2018-2019 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard them saying that they have a new CHC in San Diego, but I'm not sure if they opened it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn #11... that's rough. Were they pretty positive that you'd move up, maybe even up to one of your top 3?

------------------------------------

So... I wonder how many people get stuck in CHC's that aren't in their top 3? Can any current students speak to this?

I'm currently in my 2nd choice CHC, moved up from my 6th choice (where I was put when I put my deposit down in December); however, I have a friend who recently got an accepted pending open seat, and they were curious as to what their chances would realistically be to get into one of their top 3 CHC's this late into the cycle? Can any current students speak to this?

In a class of 109 students, it's bound to happen that not all students end up in their top choice CHC. Due to the popularity of some CHCs compared to others. So yes, I know some of my classmates that ended up in CHCs not on their top 3 list. It happens but it's not common.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard them saying that they have a new CHC in San Diego, but I'm not sure if they opened it yet.
The CHC is open for class of 2023. It's in San Ysidro on the borders. The info for the new CHCs is on the ATSU webesite, I believe.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In a class of 109 students, it's bound to happen that not all students end up in their top choice CHC. Due to the popularity of some CHCs compared to others. So yes, I know some of my classmates that ended up in CHCs not on their top 3 list. It happens but it's not common.

do you have any examples, like how far down were people on their list?

Is it safe to assume that all CHC sites allow away rotations for 4th year electives/sub-i's? Some of the CHC sites weren't very clear on that and their offices weren't picking up when I called. Was hoping to submit my ranks today...

EDIT: wondering specifically about the WA, Chicago, and Phoenix/Mesa sites.

Last edited:

I think this would be tricky to answer without official adcom input. What's #1, 2 and 3 for me might be #11, 12 and 13 to you. On top of that, if my top choices are, for lack of a better term, less desirable locations, I'm more likely to end up in my top three vs somebody whose choices are all the most competitive locations.

Short answer: call admissions if you want an actual answer as opposed to our playful conjecture

Are there any deposits due at SOMA soon or is anyone planning on giving up their seat? Hoping for some movement on the pending seat list soon :sorry:

Are there any deposits due at SOMA soon or is anyone planning on giving up their seat? Hoping for some movement on the pending seat list soon :sorry:

how long have you been on the pending seat list?

Dead last lol. Sorry, I know it's not what you guys want to hear but sometimes it does happen. Especially since there is a lot of movement and it's so late in the cycle.

However, besides geography, all CHCs provide similar quality of education as the admins monitor the performance of each CHC and send curriculum representative to each CHC on a regular basis to ensure the requirements set by the school are met.

Is it safe to assume that all CHC sites allow away rotations for 4th year electives/sub-i's? Some of the CHC sites weren't very clear on that and their offices weren't picking up when I called. Was hoping to submit my ranks today...

EDIT: wondering specifically about the WA, Chicago, and Phoenix/Mesa sites.

All CHCs allow for audition rotations. They encourage students to do so, so you can put your name out there when time comes for interviews.

Your best bet when it comes to contacting a specific CHC is to email the RDME for that CHC, not calling.

Reactions: 2 users
All CHCs allow for audition rotations. They encourage students to do so, so you can put your name out there when time comes for interviews.

Your best bet when it comes to contacting a specific CHC is to email the RDME for that CHC, not calling.
Thanks so much! That’s good to know in case I have more site specific questions in the future. Some sites didn’t have any contact info or ppts so I ended up emailing the office and they connected me with someone:)

Housing questions! Has anyone leased a place yet? What’re some places you’re considering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing questions! Has anyone leased a place yet? What’re some places you’re considering?
Just wanna put this out there, I grew up ten minutes from the school. so if anyone has any question about the area, feel free to ask!

Just wanna put this out there, I grew up ten minutes from the school. so if anyone has any question about the area, feel free to ask!

Wow, that helps a ton! I’m looking at the Modern on Gilbert and Solara at Mill Avenue (Tempe? ~11 miles away?). Could you give feedback on these areas?

Wow, that helps a ton! I’m looking at the Modern on Gilbert and Solara at Mill Avenue (Tempe? ~11 miles away?). Could you give feedback on these areas?
I would advise against living this far. Yes it's a 20 min drive, but you want to be closer to school especially since you have to drive to school at least 2-3 times a week. It makes your life easier.

Also, Tempe is a college town and tends to be louder on weekends.

Colonial Grands, Liv Northgate, and Aviva are the 3 most popular places that students live in.

I would advise against living this far. Yes it's a 20 min drive, but you want to be closer to school especially since you have to drive to school at least 2-3 times a week. It makes your life easier.

Also, Tempe is a college town and tends to be louder on weekends.

Colonial Grands, Liv Northgate, and Aviva are the 3 most popular places that students live in.

I totally thought of all this. My only problem is that those 3 places you mentioned are banked out. I’m trying to stay 900 and under if I can. The drive, I really don’t mind too much. I drive an hour to work and an hour home everyday. I figure it can be time to clear my mind?

Ps I’m open to feedback on my thought process.

Mill ave is a nice area but is kinda far but is completely doable. I commute 40 min to school now so anything is better lol. There are lots of nice complexes in Gilbert though.

Lots of fun things to do in Mill Ave/Tempe area though

Mill ave is a nice area but is kinda far but is completely doable. I commute 40 min to school now so anything is better lol. There are lots of nice complexes in Gilbert though.

Lots of fun things to do in Mill Ave/Tempe area though

I appreciate the response! Thank you!

