~~~****~~~2017 Med-Peds Match Results~~~***~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Otsile2367

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'd love to hear how everything shook out for those of you who matched med-peds this year (or tried to match and are now enacting your contingency plan). I liked Tantacles's format from the 2016 post and thought we could do the same for 2017:

School:
Step Scores:
Grades:
Research:
AOA:
Gold Humanism:
Rank
:
Interview Invites:
Rejections:
Other:

Matched (+ # on ROL):

Advice
:

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
-Otsile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa.... not at all once you crazy soon-to-be-doctors, you.

I'll try one more time to bump this and see if I get any bites. Would love to learn from y'all's experiences!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll try one more time to bump this and see if I get any bites. Would love to learn from y'all's experiences!

Unfortunately, these generally fail unless started by someone who actually matched, and even then, this year's class has really only been active in the interview invitation thread.

I would take a look at last year's match results thread.

And keep in mind that on the internal medicine side, there are 10's of thousands of positions, and only about 60 people post in the results thread. Med-peds has a paltry 200ish.

I'll bite. Being vague to maintain some semblance of anonymity.

School: Top 10 MD
Step Scores: 250/260
Grades: Honors on 5 rotations, including IM/peds
Research: Few pubs, no first authors
AOA: Yes
Gold Humanism: Yes
Interview Invites: 27
Rejections: 0
Other: Withdrew from 1

Matched (+ # on ROL): #3 -- a top northeast program, so I'm incredibly happy.

Advice
: Apply broadly. Go off of gut feeling. The top few programs are highly competitive. Many people who applied med/peds this last cycle didn't end up at their #1 choices, based on the small sample of people I talked to.

Reactions: 1 users
School: Top 40 MD
Step Scores: 230's / 230's
Grades: Honored peds, IM, sub-is and all fourth year electives
Research: several projects, some manuscripts drafted but no publications
AOA: no
Gold Humanism: no
Interview Invites: 16
Rejections: 5
Other: declined one interview

Matched (+ # on ROL): #1 - competitive east coast program

Advice
: Honoring IM and peds, good board score, and AOA/GHHS will get you all the top interviews. If you have some of those but not all, you'll probably get a lot of top tier interviews. If you have a great application but none of those things, you might get a few top tier ones. There are SO many good programs, and the top few are very selective (everyone wants to go to Penn and Brigham). So if you are ranking those #1, make sure you will be happy at your #2, #3, #4, etc. I have friends who had all the magic things (and then some) and yet did not match at their #1. Regardless of a tinge of disappointment on match day, they are happy with where they ended up.

I'll bite. Being vague to maintain some semblance of anonymity.

School: Top 10 MD
Step Scores: 250/260
Grades: Honors on 5 rotations, including IM/peds
Research: Few pubs, no first authors
AOA: Yes
Gold Humanism: Yes
Interview Invites: 27
Rejections: 0
Other: Withdrew from 1

Matched (+ # on ROL): #3 -- a top northeast program, so I'm incredibly happy.

Advice
: Apply broadly. Go off of gut feeling. The top few programs are highly competitive. Many people who applied med/peds this last cycle didn't end up at their #1 choices, based on the small sample of people I talked to.

I have a guess as to who you are! Two guesses, actually, because I remember two people who fit your description who interviewed at my program! Don't worry! Won't share that guess!

Large dogs

I have a guess as to who you are! Two guesses, actually, because I remember two people who fit your description who interviewed at my program! Don't worry! Won't share that guess!

My descriptors must have been (desirably) generic, because I don't think I interviewed at your program!

Reactions: 1 user
As an INTJ, I'd say three and a half months is a good response time. Might as well do this.

School
: One of the big, well known Caribbean schools
Step Scores: 240s/250s
Grades: Honors in Peds, ObGyn, and Psych, High pass in Med and Surgery
Research: Unfortunately no.
AOA: N/A
Gold Humanism: No. Personal biases against humanism.
Interview Invites: 20
Rejections: 40
Other: Couldn't go on one interview due to scheduling. Also applied Peds but didn't go on any interviews.

Matched (+ # on ROL): #3, a midwest university program, I guess I'll call it a solid medium M medium P type place.

Advice
: For better or certainly worse, I don't have any real ties to location, so I wanted to see as many places as I could. While #1 and #2 pretty much stayed there throughout the process, the place I matched was barely on my list at the start. Certainly, I ranked it above some places that were more recognizable, at least as far as names were concerned, in cities I wasn't thrilled about. In the end, on every interview, I thought to myself, "this is a place I could see myself spending the next 4+ years" at least once. I talked to many applicants whose top choice was a place I ranked near the bottom of my list, and some of the places that didn't fill were relatively high. My advice is the same as everyone else; apply broadly, go in with an open mind, go with your gut, and enjoy the ride.

Wow, thanks y'all. Hadn't checked this thread in a while. Thanks for being the first :)