2017 TSU: Texas Southern University COPHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been a long time reader, and finally made an account. I applied to TSU as well, but very concern with the school as a whole.

I think TSU might still be on the verge of loosing accreditation going into year of 2013. I was doing a google search and found the following pdf with title 2013 on it. If you go to this link to the TSU official website (http://www.tsu.edu/pdffiles/academics/pharmacy/Revised TSU COPHS Strategic Plan Final Draft.pdf), it says that...

"The COPHS is risking the loss of accreditation if ACPE accreditation standards are not met. The lack of development of the professional practice component of the curriculum for the Doctor of Pharmacy program has been a highlighted focus area for the last three on-site evaluations performed by the ACPE evaluation team."

"The school has had difficulty recruiting and retaining qualified and committed staff. Currently, there are 13 faculty vacancies in the COPHS. Some of the issues facing faculty based on interviews with key stakeholders are as follows:
•Non-competitive salaries particularly on the pharmacy practice side. A phar-macist can make much more in the industry than in academia."

"The COPHS rates number six amongst the seven peer universities in National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding.
The COPHS lacks significant community support and recognition."

so yeah...
This is interesting to hear, I really want to go to TSU too..

Members don't see this ad.

This is interesting to hear, I really want to go to TSU too..

As a pharmacy student at TSU, I know for a fact that a diligent effort is being made to correct these concerns with their emphasis on pharmacy science and lack of pharmacy practice in the curriculum, i.e. my biochemistry is now one semester instead of two and additional pharmacy practice courses have been added.... Just a tidbit, but that is interesting.

Hi guys,

I was on the same boat as you all were last year, and am now a P1 at Texas Southern University's College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (TSUCOPHS).

19 hours the incoming semester was a challenge. Not so much the coursework, but getting to understand how each professor teaches and honing in on information which will be presented on exams. I was able to work part-time (24 hours a week) and pass all of my courses with decent grades. If you put forth the effort, you will succeed.

I also want to address the concern regarding TSU losing accreditation. Year after year, these speculations/rumors continue to resurface. I assure you, every school has its challenges. However, corrective measures are ongoing, which our class witnessed several times this semester. I truly believe that we are moving in the right direction. There is much to understand regarding becoming accredited and losing accreditation, and until we fully comprehend its complexity, there is no saying whether TSU will lose it or not.

I have faith that my school will provide me what I need to become a licensed pharmacist. Our pharmacy practice program is making efforts to become more involved in the community. I am a firm believer in supporting the community, but was unable to do so my first semester due to getting accustomed to the structure of our courses and exams. However, now that the first semester has passed, my goal is to at least lead one organization and show that TSU pharmacy students are involved with the community.

I have done it before in pre-pharmacy. Would love the opportunity to lead again should it permit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I can't guarantee that I will respond immediately, but I will do my best to answer your questions and concerns.

Please don't be discouraged when it comes to applying at TSU. I wish the best to all those who aspire to become great pharmacists. Never lose site of your goals!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dug up more information about accreditation.

So basically, if TSU COP were to lose its accreditation (according to the TSU official document posted above), all the attending students would not be eligible to take the NAPLEX exam after graduation (the exam to become a pharmacist). Your 4 years tuition would simply go down the drain. You would be out of luck and do 4 more years at another institution all over again (not to mention 4 more years of tuition).

It's like buying a lemon at a car dealership. The more I search information online about TSU COP, the less incline for me to go to Houston.

So sad. :(

I suppose it would be a risk to take if it were my only choice. Hopefully not.

I dug up more information about accreditation.

So basically, if TSU COP were to lose its accreditation (according to the TSU official document posted above), all the attending students would not be eligible to take the NAPLEX exam after graduation (the exam to become a pharmacist). Your 4 years tuition would simply go down the drain. You would be out of luck and do 4 more years at another institution all over again (not to mention 4 more years of tuition).

It's like buying a lemon at a car dealership. The more I search information online about TSU COP, the less incline for me to go to Houston.

So sad. :(

I suppose it would be a risk to take if it were my only choice. Hopefully not.

- I have family members who are recent graduates from TSUCOP, and practicing pharmacists. When you read into things too closely, they can consume you. Why worry about that now, and especially at this moment. Go relax, enjoy family, and have a happy holiday.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

Interview invites start going out this month (according to Ms. Davis). Anyone know when they'll start sending them out this month?

Interview invites start going out this month (according to Ms. Davis). Anyone know when they'll start sending them out this month?

I've been wondering the same thing too, glad you posted us. Will let you know if I received an invite.

Do you know how long until the invites stop going out?

don't know the answer to that question. Ms. Davis just said that interviews begin in January. I don't know when the invites will start going out or when they'll stop

Hmm i called on Monday and she said she was behind on reviewing applications, and there was still hundreds of unopened application they haven't open yet so i dont know :/

I went through the application process last year, and I'd be happy to field any questions some of you may have...

Hey guys i keep checking back on my application but it keeps saying my transcripts have not yet been received even though i mailed it back on the 28th. Any of you guys have the same problem?

Hey guys i keep checking back on my application but it keeps saying my transcripts have not yet been received even though i mailed it back on the 28th. Any of you guys have the same problem?

the 28th of December? that was kinda late, so they probably just haven't updated your application yet. I completed the application as soon as it opened and brought everything in PERSONALLY since I live in Houston. so it shows all of my things as received and OFFICIAL

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any new updates yet? Seems like all of the other pharmacy schools in Texas have already sent out some interview invites.

TSU do their invites really late. I was reading the 2016 thread and one of the person didnt get an invite until april, and he got his letter in june.