Question for you all...when ranking your CHC's, what were some things that you looked that contributed to your rankings? Was it how many inpatient/outpatients rotations are offered? Rotation types? How the CHC's looked in terms of it being established or not? The number of CHC locations in that location that you can do rotations? Travel time to CHC's?

I was told to keep in mind that all the CHCs will have well-vetted faculty and support from the Mesa campus. It seems as though most decisions are made based on family/spouse, interest in working with certain populations, or preference for certain locations in the U.S.

I am considering re-ranking as I research more about certain places. Like for instance, Flagstaff might have more traveling involved in 3rd year. And San Diego only has like 2-3 inpatient rotations? Also Mesa has a lot of travel because of traffic according to current students. SO MANY THINGS TO THINK ABOUT. lol. Any comments on this that could help me make some decisions are very appreciated!

Question for you all...when ranking your CHC's, what were some things that you looked that contributed to your rankings? Was it how many inpatient/outpatients rotations are offered? Rotation types? How the CHC's looked in terms of it being established or not? The number of CHC locations in that location that you can do rotations? Travel time to CHC's?

I was told to keep in mind that all the CHCs will have well-vetted faculty and support from the Mesa campus. It seems as though most decisions are made based on family/spouse, interest in working with certain populations, or preference for certain locations in the U.S.

I am considering re-ranking as I research more about certain places. Like for instance, Flagstaff might have more traveling involved in 3rd year. And San Diego only has like 2-3 inpatient rotations? Also Mesa has a lot of travel because of traffic according to current students. SO MANY THINGS TO THINK ABOUT. lol. Any comments on this that could help me make some decisions are very appreciated!

How many inpatient rotations do most of the CHCs have? here's a few based on the FAQs

San Ysidro-CHC - 3
Brooklyn - 5
Mesa - variable, 4-5 over 3rd and 4th year
Ridgeland - 8-9
Visalia - 4
Renton - 5-6
Mt. Orab - 4

and that's all i looked at.

I picked my CHCs based on patient demographic, location, and travel time. I don’t want to constantly travel a lot and I love Arizona — I could see myself doing residency there.

Also, I like Tucson because cost of living is cheaper than the other Arizona locations.

can any current students report on the 2019 match at all for SOMA?

Reactions: 4 users
This cycle was literally a s**tshow for me. When I almost lost hope that I will not get an interview this cycle, ATSU SOMA surprised me with an interview invite. Now, I am on the APS anxiously waiting for the opportunity to start medical school and not having to reapply and go through this process again!!
I have been anxiously waiting to hear of some movement as well.

Last edited:
This cycle was literally a s**tshow for me. When I almost lost hope that I will not get an interview this cycle, ATSU SOMA surprised me with an interview invite. Now, I am on the APS anxiously waiting for the opportunity to start medical school and not having to reapply and go through this process again!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya! This is my second time around and it’s been just as stressful and money consuming as the first, except this time I got a lot better results!

1) Any updates on the awaiting pending candidate list? Has anyone recently got fully accepted?

2) Any updates on SOMA match list 2019? Has anyone contacted admissions and asked when this may be public information?

I recently received my full acceptance.

Interviewed: 2/22
Accepting Pending Seat: 3/5
Full Acceptance: 3/15

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi guys, I’m debating between 2 chc’s. If any current students wouldn’t mind answering some questions I have please PM me.

All the CHCs are currently filled except for the one in Alton IL. If anyone could give me some insight about this location, I would really appreciate it.

All the CHCs are currently filled except for the one in Alton IL. If anyone could give me some insight about this location, I would really appreciate it.

I emailed Dolores regarding this a couple days ago. I will let you know as soon as I get a response. Anyone else know any info?? I am currently in Scranton, PA but I could go into Alton, IL. I am trying to look at the pros and cons.

Great! Thanks
I emailed Dolores regarding this a couple days ago. I will let you know as soon as I get a response. Anyone else know any info?? I am currently in Scranton, PA but I could go into Alton, IL. I am trying to look at the pros and cons.

Yep at interview they said that we would be put on waitlist and that the only CHC is Illinois. I am sad.

Anyone know how we can find the match list for this year?
I'm a current 4th year and they haven't released the complete list to us yet. So whatever you get right now probably will not be accurate.

I'm a current 4th year and they haven't released the complete list to us yet. So whatever you get right now probably will not be accurate.

hi. any idea or ETA when it will be available to you guys and the general public?

hi. any idea or ETA when it will be available to you guys and the general public?
I think we received it during April last year so my best guess would be within the next month?

I recently was moved from WL to full acceptance here. I am pretty excited, but they told me that the only CHC available is in southern Illinois. I have nothing against the Midwest, but would not have ranked the site highly. Is it worthwhile to put a deposit down in hope of moving up in the ranked list? Or is it pretty likely we'll get low choices at this point in the cycle? 3 years is quite an investment to not have a preference.

I recently was moved from WL to full acceptance here. I am pretty excited, but they told me that the only CHC available is in southern Illinois. I have nothing against the Midwest, but would not have ranked the site highly. Is it worthwhile to put a deposit down in hope of moving up in the ranked list? Or is it pretty likely we'll get low choices at this point in the cycle? 3 years is quite an investment to not have a preference.

Congrats on moving off the waitlist! Has anyone else had luck with moving to a full acceptance?

Sorry, I don’t have any insights about CHCS.

Congrats on the acceptance! So, I don't know anything about the site, but I do live about an hour from Alton, and I have a friend who lives in Alton with his wife (she's in dental school). They love the area. It is conveniently located about 30 minutes from St. Louis, MO.

Any of you guys currently placed in Scranton PA? Also, which one is better Alton IL or Scranton PA? I have never been in any of these places, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.