2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know why AMC is unranked on US news best medical schools list? Seems like they should be ranked as they are one of the oldest schools
I’ve been told by admissions we are unranked because our grading system is EH/E/G/M/U instead of P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Golly gee would I like some UC movement right about now lol. But it looks like the first movement after early March wasn't until April 10th last year, and May 1st the year before that :((((

Yep. Not fun having to start writing a reapplication while sitting on UC :dead:

Has anyone from the 2/25 interview heard anything yet? I remember they said 4 weeks (technically 4-6 but she said to expect 4) and it's >5 now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 2/25 interview heard anything yet? I remember they said 4 weeks (technically 4-6 but she said to expect 4) and it's >5 now.

Looks like they are putting everyone from 2/25 to UC.

Did you see any acceptance from 2/25 or later dates’ interviews?
No but that doesn’t mean everyone who interviewed that day is on waitlist. They might still be reviewing that applications.

Does anyone know if your rank can change? Like if someone interviewed after you and they liked them more, would your rank get bumped down?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if your rank can change? Like if someone interviewed after you and they liked them more, would your rank get bumped down?
We kind of have to assume that's how the ranking works. They made it clear on interview day that they wanted all applicants to have a fair shot regardless of when they interviewed, so if someone interviews later but scores higher, it only makes sense that we would get bumped down on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
We kind of have to assume that's how the ranking works. They made it clear on interview day that they wanted all applicants to have a fair shot regardless of when they interviewed, so if someone interviews later but scores higher, it only makes sense that we would get bumped down on the list.

Yeah I guess that would make sense.

Last edited:
Withdrew yesterday. Good luck to everyone -- I did really like the school. Hope one of you grabs that acceptance in time to make it to second look day.

Has anyone heard back from amc about student hosts for the second look day? I called a week and a half ago and they said they would be sending an email out last week but I have still yet to hear something. Kinda don't want to book a hotel but if I need to, I want to do so with time :lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from amc about student hosts for the second look day? I called a week and a half ago and they said they would be sending an email out last week but I have still yet to hear something. Kinda don't want to book a hotel but if I need to, I want to do so with time :lame:
Hey. Just chatted with admissions since they haven’t told the hostees about it either. The woman in charge is out of the office today but should be in touch with y’all early this week.

Has anyone who interviewed in the beginning of March heard back yet? Getting to the 5 week mark now... :unsure:

I also interviewed on March 5th. Nothing yet. I thought we would hear from them last week. I hope that there are still seats left. It’s the last school that I’m waiting for and I would really like to go here.

I also interviewed on March 5th. Nothing yet. I thought we would hear from them last week. I hope that there are still seats left. It’s the last school that I’m waiting for and I would really like to go here.
as far as I know the people from 2/25 (myself included) haven't heard anything yet either

does writing a letter of interest help when you're on the waitlist?

Attachments

• 1DE3F8B1-C786-4997-86B3-AC54652A3BB1.jpeg
    1DE3F8B1-C786-4997-86B3-AC54652A3BB1.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 158
Well this (April 10th) was the first day of UC movement after interview season last year (although this year might be more likely to wait until April 15th and/or 30th I guess). Here's hoping!!
Hear Hear! :claps:

Is this school still operating? Like are they still in business because they’ve been real quiet.

Do they usually give decisions for people who have interviewed before they start UC list movement? I still haven’t heard back yet

I imagine a school like Albany offers acceptances to students who have multiple options. Students are probably sitting on waitlists for other schools they're hopeful for and are not yet ready to commit to Albany. Therefore, we probably won't hear much movement until after 4/30 decision date for those not yet committed

Last edited:
Is this school still operating? Like are they still in business because they’ve been real quiet.

Of they're operating alright. They are slowly surgically removing any hope of getting into med school this year :p

Today was second look day, so admissions has been focusing on getting that together.

Reactions: 3 users
online it says albany doesn't accept any updates post interview; how do people they accept grade updates/ can we send them via email?

MSAR showed only 9 acceptances off the waitlist :confused:

Saw that today too lol. Is there some loophole with the phrasing between “waitlist” and “under consideration” lists?