TSU do their invites really late. I was reading the 2016 thread and one of the person didnt get an invite until april, and he got his letter in june.

Yeah that's true!! They always get backed up year after year! Although they made the application due SOONER....they still get backed up! They should have more than ONE person opening mail! Lol

I called before I mailed in my packet and the woman I spoke with said all I need to submit with regards to LORs was the recommendation form on the application. She said it wasn't going to help much if I submitted actual letters because they get so many applications, the reviewers don't have time to read them all. I submitted actual LORs from my references anyway.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Yeah that's true!! They always get backed up year after year! Although they made the application due SOONER....they still get backed up! They should have more than ONE person opening mail! Lol

I was part of the application cycle last year and there were people who didn't find out they were accepted until summer academy had already begun (late June/ early July). Waiting was the hardest part for me (even though my PCAT composite and gpa were significantly higher than their average for accepted students).

If you get other interviews, accept them...that just increases your chance of acceptance, somewhere. Calling TSU on a constant basis won't speed up the process--in fact, it slows down the process to an appreciable degree...I should know; I called every week lol.

I can't say it enough; if you're gpa and PCAT are at or above their averages for the previous 3 years, you should relax...you won't know anything for a while. If your stats are slightly below their averages--kill the interview and let them know that you want to attend TSU. I received my acceptance last year when they sent out the first round of letters and that didn't happen until late March/early April.

SOMETHING I MUST ADDRESS--on my interview day there were men and women that weren't dressed appropriately. I saw men who did not wear a suit and I saw women who were severely underdressed. Remember-you're asking someone to admit you into a program where you will have the opportunity to earn a six figure salary and interact with other healthcare professionals.

The interview is the only chance they will have to meet you and that will be a lasting impression as they decide on your fate. Men-wear a black or blue suit (dark grey is also acceptable as an alternative). Make sure to wear dark socks, dress shirt and a tie. Ladies- wear a business suit, either blue, grey or black. I understand this process can be expensive, but the investment will pay dividends.

Do the interview invites get emailed out all at the same time or in segments?

Do the interview invites get emailed out all at the same time or in segments?

In segments--typically based on how early your early tour app was completed and the level of your competitiveness.

Hi Rx1981 please what is your statistics i.e gpa and pcat

I'll give you my stats, but seeing how I got in last year--I'm not sure how it'd help very much.

PCAT: 72
GPA: 3.53

Boooo, still no update. Should I take this as a sign that I may not receive an invite? :p

Stay calm and invitations will be sent out lol. Last year, I was part of the first wave of applicants that received an interview--and that didn't happen until February.

Well, at least we know interviews won't begin in January! lol

I suppose no new updates from anyone as of yet? The application was due sooner, so I would THINK that would make everything else happen sooner....

I just called them and the lady said invites will begin going out this week via email. Good luck!

Either I was lied to or I'm not getting an invite this round ;P

Y'all are going to stroke out, stressing over interviews lol. You've done what you can do (PCAT, gpa, etc)...it's no longer in your hands. You've seen the average stats...that means some are above and some are slightly below. You're smart...you know if you're competitive. If so, you'll get an invite. The school is slow...but they have a lot of applicants to review.

I just received my interview invite today!!! Received it at 4:51pm. My interview is on 2/26 at 3pm!!

I just received my interview invite today!!! Received it at 4:51pm. My interview is on 2/26 at 3pm!!

Congrats! Be prepared to write an essay and do some calculations during the interview.

Just got an invite via email yesterday at 4:52 pm. I already got accepted in my first choice school. But TSU is pretty close to me and cheaper. Lets see how the interview goes.

That lady doing the screening said I'm missing a bunch of courses but I have them on my transcripts. The course equivalency they use don't match the courses I took. I have lower division and upper division US history courses and she said I'm missing US history II. I have a graphic design art class and she said I'm missing a fine arts. All in all, she said she will send out emails to those applicants who don't meet their criteria. Oh well, I have an interview for A&M scheduled so good luck to those who get to stay in Houston!

Same here she said my application will be put on hold until i rectified my missing courses. I replied back yesterday saying that i will take/retake courses in the mini semester and summer 1 sem and all she replied back was "Thanks". So..... i guess im good then?

Do they expect to be receiving alot of calls at this time? Because I tried calling the school a few times today regarding my status but was left with the voicemail.
I'll just be patient as usual :)

I got an invitation in my email today from Mrs. Davis! Sent at 3:00pm CST scheduled for March 5th

I have a interview with TSU on 2/26 which is this Tuesday... What kind of calculations do they give us to do?

Hi erreee and pharm1992 can you please share your statitics e.g pcat, gpa,

Hi erreee and pharm1992 can you please share your statitics e.g pcat, gpa,
You should probably give out your own stats first before you ask others for theirs.

For anybody else wondering, Ms Davis via email told me that conditional acceptances will be sent out via email to the top students during the week of March 18.

Gpa:3.5
Pcat:46
Pharmacy volunteer
Associate Degree in Science

Gpa 3.8
Pcat 64 (pretty high chem and bio scores)
Minimal experience
B.S. in biology

How about you?

You will likely be selected in the first round [like my NBA draft analogy] lol. I had a lower gpa but a higher PCAT and I received my email in the first round. Any applicant that has a PCAT 15% or more above the average should hear back during the first round unless your gpa is sub 3.0.

Again, I'm here to field questions. Send a pm if you're not comfortable asking on the forum for everyone to see.

For anybody else wondering, Ms Davis via email told me that conditional acceptances will be sent out via email to the top students during the week of March 18.

Errreee: can you tell me what are conditional acceptances?