2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
California, so not very far. I was told that if the interview goes well I might not have to come to campus for an interview? But no specifics on whether that means that if it doesn't go well I'll be able to come in for an in person interview.
Thats really odd, never have read about that in any of these posts!

Members don't see this ad.

California, so not very far. I was told that if the interview goes well I might not have to come to campus for an interview? But no specifics on whether that means that if it doesn't go well I'll be able to come in for an in person interview.
That’s hella weird. Call admissions. Otherwise congrats! That saves you airfare and a hotel!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. Maybe call the school and check if it’s legit?
Probably should because they have a pretty long and-depth interview session, so it seems odd they would do an hour phone interview and call it good. I mean, the in-person took like five hours lol

Would there be a reason to go to this school over one that's like $7k cheaper per year (LMU-DCOM) other than it being 3+1 and being in an urban environment? Both OOS schools for me.

In a meeting and just missed a call from Phoenix.. Interviewed 9/6. I assume the contents of that call. Probably today will be the day to find stuff out, errybody!

Reactions: 3 users
Confirmed. Voicemail said to expect the acceptance email within a day or two.

Edit: 3/3 on interviews. Hope my two next week go the same way!

Reactions: 5 users
5 years in the making yall. Just got the call. Brb, ugly crying at work. Lilsebastian is gonna be a docta. Interviewed 9/7.

Reactions: 8 users
Got the call as well! To be honest I didn’t really hear anything besides congratulations and accepted so I hope we get the email soon cause I’m cluessless haha Congratulations everyone! For those haven’t gotten them yet, be patient! I’m sure they’re trying their best to call everyone as fast as they can.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone that interviewed on 9/14 get the acceptance call?

Reactions: 1 user
Got the call as well! To be honest I didn’t really hear anything besides congratulations and accepted so I hope we get the email soon cause I’m cluessless haha Congratulations everyone! For those haven’t gotten them yet, be patient! I’m sure they’re trying their best to call everyone as fast as they can.

I literally have zero recollection of the call. Mine apparently lasted 50 seconds, and I maybe said two words

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the email, y’all. It is, in fact, not a dream.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know what alternate seat means? is it the same thing as waitlisted?

Generally separate from waitlist, its where they feel your application needs some improvement but they dont want to outright reject you. So you could improve some aspects and get moved to the waitlist.

For 8/24 accepted group, have any of you gotten info on the CHC sites? Though if rumors are true that theyre negotiating two more California sites, I imagine they'll only release information once theyve finalized all the sites.

For 8/24 accepted group, have any of you gotten info on the CHC sites? Though if rumors are true that theyre negotiating two more California sites, I imagine they'll only release information once theyve finalized all the sites.
No info on CHC yet. The person that called me specifically said not to worry about CHC’s yet and more information will be emailed later. Despite blacking out for a bit, I do remember being specifically told that.

Edit: Apologies, I just realized you were asking 8/24 folks. Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No info on CHC yet. The person that called me specifically said not to worry about CHC’s yet and more information will be emailed later. Despite blacking out for a bit, I do remember being specifically told that.
As long as they have spots in the AZ CHC open if I get accepted I will be happy lol

Any 9/14 interviewers get a call? Maybe tomorrow or next week

Last edited:
Alternate list :(. Super bummed. I thought it went so well. Interviewed 9/7

Anyone know if the alternate list has movement and when?

Generally separate from waitlist, its where they feel your application needs some improvement but they dont want to outright reject you. So you could improve some aspects and get moved to the waitlist.
P

Any idea why a school would interview a student then decide they need to improve on their application?

Would you chose ATSU SOMA over ACOM? If so, why?

P

Any idea why a school would interview a student then decide they need to improve on their application?
Some people asked about it when I interviewed and they said some people need more clinical hours or more volunteer hours. Stuff like that. As to why they would interview you? My best guess is that during the interview they would ask you about the deficiencies

P

This has been my 3rd time applying to medical school. In my opinion it’s not “improve on your application” but more of just doing things to make your application more competitive. For example volunteer work, community involvement, health care experience. All that additional stuff outside of what meets the requirements. They interviewed you because you met their requirements and wanted to see more about you. Idk you or anything about you but I would guess they thought you landed in the middle of the applicants (as I did for a few years). Not that your application was bad, or anything you did was wrong. Just didn’t stand out necessarily. After 2 years of not getting in I took a year off to focus on additional experiences to enhance my application, and give me more to talk about on interview day. So far it’s paid off. I wish I did it from the beginning. Don’t let a waitlist get you down. Speaking from experience! Been there and done that.

Some people asked about it when I interviewed and they said some people need more clinical hours or more volunteer hours. Stuff like that. As to why they would interview you? My best guess is that during the interview they would ask you about the deficiencies

Thank you for the info. That’s odd, I’m interviewing next week and hate to hear that’s a possibility.

