2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last years thread had a lot of information both + and - which I agree with for the most part. I am finding more benefits in 3rd year, we have ER rotation and 2 electives which a lot of schools dont have and in 4th year we do 1/2 our rotations medicine and 1/2 surgery and we can choose. I wish we had an affiliated hospital and could get more experience that way but thats not going to change any time soon. There is more busy work 3rd year than other schools have but I'd trade that for an elective any day.

Also consider that the merger is going to substantially decrease the number of residency spots and you want to look as competitive as possible, most places still think MD's are superior and definitely older DO schools look better; even though ours isn't the youngest anymore. Research is hard to come by. Our board scores this year have been very good, but many of us think its because of the attendance policy that was waived second semester on top of us studying very hard independently and not trusting what the school said. I dont know if they're going to waive the attendance policy again.

Whether its worth putting up with the first 2 years is up to you. I think you're right by asking questions. Factor in that any place you go is going to be hard and stress you so people are going to be unhappy and complain (especially on anonymous social media) but some of us are also hoping people will come in with an almost "informed consent"; you need to feel out the people and see where you feel supported and where you can make it through with your mental health intact.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning!! Excited! (Secondary on 8/10)

Reactions: 1 users
I got a II this morning, but I might cancel. Can anyone give me a good reason to go or not? I have been already accepted to 1 DO school thus far and I'm attending 2 more in October. This will be my 5th one if I do attend. Any students willing to have a chat with me personally?

Has anyone committed to going here for fall 2018? If so, is there a FB group?

Well said. I'm 2 months into Year 1 and have been fairly impressed so far. The 2nd years are extremely helpful, and the instructors have been above average. Our class also gets along really well, which is a plus. There are some aspects that suck (Integrated exams, OMT taken WAY too seriously, Mandatory Attendance), but besides that, I'm pretty happy here.

@WorldChanger36 did Carey release the C/O 2021's matriculating stats? I am curious.
Nope. Ask at the town hall and post it here.

I got a II this morning, but I might cancel. Can anyone give me a good reason to go or not? I have been already accepted to 1 DO school thus far and I'm attending 2 more in October. This will be my 5th one if I do attend. Any students willing to have a chat with me personally?
I would say skip it. You seem pretty set anyway.

Can anyone comment on the cost of attendance? What is the maximum allowance for living expenses, etc?

I believe for us this year is was ~$75k if you took the maximum (Stafford + Grad Plus)

You shouldn't need that much. I pay $500/mo for rent, and that's my largest expense by far. Water/Electric runs me ~$60/mo (we keep the apartment COLD). Wi-Fi is included. Everything is pretty cheap here.
Thank you!

Hey guys and gals,

Wall of text incoming…..

Currently a student here. Just wanted to say if you do have an interview, then definitely take it. Everyone is different and the only way to truly know if a school is a good fit is to go and see it in person. I understand if you are from far away...that complicates things, but if you do have the means to come check it out then please do come check it out, I'm glad I did. If you get an interview here then they want you.

Class stats for 2021 (I'm using some small estimates from last year's numbers but these should be fairly accurate, if I'm wrong then someone correct me please)
I believe there were around 2500 applicants, around 300-ish interviews, and about 100 admitted from what I've gathered. There are about 20+ states, and 2 countries represented in this most recent class. Texas, Louisiana, Florida, make up most of the class. There are less than ten Mississippi residents. There are students from California, New York, Washington,.. all over. Also, there are a lot of people with graduate a couple doctoral degrees in advanced sciences. Average age is around 26 I think.

My opinion on the place:
Can't speak for the third year rotation issues, but as far as curriculum and subject matter....I have been pleased thus far. I attended a challenging master's program before going here and took many of the classes I am currently enrolled in, and as a result my transition has not been difficult. The depth and involvement of the material is what one would expect at a medical school. I make sure I know what the teacher emphasizes in lecture and then review with BRS and First Aid Books to ensure I'm covering anything the professors did not spend a lot of time on, but overall, I am pleased with the quality of education I am receiving and the professors are accommodating. I will say this, they will not hold your hand here. They give you the opportunity to excel and succeed, but if you come here and think you will be handed your degree, then you're going to have a bad time. Unfortunately, there are people figuring this out the hard way. You can fail here. It happens, and you have to re-mediate your first year.

