2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take you all after completion to receive an interview? Just to confirm there is no way to check the status of our application online right?

Does this school call to announce that you have an interview?

No, they’ll email you if you’re invited for an interview. They’ll call if you’re accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you all after completion to receive an interview?
I received the invitation to interview by email about 2 weeks after receiving the complete email. So from submitting the secondary to receiving an interview, it took about 3 weeks for my application.

Who sends out rejection email on the weekend? oh yeah that ACOM :scared: Thanks for ruining my weekend :smack:

How long does it take to receive a secondary? I submitted my primary to this school one week ago

Can students eat and drink in class?

For the auditoriums, you can bring your drink in if it has a closed top. I think there was a sign outside the auditorium that says no food, but we’ve been snacking in there. Depends on which faculty is watching you or lecturing.

No food or drinks during anatomy labs.

Drinks are fine during OPP labs, but I rarely saw anyone eating during the lab because it’s hands on.

Hold but I took it as a rejection. Like really what are my chances here? 0
I got one of those pre-II hold things too, but I think state of residence plays into it a decent amount. Regardless, they get like 5000 apps or something so don't take it personally... the whole process is essentially picking names out of a hat. They mention that they will check your updates as you provide them, so do something worth an update and send it to them so that it warrants another file review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold but I took it as a rejection. Like really what are my chances here? 0
dont! I would call and talk to Mr. Willis and see if there are parts of your application that need work. I did, sent in an update, and hopefully will be reviewed soon. He told me in the first ~3 months they look at top applicants, place the less competitive on hold, and review them later once things have started to slow down.

I got one of those pre-II hold things too, but I think state of residence plays into it a decent amount. Regardless, they get like 5000 apps or something so don't take it personally... the whole process is essentially picking names out of a hat. They mention that they will check your updates as you provide them, so do something worth an update and send it to them so that it warrants another file review.

Okay. That's promising but I don't have anything to update them on except for my masters project which won't be complete before April next year. I really don't think I should email them that my project got IRB approved lol. Hopefully I can get my publication processed within the next month or so and I can send that.

I have an interview at the end of the month, I am crossing my fingers. I read a few of the comments before but does anyone have any other input on the interview? Format? Questions types? Length? If you feel like paying it forward, any information would be much appreciated. Thanks all and good luck this year.

Okay. That's promising but I don't have anything to update them on except for my masters project which won't be complete before April next year. I really don't think I should email them that my project got IRB approved lol. Hopefully I can get my publication processed within the next month or so and I can send that.

Maybe start volunteering somewhere or take up a new hobby. Personal growth is really valuable, too.

I have an interview at the end of the month, I am crossing my fingers. I read a few of the comments before but does anyone have any other input on the interview? Format? Questions types? Length? If you feel like paying it forward, any information would be much appreciated. Thanks all and good luck this year.

Last I heard, it was one 30 min interview with two faculty at the same time with your app in front of them. Conversational interview - they want to get to know you and see if you’re a good fit for the school. Be prepared for questions like why medicine, why DO, why ACOM, why Dothan, etc. Make sure you can answer any question about your your app. If you’ve done research/volunteering, make sure you’re able to explain them if they ask.

Reactions: 3 users
Much appreciated.

Last I heard, it was one 30 min interview with two faculty at the same time with your app in front of them. Conversational interview - they want to get to know you and see if you’re a good fit for the school. Be prepared for questions like why medicine, why DO, why ACOM, why Dothan, etc. Make sure you can answer any question about your your app. If you’ve done research/volunteering, make sure you’re able to explain them if they ask.

Last edited:
How long did it take for you guys to receive a complete email after submitting the secondary?

Does anyone remember what days exams are typically? Monday’s or Friday?

Depends on the course. Some course directors like Friday exams, others like Monday exams. My class just finished Cardio a couple weeks ago and all exams were Monday ones. Respiratory is also all Monday exams. I remember 1st year being mostly Friday exams though.

Is the ACOM portal down for anyone else? I can't open it.

Canceled my November interview this morning. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

withdrew my app, was scheduled to interview 10/19 but received an acceptance elsewhere. Good luck to you all and look forward to being future colleagues :)

If you have any questions about ACOM, feel free to message me! I am a 1st year so I can only give you my take on 1st year things!

