2017 TSU: Texas Southern University COPHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamtony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So who's applying?!

Was supposed to open today...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Application is up! *sigh I wish it was PHARMCAS and I'd be done. Oh well

GL to all:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey , did you apply yet ? i have some section does not know how to fill out

90% done. Can you do me a favor and go to the relatives section and see if you can "save and continue" at all? It does nothing for me.

If you have any questions I'll help as much as I can and if not hopefully someone from the 2016 thread can help.

90% done. Can you do me a favor and go to the relatives section and see if you can "save and continue" at all? It does nothing for me.

If you have any questions I'll help as much as I can and if not hopefully someone from the 2016 thread can help.

I can't fill that part out either! Something is wrong with the "save" buttons.

Yeah! I sent in a request to tech support and it got upgraded to "escalated" so we'll see how long it takes to fix.

Do you live in Houston? Can i meet you in private and help me how to fill out ? I'm appreciate it .

I am applying as well. TSU really needs to jump aboard the PharmCAS train.

They fixed my problem and I was able to submit today!

The screen ater I believe said that we need to submit 2 transcripts:confused:? Can anyone confirm this and also do they mean 1 to TSU and one to the COP? or actually 2 to COP for total of 3? ( I didn't go to TSU and they force us to apply to the undergrad school as transfer students :rolleyes::mad:)

Sorry quangteo I am unavailable to meet up but the application is fairly simple and I'm sure someone on here can help you through the board.

They fixed my problem and I was able to submit today!

The screen ater I believe said that we need to submit 2 transcripts:confused:? Can anyone confirm this and also do they mean 1 to TSU and one to the COP? or actually 2 to COP for total of 3? ( I didn't go to TSU and they force us to apply to the undergrad school as transfer students :rolleyes::mad:)

Sorry quangteo I am unavailable to meet up but the application is fairly simple and I'm sure someone on here can help you through the board.

One set of transcripts must be mailed to the COP directly from the institution. The second set should be mailed or handed in by you to the COP, usually just hand it in with all the other supporting documents you have to provide. The third set should be sent to TSU undergrad.

One set of transcripts must be mailed to the COP directly from the institution. The second set should be mailed or handed in by you to the COP, usually just hand it in with all the other supporting documents you have to provide. The third set should be sent to TSU undergrad.

thanks for the clarification:thumbup:

and ouch! that's quite absurd that three are required and it's gonna be another dent in my pocketbook as I went to my main undergrad and two community colleges :(

The way you phrased it makes me feel like you possibly(?) think it would be easier/better to hand it in with the packet of stuff (photo/pharm experience,etc) but for me that would require going to three schools to apply for the transcripts and then coming back a second time to retrieve them and then sending them out! No offense, but why wouldn't I just request two to be sent at once since one has to be mailed to them anyway?

Thanks

thanks for the clarification:thumbup:

and ouch! that's quite absurd that three are required and it's gonna be another dent in my pocketbook as I went to my main undergrad and two community colleges :(

The way you phrased it makes me feel like you possibly(?) think it would be easier/better to hand it in with the packet of stuff (photo/pharm experience,etc) but for me that would require going to three schools to apply for the transcripts and then coming back a second time to retrieve them and then sending them out! No offense, but why wouldn't I just request two to be sent at once since one has to be mailed to them anyway?

Thanks

Yeah its better to turn it in with the packet in my opinion. You would just request transcripts to be mailed to your house

If we are already a TSU student would you just apply using the re-admit form along with the COPH application, or do you also have to complete the $42 undergraduate application along with the COPH application even though you are already an admitted TSU student?

Members don't see this ad :)
If we are already a TSU student would you just apply using the re-admit form along with the COPH application, or do you also have to complete the $42 undergraduate application along with the COPH application even though you are already an admitted TSU student?

if you're already a student you don't need to do another undergrad app. Not 100% certain about the readmit form though.

Application is complete. Now it is just time to wait and see. Good Luck to everyone applying to TSU this year.

