2017 Pain Board Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

11/10Pain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the exam today.

Fair overall...LONG stems and some obscure questions.

What did others think?

Members don't see this ad.

Took the exam today.

Fair overall...LONG stems and some obscure questions.

What did others think?

I thought there were a lot of straight forward questions through the first 100 questions; the second 100 was a different story. I know I can't get too specific but I thought there was quite a bit of peds, pregnancy, and psych! There wasn't one opioid conversion question. Still can't believe two of the answer choices were between nonpeptidergic vs peptidergic C fibers (seriously??!)! Two of the answer choices for superior hypogastic plexus blocks were both indications and they were asking to choose between them. Question on empathy bias, which was cheap and sleazy. Don't mean to sound bitter, but I feel like this test really didn't test my knowledge in pain management. It was a weird smattering of random and sometimes obscure topics. Oh well; hopefully I passed.

Yeah I thought it was 50% fair 50% obscureish....second half was way harder. I think the pain in service was pretty similar. Also board vitals was really good with some questions being verbatim. Also the asra pain questions were very high yield.

Yeah I just hope I passed too. I think I did but it wouldn't surprise me too much if I didn't. The thing is I don't know how I would study again because a lot of questions asked were so random. That being said board vitals was a good indicator of what's tested

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I thought it was 50% fair 50% obscureish....second half was way harder. I think the pain in service was pretty similar. Also board vitals was really good with some questions being verbatim. Also the asra pain questions were very high yield.

Yeah I just hope I passed too. I think I did but it wouldn't surprise me too much if I didn't. The thing is I don't know how I would study again because a lot of questions asked were so random. That being said board vitals was a good indicator of what's tested

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Where can the ASRA pain questions be found?

Any idea when scores are coming out???

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing yet for ABPMR...probably tomorrow.

Scores out! Pass! Recipe for pass: try to get through as many board vitals and the ASRA questions. If I have to choose one just the ASRA questions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Scores out! Pass! Recipe for pass: try to get through as many board vitals and the ASRA questions. If I have to choose one just the ASRA questions

ASRA questions (and explainations specifically) were fantastic
board vitals were overall the best for a large board q bank, and up to date with references as recent at 2017
following that the passmachine questions, well written and referenced
following that the painexam.com questions, most recent references around 2011, but most from 2007-9

Reactions: 2 users
ASRA questions (and explainations specifically) were fantastic
board vitals were overall the best for a large board q bank, and up to date with references as recent at 2017
following that the passmachine questions, well written and referenced
following that the painexam.com questions, most recent references around 2011, but most from 2007-9

I'll take that as a compliment! =)

Last edited:
Hey now that the exam is over and I passed I have a question for people: Does passing this exam even matter? I can't help but feel it was kind of a waste of money. No job I've ever applied with asked about board certified only if board eligible and or if I did an ACGME residency.....

Hey now that the exam is over and I passed I have a question for people: Does passing this exam even matter? I can't help but feel it was kind of a waste of money. No job I've ever applied with asked about board certified only if board eligible and or if I did an ACGME residency.....

I remember what one of my sage anesthesiology attending used to tell us when we were residents: The Boards mean absolutely nothing.................once you have them.

Reactions: 1 users

Being board certified in pain medicine in this climate is a good thing. While some PP jobs might not care about it, academic jobs will. I suspect that as the opioid crisis intensifies- and the spotlight is shone brighter on pain management- hospital systems may start caring more about it too.

Congratulations on completing the final hurdle. It is an achievement to be celebrated and something that sets you apart.

- ex 61N

Being board certified in pain medicine in this climate is a good thing. While some PP jobs might not care about it, academic jobs will. I suspect that as the opioid crisis intensifies- and the spotlight is shone brighter on pain management- hospital systems may start caring more about it too.

Congratulations on completing the final hurdle. It is an achievement to be celebrated and something that sets you apart.

- ex 61N
Pass here as well. All my recent private practice and hospital contracts when going through a recent interview cycle included that you must be board certified within 3 years or you can be fired with cause. They stated it did make a significant difference in their insurance premiums regarding board certification.

Passed

I did painexam.com and dane miller

In retrospect, a lot of the questions and lectures seem waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to detailed and obscure and not "anesthesiaish" enough for the ABA exam

Would prob have used the ASA questions in retrospect that were suggested...although I have to admit I have no direct experience of them

Congratulations everyone on passing. I plan on taking the exam next year. Do you know where I can find ASRA practice questions?

Thank you but is there one specifically for Pain Boards? I have never used ASA website before. Some of the tests are $$$ and I do not want to spend on the wrong one. Thanks.

Does anyone know where the "ASRA practice questions" can be found? The link above makes it seem as if it's the same as the ACE questions.