WCUCOM pumps out surgeons, FM, internal, EM, peds, and many other specialties. They will stress that they really want to graduate primary care positions, and they take steps to do so like having you take clinical training classes immediately as a first year. There is a lot of “busy work” here, and it can get annoying at times, but in the end, I believe it will help make me you a more well-rounded physician, regardless of where you wind up. Also, OPP (Osteopathic stuff) here is no joke. I still do not know what to make of it….seems this class would be greater appreciated if we took it during breaks instead of stacked on everything else. It also seems kind of unorganized at times because it doesn't line up with current systems being covered in other courses. Here everything is integrated, and that’s not just a tag line, they do a good job of keeping it integrated, and that helps in understanding and studying, but OPP is all over the place. The professors are serious about it, and they are great at what they do. I was kind of skeptical about it, but after a professor comes over and shows you something properly, it will change your mind. There is definitely a use for OPP in a primary or family practice for pain management. Not going to lie, sometimes it’s a good stress reliever when you’ve been hunched over books all day and your classmate is giving you some MFR or ST work.

Residencies in the Area:
There are residency programs at two hospitals in Hattiesburg, (IM, EM, Family Medicine offered) and I believe one of them is DO only, there are several more residency programs at other non-university hospitals and trauma centers in the state and immediate area as well, so there are several close options for training post medical school that WCUCOM has begun to establish a presence.

*Side note* People talking about this residency shortage after the merger haven't looked at the numbers, if they did they would see that there were over a thousand residency slots that did not get filled last year in the US.

WCUCOM started seven years ago, so their practicing alumni base is currently small, and as time progresses and they put more doctors into the workforce; their network and hub site situation will surely improve. I think people forget that this year, 2017 is the first time WCUCOM will have full time practicing physicians available to lean on, as the first class of 2010 is now finished with residency if they did a just three year one.

*Another Side Note*: I have been pleasantly surprised by Hattiesburg. It’s just big enough to have something to do on the few days we have free, but not big enough that it is a distraction from what’s important, MED SCHOOL! It’s not far from bigger places like New Orleans or the Emerald Coast of FL.

Other General Information I considered:

Basic Rundown of MD vs DO residency information for interested people.

Numbers from 2016 Match Data for NRMP (THE MATCH) and some addition information from the AOA Match (DO only). Pretty interesting stuff. I used this data, and data from prior years to help guide me in deciding which school I should attend. I have 2016 posted because it is the most recent.

I went as far back as the data took me and found that the trend is this:

Each year DO's become a larger share of the Physician workforce, and as such we will demand more positions. Also, using census data I found that, (combining MD, DO, and IM) physician growth rates for past decade and future classes and schools (Schools that will be opening in the next several years and current schools) that the US general population will grow far faster than the physician workforce. Over 1000 residency spots go unfilled each year. There are places for training.

Image of the basic breakdown. Data pulled from yearly NRMP report. (See attached Image)

Notable pages of the report found in the attached PDF
- Page 25: Number of positions offered vs filled by specialty
- Page 30: MD Match % breakdown by specialty
- Page 31: DO Match % breakdown by specialty
-Page 50: Matches by State and Specialty (Filled vs Unfilled)

PM me for any questions and I’ll try to answer them.

Attachments

• MDandDO2016Match.JPG
    MDandDO2016Match.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf
    519.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys and gals,

Wall of text incoming…..

Currently a student here. Just wanted to say if you do have an interview, then definitely take it. Everyone is different and the only way to truly know if a school is a good fit is to go and see it in person. I understand if you are from far away...that complicates things, but if you do have the means to come check it out then please do come check it out, I'm glad I did. If you get an interview here then they want you.

Class stats for 2021 (I'm using some small estimates from last year's numbers but these should be fairly accurate, if I'm wrong then someone correct me please)
I believe there were around 2500 applicants, around 300-ish interviews, and about 100 admitted from what I've gathered. There are about 20+ states, and 2 countries represented in this most recent class. Texas, Louisiana, Florida, make up most of the class. There are less than ten Mississippi residents. There are students from California, New York, Washington,.. all over. Also, there are a lot of people with graduate a couple doctoral degrees in advanced sciences. Average age is around 26 I think.

My opinion on the place:
Can't speak for the third year rotation issues, but as far as curriculum and subject matter....I have been pleased thus far. I attended a challenging master's program before going here and took many of the classes I am currently enrolled in, and as a result my transition has not been difficult. The depth and involvement of the material is what one would expect at a medical school. I make sure I know what the teacher emphasizes in lecture and then review with BRS and First Aid Books to ensure I'm covering anything the professors did not spend a lot of time on, but overall, I am pleased with the quality of education I am receiving and the professors are accommodating. I will say this, they will not hold your hand here. They give you the opportunity to excel and succeed, but if you come here and think you will be handed your degree, then you're going to have a bad time. Unfortunately, there are people figuring this out the hard way. You can fail here. It happens, and you have to re-mediate your first year.

