2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey future classmates. Does anyone know when people start to look for our housing in Mesa? Not sure if people are looking for roommates, or if most people live on their own in the first year. Seems like the cost of living is relatively cheap, but if any current students have any advice on living situations for year one please respond!

I’m married with kids so I’m looking for my own place and can’t speak to weather or not people will be looking for roommates, but we’ve called a few apartments near the school and they basically told us to call 2 months before we want to move in to check availability since they’re not sure what units they’ll have this early. Seems like there are plenty of options and they’re all pretty reasonable, so I’m sure we’ll find something when we call later.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you put down the deposit, how do you know which CHC you have been assigned to? For some reason, I don't see this information anywhere!

Reactions: 1 users
Once you put down the deposit, how do you know which CHC you have been assigned to? For some reason, I don't see this information anywhere!

Wondering this as well. Put down my deposit the day after receiving my acceptance, and I understand placement jumps around as people give up their acceptances for other schools...but I'd like to know where I stand as of now.

FYI they added a second set of 10 seats to the Brooklyn Sunset Park CHC. Same clinic, different RDMEs and a separate classroom.

Interesting, especially considering NY was high on my list. Where'd you find this info?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Once you put down your deposit, Dolores Tafoya emails you the info about rank lists. She has been out of the office for the past week and a half, which is probably why you haven't gotten the rank list website.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 3 users
For those leaving Mesa after the 1st year, are you all planning to have a car for the 1st year?

Interesting, especially considering NY was high on my list. Where'd you find this info?

Congrats on your acceptance! When you receive the rank list website, you will see Brooklyn, NY Silver and Brooklyn, NY Blue. Also, your CHC assignment info is emailed to you.

For those leaving Mesa after the 1st year, are you all planning to have a car for the 1st year?

Yes!

Congrats on your acceptance! When you receive the rank list website, you will see Brooklyn, NY Silver and Brooklyn, NY Blue. Also, your CHC assignment info is emailed to you.

Interesting. Can we re-order our CHC priorities? Thinking about how this works for those of us who already gave our CHC preferences before this second option was available.

Interesting. Can we re-order our CHC priorities? Thinking about how this works for those of us who already gave our CHC preferences before this second option was available.

You can, just email Dolores, she’ll reset your list and you can go back into the system and re-rank. Did it for me a few weeks ago.

Reactions: 2 users
For those wondering about housing, if you’re in the FB class group page they’re going to send out an excel sheet about housing options (from what I remember) in mid Feb

Yeah, definitely reorder them if Brooklyn is a high priority for you! They both currently have waitlists, but there's still time for movement. I hope you get it!

Once you put down your deposit, Dolores Tafoya emails you the info about rank lists. She has been out of the office for the past week and a half, which is probably why you haven't gotten the rank list website.

Hope this helps :)

I was trying to get a hold of Dolores to get some more information on the CHC's (did not know she was out of the office) and I got forwarded to this other gal who was answering my questions. I then decided to ask her what my rank was on the "pending a seat" list and she basically said, some deposited students have dropped and accepted offers elsewhere, therefore, I have moved up a bit on the pending a seat list. She said she can't say exactly, but there may be some hope to get a seat. And that they can not guarantee a true admittance to the Class of 2023.

Having to read, "there may be some hope" just ruined me. Seems as though I won't be getting a seat even though other admissions people I have talked to said I was top-middle of the list and to not worry and be patient and that I will be getting a seat soon.

UGH. And, NYIT-COM at Arkansas deposit deadline is tomorrow and I am not sure what to do.

(SOMA INFO: I interviewed Dec 14th, Accepted pending a seat Dec 21st...)

I was trying to get a hold of Dolores to get some more information on the CHC's (did not know she was out of the office) and I got forwarded to this other gal who was answering my questions. I then decided to ask her what my rank was on the "pending a seat" list and she basically said, some deposited students have dropped and accepted offers elsewhere, therefore, I have moved up a bit on the pending a seat list. She said she can't say exactly, but there may be some hope to get a seat. And that they can not guarantee a true admittance to the Class of 2023.

Having to read, "there may be some hope" just ruined me. Seems as though I won't be getting a seat even though other admissions people I have talked to said I was top-middle of the list and to not worry and be patient and that I will be getting a seat soon.

UGH. And, NYIT-COM at Arkansas deposit deadline is tomorrow and I am not sure what to do.

honestly sounds like you just need to be patient. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in the same boat except I haven't been accepted elsewhere yet so I am really riding on SOMA's reply! Waiting is the worse, I feel ya :(
What did you find out about the CHCs? Which are still left?