This has been my 3rd time applying to medical school. In my opinion it’s not “improve on your application” but more of just doing things to make your application more competitive. For example volunteer work, community involvement, health care experience. All that additional stuff outside of what meets the requirements. They interviewed you because you met their requirements and wanted to see more about you. Idk you or anything about you but I would guess they thought you landed in the middle of the applicants (as I did for a few years). Not that your application was bad or anything you did was wrong. Just didn’t stand our necessarily. After 2 years of not getting in I took a year off to focus on additional experiences to enhance my application, and give me more to talk about on interview day. So far it’s paid off. I wish I did it from the beginning. Don’t let a waitlist get you down. Speaking from experience! Been there and done that.

Thank you so much for the info and congratulations on the acceptance! I’m interviewing next week so appreciate all info I can get.

Would you chose ATSU SOMA over ACOM? If so, why?

Ditto to this question. But more specifically:

1. Do you think there are cons to the 1+3 system (Studying for boards, being away from school staff, etc)
2. It's a bit pricier than ACOM or LMU-DCOM. Still worth it?
3. How much freedom do you really have choosing your 3 year rotation site? During your 4th year, do you have more freedom with electing rotations (Like what if I want to do a residency in CA but I am placed in DC for rotations?)

Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users

Edit: Apologies, I just realized you were asking 8/24 folks. Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit today.

No worries! If anything, I just wanted a general timeline on when I need to find $1000 out of nowhere to pay the deposit and make sure I get my first choice. Or if I can find info on it (their website doesn’t say much and the link to the preceptor info is broken) before the option to pay the deposit is accessible.

can anyone speak to the quality of what the early clinical exposure is in the 2nd year at the CHC? Is it more of a shadowing experience, or a lot of physical exams, or etc?

can anyone speak to the quality of what the early clinical exposure is in the 2nd year at the CHC? Is it more of a shadowing experience, or a lot of physical exams, or etc?

@tweety14 please provide your insight in the CHC experience as a current 4th year! Would really like to know the answer to the above quote and how it affects students choice of rotation (like how hard is it to get an audition rotation). Thanks!

@tweety14 please provide your insight in the CHC experience as a current 4th year! Would really like to know the answer to the above quote and how it affects students choice of rotation (like how hard is it to get an audition rotation). Thanks!
Hi! Not sure I fully understand the 2nd part of your question. I am at the Portland, OR CHC and myself and most of my classmates began doing full patient encounters during our 2nd year (including H&P, OMT when appropriate, patient counseling/education, presenting to preceptors, etc.). I am sure that how much you are able to do depends on the site and your preceptor.
It was nice to develop more confidence in patient encounters early on but I don't think it really relates much to what you are asking about audition rotations. Could you clarify?

Hi! Not sure I fully understand the 2nd part of your question. I am at the Portland, OR CHC and myself and most of my classmates began doing full patient encounters during our 2nd year (including H&P, OMT when appropriate, patient counseling/education, presenting to preceptors, etc.). I am sure that how much you are able to do depends on the site and your preceptor.
It was nice to develop more confidence in patient encounters early on but I don't think it really relates much to what you are asking about audition rotations. Could you clarify?

That’s pretty awesome that you get full patient encounter your second year!

And for clarification, I’m wondering how your chosen CHC site affects where you will be doing your rotations. Do most people stay within their CHC site locations? And if someone wants to have an audition rotation elsewhere, does ATSU provide support in making that process easier/possible? I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks for responding btw!

9/14 interviewees is today the day?

Guess today was not the day lol
Darn :( I just got waitlisted at another school so seriously praying for good news from SOMA, which is my first choice anyway! Hopefully we hear back tomorrow (or soon...) so we can stop worrying! :)

Darn :( I just got waitlisted at another school so seriously praying for good news from SOMA, which is my first choice anyway! Hopefully we hear back tomorrow (or soon...) so we can stop worrying! :)
MY first choice too and close to family. Do you think your interview went well?

Overall, I think I did pretty well. I have a lot of experiences that align with the mission and some unique experiences that really showcased my knowledge for healthcare and the business side of medicine. But I totally froze when they asked why I scored so low on my mcat, and the one written mmi question (you know the one I’m talking about lol). I’m pretty sure I crushed the patient encounters. So not sure how heavily weighed the mcat is....but I’m hoping that didn’t outweigh every other positive aspect of my application
Oh yes I know that question very welll haha. If you don’t mind me asking what’s your mcat?

499. I was so grateful I even got an interview lol
I’m not much higher, a 502 lol. I got an acceptance at least, much to my surprise. Holding out for ATSU though. So I’m sure we both will be fine!