2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with Mr. Willis last week. He said all seats were filled but was expecting drops. He said he will have better waitlist info for waitlister by June 15th. Not sure if anyone received anything yet.

Members don't see this ad.

In the event of someone being taken off of the waitlist, what are some things you can do preemptively to better prepare for matriculating?

I spoke with Mr. Willis last week. He said all seats were filled but was expecting drops. He said he will have better waitlist info for waitlister by June 15th. Not sure if anyone received anything yet.
I received the same information as you did last week

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people in the GroupMe chat: Were any students added during the periods you started noticing the drops? I wonder if the amount of drops are still less than the amount the school over accepts which is why movement still hasn't occurred:(
No, the amount of people added to the group me is definitely not proportional to the amount who are leaving it! Hopefully movement will start soon!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be speaking to Mr.Willis today, if there are any questions you guys want answers to, I can ask him on the phone today and share his response.

I knew the answer from previously post, however I still want to confirm if re apply will effect the decision of WL pulling this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew the answer from previously post, however I still want to confirm if re apply will effect the decision of WL pulling this cycle.
I asked him that last week and he said it will not have any effect at all

Today Mr. Willis and I spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes and I was able to ask him a variety of questions about the waitlist.

Answers will be paraphrased but still get across the main idea.

Question: What is the status of the waitlist?

Answer: Currently, all seats are filled for the class. Based off of previous years, we are expecting 5-8 more drops between now and the day of classes beginning. The rank list has been ranked and the admissions committee has given the dean their recommendations of who to take off the waitlist. The dean may reference these when the time comes. I recommend students to go ahead and submit a reapplication for the next cycle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: What can student's do to best be prepared if they are taken off of the waitlist late in the cycle?

Answers: Student's should make sure to have the required deposit available if the time comes; this will be due in 7 days from the offer. (2000$) As for the housing, with drops, apartments will open up because odds are if someone had a deposit with us then they will have a deposit with the apartments. Start looking at available housing in the area and also look into the class of 2023 facebook page to see if any students will need a roommate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: and what about for financial aid? Will this still be available?

Answer: Yes, these things are done online and require barely anytime to be processed and completed. ( My thought from his response: I don't think this is something that ACOM stresses you have done before school starts) We have an excellent financial aid office that can help you through the process.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: If a student is taken off of the waitlist later in the cycle, but can not accept the seat due to either financial constraint or other obligations, is this something that is looked at negatively by ACOM?

Answer: No, we understand that moving with only a few weeks notice is difficult for some students to do and we will definitely take that into consideration. If a student does not think that can make the arrangements within the time between the offer and school starting, we would much rather they be honest about it. ( My own thoughts: I would discuss this in regards to your own personal situation and reasoning; maybe arrangements could be made with the dean for special cases)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Does applying for the next cycle have any influence over the waitlist for this cycle?

Answer: No.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this clears up a lot for those on the waitlist. He is also pretty responsive to emails and is super busy these days. Especially since they are wrapping up this cycle and starting to get applications in for the next cycle already.

Reactions: 3 users
Today Mr. Willis and I spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes and I was able to ask him a variety of questions about the waitlist.

Answers will be paraphrased but still get across the main idea.

Question: What is the status of the waitlist?

Answer: Currently, all seats are filled for the class. Based off of previous years, we are expecting 5-8 more drops between now and the day of classes beginning. The rank list has been ranked and the admissions committee has given the dean their recommendations of who to take off the waitlist. The dean may reference these when the time comes. I recommend students to go ahead and submit a reapplication for the next cycle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: What can student's do to best be prepared if they are taken off of the waitlist late in the cycle?

Answers: Student's should make sure to have the required deposit available if the time comes; this will be due in 7 days from the offer. (2000$) As for the housing, with drops, apartments will open up because odds are if someone had a deposit with us then they will have a deposit with the apartments. Start looking at available housing in the area and also look into the class of 2023 facebook page to see if any students will need a roommate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: and what about for financial aid? Will this still be available?

Answer: Yes, these things are done online and require barely anytime to be processed and completed. ( My thought from his response: I don't think this is something that ACOM stresses you have done before school starts) We have an excellent financial aid office that can help you through the process.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: If a student is taken off of the waitlist later in the cycle, but can not accept the seat due to either financial constraint or other obligations, is this something that is looked at negatively by ACOM?

