2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just a first year, so I think you should probably follow up with admin for better insight. But from what I know, it depends on what you want to go into. If you apply to something like EM, it's my understanding that they don't really care at all what research you have. But if you want to do something like derm/ortho/neurosurgery, it's practically mandatory to have research. I feel like that's a good amount of research you have there, but the necessity for research will vary depending on what you want to go into.

As for your second question about white coat, I don't remember off the top of my head about there being any limits. I'd recommend emailing or calling your point of contact at the school.They can probably give you the quickest and most accurate answer.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've done some heavy research for the past three years and I've been published in Human Molecular Genetics. Will this be enough for me or will I need to do more research in medical school to fill that aspect that a lot of allopathic students will be fulfilling?

Research will help you towards any residency, especially in competitive fields. My research was discussed in every residency interview I had. Keep in mind it’s not always required but will often help your application. If you plan on attending an academic based residency consider it mandatory.

My thoughts on publication hierarchy for residency.
Primary author in journal publication >2* author etc>>>poster presentation, abstract etc. at a conference >>>> anything done only at school>nothing.

Something is better than nothing and something in the field in which you are pursuing a residency is very good.

I have a bunch of other info in post 498 if you haven’t already checked it out.

Good luck and congratulations on you acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II today, Anyone know if there are open seats? Not sure If I wanna fly across the country to be waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II today, Anyone know if there are open seats? Not sure If I wanna fly across the country to be waitlisted.
I know people that were accepted here off of interviews in May, so it could be very likely worth your time. Depends on your personal situation with finances and other options.

Research will help you towards any residency, especially in competitive fields. My research was discussed in every residency interview I had. Keep in mind it’s not always required but will often help your application. If you plan on attending an academic based residency consider it mandatory.

Primary author in journal publication >2* author etc>>>poster presentation, abstract etc. at a conference >>>> anything done only at school>nothing.

Something is better than nothing and something in the field in which you are pursuing a residency is very good.

So if I basically have all this research done before starting medical school, do I really need to continue? Of course it would be much better especially for matching into a competitive residency program if I continued research in med school but is the amount I have accomplished so far going to count for much?

Also thank you so much for your insight!

I would say it’s worth the interview. The Facebook group right now has almost 80 students so I’m assuming maybe a few students don’t have Facebook so I’d guess at least 10 seats would be open right now, probably more.

So if I basically have all this research done before starting medical school, do I really need to continue? Of course it would be much better especially for matching into a competitive residency program if I continued research in med school but is the amount I have accomplished so far going to count for much?

Also thank you so much for your insight!

No problem. If you have a couple publications, IMO focus on your studies and boards and you should be in good shape.

The class is pretty much full. Any interview at this point will likely result in rejection or "decision deferred" which will be ranked and may or most likely not result in an acceptance in July. People were accepted later in the cycle last year because the admissions committee was behind due to the tornado. That is not the case for this year. When is the interview date for?

Source: faculty.

Last edited:
I would say it’s worth the interview. The Facebook group right now has almost 80 students so I’m assuming maybe a few students don’t have Facebook so I’d guess at least 10 seats would be open right now, probably more.
I'm surprised they're still interviewing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I'm surprised they're still interviewing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
I know people that interviewed in May two years ago (therefore pre tornado), so it's still possible to receive an acceptance. There weren't many though.

The class is pretty much full. Any interview at this point will likely result in rejection or "decision deferred" which will be ranked and may or most likely not result in an acceptance in July. People were accepted later in the cycle last year because the admissions committee was behind due to the tornado. That is not the case for this year. When is the interview date for?

Source: faculty.

May 15th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got a call yesterday afternoon that I was accepted! First acceptance. I'm happy I don't have to take the MCAT again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call yesterday afternoon that I was accepted! First acceptance. I'm happy I don't have to take the MCAT again.
Congrats! Were you on the waitlist or did you interview recently?

Aw that’s quite a while, I’d go crazy waiting because I’m so impatient haha, but I’m so glad to hear this!! Congrats!! Welcome to the class :)

Does any1 know how WL movement has been after the May deadline? I expected more of us to hear something.

Will be foregoing my acceptance here as I was accepted into one of my top choices today! Hopefully this seat finds its way to one of y'all - good luck!

Does any1 know how WL movement has been after the May deadline? I expected more of us to hear something.
They have ranked the list as of last week and so far have accepted the first 3 off the list.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here, as I have been accepted by a school very close to home. I hope my seat goes to one of you.

Can someone send me the link to the accepted students Facebook Page?? They told me about it over the phone but i can’t find it myself. Was accepted yesterday!!!! Can’t wait to see y’all in a few weeks!!!

