2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

6/21 Received secondary

1. What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2. What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

3. Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate. (No character limit)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So a diversity and a 'Why DO?' question, pretty nice.

Are you all just copying and pasting your clinical experience descriptions from AACOMAS?

Do we have to re-send our recommendations letters? Or will they get them with our AACOMAS application?

Secondary received! What are y'all doing for the ACT/SAT section? I don't remember my scores at all.

Secondary received! What are y'all doing for the ACT/SAT section? I don't remember my scores at all.
I'm just canceling the sections and not putting anything. I don't remember my scores and can't access them.

I recently submitted my primary but have yet to be verified. How long did it take to be verified for all of you? I know it's all dependent on when you submit but I want to get a rough estimate.

I recently submitted my primary but have yet to be verified. How long did it take to be verified for all of you? I know it's all dependent on when you submit but I want to get a rough estimate.

I submitted 6/8 and was verified on 6/11. Didn't expect such a quick turnaround O.O

Is quality better than quantity when it comes to the 500 word limit?

For the clinical experiences sections are you guys copying & pasting what was on your AACOMAS primary or are you changing it up?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the clinical experiences sections are you guys copying & pasting what was on your AACOMAS primary or are you changing it up?

I'm just copying and pasting but I've changed a couple of things because I thought of ways to make something sound better. I think the purpose is to centralize most everything so that they can review the app quicker? I may be way off on the reasoning though.

Reactions: 1 users
hi y'all! got my secondary invite this weekend!

question on inputting clinical shadowing- if you have something ongoing that you plan on doing through the year, can you project hours like you did on the primary app? I recently was able to find a DO to shadow, and have only completed one day but will continue shadowing on a monthly basis.

also, i was considering writing about shadowing him in that optional "updates" essay prompt as finally getting the opportunity to see a DO practice IRL has cemented my desire to become one, so i want to highlight that but dont want to repeat myself from the clinical experiences portion. thoughts?

EDIT: im dumb. realized this is one of the schools that specifically asks you about your experience with osteopathic medicine, so will write about my shadowing with the DO there lol and most likely keep the updates secondary blank

hi y'all! got my secondary invite this weekend!

question on inputting clinical shadowing- if you have something ongoing that you plan on doing through the year, can you project hours like you did on the primary app? I recently was able to find a DO to shadow, and have only completed one day but will continue shadowing on a monthly basis.

also, i was considering writing about shadowing him in that optional "updates" essay prompt as finally getting the opportunity to see a DO practice IRL has cemented my desire to become one, so i want to highlight that but dont want to repeat myself from the clinical experiences portion. thoughts?

EDIT: im dumb. realized this is one of the schools that specifically asks you about your experience with osteopathic medicine, so will write about my shadowing with the DO there lol and most likely keep the updates secondary blank

I'm not sure, but it says clinical/healthcare experience. I think it really wants us to put all of our clinical and healthcare experience in there so it is centralized when they review your application. This makes sense because when I visited this school, they talked a lot about having clinical experiences and said they put a lot of emphasis on this. Therefore, I put all of my healthcare and clinical experiences in there. If that's not what they want it's too late now since I submitted Friday. Lol

please give us your stats if you received secondaries. do they screen before sending secondaries?

please give us your stats if you received secondaries. do they screen before sending secondaries?
they do screen before secondaries. my friend had a 515 MCAT but 2.55 sGPA and did not get secondary.

i got one- MCAT 511 cGPA 3.2 / sGPA 2.98

Reactions: 1 users
When is considered the latest to be complete but early? If that makes sense...

Try and get it in ASAP! It's rolling admission, so it's to your advantage. However my guess is to be considered early you'd want to be complete by mid July.

Oh absolutely! I’m planning on submitting this week but I don’t have the LORs yet which I’m working on.

they do screen before secondaries. my friend had a 515 MCAT but 2.55 sGPA and did not get secondary.

i got one- MCAT 511 cGPA 3.2 / sGPA 2.98
There are a lot of schools that do pre-secondary screening (including here). I am a reinvention nontrad. Last cycle I had just below a 3.0 GPA and got screened out early (or heard crickets). This cycle I got above a 3.0. I would tell your friend to check the minimum requirements for each school they apply too. If they are not above it, it may be a waste of money to apply. 515 is a strong MCAT but they may need to do some GPA repair (like masters or post-bacc). It sucks but unfortunately there is still a numbers game you have to play because of the high applicant numbers. Best bet are state schools especially if they have good ECs (I got II and wl at my state school and I applied late).

They will draw the LOR and MCAT scores from AACOMAS right? We do not have to send those separately, correct?

Do we have to re-send our recommendations letters? Or will they get them with our AACOMAS application?
They get them from AACOMAS, you just have to say which ones are which. So who was your DO letter and who is your science faculty.

Received a secondary this morning. Excited to apply!

Received the complete and ready to review email today!

Would any accepted students be willing to read my secondary essays before I submit?

Got a secondary yesterday but my mcat score doesn't come out until July 3rd. I guess that's not a screening metric.

2' submitted today, still waiting on one rec letter

When do they typically send out invites for interview??

Marked complete today, secondary submitted 6/24/18.

So far I have gotten two emails from admissions telling me that one of my letters has not arrived and to check in with them again soon about it. Anyone else get these?

Secondary received at 2:07am today.

Did you guys put projected hours for current activities or just specifically hours you have already completed?

Did you guys put projected hours for current activities or just specifically hours you have already completed?

I did hours already completed, but I don't think there should be a problem with putting hours which you intend to complete.

I did hours already completed, but I don't think there should be a problem with putting hours which you intend to complete.

Thank you! For anyone else wondering, I called admissions and they only want hours you have actually completed, not projected hours.

Thank you! For anyone else wondering, I called admissions and they only want hours you have actually completed, not projected hours.

Pretty sure I did the latter for one of mine. Oh well. Probably could’ve been more specific on the app but whatever.

Pretty sure I did the latter for one of mine. Oh well. Probably could’ve been more specific on the app but whatever.
Since they didn't specify and projected hours were okay for the primary, I don't think it will hurt you!

Hey guys.

I felt really underqualified for ATSU, but somehow pulled off an II to Mesa. Should I also apply here? or am I still on cloud 9 and not thinking straight?

Hey guys.

I felt really underqualified for ATSU, but somehow pulled off an II to Mesa. Should I also apply here? or am I still on cloud 9 and not thinking straight?
Although they are under the same name, they are completely different schools. I would recommend researching a bit on this school and finding out if it's for you before applying. Congrats on that II though!! :)

Does anyone know how strict they are with the 20+ shadowing hours with one physician? I sent my primary to the Mesa campus and I don't want to waste my money on a secondary if it is a hard requirement.

Just received the KCOM secondary today. In the email they said my letters must include my full name and my AACOMAS ID. How strict are they on the letters containing your AACOMAS ID? I did not tell my letter writers to include that. I am uploading them directly through AACOMAS and not through a 3rd party such as Interfolio. Does this make a difference?

Just received the KCOM secondary today. In the email they said my letters must include my full name and my AACOMAS ID. How strict are they on the letters containing your AACOMAS ID? I did not tell my letter writers to include that. I am uploading them directly through AACOMAS and not through a 3rd party such as Interfolio. Does this make a difference?

If you uploaded them through AACOMAS you are fine. That requirement is only if you send them directly to them through a third party like interfolio.

I applied to the Kirksville campus but did not apply to the Mesa one. Do you guys know if their secondary questions are the same and if the stats for the Mesa campus are similar?