2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Kalam how do you know that they will likely not have a mandatory attendance policy next year? This is one factor that is really deterring me from attending ACOM, and I have an interview coming up at the end of February.

I don't know for certain, but it has been a rumor floating around for the last few weeks amongst the students. Some admin have become more receptive to these sorts of changes lately so I would say that it is a rumor that has some traction. Nothing is guaranteed, though, so be careful hanging your hat on it. I will note, however, that the "mandatory attendance" thing really hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. It's "only" 60% of lectures, and it's not like you have lectures 8 hours per day. I think maybe 20% of my class actually uses up all of their skips.

Members don't see this ad.

What didn’t you like about wolfpacc?

I don't start Wolfpacc until a couple more months (assuming I don't opt out), but the word from previous classes was that it was a fantastic resource to make sure everyone does decently well on the boards. The problem is that for students who are already way ahead of the curve (I know a few students in my class who are already scoring 650+ on the COMLEX practice exams) it ends up holding them back to the same pace as the rest of the class, when they would be better served continuing to do what they are already doing. I think that's why the admin stated that Wolfpacc will be optional for those who "opt-out" by scoring sufficiently well on a COMSAE as well as having maintained a decent Spring Semester GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
@Kalam how do you know that they will likely not have a mandatory attendance policy next year? This is one factor that is really deterring me from attending ACOM, and I have an interview coming up at the end of February.
Same with me, the attendance is the ONLY thing holding me up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Can any of the 1st or 2nd years remind me of what the schedule looks like for an average week? What times are you in class and what days/times are the labs?

Thanks!!

Waitlisted, kinda bummed... do people actually come off of it?

+1. Do you plan on submitting a letter of continued interest or doing anything to try and improve your odds? If so, I wonder if sooner is better...

Last edited:
Hoping for some good news this week. Absolutely loved the school!

Reactions: 3 users
II yesterday! Any tips for the interview day and did anyone fly into the Dothan airport? If so how did you go about getting to your hotel/the school

I love this school interviewed February 1st.
I'm waiting for news this week.

Reactions: 1 users
Does the school provide any study aide apps like picmonic, draw it to know it, Lecturio, etc. I know they do Wolfpacc and there is access to the first aide books. Just curious if there were other resources that they provided.

II yesterday! Any tips for the interview day and did anyone fly into the Dothan airport? If so how did you go about getting to your hotel/the school

It's a tiny airport but they do have car rentals. I don't think it cost me more than $50.

Does the school provide any study aide apps like picmonic, draw it to know it, Lecturio, etc. I know they do Wolfpacc and there is access to the first aide books. Just curious if there were other resources that they provided.

Pathoma, COMBANK, and COMSAEs as far as I can remember. There’s PDFs of First Aid on our library site students can download, but they don’t have the latest edition. There’s also e-books we could use for class.

LibGuides: Board Review Resources: First Aid

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to ask me any neurotic questions you need answered about interview day. I'm an open book :)

Feel free to ask me any neurotic questions you need answered about interview day. I'm an open book :)
How did you prepare for the interview? How was your experience? What went well and what did not? Besides the usual why Medicine/DO, why ACOM, anything else we need to prepare for? Thanks for your help.

Dothan has Uber. They've only got a handful of drivers, so I wouldn't rely on it if you need to get somewhere a certain time.
But I called an Uber from the airport at like 9pm, waited 10-15 minutes and got picked up so you can use it for non time sensitive things.

How did you prepare for the interview? How was your experience? What went well and what did not? Besides the usual why Medicine/DO, why ACOM, anything else we need to prepare for? Thanks for your help.

To prepare, I mainly just tried to make sure I was organized that way I wasn't stressing out on the day of the interview. I made a list of stuff to pack and brought extra clothes because I know I'm clumsy. I reviewed the basic interview questions, but made sure I wasn't a robot when answering my interviewers. The night before I just made sure I got into Dothan early, drove around a little, and brought things that I use to relax because I knew I would be super nervous and unable to fall asleep.

My experience there was incredible, I was so impressed by the time I left the school. The only thing I could even try to say was eh was how tedious the talks were, but they had to be there because they were giving us important information about the school. I just had my second interview at a different program on Friday and this school didn't give all of the information that ACOM did, and I really wish they had. I felt like ACOM showed how the students are their priority, how they are willing to listen to their students, and how they are willing to invest in us as much as we are in them. I felt like the entire day was well planned, efficient, and everybody.. I mean everybody, was friendly.