Just got my acceptance yesterday as well (SO glad I don't have to consider retaking the MCAT now)! Super excited to see you guys and start in a couple months! Also, can someone send the FB group link to me as well (if it's not posted on here publicly). Thanks!

Hey. Just a quick question. What is the style of curriculum at Carey? Is it traditionally based or systems based? Thanks

Hey. Just a quick question. What is the style of curriculum at Carey? Is it traditionally based or systems based? Thanks
... umm... its both. Some subjects go system by system some don't. Why does it matter to you? I found that neither approach is better or worse.

A little bit of both, but more traditional. They try to make it integrative, which sometimes works well, other times they don't sync up. So for example, in histo you might be learning GI, while doing the same for phys.

... umm... its both. Some subjects go system by system some don't. Why does it matter to you? I found that neither approach is better or worse.

Because I'm find myself with too much extra time waiting for school to start, so I'm beginning to analyze aspects of school that don't matter...

Hi All,

There have been many repeat questions from new interviewees or newly accepted students. I am going to partially recycle a post I made a few months back with a lot of new updates and info. I have tried to make this post easy to scroll through its crazy long, I added headings by timeline year by year as follows:

Q&A – short and to the point
Premed - detailed
OMS1- detailed
OMS2- detailed
OMS3- detailed
OMS4 - detailed
I have been as unbiased as I can, based on my experience, successes and mistakes. I truly wish you all the best.

Context: This is my SDN swansong
. I am a fourth year and recently matched my first-choice program. It felt REALLY GOOD to see DO next to my name in the residency contract! Here is my experience and perspective.

• Q&A
Premed/OMS1 Q&A
Carey vs MD schools?
MD 100% see premed below.

Carey vs Caribbean schools?
Carey 100% see premed below.

Carey vs other DO schools?
Too much arguing on this topic on this thread. ACGME doesn’t care; seriously they don’t care if you’re from Carey or Touro, PCOM, TCOM, ZCOM, QCOM or wherever, unless the program is located by the specific DO school and they interact with the students on rotation. No ACGME program where I interviewed knew anything about Carey good or bad. They lumped all DO schools into the same general category and don’t know enough about them to stratify schools. See last few paragraphs in premed below.

Is Carey geared towards primary care?
Absolutely, its in the mission statement.

Is the attendance policy excessive?
Yes, according to most, but its there. Work around it.

Can I do 4th year away rotations away or in Hattiesburg?
Yes, and yes, but you need to plan them yourself. See OMS4 above

Best part about Carey?
Students 100%, also the newer, younger faculty seems to be pretty invested in the students.

Worst part?
Red tape all 4 years.

Best (most relevant to intended goal) educational aspect of Carey?
COMLEX level 2 PE prep.

Worst?
USMLE 1 or 2 anything

What is OMS1 or 2 like?
Ask an OMS1 or 2, its changed dramatically since my class.

Can I become a great Doctor after graduating Carey?
100%

OMS2-4 Q&A

Is there OMT work in OMS3 and 4?
Yes, to the very last OMS4 rotation.

Do I have to perform OMT on Rotations?

No

Should I take the USMLE?
Yes, if you want anything in ACGME other than FM or IM.

Is there an MD bias?
Not that I ever saw. Competent is competent. This seems to be a premed construct.

ACGME or AOA?
If you are class of 2019, IMO 100% ACGME if you can, IMO.
2020, this is a problem that will not exist, but the competition will no doubt increase because many AOA spots are going by the wayside.

Will I get much support with my application to residency?
No. I believe it will improve in the next few years though.

Has attending Carey helped or hurt my match?
UGH. I, along with many are very happy with match, but many are not. See OMS4 paragraphs below.

What about uber competitive specialties ex. ENT, derm etc.?

Unlikely based on past stats. If you want Derm, etc. go to a top 40 NIH funded MD school, kill the boards AND have a family member or close friend in that field. They are crazy hard to get no matter where you go!
Based on this year, if you apply from here 95%+ of you will get FM, IM, Peds, Psych, OB, ER, Gen Surg, Rads, Gas in that or similar order. There were a couple outliers this year, but this is what you can expect.

Will it help my match chances to apply in my home state?
Yes 100%

What is the 2018 placement / match rate this year?
Placement rate and match rate are vastly different things. Placement also includes AOA scramble, ACGME SOAP and post SOAP AOA empty spots, TRIs etc.
Placement rate TBD.
AOA match by school link
2018 Summary by College

Those numbers are convoluted, what does the above link mean?
Yep, that’s AOA. Basically, WCU matched similarly to the other DO schools in the AOA match.

