2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where'd you get this stat from?

I can confirm this stat. I interviewed last year and they gave us a pamphlet with admissions numbers and such. The total interviews were 500+ and acceptances is 108.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can confirm this stat. I interviewed last year and they gave us a pamphlet with admissions numbers and such. The total interviews were 500+ and acceptances is 108.

108 is just the # of matriculants. Acceptances are generally 2-3x more than that. Or at least that’s what the powers that be of SDN generally say.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to DC. But someone else in my interview group got his first choice as well - Hawaii.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

This may be totally incorrect but a student at my interview day/dean welcome told me the DC one may be closing as I had expressed interest in that CHC. Do you know anything about this or just in general what happens if a CHC were to "close" while you are there. They have yet to send a list of CHC's (at least I haven't gotten it and I interviewed the first day) so i'm curious to see if the DC one is still on there. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be totally incorrect but a student at my interview day/dean welcome told me the DC one may be closing as I had expressed interest in that CHC. Do you know anything about this or just in general what happens if a CHC were to "close" while you are there. They have yet to send a list of CHC's (at least I haven't gotten it and I interviewed the first day) so i'm curious to see if the DC one is still on there. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
The DC one is not closing anytime soon. I'm sad to hear that you got that misinformation.

Reactions: 2 users
How would you rate ifthree choices were given as:

Touro Nevada

A T Still Mesa AZ

Rocky Vista Utah.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

The DC one is not closing anytime soon. I'm sad to hear that you got that misinformation.

Thanks for clarifying! It definitely surprised me especially because of how casually it was said... kind of like it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks for clarifying! It definitely surprised me especially because of how casually it was said... kind of like it wasn't a big deal.
I live in DC and united medical center (the CHC) is very much troubled and there is talk of closing it and replacing it but nothing firm yet. The DC mayor has floated plans.

108 is just the # of matriculants. Acceptances are generally 2-3x more than that. Or at least that’s what the powers that be of SDN generally say.
At least Rocky Vista is honest and just says they accept 80% of those they interview. Cause I suspect AT Still accepts 60% or so

Did anyone else get the email from the office of diversity about their upcoming interview? I'm wondering if they send this to everyone or to just candidates who fit under diversity category?

Did anyone else get the email from the office of diversity about their upcoming interview? I'm wondering if they send this to everyone or to just candidates who fit under diversity category?
I got one but I am also a veteran and at many schools they throw you into the diversity category. Normally would not be though.

Members don't see this ad :)
so we are thinking atsu-soma is around 50-60% acceptance? how does that compare to other DO schools? RVU is around 80%, but what about other schools?

so we are thinking atsu-soma is around 50-60% acceptance? how does that compare to other DO schools? RVU is around 80%, but what about other schools?

Source?

Also KCU is 65-70% post Interview

Source?

Also KCU is 65-70% post Interview
I dont think there was a source. It was like, SOMA interviews about "500" people and has a class size of "108." Lets assume they offer about double if not more of the applicants to ultimately fill the 108 seats so we'll say they accept about 250-290 applicants after the interview. Then it was speculated that their post interview rate was around 50-60%. No real solid numbers straight from the school though.

I dont think there was a source. It was like, SOMA interviews about "500" people and has a class size of "108." Lets assume they offer about double if not more of the applicants to ultimately fill the 108 seats so we'll say they accept about 250-290 applicants after the interview. Then it was speculated that their post interview rate was around 50-60%. No real solid numbers straight from the school though.

Oh okay, thanks. I would guess about that as well, but I wasn’t sure if someone had an actual source.

Oh okay, thanks. I would guess about that as well, but I wasn’t sure if someone had an actual source.
RVU advertises the 80% number, its on their website and in the emails they send you for interview invites.

Yeah I agree, a lot of schools of ~50% give or take a bit so I assume AT Still would be about the same.

For us 9/7 interviewees... I really thought today was the day. lol. Hopefully thinking.

Reactions: 1 users
Any chance us 9/14 interviewees also hear back the same time as the 9/7 interviewees or is that optimistic lol?

Any chance us 9/14 interviewees also hear back the same time as the 9/7 interviewees or is that optimistic lol?

So I was mega neurotic today and looked back at last year. Usually it’s two weeks exactly,

During my interview (9/7), they mentioned that ours may be a little longer because they have back to back interviews (you guys on 9/14). So idk if they’ll separate the days, or review us all together. If together, maybe today isn’t the day, but instead next Monday.

Regardless, I’ll be checking my email for the next week, lol

So I was mega neurotic today and looked back at last year. Usually it’s two weeks exactly,

During my interview (9/7), they mentioned that ours may be a little longer because they have back to back interviews (you guys on 9/14). So idk if they’ll separate the days, or review us all together. If together, maybe today isn’t the day, but instead next Monday.

Lol sounds good. Thanks for the insight!

on one hand, im glad cause my phone literally broke yesterday so i would miss a call if i was accepted, but on the other, i really want to rip the bandaid off!!!

How would you rate ifthree choices were given as:

Touro Nevada

A T Still Mesa AZ

Rocky Vista Utah.

Thank you

I have been accepted to Touro NV and RV Utah. Honesty, I still loved SOMA the most. RV is amazing. ICOM (although new) is one of my top choices also.

I have been accepted to Touro NV and RV Utah. Honesty, I still loved SOMA the most. RV is amazing. ICOM (although new) is one of my top choices also.
Thank you so much! Why SOMA so much?