My anxiety ridden self would go ahead and place a deposit for NYITCOM just to have that peace of mind, but man those deposits are steep!

If that's your only other acceptance, definitely put down that deposit. Crossing my fingers for you for SOMA!

Did you email saying that SOMA was your first choice? I think that they take that into account

If that's your only other acceptance, definitely put down that deposit. Crossing my fingers for you for SOMA!

I do not think NYITCOM at the Arkansas branch campus teaches to the boards and their board scores are 90.6% which is below the national average. Just worries me and why I just want to put all my faith in SOMA giving me a seat!

And all of you are all so nice and sweet, makes me want to attend SOMA even more <3

Yes!

So I paid my deposit and submitted my rank list for CHCs and got the confirmation email that I had submitted my list (this was over a week ago now), but I haven’t heard anything else. I was expecting Dolores to email me which I was officially assigned to currently, but I haven’t heard anything. So has she emailed you all after you submitted the rank list? Or are you just going off of what you ranked?

Last edited:
So I paid my deposit and submitted my rank list for CHCs and got the confirmation email that I had submitted my list (this was over a week ago now), but I haven’t heard anything else. I was expecting Dolores to email me which I was officially assigned to currently, but I haven’t heard anything. So has she emailed you all after you submitted the rank list? Or are you just going off of what you ranked?

She emailed me after I submitted the rank list with a contract for the CHC that I had been assigned to. Feel free to follow-up with her or admissions to receive information about when you can expect to receive your current assignment.

II today, but only dates left are late March or late April. Am I basically just looking at a spot on the waitlist?

II today, but only dates left are late March or late April. Am I basically just looking at a spot on the waitlist?

I can’t answer definitively, but based on this thread it sounds like almost every person after December is competing for the waitlist, but they rank the waitlist into pending seat (someone gives up their acceptance) and alternate (after all pending seats have been offered)

Accepted this morning!! Pending a seat since 12/21.

Got a II a few days ago but it's set for February 22. Thought they silently rejected me. Good to know. Solid school for sure. Hopefully I won't end up on the waitlist.

Does SOMA have a dress code? I forgot to ask the students

Does SOMA have a dress code? I forgot to ask the students
If I remember correctly it was business casual, or scrubs. Although I believe you can wear shorts and t-shirts to OMM lab.

Anybody else extremely ready to start??? Or am I the only crazy one on here?

I'm super excited too, but a little scared at the same time! Just submitted my CHC rankings and deposit today. It's getting real!

I'm very ready! It is finally feeling close to start time and I am excited and a little scared at the same time.

I’m so bummed to see I got Ohio as my CHC. I really am set on staying in Arizona near my family. I really wanted Tucson or Phoenix. Did anyone get a CHC they didn’t want? How did it end up? I am hoping people drop and I get off the waitlist for either.

I’m so bummed to see I got Ohio as my CHC. I really am set on staying in Arizona near my family. I really wanted Tucson or Phoenix. Did anyone get a CHC they didn’t want? How did it end up? I am hoping people drop and I get off the waitlist for either.

I’ve gotten bumped twice! I’d say stay hopeful. There should be more movement before the second deposit due in May!

I’ve gotten bumped twice! I’d say stay hopeful. There should be more movement before the second deposit due in May!
I just ranked my CHCs yesterday and so far it looks like I'm placed in Scranton but they didn't follow up with an email. Do they notify you periodically when you have been bumped or is it up to us to keep checking?

I just ranked my CHCs yesterday and so far it looks like I'm placed in Scranton but they didn't follow up with an email. Do they notify you periodically when you have been bumped or is it up to us to keep checking?

Once a higher ranked CHC opens up, Dolores will email you to see if you’re still interested! So you don’t have to worry about it.

For me, I submitted my ranking and deposit and South Carolina was the highest CHC on my list that didn’t say “waitlist only” so I kind of just assumed I was assigned there. I didn’t hear anything back after submitting my list for a full two weeks, but then Dolores emailed me with an official CHC agreement form that was, sure enough, South Carolina. The email also said I’m on the waitlist for those that are higher up, and she’ll email me if a seat becomes available. Anyway, this was my experience, hope that helps!

Accepted! I want to go but it is dependent on CHC. Anyone know the odds of that? Also how does anatomy second year work

Interviewed 1/25. Placed on an alternate list. Anyone know how quickly it moves?