2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all. Hope I can get some further insight from students or people who know students here. For years 3-4, do students generally have to move, or are rotations a drivable distance from the Dothan area? I would be moving my family (and kids in elementary school) so I’m hoping I can stay in one place all 4 years before moving again for residency. I’d like to minimize switching them out of different school districts as much as possible

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Hope I can get some further insight from students or people who know students here. For years 3-4, do students generally have to move, or are rotations a drivable distance from the Dothan area? I would be moving my family (and kids in elementary school) so I’m hoping I can stay in one place all 4 years before moving again for residency. I’d like to minimize switching them out of different school districts as much as possible

For third year, you will have to move if you choose a rotation site elsewhere. They have around 10 spots per year in Dothan if you want to stay, but the rotation “mini-match” is based off some sort of algorithm. However, seems like ACOM does take into consideration families and medical student couples.

For third year, you will have to move if you choose a rotation site elsewhere. They have around 10 spots per year in Dothan if you want to stay, but the rotation “mini-match” is based off some sort of algorithm. However, seems like ACOM does take into consideration families and medical student couples.

And each rotation site is able to fulfill all the core rotations and elective rotations (excluding audition rotations)?

Members don't see this ad :)
And each rotation site is able to fulfill all the core rotations and elective rotations (excluding audition rotations)?

Each rotation site is supposed to be able fulfill all the core rotations, but there has been some incidences where students at the smaller sites in smaller cities had to travel to another site to complete a core rotation or two because preceptors decided to not have students at that time or their site did not have a good enough rotation for that specialty. Electives at each site depends on how many preceptors they can get in different specialities. Generally speaking, if you’re at a bigger site or a bigger city, there’s usually not as big of a struggle. One of my friends at the Dothan site has had no problems fulfilling all the core requirements there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, thanks for offering! Do you know how early you guys start standardized patient visits and simulations? Also, I know during the interview we were told about summer research opportunities, so far has there been any talk about research in general?
I can speak about the summer research a bit. If you have never done any research before, their summer research fellowships are a good place to start getting that experience. Especially if you just want to try it and aren't sure if you will like it or not. There were about 10 professors that had research projects going and in the spring they have an application process for students that want to be involved. Each professor took one fellow (the fellow received a small stipend) and most took 1-2 students that wanted to volunteer with them in the lab. No professor had more than 3 students so you had a lot of one-on-one time and they were all very fun to work with. For last summer, I believe about 22 students applied (most leave the area for the summer) so most of the students that weren't picked as fellows still got to work with a professor as a volunteer. They held a weekly journal club during the summer and at the end of the summer you were expected to write up an abstract and submit it for the annual poster day hosted by the hospital. The poster day had the summer research students among other students from ACOM that did different projects/case study presentations and students from a few other schools. All-in-all I enjoyed my experience and would definitely do it all again.

I can speak about the summer research a bit. If you have never done any research before, their summer research fellowships are a good place to start getting that experience. Especially if you just want to try it and aren't sure if you will like it or not. There were about 10 professors that had research projects going and in the spring they have an application process for students that want to be involved. Each professor took one fellow (the fellow received a small stipend) and most took 1-2 students that wanted to volunteer with them in the lab. No professor had more than 3 students so you had a lot of one-on-one time and they were all very fun to work with. For last summer, I believe about 22 students applied (most leave the area for the summer) so most of the students that weren't picked as fellows still got to work with a professor as a volunteer. They held a weekly journal club during the summer and at the end of the summer you were expected to write up an abstract and submit it for the annual poster day hosted by the hospital. The poster day had the summer research students among other students from ACOM that did different projects/case study presentations and students from a few other schools. All-in-all I enjoyed my experience and would definitely do it all again.
That's great to hear, glad you enjoyed it!! Thanks for a very detailed response, too. So the research is primarily done during the summer months? Is there some kind of regulation in that, if I chose to do research the summer of my first year, I can't (or will be less likely to be picked) to do summer research after year two and year three? I actually really love doing research and have been doing it for years now. What kind of research projects if you don't mind me asking? are they like clinical research or bench work?

ACOM lets you do your fourth year outside their clerkship system. If you’re able to find preceptors not attached to a residency program and get approved or apply through VSAS/VSLO, then you’re free to do your electives/audition rotations broadly.

