don't remember off the top of my head about there being any limits. I'd recommend emailing or calling your point of contact at the school.They can probably give you the quickest and most accurate answer.