General 2017 Doctoral Public Health (PhD, DrPH, ScD) Admission Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPH2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It doesn't look like anyone started a thread for the doctoral programs yet this cycle.

I wanted to start one and check whether people have heard from any programs (whether it be for interviews or acceptance).

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good idea. I applied to the Harvard PHS PhD (nutrition) but haven't heard anything back yet, not even a "your application is complete" email. :confused:

Good idea. I applied to the Harvard PHS PhD (nutrition) but haven't heard anything back yet, not even a "your application is complete" email. :confused:

Nice, I heard they haven't released any decisions. I looked into their PHS program too in pharmacoepi. Have they provided any other info? Any other schools/programs you are looking into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, I heard they haven't released any decisions. I looked into their PHS program too in pharmacoepi. Have they provided any other info? Any other schools/programs you are looking into?
Nope, I put all of my eggs into one basket this year. I live in Boston so I figure I will continue to build experience and then apply more broadly next year if I don't get in this year. The PHS program aligns really well with my interests, so I'm willing to delay for another year.

Nope, I put all of my eggs into one basket this year. I live in Boston so I figure I will continue to build experience and then apply more broadly next year if I don't get in this year. The PHS program aligns really well with my interests, so I'm willing to delay for another year.

I hear you, I am currently in the Bay Area (San Francisco). And looking at programs here, but I did apply to others. Am waiting to hear from potential programs but nothing yet.

Does Harvard interview candidates?

I hear you, I am currently in the Bay Area (San Francisco). And looking at programs here, but I did apply to others. Am waiting to hear from potential programs but nothing yet.

Does Harvard interview candidates?
To my knowledge Harvard does not interview for the PHS program, but they do for the DrPH program. Where did you apply?

To my knowledge Harvard does not interview for the PHS program, but they do for the DrPH program. Where did you apply?
Someone at the Harvard admissions office told me that they only interview DrPH candidates who they have follow-up questions for, eg. if something was unclear on their application or they want to know more about an aspect of a person, but I got the sense from Student Doctor Network forums and Grad Cafe Forums that all successful DrPH candidates had received invitations to interview. Anyone have more info?

Has anyone received an interview request from the DrPH programs at Johns Hopkins, Harvard, or BU?

Has anyone received an interview request from the DrPH programs at Johns Hopkins, Harvard, or BU?

Hi all! I did receive an interview invite for BU--haven't had the interview yet.

Does anyone know if the new JHSPH online DrPH is doing interviews as part of the admissions process?

Hi all! I did receive an interview invite for BU--haven't had the interview yet.

Does anyone know if the new JHSPH online DrPH is doing interviews as part of the admissions process?
I'm wondering the same thing. I just got my first interview request (of 4 I applied to) last week. But haven't heard from Hopkins, hsph or bu other than my app being complete and sent for review. Do you mind sharing when you applied to BU and when you received your interview invite?

Anyone apply to Columbia for any of their programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same thing. I just got my first interview request (of 4 I applied to) last week. But haven't heard from Hopkins, hsph or bu other than my app being complete and sent for review. Do you mind sharing when you applied to BU and when you received your interview invite?

Congrats! And sure-I applied about a week before the Dec 1st deadline, and got the invite last week.

Hello all,
Good luck to ya'll!
Heard back from two so far, no decision, though.

DrPH - University of Georgia (UGA): (January 19th)
Supplementary Essay Request: “What leadership and management abilities do you hope to gain from the DrPH program to strengthen or reinforce the context of your work?” (Up to 500 words)

DrPH - The Georgia Southern University: (January 25th)
"The Jiann Ping Hsu College of Public Health (JPHCOPH) has forwarded the recommended admission decision to the Georgia Southern University College of Graduate Studies." Whatever that means......

Someone at the Harvard admissions office told me that they only interview DrPH candidates who they have follow-up questions for, eg. if something was unclear on their application or they want to know more about an aspect of a person, but I got the sense from Student Doctor Network forums and Grad Cafe Forums that all successful DrPH candidates had received invitations to interview. Anyone have more info?
They told me they aren't doing any interviews this year - but I got the same impression from grad cafe

They told me they aren't doing any interviews this year - but I got the same impression from grad cafe

Did you chat with the DrPH office or the general HSPH admissions office? I really thought DrPH interviews were a big part of the admissions process because they were so selective of the cohorts and fit was a big concern. :confused:

Did anyone receive an email from the HSPH Admissions office clarifying the "Acknowledgment" portion of their application and asking for a response? It got caught in my email promotions filter because it came from a donotreply address.

Did anyone receive an email from the HSPH Admissions office clarifying the "Acknowledgment" portion of their application and asking for a response? It got caught in my email promotions filter because it came from a donotreply address.
When was it sent??

Did you chat with the DrPH office or the general HSPH admissions office? I really thought DrPH interviews were a big part of the admissions process because they were so selective of the cohorts and fit was a big concern. :confused:
Just checked - it was an email, and it was HSPH

I got an interview invite yesterday! Have you had your interview?

Congratulations! I have had the interview (assuming you're talking about BU). PM me if you have specific questions :)

Just checked - it was an email, and it was HSPH

Just wanted to add that I've also received info now indicating that Harvard DrPH isn't interviewing this year. We'll see!!