I think it’s very student dependent for boards. However, I did feel that ACOM prepared us well for COMLEX, but not USMLE because USMLE has more biochem and stats on it and ACOM’s molecular medicine class didn’t hit enough board detailed material. The rest of the systems were fine, but reproductive system was overkill. That class prepped you really well for OBGYN rotation, COMLEX 2/Step 2, and the OBGYN shelf, but it was information overload for COMLEX 1/Step 1.

The mandatory Wolfpacc program board prep class didn’t help me at all, but it helped some students. I wish it was optional for students who scored above a 500 or 600 on their practice exam. I preferred to do practice questions and tests on my own rather than having someone lecture at me for 7ish hours a day for 3-4 weeks.

Thank you for this! So in order to do an audition rotation that is outside the clerkship, I would be responsible for finding a preceptor in the area I want to audition and they have to not be attatched to a residency program? Sorry if i'm being redundant I just want to make sure I understand everything clearly. Do they provide any help with setting up these 4th year rotations and finding preceptors or are you pretty much on your own? Thank you so much for all your insight, I really truly appreciate it!!

waitlisted post II from 10/5. I guess I didn't compose myself well.

Thank you for this! So in order to do an audition rotation that is outside the clerkship, I would be responsible for finding a preceptor in the area I want to audition and they have to not be attatched to a residency program? Sorry if i'm being redundant I just want to make sure I understand everything clearly. Do they provide any help with setting up these 4th year rotations and finding preceptors or are you pretty much on your own? Thank you so much for all your insight, I really truly appreciate it!!

There’s two ways you can do auditions/aways. First way is through the VSAS/VSLO app. The rotations/electives are usually at a hospital that has an affiliated residency program. The program coordinator for that rotation will usually assign you to a preceptor who will fill out your evaluation at the end of the rotation. At these programs, you generally work with the residents more so than the preceptors. Documents between these hospitals and ACOM can be easier since these hospitals are used to having visiting students.

The second way is to find your own preceptor. This tends to be at a hospital that is not affiliated with a residency program. For example, you may have a family friend or a person you know back home who is physician and who agrees to let you rotate with him/her. ACOM then needs to approve of this and make sure the hospital/clinic has the appropriate documents. These can be harder if the hospital/clinic has never had a student there and if the hospital coordinator does not know the appropriate documents needed for visiting students. You usually work with your preceptor or other attendings and not so much with residents if they do not have a residency program there.

You are on your own for finding your own preceptors if you are not using the VSAS app.

Just got the call, ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed 10/5

Reactions: 3 users
To those waitlisted, be patient. DO schools have significant movement in the late fall as students get other acceptances to MD schools or schools closer to home. I was accepted here in early September and was accepted to my instate MD program just recently so there will be another spot there soon. ACOM atmosphere was great for those still looking forward to interviewing and attending btw! Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite just now, thankful but all the dates are full until January

Ahh it makes sense now
There’s two ways you can do auditions/aways. First way is through the VSAS/VSLO app. The rotations/electives are usually at a hospital that has an affiliated residency program. The program coordinator for that rotation will usually assign you to a preceptor who will fill out your evaluation at the end of the rotation. At these programs, you generally work with the residents more so than the preceptors. Documents between these hospitals and ACOM can be easier since these hospitals are used to having visiting students.

The second way is to find your own preceptor. This tends to be at a hospital that is not affiliated with a residency program. For example, you may have a family friend or a person you know back home who is physician and who agrees to let you rotate with him/her. ACOM then needs to approve of this and make sure the hospital/clinic has the appropriate documents. These can be harder if the hospital/clinic has never had a student there and if the hospital coordinator does not know the appropriate documents needed for visiting students. You usually work with your preceptor or other attendings and not so much with residents if they do not have a residency program there.

You are on your own for finding your own preceptors if you are not using the VSAS app.
!! T

oohhhh, I understand! Wow, thank you SO much! You've been the biggest help :)

whoever got accepted can you please tell me how your interview went down? I am so disheartened. Please pm me if you can on some practical advice and signs from your interviewers

whoever got accepted can you please tell me how your interview went down? I am so disheartened. Please pm me if you can on some practical advice and signs from your interviewers
You really don't have to prep for this and I really mean that. As someone who went through this, I did not feel unprepared at all. It was really not like a traditional interview but I felt that was a good thing. You will be fine as long you are respectful, honest, and professional. I promise it's not bad. You sound very tensed but please try not to be and this is coming from a generally anxious person. Once again, it will be alright.