My interviewers were beyond friendly, we made several jokes back in forth when I first walked into the room about the "mood" lighting and "lovely" weather since it was quite gloomy out. There was also a "spectator" we joked about. It really helped me feel comfortable. It really was like a conversation back and forth, and aside from the basics is when they get into your file. They like to ask about your hobbies or how you relax/balance the stress. They tried to throw me one curveball question out of my experiences with the homeless, but that was it.

Hopefully that's helpful.

Oh and bring a toothpick for lunch because the wraps get stuck in everybody's teeth haha. Also, eat a cookie, they're really good.

I need to move my Feb 22nd interview back. Anyone willing to switch that has a March 22nd interview? Thanks!

To prepare, I mainly just tried to make sure I was organized that way I wasn't stressing out on the day of the interview. I made a list of stuff to pack and brought extra clothes because I know I'm clumsy. I reviewed the basic interview questions, but made sure I wasn't a robot when answering my interviewers. The night before I just made sure I got into Dothan early, drove around a little, and brought things that I use to relax because I knew I would be super nervous and unable to fall asleep.

My experience there was incredible, I was so impressed by the time I left the school. The only thing I could even try to say was eh was how tedious the talks were, but they had to be there because they were giving us important information about the school. I just had my second interview at a different program on Friday and this school didn't give all of the information that ACOM did, and I really wish they had. I felt like ACOM showed how the students are their priority, how they are willing to listen to their students, and how they are willing to invest in us as much as we are in them. I felt like the entire day was well planned, efficient, and everybody.. I mean everybody, was friendly.

My interviewers were beyond friendly, we made several jokes back in forth when I first walked into the room about the "mood" lighting and "lovely" weather since it was quite gloomy out. There was also a "spectator" we joked about. It really helped me feel comfortable. It really was like a conversation back and forth, and aside from the basics is when they get into your file. They like to ask about your hobbies or how you relax/balance the stress. They tried to throw me one curveball question out of my experiences with the homeless, but that was it.

Hopefully that's helpful.

Oh and bring a toothpick for lunch because the wraps get stuck in everybody's teeth haha. Also, eat a cookie, they're really good.
Thank you for such a detailed response!

I also was there Feb 1st
I haven't heard anything which is freaking me out because I think he said we would hear back by tuesday
I knew we should've all just kept in contact, that way we would know when they start calling everyone. Oh well haha. Time for the neuroticism to set in.

I also was there Feb 1st
I haven't heard anything which is freaking me out because I think he said we would hear back by tuesday

This past Monday was the AOA match. They could be busy with the fourth years. And they just released the core rotation sites for the second years today.

Last edited:
Hello! Can any of the 1st or 2nd years remind me of what the schedule looks like for an average week? What times are you in class and what days/times are the labs?

Thanks!!

Yes please if anyone can post a sample first and second year schedule that would be really great!

I also was there Feb 1st
haha i keep checking my emails too just in case, but they said the admissions committee would meet on monday and then it had to g to the deans whenever they are around so id image we hear by friday earliest or next week for sure

EDIT: i looked at last years thread and the earliest i saw people hear back was 5 days which would be friday for us, so just a side note

I knew we should've all just kept in contact, that way we would know when they start calling everyone. Oh well haha. Time for the neuroticism to set in.

Guys I email mr. Willis yesterday. He said the committee had not made final decisions yet. He said they could meet yesterday late afternoon and he said he would possible call today or tomorrow to those accepted..
So there is still hope!!!!
He also said for those waitlisted or declined. For sure would be notified by e-mail within 14 days after interview

This past Monday was the AOA match. They could be busy with the fourth years. And they just released the core rotation sites for the second years today.

Guys I emailed mr. Willis yesterday. He said the committee had not made final decisions yet. He said they could meet yesterday late afternoon and he said he would possible call today or tomorrow to those accepted.. So there is still hope!!!! He also said for those waitlisted or declined. For sure would be notified by e-mail within 14 days after interview

Guys I emailed mr. Willis yesterday. He said the committee had not made final decisions yet. He said they could meet yesterday late afternoon and he said he would possible call today or tomorrow to those accepted.. So there is still hope!!!! He also said for those waitlisted or declined. For sure would be notified by e-mail within 14 days after interview
You da bomb :claps:

Missed call from Dothan! Omg trying not to freak out but I hope it means what I think it means

I just got a called that I am ACCEPTED!!
At 11:59 am EST.
For those of you who have future interviews and want to know about the time frame. I interviewed Feb 1st and got accepted Feb 7th.
I believe I sent my secondary in October and my primary in September 12. So I was a bit late in the cycle.

I'm so happy guys. I can't wait to meet my future colleagues.
Guys we are going to be doctors!!
Anyone else feels like they're going to explore of happiness???

Accepted couldn’t be happier! Good luck to everyone else applying!

Yes please if anyone can post a sample first and second year schedule that would be really great!