Answer: No, we understand that moving with only a few weeks notice is difficult for some students to do and we will definitely take that into consideration. If a student does not think that can make the arrangements within the time between the offer and school starting, we would much rather they be honest about it. ( My own thoughts: I would discuss this in regards to your own personal situation and reasoning; maybe arrangements could be made with the dean for special cases)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Does applying for the next cycle have any influence over the waitlist for this cycle?

Answer: No.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this clears up a lot for those on the waitlist. He is also pretty responsive to emails and is super busy these days. Especially since they are wrapping up this cycle and starting to get applications in for the next cycle already.

Thank you so much for this, sad to hear that they only have a few potential spots left, guess my chance is low since I applied super late with just average stats

Thank you so much for this, sad to hear that they only have a few potential spots left, guess my chance is low since I applied super late with just average stats
Don't dwell on it too much, work on your weaknesses and reapply for next round. This time, just a little sooner. lol. You'll get it.

Pretty crazy how no one from this thread was accepted off the waitlist when they generally have a lot of people lifted off the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling there will be a tsunami of waitlist acceptances in mid-July. With the new AAMC traffic rules, it seems that the movement we normally expect in April/May will happen closer to CTE deadlines and a lot of those are in July. Bob said that the 5-8 withdrawal estimation was based off previous years but this year is totally different with the new traffic rules. 5-8 is huge underestimation, I think. I have zero proof, it’s just what I think.

I have a feeling there will be a tsunami of waitlist acceptances in mid-July. With the new AAMC traffic rules, it seems that the movement we normally expect in April/May will happen closer to CTE deadlines and a lot of those are in July. Bob said that the 5-8 withdrawal estimation was based off previous years but this year is totally different with the new traffic rules. 5-8 is huge underestimation, I think. I have zero proof, it’s just what I think.

I feel the same way but Bobs recent responses are freaking me out a tad.

I feel the same way but Bobs recent responses are freaking me out a tad.

Have faith and keep that $2000 close by. I have a feeling July is going to be 100% bananas. MD applicants who would normally hold just one acceptance at this point are still holding on to multiple acceptances. When those CTE deadlines hit and those applicants start to give up seats and withdraw from waitlists, that mouse trap/ping pong ball thing that Dr Lenz always talks about is gong to happen but it will be much much later than normal. I wonder how closely DO adcoms are tracking the new AAMC rules and if they are prepared for the affect it will have on the DO admissions process.

Have faith and keep that $2000 close by. I have a feeling July is going to be 100% bananas. MD applicants who would normally hold just one acceptance at this point are still holding on to multiple acceptances. When those CTE deadlines hit and those applicants start to give up seats and withdraw from waitlists, that mouse trap/ping pong ball thing that Dr Lenz always talks about is gong to happen but it will be much much later than normal. I wonder how closely DO adcoms are tracking the new AAMC rules and if they are prepared for the affect it will have on the DO admissions process.

extra emphasis on keeping that $2000 close by.

In regards to the housing I would suggest reaching out to apartments nearby and maybe fill out an application just in case. Application fees are $10-25.

Student housing is full with a waitlist at this point.

With three weeks before orientation I'm getting pretty anxious. Any word from anyone

Last edited:
With three weeks before orientation I'm getting pretty anxious. Any word from anyone or should I just give up
I’m on the same boat as you, planing to study MCAT for the next cycle then reapply

No my undergrad takes about 8 weeks to spit out a committee letter, if I didn’t notify them by March, which I didn’t, I’m pretty much too late for this cycle. Gonna improve my mcat this cycle instead of reapplying

Idk if allowed to share links for MCAT prep and stuff, but why not!

Some go to sites for mcat studying:

Chem/Phys: kaplan books, youtube videos, and the uworld mcat qbank
Cars: Jack westin and khan academy
bio/biochem: kaplan, mcat-review.org, youtube, and uworld qbank
psych/soc: kaplan flashcards, uworld q bank, and mcat-review.org '

Best of luck to you man, I hope you get the score you are looking for!