WCUCOM pumps out surgeons, FM, internal, EM, peds, and many other specialties. They will stress that they really want to graduate primary care positions, and they take steps to do so like having you take clinical training classes immediately as a first year. There is a lot of “busy work” here, and it can get annoying at times, but in the end, I believe it will help make me you a more well-rounded physician, regardless of where you wind up. Also, OPP (Osteopathic stuff) here is no joke. I still do not know what to make of it….seems this class would be greater appreciated if we took it during breaks instead of stacked on everything else. It also seems kind of unorganized at times. Here everything is integrated, and that’s not just a tag line, they do a good job of keeping it integrated, but OPP is all over the place. I’m waiting for it to all come back together. The professors are serious about it, and they are good at what they do. Not going to lie, sometimes it’s a good stress reliever when you’ve been hunched over books all day and your classmate is giving you some MFR or ST work.

Residencies in the Area:
There are residency programs at two hospitals in Hattiesburg, (IM, EM, Family Medicine offered) and I believe one of them is DO only, there are several more residency programs at other non-university hospitals in the state as well, so there are several options for training post medical school.

*Side note* People talking about this residency shortage after the merger haven't looked at the numbers, if they did they would see that there were over a thousand residency slots that did not get filled last year in the US.

WCUCOM started seven years ago, so their practicing alumni base is currently small, and as time progresses and they put more doctors into the workforce; their network and hub site situation will surely improve. I think people forget that this year, 2017 is the first time WCUCOM will have full time practicing physicians available to lean on, as the first class of 2010 is now finished with residency if they did a just three year one.

*Another Side Note*: I have been pleasantly surprised by Hattiesburg. It’s just big enough to have something to do on the few days we have free, but not big enough that it is a distraction from what’s important, MED SCHOOL! It’s not far from bigger places like New Orleans or the Emerald Coast of FL.

Other General Information I considered:

Basic Rundown of MD vs DO residency information for interested people.

Numbers from 2016 Match Data for NRMP (THE MATCH) and some addition information from the AOA Match (DO only). Pretty interesting stuff. I looked at this when considered where to make a decision for school as well as year prior.

I went as far back as the data took me and found that the trend is this:

Each year DO's become a larger share of the Physician workforce, and as such we will demand more positions. Also, using census data I found that, (combining MD, DO, and IM) physician growth rates for past decade and future classes and schools (Schools that will be opening in the next several years and current schools) that the US general population will grow far faster than the physician workforce. Over 1000 residency spots go unfilled each year. There are places for training.

Image of the basic breakdown. Data pulled from yearly NRMP report. (See attached Image)

Notable pages of the report found in the attached PDF
- Page 25: Number of positions offered vs filled by specialty
- Page 30: MD Match % breakdown by specialty
- Page 31: DO Match % breakdown by specialty
-Page 50: Matches by State and Specialty (Filled vs Unfilled)

PM me for any questions and I’ll try to answer them.

Thnx for posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo,

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant or anything about the South, I legitimately don't know. But for current students that are brown/black, do you experience any racism (subtle or direct)?

Yo,

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant or anything about the South, I legitimately don't know. But for current students that are brown/black, do you experience any racism (subtle or direct)?
YES people are directly racist. Most of the time its not intended. For the most part everybody is fine and this isn't a big deal breaker. Sexism is way worse in Hattiesburg for sure.

Yo,

It's a meme. Just be polite and respectful to your neighbor and no one will bother you. Be a jerk and you may get a response in kind.

We just had town hall last week and the following things were emphasized:

2017 COMLEX Scores were far and away the best WCUCOM has ever had (good job @WorldChanger36 ;) ). Hmmm, and guess what they didn't have last semester? An attendance policy. I think Dean Turner has finally seen the light and we were told that he will sign off on whatever choice the Curriculum Council makes at the end of the semester (Fingers Crossed). As for actual scores, we were told that Pharmacology and Pathology were the highest scoring sections by WCUCOM students (Above the nat'l average), while all other sections were at or slightly below nat'l average.

Anyways, that's about all we were able to hear before people had to leave for our integrated exam. I hope that helps.

Where can we see the COMLEX scores?

Primary submitted 10/2

Secondary received 10/5

File complete 10/12

Invited to interview 10/19 for 10/27

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Primary submitted 10/2

Secondary received 10/5

File complete 10/12

Invited to interview 10/19 for 10/27

Did you get the option to choose your interview date?

Undergrad cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4

4.0 grad GPA

504 MCAT

And I’m IS, but I have no idea if that really matters.

We just had town hall last week and the following things were emphasized:

2017 COMLEX Scores were far and away the best WCUCOM has ever had (good job @WorldChanger36 ;) ). Hmmm, and guess what they didn't have last semester? An attendance policy. I think Dean Turner has finally seen the light and we were told that he will sign off on whatever choice the Curriculum Council makes at the end of the semester (Fingers Crossed). As for actual scores, we were told that Pharmacology and Pathology were the highest scoring sections by WCUCOM students (Above the nat'l average), while all other sections were at or slightly below nat'l average.