Reactions: 1 users
You really don't have to prep for this and I really mean that. As someone who went through this, I did not feel unprepared at all. It was really not like a traditional interview but I felt that was a good thing. You will be fine as long you are respectful, honest, and professional. I promise it's not bad. You sound very tensed but please try not to be and this is coming from a generally anxious person. Once again, it will be alright.
I already got waitlisted my friend.

I just want to know for myself in the future, if I ever receive an opportunity that is.

Just declined interview scheduled for 11/9 if someone wants to grab that spot!

Anyone have any thoughts on ACOM vs. CUSOM? Feel free to PM me

Does anyone know the first time pass rates on ACOM throughout the years?

First time pass rates for COMLEX 1

Class of 2017 - 88.7%
Class of 2018 - 88.4%
Class of 2019 - 93.7% (dean’s email)
Class of 2020 - 90.5%

Institutional Data | Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

I don’t think the info for class of 2019 is accurate on the website because it’s the same exact numbers as the class of 2018. Not sure if they just copied and pasted the template and forgot to change the numbers, but our dean emailed our class that the pass rate was 93.7% with the average COMLEX 1 515.

First time pass rates for COMLEX 1

Class of 2017 - 88.7%
Class of 2018 - 88.4%
Class of 2019 - 93.7% (dean’s email)
Class of 2020 - 90.5%

Institutional Data | Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

I don’t think the info for class of 2019 is accurate on the website because it’s the same exact numbers as the class of 2018. Not sure if they just copied and pasted the template and forgot to change the numbers, but our dean emailed our class that the pass rate was 93.7% with the average COMLEX 1 515.
amazing thank you so much! What would you say increased the percentage for the class of 2019 and what do you think decreased it in 2020?

Just cancelled my interview here on November 2nd!

Has anyone not received the submission confirmation for the secondary? It’s been 8 days for me & I emailed my essays as well, but still no word. I emailed them again yesterday about this but no response yet

II just now! Only open dates were in january :( whateva! woo

Dat II just now!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone not received the submission confirmation for the secondary? It’s been 8 days for me & I emailed my essays as well, but still no word. I emailed them again yesterday about this but no response yet

Don't worry it took about a mth for me to get complete. The II came much faster.

Has anyone been able to get in contact with ACOM via phone? I have a question for them but haven’t been able to reach anyone.

II today but every single date to choose from until January 25th was grayed out

Bummer. Just received this today after being complete for around a month.

"Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview later in the cycle."

Is this essentially just an interview waitlist?

Don't worry it took about a mth for me to get complete. The II came much faster.
How long after submitted your secondary did you get your II? I'm just curious

Interview scheduled for 11/09. I'm URM pacific islander male with long hair and will probably wear it in a neat bun. A significant portion of my app references my heritage and upbringing on the islands. I'm a bit self conscious as to how it will be received by the interviewers, however. Any advice?

Bummer. Just received this today after being complete for around a month.

"Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview later in the cycle."

Is this essentially just an interview waitlist?

Yeah, that's an interview waitlist. Don't lose hope though. My application was verified 8/30, I received the interview waitlist email on 9/13 and got an II on 10/23.

Super OOS (for reference).

Just called and declined my acceptance. I got into my state school. Congrats to those with interviews and acceptances here. ACOM was great just can’t pass up my state MD school. Good luck to everyone!

Interview scheduled for 11/09. I'm URM pacific islander male with long hair and will probably wear it in a neat bun. A significant portion of my app references my heritage and upbringing on the islands. I'm a bit self conscious as to how it will be received by the interviewers, however. Any advice?
You were offered an interview because they loved your application and want to get to know you better. Just be yourself and I'm sure you'll do awesome!

Our class is very diverse. I know many guys with long hair so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't have bed head, can manage to shave or clean up your lines, and don't show up disheveled, your personal preferences for appearance don't seem to matter much to ADCOM if you can manage to look presentable when necessary.

I was very pleased with the interview today. Overall, solid program and great future. Thanks ACOM.

Here is the Facebook page for accepted students! Log into Facebook | Facebook
this should link to the group once you log in, but if it doesn't work just search "ACOM Class of 2023!"