2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m driving from Birmingham on September 20th and coming back on the 22nd if anyone needs a ride.

Members don't see this ad.

II today for October 5th!!! It took an extra day, but spoke it into existence

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today as well.

Congrats to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Well, I was waitlisted.... again. I really love this school, but this is getting discouraging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is interviewing Oct 26 late in the cycle for ACOM?

1 week. Interview Friday, August 3rd. Accepted Friday, August 10th.
Wow, what a turn around! Again, congratulations! Must be so exciting to already have an acceptance so early in the cycle!! :D
I interview next month... fingers crossed lol

II Oct 26, feeling blessed and grateful. Are there any student hosts for housing? Any ideas from previous interviewee's?

II Oct 26, feeling blessed and grateful. Are there any student hosts for housing? Any ideas from previous interviewee's?

Check the air bnb website. I saw a few students hosting. Most interviewees stay at the Comfort Inn near school since it’s the closest and they have a shuttle running from the hotel to the school on interview day.

Interviewed Aug 3rd, got waitlisted for acceptance Aug 15th :nod:

Interviewed August 10 and ACCEPTED today! So pumped, what an amazing school : )

Reactions: 9 users
ACCEPTED!!!!.... and i thought i had tanked my interview tbh lol. Congrats to my fellow accepted homies!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to all of you. Does attending the optional meet and greet the previous day make any difference with your selection?

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!! :D

Interviewed Friday, August 10th
Accepted Wednesday, August 15th

Also, it was great meeting all of you guys who interviewed on Aug 10th. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I would also not recommend staying in GuestHouse Inn. After driving late into Dothan from ATL the night before the interview, I go in to take a shower and have the shower head fly off as soon as I turned on the water. It almost hit my head!

Keep your head. Don't stay there.

Interviewing this week. Can any of the people accepted shed some insight into interview day?

Interviewing this week. Can any of the people accepted shed some insight into interview day?

Interviews at the beginning of the day. 2 on 1 for 30 minutes. Rest of the day is basically their presentation on why you should choose their school. Their campus looks great.

Interviews at the beginning of the day. 2 on 1 for 30 minutes. Rest of the day is basically their presentation on why you should choose their school. Their campus looks great.

Pretty straight forward interview questions? Did you feel like it was more conversational and relaxed? Like they were prying you or “grilling” you to see how you’d respond? Etc..

Pretty straight forward interview questions? Did you feel like it was more conversational and relaxed? Like they were prying you or “grilling” you to see how you’d respond? Etc..

The interview questions are straightforward. They tell you over there that it's meant to be relaxed and conversational because they're just asking you to elaborate on the highlights on your apps. That's what the interview really is. I thought I tanked my interview because I should have foreseen them asking the 'why medicine' and 'why acom' questions, but I didn't prepare how to answer those questions exactly. So, I basically just tried answering the questions as best I could and I somehow still got in even though I felt awful afterwards. I think part of it also is about maintaining your composure and answer as confidently as possible if they do throw you a curveball question.

I would also not recommend staying in GuestHouse Inn. After driving late into Dothan from ATL the night before the interview, I go in to take a shower and have the shower head fly off as soon as I turned on the water. It almost hit my head!

Keep your head. Don't stay there.

Hahah glad you still have your head.

How was the drive from ATL? Ill be flying in and driving as well.

Where are most of you guys flying into? Flying to Dothan is so expensive!!

Where are most of you guys flying into? Flying to Dothan is so expensive!!

If I fly, it will be from Ohare to either Dothan, Birmingham, or Montgomery. Dothan is super expensive compared to Birmingham.
Not sure if there is a bus from B to D and back. Need to look into this a bit more. It’s a 4 hour drive from B to D.

I am considering driving, haha. It’s 12 hours but I would save a ton. I did the math and it would be under 175 in gas round trip so it’s very appealing.

Last edited:
Did everyone indent the paragraphs on their essays?

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any current students on here? I was just wondering about life in Dothan? Is it safe? Does it have a serious "small town" feel? I love ACOM but alabama... not so much.

Are there any current students on here? I was just wondering about life in Dothan? Is it safe? Does it have a serious "small town" feel? I love ACOM but alabama... not so much.

There isn’t much to do in Dothan if you’re younger. There’s a lot of churches if you want to get involved or connect with the community. Food scene and nightlife isn’t that happening.

I felt like I was always safe in Dothan, especially living at Summerfield. I come from the suburbs of a big city, and to me, Dothan did not have that small town feel. It’s a step below suburbs, but a step above rural. I’ve done rotations in some really rural places, where there’s no nearby Walmart or Target and lots of empty woodsy area - like surrounded by cornfields vibe and you wouldn’t want your car to break down in that area vibe. But Dothan isn’t like that and has all your basic necessities. Plus, the beach is 90 miles away if you need a little weekend getaway.

There isn’t much to do in Dothan if you’re younger. There’s a lot of churches if you want to get involved or connect with the community. Food scene and nightlife isn’t that happening.

I felt like I was always safe in Dothan, especially living at Summerfield. I come from the suburbs of a big city, and to me, Dothan did not have that small town feel. It’s a step below suburbs, but a step above rural. I’ve done rotations in some really rural places, where there’s no nearby Walmart or Target and lots of empty woodsy area - like surrounded by cornfields vibe and you wouldn’t want your car to break down in that area vibe. But Dothan isn’t like that and has all your basic necessities. Plus, the beach is 90 miles away if you need a little weekend getaway.
That honestly makes me feel so much better. I've always either lived in a suburb of a big city, or close enough to a big city that I could be there in under an hour if I ever needed to, so being at least 2 hours away from any city is so foreign to me. I guess its better that there isn't much to do so that I'll have less distractions when I need to study lol!

Reactions: 1 users
That honestly makes me feel so much better. I've always either lived in a suburb of a big city, or close enough to a big city that I could be there in under an hour if I ever needed to, so being at least 2 hours away from any city is so foreign to me. I guess its better that there isn't much to do so that I'll have less distractions when I need to study lol!

That was my reasoning too, not much distractions for when you need to study. Plus, it’s only for the first two years. You can select bigger cities for your 3rd year, and if you schedule your rotations right, you can do all your 4th year back at home, or wherever you want.

pre II hold... Anyone know the likelihood of being interviewed later on?