Anyways, that's about all we were able to hear before people had to leave for our integrated exam. I hope that helps.
Ha thanks. We try hard... However don't look at our scores and think the school is gonna change anything in your favor. This has happened and we have heard it before. What Turner means by he will sign off on whatever the curriculum council chooses means he has washed his hands of the whole thing and its up to the faculty ( not the students). Do you honestly think those same faculty are going to vote the relevancy of their jobs away? Doesn't sound very likely to me. So even if they do change the attendance policy they will have some clause you can't be on academic warning then send out academic warning like candy.
Also please be careful how you look at this performance on the COMLEX. It does not transfer/ translate to strong USMLE scores. We had a few 240s ( 3 people) a few 230s and the rest were in the 220 and 210s.

I have an II!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I applied back in August; however, WC just received my September MCAT scores making my application complete. I haven't received any sort of correspondence from WC that they received my aacomas application or for applying in the first place. Is this an error/ do they not send anything at all unless you get a secondary?

Yeah, I realize that. We will see. There's talk of only doing it for OMSII's, which makes sense. I think that would appease the professors that really care about attendance.
I still wouldn't count on it. Hell don't even hope for it. Just be completely shocked if it does happen and enjoy it for as long as you can.

Can someone tell me the difference between List all activities (e.g., employment, travel) that account for your time while earning and since earning a bachelor’s degree and List all extracurricular, volunteer, or vocational activities you participated in while in college on the secondary application questions? Should I not mention my volunteering during college for the first question or just repeat it for both??

So I only have one question that asks for activities while in college. Am I missing something or did they update their secondary?

What’s the format of the interview here?

How many people are being interviewed on one day? What’s the schedule like?

Anywhere from 6-8 people are interviewed on a given day. You start with an orientation session, move on to a tour of the facilities, lunch with current students, and then interview.

Just interviewed here. Very impressed by the faculty, staff and the students who took us out for lunch. Everyone’s hospitable and friendly. The town and the campus itself was a pleasant surprise, and the food is amazing!

Anyone who’s looking to interview here, you need to visit and really get a feel of the place. To me, coming from a small Texan town next to a big city, it felt homely.

Does this school send any confirmation letter/ how long does it take to receive the secondary usually after submitting the primary app.

Does this school send any confirmation letter/ how long does it take to receive the secondary usually after submitting the primary app.

You aren’t guaranteed a secondary at William Carey, but it can take them from a few days to months to get one. If you haven’t heard anything yet, they’re probably still occasionally reviewing your primary application to determine your competitiveness. Don’t stress too much though. They’ve been known to interview all the way through June or July.

Congrats! Did you receive a phone call or email?

I called at 1:05PM CDT and was informed by Dr. Weir (after being transferred). He was extremely receptive to the call, so I would say go ahead and contact them. He stated that official decisions would be in the mail tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
I called at 1:05PM CDT and was informed by Dr. Weir (after being transferred). He was extremely receptive to the call, so I would say go ahead and contact them. He stated that official decisions would be in the mail tomorrow.
Just called (thanks to you!) and ACCEPTED!

So they will not call us, we will receive decisions by mail?

Congrats to all accepted. Do not let the enticement of the moment cloud your judgement and cause you to make a hasty choice. It matters where you go to medical school and with the residency match becoming more and more selective each year make sure you choose the best medical school you can get into.

Reactions: 7 users
I am fortunate enough to have received an acceptance as well!

Thanks for the words of wisdom WorldChanger36. I am of the attitude that you can either not learn becuase of a program or learn in spite of a program. I had a professor that stated he attended a so-so PhD program and it did not educate or challenge him as he would have liked. He ended up becoming one of the best in his field because he learned despite his program's deficiencies.

Medical school is a door and dedicated self-learning is the road. Given the choice between multiple medical school acceptances I would certainly choose the better paved road though, ha!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys MS1 here, I highly recommend you guys look for a school that doesn't try to fail their students. I don't have time to write a full post as I have a test on Monday, but I highly recommend you guys to go back and read of all Worldchanger's old posts. He is spot on for everything he has said about this school and also read old threads. Thanks goodluck

Hey guys MS1 here, I highly recommend you guys look for a school that doesn't try to fail their students. I don't have time to write a full post as I have a test on Monday, but I highly recommend you guys to go back and read of all Worldchanger's old posts. He is spot on for everything he has said about this school and also read old threads. Thanks goodluck

How do they try to fail you?