Not sure we are allowed to share an actual copy of our schedule, but tbh it's not as bad as I thought it would be when I started school. First semester is hell just because of Anatomy Lab taking up many hours per week. After first semester, your schedule is really pretty chill. If you utilize your 40% skips, I think on average I am in class maybe 3 hours per day (sometimes more, sometimes less), versus first semester which is probably 5 hours per day on average. In addition to that, though, is a two hour OMM lab per week, and usually one SIM lab per week (takes 1 hour).

A lot of people hear of "mandatory attendance" but don't realize that you aren't in class 8 hours per day. Some weeks/courses can be worse than others, obviously, but overall you won't be too stressed for time (except first semester!)

Thanks!!

There’s a schedule posted from last year’s thread, page 26.

Not sure we are allowed to share an actual copy of our schedule, but tbh it's not as bad as I thought it would be when I started school. First semester is hell just because of Anatomy Lab taking up many hours per week. After first semester, your schedule is really pretty chill. If you utilize your 40% skips, I think on average I am in class maybe 3 hours per day (sometimes more, sometimes less), versus first semester which is probably 5 hours per day on average. In addition to that, though, is a two hour OMM lab per week, and usually one SIM lab per week (takes 1 hour).

A lot of people hear of "mandatory attendance" but don't realize that you aren't in class 8 hours per day. Some weeks/courses can be worse than others, obviously, but overall you won't be too stressed for time (except first semester!)

Someone attached a first year schedule to the ‘17-‘18 thread, I think
There’s a schedule posted from last year’s thread, page 26.

Thank you. I was mainly curious because of my dog, I want to make sure I'll have time to be fair to him, which I think I will. I've just heard some other schools have classes from 9am to 4/5pm so I was just checking. I appreciate it!

Recently accepted! Question for current students, when does the drug test need to be completed by? I currently live in a state where it's legal.

If anyone wants to move their interview up to Feb 22nd please PM me. I would like to move mine back. Thanks!

Thank you. I was mainly curious because of my dog, I want to make sure I'll have time to be fair to him, which I think I will. I've just heard some other schools have classes from 9am to 4/5pm so I was just checking. I appreciate it!

Oo, you’ll definitely have time for your dog. I had plenty of time to play with mine. You’re not going to have class from 8am to 5pm everyday.

To any current students: how do people typically do on USMLE Step 1 and 2? I see where people have commented on how wel ACOM prepares you for them vs. COMLEX, but I was wondering about pass rates/percentiles, etc.

Interviewed 2/8 and was VERY impressed with the school. Hope to hear something soon!

Saw some people asking about this so I figured I would post again in this year's thread. This is the tentative schedule they released to our class about a month before school started for 1st semester. You will likely get your own version about a month before the start of the semester. Anatomy and OPP labs have the class split into Lab A and Lab B. Also, keep in mind that this tentative schedule doesn't show which classes are mandatory or which ones are DSAs. DSAs are basically just lectures you learn on your own time so there is no attendance required but the hour is still blocked off in your schedule.

For anyone curious about the attendance policy, I have also heard rumors that it is being lowered next year but no one has heard anything definite. And the dress code truly is simple. People get all bent out of shape because it is "business casual" but they forget that the second half is "or scrubs". I don't know about you but scrubs are better than casual dress any day of the week lol. Also, we have casual Fridays now too so as long as you are clean and aren't wearing short-shorts, you can wear what you like.

Attachments

• Tentative Fall (4).pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 182
To any current students: how do people typically do on USMLE Step 1 and 2? I see where people have commented on how wel ACOM prepares you for them vs. COMLEX, but I was wondering about pass rates/percentiles, etc.

Interviewed 2/8 and was VERY impressed with the school. Hope to hear something soon!

No idea what the average is. I’ve heard of some classmates barely passed/scored in the low 200s to some scoring 245+ on step 1.

accepted today! interviewed 2/8 and got the call 3:30 EST. Good luck to the rest in the process and if anyone has an upcoming interview feel free to PM me for any questions !!

I just got a called that I am ACCEPTED!!

At 11:59 am EST.

For those of you who have future interviews and want to know about the time frame. I interviewed Feb 1st and got accepted Feb 7th.

I believe I sent my secondary in October and my primary in September 12. So I was a bit late in the cycle.

I'm so happy guys. I can't wait to meet my future colleagues.

Guys we are going to be doctors!!

Anyone else feels like they're going to explore of happiness???

ACCEPTED!!!!!

Accepted couldn’t be happier! Good luck to everyone else applying!

ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed Feb 1 also! Wanted to say hi/ congrats to you guys!

Any first-years willing to answer a few questions I have about ACOM?