No my undergrad takes about 8 weeks to spit out a committee letter, if I didn’t notify them by March, which I didn’t, I’m pretty much too late for this cycle. Gonna improve my mcat this cycle instead of reapplying

I mean, you have time. I applied December and still got in.

Does anyone know how tentative the white coat ceremony date is? I'm trying to organize flights for my sweet grand parents :)

Does anyone know how tentative the white coat ceremony date is? I'm trying to organize flights for my sweet grand parents :)

They probably already have it booked since they have to book in advanced the location and photographers.

Anyone know what the dress code is like? They say business casual/scrubs, so are scrub bottoms with a t-shirt fine? What about slacks and a polo?

Anyone know what the dress code is like? They say business casual/scrubs, so are scrub bottoms with a t-shirt fine? What about slacks and a polo?

Scrubs and a t shirt is a no - they got angry earlier this year about the dress code (sigh)

Slacks and a polo yes.

Essentially full scrubs or business casual.

Just withdrew my acceptance and apartment from Summerfield Square. Best of luck to y'all

Reactions: 4 users
Could any of the current students inform me on what the proper dress code for orientation week is. Should we dress business casual or in scrubs like regular lecture days? Thanks so much.

Could any of the current students inform me on what the proper dress code for orientation week is. Should we dress business casual or in scrubs like regular lecture days? Thanks so much.

Business causal for most of orientation week.

Has anyone heard of recent waitlist movement? For people in the GroupMe, are you still getting people who are dropping?

I got accepted at two other schools but ACOM is just where I really want to be

I’m in the same boat and even have a big scholarship at one. Idk this is such a hard mental game.

I am absolutely blown A-WAY that not a soul on this thread has been taken off the waitlist......either that or they just haven’t reported it. The new AAMC traffic rules must of really did a number on this cycle....and not exactly a positive one.

Last edited:
I am absolutely blown A-WAY that not a soul on this thread has been taken off the waitlist......either that or they just haven’t reported it.
I am, too! I wonder if anyone has been pulled at all? Everything seems to be running at slow motion...I'm stressing out about the date

I am, too! I wonder if anyone has been pulled at all? Everything seems to be running at slow motion...I'm stressing out about the date
I know! Because orientation is like ...what...10 days away ? Lol....I wonder if the 4-5 students that they informed me were next off the waitlist actually took the offer.

I know! Because orientation is like ...what...10 days away ? Lol....I wonder if the 4-5 students that they informed me were next off the waitlist actually took the offer.
Did he tell you there are absolutely 4-5 students they're pulling or that he thinks there might be? Last I spoke with him, he said they had 4-5 come off in July last year but he's unsure this year. Ugh I'm so frustrated

Did he tell you there are absolutely 4-5 students they're pulling or that he thinks there might be? Last I spoke with him, he said they had 4-5 come off in July last year but he's unsure this year. Ugh I'm so frustrated
I can relate ! And it sounded like a for sure thing....he phrased it as if they had seats that were open and those were the next ones they were going to call and offer them to

I spoke with his two weeks ago and he said a few people dropped and they are reviewing the waitlist to see who to accept off it. I emailed him yesterday and he said the class was full and that some people may still drop before orientation. But, from what he said, it sounds like people are being lifted from the waitlist. I guess none of them are on this thread or are not reporting it back to the thread.

I can relate ! And it sounded like a for sure thing....he phrased it as if they had seats that were open and those were the next ones they were going to call and offer them to
Oh my God this isn't making any sense! Man, I really hope we can get some of those spots. This is getting crazy tbh. I just tried calling him and no answer. When did you speak with him?

Oh my God this isn't making any sense! Man, I really hope we can get some of those spots. This is getting crazy tbh. I just tried calling him and no answer. When did you speak with him?
I spoke with him in June around the 15th when they said they would have a better idea of the situation concerning their waitlist so I’m sure a little has changed since then....or maybe not because that’s what it seems like lol

This is probably a dumb question, but if you get an email saying “The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview later in the cycle.” Is that an interview invite hold ?

This is probably a dumb question, but if you get an email saying “The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time. Your application will remain active and you could be selected for an interview later in the cycle.” Is that an interview invite hold ?

Yes, interview invite hold.

I have an interview at ACOM on Aug 23, 2019. I would love to stay with a student host if possible. If there's an incoming female student here that would be willing to host me, please PM me!