Congratulations! I have had the interview (assuming you're talking about BU). PM me if you have specific questions :)

Just wanted to add that I've also received info now indicating that Harvard DrPH isn't interviewing this year. We'll see!!
I will PM you about BU. I just received an interview invite for Harvard DrPH! Received early this morning.

I got an invitation for Harvard DrPH interview earlier this morning too! (1 A.m. boston time...what are they doing up that late??) I guess they are still interviewing this year. The email says that interviews will be held until 6th Feb

Reactions: 1 user
hey all! I have a doctoral interview next week. Any idea what types of things they are looking for in the interview/what questions are asked? I'm really really nervous

hey all! I have a doctoral interview next week. Any idea what types of things they are looking for in the interview/what questions are asked? I'm really really nervous
I've only had a couple of phone or Skype interviews, but I've found they've generally all asked some variation of "Why a PhD?" "Why this institution?" and then "What are your research interests?" If its a specific professor that conducts research in the same area (which is who I've generally been matched with in my interviews thus far), then they have also generally wanted to discuss how your interests might align with theirs, and there could be some discussion of current opportunities they have for incoming PhD students. I was also incredibly nervous, but found that rehearsing and even writing out my responses to the questions above has helped me perform even when my voice gets all shaky! :) Best of luck - I'm sure you'll kill it!!

I got an invitation for Harvard DrPH interview earlier this morning too! (1 A.m. boston time...what are they doing up that late??) I guess they are still interviewing this year. The email says that interviews will be held until 6th Feb
Can you share your stats?

Thanks so much for the update. Good luck! Hopefully others of us will hear too, but if interviews are only being held for the Harvard DrPH until Feb 6th then it makes me pessimistic... Fingers crossed!

Still no interview request from Harvard... has anyone heard of candidates getting accepted with an interview (DrPH)? Did others apply to schools other than Harvard. It was the only place I applied as I felt the program was unique. What to others think?

Last edited:
Still no interview request from Harvard... has anyone heard of candidates getting accepted with an interview (DrPH)? Did others apply to schools other than Harvard. It was the only place I applied as I felt the program was unique. What to others think? Also...
Grad school: MHA Columbia, GPA: 3.94
Undergrad: Applied Math & Econ, Minor in Physics, FAU, GPA: 3.3
GRE: V162, M157, W5.0
Work: Healthcare strategy consultant for pharma, providers and payers
Other: Adjunct faculty, multiple industry publications (non-research)

Has anyone heard from Hopkins or Columbia's DrPH program? Do either of them offer interviews?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Hopkins or Columbia's DrPH program? Do either of them offer interviews?

Columbia has already started interviews (around first week of February) according to people in the forums. They interview DrPH and phD candidates concurrently.

Not sure about Hopkins. I assume they interview people too.

Trying to crack the Hopkins nut myself. I haven't heard of any interviews, but I'm trying to resist the urge to email them and ask, as they did send out an email back in January saying not to expect to hear anything til February or March. I'm traveling with 0 internet access all next week so I'm hoping to come back to a happy surprise :)

Anyone got decision from Harvard DrPh Admission office? Thx!

Hi all, I just spoke with Gary Williams, who is the DrPH Program Administrator at Harvard. He indicated that interviews are in fact a requirement for DrPH applicants, meaning that if an applicant does not receive an interview invitation then they will not move forward in the selection process. He clarified that the interview process is continuing through this week and that decisions might start to come out by next week. His advice was that if I don't hear about an interview by tomorrow then it is very unlikely that I will be interviewed. He was concerned that any admissions folks were telling applicants that interviews are only done in cases where clarification is sought; he said they are definitely required. In light of this, I recommended that he might want to follow up with the admissions department and perhaps consider putting that info on the admissions website, so that future applicants have a better sense of the process. He wasn't sure whether feedback would be available to applicants who don't receive an offer to the program, and he is going to email me back once he finds out. It would be nice to hear if there are any ways to strengthen an application for future. Congratulations to those of you who have received an interview invitation!!!!

Did anyone get an interview for Harvards PhD program????

I'm guessing Johns Hopkins is not interviewing for the DrPH? The program starts in June; you would think someone would have received an interview invitation by now. Has anyone heard anything at all from that program? It's the only program I applied to where I have not heard a peep.

Hi all, I just spoke with Gary Williams, who is the DrPH Program Administrator at Harvard. He indicated that interviews are in fact a requirement for DrPH applicants, meaning that if an applicant does not receive an interview invitation then they will not move forward in the selection process. He clarified that the interview process is continuing through this week and that decisions might start to come out by next week. His advice was that if I don't hear about an interview by tomorrow then it is very unlikely that I will be interviewed. He was concerned that any admissions folks were telling applicants that interviews are only done in cases where clarification is sought; he said they are definitely required. In light of this, I recommended that he might want to follow up with the admissions department and perhaps consider putting that info on the admissions website, so that future applicants have a better sense of the process. He wasn't sure whether feedback would be available to applicants who don't receive an offer to the program, and he is going to email me back once he finds out. It would be nice to hear if there are any ways to strengthen an application for future. Congratulations to those of you who have received an interview invitation!!!!

I just called the admissions office and it confirm that this information is incorrect!

Nope. Anyone heard from HSPH or JHU?
I've had my interview with HSPH DrPH Committee member 2 weeks ago, and last week they invite me for another interview with the Dean of Academic Affairs. I am unsure why the double interview, but the second one asked more about leadership roles. Anyone else got a second interview?