What was the 2018 ACGME match rate?
Anecdotal at this point, nothing released by the school yet.

NRMP match link
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2018.pdf

What can I do to have the best match from Carey?
Work hard, make connections, do well on boards, be realistic about your field based on stats, be really cool to your attendings, residents, and other med students on rotations and interviews. Don’t brown nose or act like you know more than you do, it irritates PDs and attendings. Be willing to learn from anyone.

Detailed Info by year:
  • Premed students:
No offense meant, but you truly have no idea yet. Knowing undergard or grad level biochem and cell bio is a tiny fraction of med school. This is likely the single biggest decision of your life which will impact you for the next 30+ years. Listen to a wide array of people who have been through it and plan accordingly. There is a spectrum of people in med school and more specifically at Carey ranging from completely miserable to reasonably content.

I don’t remember anyone doing backflips down the hall in OMS1 or 2.

OMS3 is pretty good

4th year is awesome!

Getting in: Take all the interviews you can until you get an acceptance (or 2), then you can afford to be choosey. IMO I would NOT forego an acceptance ANYWHERE to do an MBS or the like. There is no point in adding a year of school, debt etc. to maybe have a shot at a place you may or may not like better. This process is a grind; take the bird in hand.

Getting into Carey: If you get an interview you have a great chance to be accepted unless you completely blow the interview which is very unlikely If you are waitlisted, hang in there, you still have a shot. In my first year they added people from the list until the second day of classes.

Carey vs other DO schools vs MD vs Caribbean (classic SDN debate):

In truth I hated the first two preclinical years at Carey, there are plenty of specifics as to why by other students in this thread. After two years of rotations / residency interviews meeting other DO, MD, and IMG grads, no one has told me their first two years of med school were fantastic. Many if not most of the things that infuriate students at Carey exist at the other DO schools as well.

I had several options. I chose Carey because of the students. Honestly, if I did not have the friends I made at Carey, med school would have been a lot harder. There are gunners at every school, but I think we have fewer than most.

RE: Experiences of My MD friends

Less frustration in the preclinical years

Better environment to succeed on the boards. That statement is not speculative, I have seen course materials and syllabi from friends, and it is better. MD programs have had more time to ferret out things that do not benefit the students and typically are set in established academic environments, whereas DO schools are almost universally newer and still figuring out what works. Also, keep in mind we spend 20%+ of our time on OMT material which never appears on USMLE, theoretically giving them less material to study in the same time frame.

Better opportunities to match in highly competitive fields-see above + agreements with academic hospital systems, more help from admin, advisors, match stats, connections, etc.

MD students generally have less hands-on experience in years 3-4 because there are multiple layers of students, interns, residents, fellows, etc. above them getting in on procedures and patient care.
I believe the relationships a student can make with a preceptor at Carey is one of the better selling points of the school. My LORs to ERAS were outstanding, and even better my preceptors discussed them with me prior to submission. Without question, they opened doors for me to residency interviews I may have not had if I only worked with residents and had cookie cutter fill in the blank LORs.

The IMG grads (Caribbean or elsewhere) I have met have a rough go all around. DON’T DO IT UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION!

They are basically on their own and self-study for the first two years and then struggle to get rotations in the U.S. I met an IMG MD at one of my interviews who was in her third application cycle and working as a nurse to pay loans until she found a residency. Access to good preceptors is extremely important along with a chance at an AI (acting internship) to get the attention of a specific program. The students in the Caribbean are encouraged to apply to 150-250 programs to try and get a residency spot. Again, not speculation but information offered by a Ross grad during an interview dinner. The IMGs I know lumped U.S. grads together, MD and DO when they compared their experience to ours.

• OMS1

Goal: make it unscathed to OMS2.

Don’t get caught up in the med school frenzy, politics or the like. There is plenty of time for you to worry about residency, boards etc. Grind, study your power points, do as well as you can in class to lay a framework of knowledge onto which you will add to over the next 2 years. There are many things which will infuriate you but don’t let it get to you. Getting angry with things admin does will not help you nor will it change their outlook or position. It’s going to bring you down and your relationships with your studies, family, SOs, and friends will suffer if you’re irritated from things beyond your control. You are here; suck it up and remember you will soon be a doctor. Things will get better, I promise.

Enjoy your summer, maybe do some research if you can.