Just an FYI- the COPHS website now shows the average stats for the previous 3 classes of students that have matriculated. This is the first time I've ever seen this information readily available.

Anyone know when TSU conducts their interviews this time around since the application is due sooner? Thanks.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

Anyone know when TSU conducts their interviews this time around since the application is due sooner? Thanks.

The COPHS site says that interviews begin in February.

Thanks, must've overlooked that :) .

I requested my PCAT scores be sent to TSU last week. anyone know how long they take to get there??

I hope you study for your PCAT verbal.

While having a strong score in each section is important, TSU places very little emphasis on the verbal reasoning portion of the PCAT due to the number of applicants who do not speak English as their native language. In fact, their emphasis is quantitative, chem and bio.

I requested my PCAT scores be sent to TSU last week. anyone know how long they take to get there??
where do you request an official score report to send to TSU or another institution after you have taken the PCAT?

where do you request an official score report to send to TSU or another institution after you have taken the PCAT?

Go to the Pearson site, log into your account and request a copy of your transcript be sent to the school of your choice. PharmCAS schools are free. but for schools that don't use PharmCAS, it's $20 each. Here's the link:

https://tpc-etesting.com/pcat/default.aspx

I have the new up to date DR Collins, I just bought it, eighty dollars. Mail me @ nikkifun75 at yahoo.com

- Any current students around? I have a question in regards to the pharmacy experience form. What type of proof can I provide for organizations that I am involved in? We don't have membership cards. Thanks.

- Any current students around? I have a question in regards to the pharmacy experience form. What type of proof can I provide for organizations that I am involved in? We don't have membership cards. Thanks.

are you able to get a printout from the organization that has a list of all the things that you have done or a printout of the hours volunteered? I am a current tsu student that volunteered a bunch at md anderson and so i gave a printout of all my hours in my application, just for proof.

are you able to get a printout from the organization that has a list of all the things that you have done or a printout of the hours volunteered? I am a current tsu student that volunteered a bunch at md anderson and so i gave a printout of all my hours in my application, just for proof.

- I can get a printout from the registrar, would that suffice? Could I have the organizations presidents who are students write a note or something of the sort saying that I am an active member?

- I can get a printout from the registrar, would that suffice? Could I have the organizations presidents who are students write a note or something of the sort saying that I am an active member?

Well if really you can just put your information of where you were in a pharmacy like the information of the place you are at and the contact information, and what you did in the organization. if TSU has any questions they will contact the person in the pharmacy and talk to them for proof. you can do either, just put a printout or you can just put the printout AND the information of the pharmacy or organization. Call TSU and ask them what they prefer. I am sure either should be fine but confirm it first.

Well if really you can just put your information of where you were in a pharmacy like the information of the place you are at and the contact information, and what you did in the organization. if TSU has any questions they will contact the person in the pharmacy and talk to them for proof. you can do either, just put a printout or you can just put the printout AND the information of the pharmacy or organization. Call TSU and ask them what they prefer. I am sure either should be fine but confirm it first.

- Thanks.

- I'm not sure if this question has been asked because I can't find it. Does anyone know if they want the transcripts sent separately from the supporting documentation, or do they want they transcripts sent along with the supporting documentation? Thanks.

- I'm not sure if this question has been asked because I can't find it. Does anyone know if they want the transcripts sent separately from the supporting documentation, or do they want they transcripts sent along with the supporting documentation? Thanks.

With the supporting documentation and then later on the university you are at, ask them to send the transcript also

With the supporting documentation and then later on the university you are at, ask them to send the transcript also

- Ok, thanks. Also, when we submit the ApplyTexas application are we required to send a transcript then as well? I guess a better question is how many tanscripts total are we to submit for application purposes? The checklist says 1 but in other areas of the application it makes it seem like you need to send more. Thanks again.