If you have any questions about ACOM, feel free to message me! I am a 1st year so I can only give you my take on 1st year things!
Hey there!

Do you live on campus or off? How do you like it wherever you are?

Did you come from a big city or small like Dothan?

Is there anything ACOM doesn’t have or doesn’t offer that you wish it did?

Hey there!

Do you live on campus or off? How do you like it wherever you are?

Did you come from a big city or small like Dothan?

I live off campus and love it. Many of my friends live on campus and love it. Its a matter of preference really. I come from an average-sized city, not big like NYC but not small like Dothan.

Is there anything ACOM doesn’t have or doesn’t offer that you wish it did?

For now, I have no complaints. Its really too soon for me to be able to answer that. Maybe a classmate of mine can answer that for you.

Hey guys how long did it take for yall to get any update after the complete email?

Hey guys how long did it take for yall to get any update after the complete email?
I received the invitation to interview by email about 2 weeks after receiving the complete email. Please keep in mind that the school lost power as a result of Hurricane Michael, so they may be delayed in processing applications.

Hey, thanks for offering! Do you know how early you guys start standardized patient visits and simulations? Also, I know during the interview we were told about summer research opportunities, so far has there been any talk about research in general?

Hey, thanks for offering! Do you know how early you guys start standardized patient visits and simulations? Also, I know during the interview we were told about summer research opportunities, so far has there been any talk about research in general?

Start standardized patient visits towards the middle of first semester once you learn how to obtain patient history. We did a lot of the simulations starting second semester, but if you’re part of the SIM-lympics tournament, you may get simulation training first semester.

Start standardized patient visits towards the middle of first semester once you learn how to obtain patient history. We did a lot of the simulations starting second semester, but if you’re part of the SIM-lympics tournament, you may get simulation training first semester.
Thank you!! How do you like the school?

Thank you!! How do you like the school?

It’s fine. First two years in classroom is okay, but rotations have been great. I chose ACOM because of its established clinical rotations and fourth year being free for mainly electives, which is great if you want to spend fourth year back home.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s fine. First two years in classroom is okay, but rotations have been great. I chose ACOM because of its established clinical rotations and fourth year being free for mainly electives, which is great if you want to spend fourth year back home.
This is literally what I wanted to hear. I was fortunate enough to get accepted here and NYIT in Jonesboro and from my understanding they really want you to stay in Arkansas - which can be great but I'd like the ability to do my electives more broadly! Did you feel adequately prepared for boards when they came up? I know this is rather student dependent, but I'd like to know if you feel the school played a good role in your success :)

This is literally what I wanted to hear. I was fortunate enough to get accepted here and NYIT in Jonesboro and from my understanding they really want you to stay in Arkansas - which can be great but I'd like the ability to do my electives more broadly! Did you feel adequately prepared for boards when they came up? I know this is rather student dependent, but I'd like to know if you feel the school played a good role in your success :)

ACOM lets you do your fourth year outside their clerkship system. If you’re able to find preceptors not attached to a residency program and get approved or apply through VSAS/VSLO, then you’re free to do your electives/audition rotations broadly.

I think it’s very student dependent for boards. However, I did feel that ACOM prepared us well for COMLEX, but not USMLE because USMLE has more biochem and stats on it and ACOM’s molecular medicine class didn’t hit enough board detailed material. The rest of the systems were fine, but reproductive system was overkill. That class prepped you really well for OBGYN rotation, COMLEX 2/Step 2, and the OBGYN shelf, but it was information overload for COMLEX 1/Step 1.

The mandatory Wolfpacc program board prep class didn’t help me at all, but it helped some students. I wish it was optional for students who scored above a 500 or 600 on their practice exam. I preferred to do practice questions and tests on my own rather than having someone lecture at me for 7ish hours a day for 3-4 weeks.

what is the turnaround time from doing the secondary to hearing about II? also is there a complete email after submitting secondary becasue i didnt get one

what is the turnaround time from doing the secondary to hearing about II? also is there a complete email after submitting secondary becasue i didnt get one

I got an email saying that the admissions committee is a bit behind due to the hurricane. They're processing our secondaries now so we should get a complete email soon.