• OMS2
Goal: don’t get tripped up by a class and work hard for Step/Level 1

You know how the classes work by now. Mind your attendance so you don’t fail but do what is best for your board studies. If you don’t learn from them in class, duck out and make better use of your time (while still maintaining 80%). Use your most precious commodity (time) wisely. Don’t sit back in class playing games or watching Netflix and then complain about barely passing or poor board scores. You will regret it at match time. Keep grinding and do things outside of school when you can to preserve your sanity.

UFAP (uworld first aid pathoma) or something similar. Pick a boards program and stick with it. Everybody and their brother is going to try and sell you something this year, emails, classmates trying to rep a program for a discount, sales people coming to school, you will see it all. Its all expensive. Everyone learns in their own way, looking back I used too many resources and spread myself too thin among them. I probably could have squeezed out more points by sticking with the tried and true resources. Keep in mind to do COMLEX style questions as well. It is a terribly written, vague exam but you MUST pass it.

Make sure you pass the COMSAE!!! It will mess up your study schedule if you don’t. They will probably force you to take some type of school sponsored course which is unlikely to help you as an individual. Be strategic about when you are taking step/level 1.

Begin to think about a field of interest but don’t fixate because it may change once you get into rotations.

• OMS3
Goal: Shine on rotations and get those LORs, and work hard for step 2

There are many great resources for you, onlinemeded is fantastic, FA

Figure out what you want to do when you grow up and explore that field with your electives.

MAKE CONNECTIONS where you can, it’s going to get real, and very soon. Get those VSAS apps out ASAP. The AI spots fill up fast (don’t call it an “audition rotation”, It makes you sound less informed on how the system works). ACGME calls it acting internship (AI) or externship or sub-intership (Sub-I). There are also many good non-VSAS programs including FGH in Hattiesburg. In either case book the AI early.

Boards

Remember what worked or didn’t work for you on step/level 1. No reason to reinvent the wheel. And yes, COMLEX 2 is also terribly written.

Remember you must come back for OMT or OSCE which will take a big chunk away from step/level 2 studies. Plan and schedule accordingly.

The PE: its easy. Don’t stress it. If you have done well on your rotations, it will be fine. Learn how to craft a good SOAP note, you are going to need it for many years to come. Probably the best thing Carey does is prep you for the PE. Its shockingly similar. A+ for them on this one.

• OMS4
Get AIs and WORK HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. If you are borderline on paper but kill the rotation. it may be enough to get you that residency spot. If you are great on paper but flub the rotation, you are done. Anecdotally, I have seen it work both ways.

Be fully aware of what you will need for your applications, ex. SLOEs for EM are due by September 15th and plan ahead.

Get your application into ERAS on time!!! The Dean’s letter (or MPSE) comes out in October. Don’t wait for it. Most of your interviews will be booked long before it comes out if you are on your game.

Recognize your strengths and weaknesses and be realistic about your chances; seriously, you need to do this. Are you mediocre or not so great on paper? Do you get under people’s skin? Are your preceptor reviews less than stellar?

Most people who matched in my class did this. Many people who did not match were often unrealistic with their chances into their applied field or program, conversely, there were a few in our class who were tailor made for their field and applied appropriately and unfortunately, it didn’t work out for them. That’s not to say don’t shoot for the moon but have a plan B just in case. There are alternative paths if you do not match ex. TRI.

Remember that when you get to this point it is a job. Refer to the program director survey on the ACGME website to see what is important in obtaining a residency.

Among ALL specialties factors and importance for ranking applicants post interview # 1-4 have nothing to do with scores/ class rank (link below). I am by no means diminishing the importance of board scores. They are very important, and extremely important for a highly competitive specialty. But, keep in mind PD (program directors), faculty and residents want to know if they can work with you for long hours under high stress for 3-5 years straight. Being a decent and modest student/ person and having genuine interest in the field will serve you well in your journey.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

MIC DROPPED. GOOD LUCK ALL!
I can’t thank you enough! Your post is hands down the most thorough, non-biased, and informative ever!

So that others don't misinterpret, No research is not a negative in the majority of fields and for many medical students the pursuit of research may result in an opportunity cost in another part of your application, including your own mental health, which may not pan out to benefit you as much as you had hoped. This is why 9 out 10 times I will advice students to avoid seeking research as a DO student. Now if you happen to have an awesome preceptor that has a great case to write up by all means do it. Be careful about starting bench research for a professor at the school or some place else.

Again research will help your application yes but often less than many people think and not having it will not hurt you unless you are gunning for an ultra competitive field. ( If you are gunning for an ultra competitive field a lack of research is the least of your problems)

Everything has a cost...

Can anyone post the match list for this school? I cant seem to find it anywhere on their website.