- Ok, thanks. Also, when we submit the ApplyTexas application are we required to send a transcript then as well? I guess a better question is how many tanscripts total are we to submit for application purposes? The checklist says 1 but in other areas of the application it makes it seem like you need to send more. Thanks again.

You are welcome, yes I believe that the apply Texas application requires to send them a transcript also, I am a current TSU student so I don't have to do apply Texas but I am pretty sure that you need to send a transcript to them.

Well if you are not a student at TSU, you need to send 3 transcripts, I think 1 to apply Texas (you should confirm that), then a transcript in your packet that you send in to the pharmacy school, and then a transcript that will be directly sent to TSU from the university that you are currently at. Based on however many schools that you have attended then that would be however many transcripts you send. So say you attended 2 schools then you would need 6 total transcripts: 2 to apply Texas (confirm that again), 2 transcripts from the different schools that you will send in your application packet, and then 1 transcript each from the both of the universities that you have attended will be sent directly to the pharmacy school from your previously attended universities. Hope that helps with answering your questions. If you have any other questions please let me know. Hope you have a great day.

You are welcome, yes I believe that the apply Texas application requires to send them a transcript also, I am a current TSU student so I don't have to do apply Texas but I am pretty sure that you need to send a transcript to them.

Well if you are not a student at TSU, you need to send 3 transcripts, I think 1 to apply Texas (you should confirm that), then a transcript in your packet that you send in to the pharmacy school, and then a transcript that will be directly sent to TSU from the university that you are currently at. Based on however many schools that you have attended then that would be however many transcripts you send. So say you attended 2 schools then you would need 6 total transcripts: 2 to apply Texas (confirm that again), 2 transcripts from the different schools that you will send in your application packet, and then 1 transcript each from the both of the universities that you have attended will be sent directly to the pharmacy school from your previously attended universities. Hope that helps with answering your questions. If you have any other questions please let me know. Hope you have a great day.

- The information was very helpful, thanks again :) .

Hey KlassyJ were you able to figure everything out and confirm everything that I said to you for tsu?

Hey KlassyJ were you able to figure everything out and confirm everything that I said to you for tsu?

- Yes, I was. I didn't call them but am going to send transcripts to both schools. For the experience I am just sending copies of what I have, and will put my supervisors number down if they decide to verify it that way for the pharmacy work experience. All of the verification of service seems unnecessary but they aren't using pharmcas so I guess everything has to be complicated. Thanks again.

- Yes, I was. I didn't call them but am going to send transcripts to both schools. For the experience I am just sending copies of what I have, and will put my supervisors number down if they decide to verify it that way for the pharmacy work experience. All of the verification of service seems unnecessary but they aren't using pharmcas so I guess everything has to be complicated. Thanks again.

Yeah tsu tends to make everything complicated. They should be on pharmcas by 2014 or 2015. You are welcome.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I will happily help you! Have a great day! Take Care!

anyone know when interview invites will start going out?

Hey guys,

I am a P1 at TSUCOPHS, so I'm about to finish my first semester (after this miserable week of finals is over). I just wanted to give y'all a little info to help ease your minds and give y'all a little hopeful info about the application/acceptance process.

First of all, I want to reassure anyone with doubts about TSU due to previous reputation and the concern about the pharmacy program. A long time ago, TSU was having issues with NAPLEX passing percentage rates. However, it is long since then and the passing rate has been in the 90s% recently, so don't worry about that. I am fully confident that in 2016, I will be efficiently prepared to pass the NAPLEX.

Now, about the application process....The main thing I wanted to know throughout the whole thing was if I was even going to be considered. I applied (as soon as the application was open online) with a 2.9 GPA and 71 composite PCAT. So, those of you out there that are wondering and worried, don't be. There is hope for everyone as long as you have a solid application. I've got friends applying this cycle, so that's about all the info that I can provide as far as advice on being accepted goes. I will say this, though: Make sure to keep in contact with Ms. Melva Davis. She will be the most help (and still is for me) that you will receive from TSU about your application.