Thank you so much! Why SOMA so much?

Honestly, I just got a really good vibe from the school. I have been excepted to a few schools so far and this one by far felt the most genuine and welcoming to me. There are a few other schools that are also forcing their students to practice ultrasound imaging, and for me wanting to go into emergency medicine, this skill will be incredibly useful. I also think it’s very stupid for schools to be following the traditional 2+2 curriculum pattern because self directed studying and learning in community health centers will forge better doctors in my opinion. SOMA is the only school that I know of that does this. Plus, it is rumored that SOMA will have two more CHC locations in California by next year. One coastal and one very far south. With the 3+1 curriculum, we will be at an advantage by a whole entire year for networking with the people that could be potentially hiring us as residents after medical school. That’s a big win for ATSU! Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, I just got a really good vibe from the school. I have been excepted to a few schools so far and this one by far felt the most genuine and welcoming to me. There are a few other schools that are also forcing their students to practice ultrasound imaging, and for me wanting to go into emergency medicine, this skill will be incredibly useful. I also think it’s very stupid for schools to be following the traditional 2+2 curriculum pattern because self directed studying and learning in community health centers will forge better doctors in my opinion. SOMA is the only school that I know of that does this. Plus, it is rumored that SOMA will have two more CHC locations in California by next year. One coastal and one very far south. With the 3+1 curriculum, we will be at an advantage by a whole entire year for networking with the people that could be potentially hiring us as residents after medical school. That’s a big win for ATSU! Hope this helps :)
Those are good reasons. Remember, teaching ultrasounds to undergrads is not a big plus. I teach it ad can become RDMS with time and effort. Its a great skill to have in EM.
What is important = Ckibucal rotations...which large hospitals..which tertiary centres,university teaching centres.....Thosexare standards you must look out for..
Thank you.
All the best!

Those are good reasons. Remember, teaching ultrasounds to undergrads is not a big plus. I teach it ad can become RDMS with time and effort. Its a great skill to have in EM.
What is important = Ckibucal rotations...which large hospitals..which tertiary centres,university teaching centres.....Thosexare standards you must look out for..
Thank you.
All the best!

I also like that rotations are preceptor based

will those california CHC's be open to students who are starting in 2019 though?

Thank you.
All the best!

And yes, obviously rotations matter. But a school that focuses on improving traditional curriculums and has faculty that all are very passionate speaks volumes on the success of the school and its students.

how did you hear about the CHC's? I have been accepted here for weeks and still have no info on CHC selection
I talked with several faculty during and after the interview, in particular any California ones.

I was also told about the California CHC's. I hope it is true, I am from So. Cal and would be great to have a CHC here to spend my three years. I also have not gotten the info. about the CHC's yet since acceptance, I was told they were improving the info. and it would be sent out soon.

Is there anyone on here that was offered roll-over admission from last year?

Last edited:
I was not but what does that mean? You interviewed last year, weren’t accepted, but they’re offering you now?

Is there anyone on here that was offered roll-over admission from last year?

I noticed a few people from last years thread state they were. Not sure if they are following this thread.

I was not but what does that mean? You interviewed last year, weren’t accepted, but they’re offering you now?

SOMA has 3 waitlists: alternate list, waitlist, and the accepted pending an open seat list.

The accepted pending an open seat list is used when they have 108 students already accepted and who have paid at least 1 deposit. When they interview new students and like them enough to accept them they put them on this list. It is a ranked list so when a student drops their acceptance the number 1 student automatically gets it and the admins do not have to deliberate about who gets the spot.

If you are on the accepted pending an open seat list when the class starts in july they will sometimes offer to roll over your admission to the next years class, since technically they accepted you but there just wasn't a seat for you. Roll over is not guaranteed to happen every year.

Reactions: 3 users
I noticed a few people from last years thread state they were. Not sure if they are following this thread.

Are you referring to last year's 2017-2018 forum? I checked it out and the last posted date was July 2018 so I'm not sure what you quite mean by people posting 9/14 acceptances there.

When will 9/14 interviewerees hear back?
Hopefully never. Because of you 9/14 folks, us 9/7-ers have to wait even longer to find out, allegedly. But real talk, I kid, I hope we all find out soon. Finishing up day 18 of this hostage situation.

Hopefully never. Because of you 9/14 folks, us 9/7-ers have to wait even longer to find out, allegedly. But real talk, I kid, I hope we all find out soon. Finishing up day 18 of this hostage situation.

I say if it doesn’t happen tomorrow, it probably won’t happen until next week.

Source: literally zero. Just a hunch. lol

Wait are they actually going to send out acceptances from 9/7 and 9/14 together, or is this just rumored?

Are you referring to last year's 2017-2018 forum? I checked it out and the last posted date was July 2018 so I'm not sure what you quite mean by people posting 9/14 acceptances there.

I'm not talking to you, haha. I quoted the person I was responding too.

Hi all, I've been offered an interview in early October but the interview is a 1 hour teleconference interview. I'm confused because it looks like most everyone else on here has had an in person interview? Has anyone been offered this teleconference option?

Hi all, I've been offered an interview in early October but the interview is a 1 hour teleconference interview. I'm confused because it looks like most everyone else on here has had an in person interview? Has anyone been offered this teleconference option?
Do you mind me asking where you’re from??

Do you mind me asking where you’re from??
California, so not very far. I was told that if the interview goes well I might not have to come to campus for an interview? But no specifics on whether that means that if it doesn't go well I'll be able to come in for an in person interview.