TSU does, however, have a reputation for procrastination and difficulty with communication. In past years, including mine, their application process has run later (in some cases, much later) than the other TX school. Be patient. I was probably among the first to apply (like... Sept. 15 or something) and (most likely due to my GPA) I didn't receive my invite to interview (via email) until March 12, then I waited another miserably stressful 3 months to receive my acceptance letter on May 7. I was the 2nd to last batch of letter to be sent, so that kind of gives you an idea of when to expect what. You can check the C/O 2016 forum for other applicant interview/acceptance letter dates.

Also, if you still don't hear anything by the end of May, there is still hope. There were 5 or 6 students accepted right before class started in August (due to other applicants not paying deposit, rejecting acceptance, etc.).

So, I hope I've been a little helpful and I'll check back every now and then if y'all have any questions. Good luck to you all and I hope to see y'all next year!

Hey guys,

I am a P1 at TSUCOPHS, so I'm about to finish my first semester (after this miserable week of finals is over). I just wanted to give y'all a little info to help ease your minds and give y'all a little hopeful info about the application/acceptance process.

First of all, I want to reassure anyone with doubts about TSU due to previous reputation and the concern about the pharmacy program. A long time ago, TSU was having issues with NAPLEX passing percentage rates. However, it is long since then and the passing rate has been in the 90s% recently, so don't worry about that. I am fully confident that in 2016, I will be efficiently prepared to pass the NAPLEX.

Now, about the application process....The main thing I wanted to know throughout the whole thing was if I was even going to be considered. I applied (as soon as the application was open online) with a 2.9 GPA and 71 composite PCAT. So, those of you out there that are wondering and worried, don't be. There is hope for everyone as long as you have a solid application. I've got friends applying this cycle, so that's about all the info that I can provide as far as advice on being accepted goes. I will say this, though: Make sure to keep in contact with Ms. Melva Davis. She will be the most help (and still is for me) that you will receive from TSU about your application.

TSU does, however, have a reputation for procrastination and difficulty with communication. In past years, including mine, their application process has run later (in some cases, much later) than the other TX school. Be patient. I was probably among the first to apply (like... Sept. 15 or something) and (most likely due to my GPA) I didn't receive my invite to interview (via email) until March 12, then I waited another miserably stressful 3 months to receive my acceptance letter on May 7. I was the 2nd to last batch of letter to be sent, so that kind of gives you an idea of when to expect what. You can check the C/O 2016 forum for other applicant interview/acceptance letter dates.

Also, if you still don't hear anything by the end of May, there is still hope. There were 5 or 6 students accepted right before class started in August (due to other applicants not paying deposit, rejecting acceptance, etc.).

So, I hope I've been a little helpful and I'll check back every now and then if y'all have any questions. Good luck to you all and I hope to see y'all next year!

- Thanks for the info.

I have been a long time reader, and finally made an account. I applied to TSU as well, but very concern with the school as a whole.

I think TSU might still be on the verge of loosing accreditation going into year of 2013. I was doing a google search and found the following pdf with title 2013 on it. If you go to this link to the TSU official website (http://www.tsu.edu/pdffiles/academics/pharmacy/Revised TSU COPHS Strategic Plan Final Draft.pdf), it says that...

"The COPHS is risking the loss of accreditation if ACPE accreditation standards are not met. The lack of development of the professional practice component of the curriculum for the Doctor of Pharmacy program has been a highlighted focus area for the last three on-site evaluations performed by the ACPE evaluation team."

"The school has had difficulty recruiting and retaining qualified and committed staff. Currently, there are 13 faculty vacancies in the COPHS. Some of the issues facing faculty based on interviews with key stakeholders are as follows:
•Non-competitive salaries particularly on the pharmacy practice side. A phar-macist can make much more in the industry than in academia."

"The COPHS rates number six amongst the seven peer universities in National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding.
The COPHS lacks significant community support and recognition."

so yeah...

I've applied, I'm just waiting for an interview invite. I have already been invited to Texas Tech 2/8.