Seems unlikely that the school would be able to accurately foresee which 100 people would commit to Albany or only have one acceptance based on how many people they interviewed

Uncertain and waitlist are different things. In years past the waitlist has been a smaller group of individuals on hold after June 1

Is anybody still waiting to hear anything? Like I submitted my secondary in August, but they just downloaded my letters of recommendation yesterday... I assume at this point Im not going to get an interview because its so late, but I think its weird that I haven't heard anything from them yet! Anyone else experience this?
AMC status.jpg

So what exactly is UC?

UC list is "Under Consideration". It's not a waitlist per se, even though it functions much like one. In years past their method was every month or so to accept the top 10% on the ranked UC list, then reject the bottom 10%. That doesn't appear to be happening this year, so I suppose at the end of April they'll accept a top % of the UC list to fill up the class. After that, some will officially go into a smaller pool known as the "Waitlist" while everyone else still on that UC list will get an R. Around the end of May/June, the Waitlist will thin out even more as some people (6-9 in years past) will be accepted and some go into a smaller "Alternate list", the rest rejected. The alternate list gets rejected around august if a spot doesn't open (spots very rarely open up at this point ~1-2 maybe).

Is anybody still waiting to hear anything? Like I submitted my secondary in August, but they just downloaded my letters of recommendation yesterday... I assume at this point Im not going to get an interview because its so late, but I think its weird that I haven't heard anything from them yet! Anyone else experience this?View attachment 258458
I think they finished interviews a few weeks ago already

I think they finished interviews a few weeks ago already
Yes, I know that as my friend is a current student, but I am confused as to why they have re-downloaded my LOR and why I haven't gotten my rejection at this point...

I never understood why some schools don’t send out rejections once interveiw season is over (AMC being one of them).

Probably because it would require some software re-programming that they do not want to invest in, perhaps?

I never understood why some schools don’t send out rejections once interveiw season is over (AMC being one of them).

Probably because it would require some software re-programming that they do not want to invest in, perhaps?
Would it be inappropriate to email them for an update? I really just want to know!

Is anybody still waiting to hear anything? Like I submitted my secondary in August, but they just downloaded my letters of recommendation yesterday... I assume at this point Im not going to get an interview because its so late, but I think its weird that I haven't heard anything from them yet! Anyone else experience this?

Still waiting to hear myself. Weirdly, they downloaded my LOR in mid-March, despite my file being complete in October. Not a peep, just "Please be patient. We will notify you by e-mail of the outcome of the screening process." o_O

At this point I know the answer, of course. Thankfully I'm accepted elsewhere, so I can at least get some amusement out of this...:rofl:

Question for anyone who goes here and/or has lived in Albany--it seems that flights are like super expensive in and out of Albany airport, with very few non-stops. Like, I'd be paying 6-800 total for a 12 hour trip to get to SJC or SFO when including layovers, at the very best. Maybe I'm spoiled but does anyone know of any cheaper ways to travel between the coast, particularly nonstops?

I mean, if I get in here I'll attend no matter what, but it'd be nice to know if there is any way to travel home for cheaper during breaks and stuff :)
The cheaper ways are to either drive or take a bus to Boston or NY and then to take flights from those cities. However, there is hastle in doing those methods too.

Just got my official rejection:

They actually said this:

"We suggest that you carefully evaluation your credentials with the assistance of your premedical advisor. In addition you may wish to refer to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Website.

After obtaining advice from your premedical advisor and self evaluation, you may be able to identify the areas of your application that need improvement. The next step is to strengthen these areas and re-apply."

Literally the most condescending rejection email I've gotten. Meanwhile I'm sitting over here with a 3.98 (entering average 3.6) GPA, 4.0 science GPA, and a 506 MCAT (entering average 510). Plus three years of clinical volunteering, shadowing, and work experience. I don't care that I was rejected... Ive already gotten into a great program, but I just don't understand how they can be so condescending. Instead of saying we wish you luck in your future endeavors like all the other schools this is what they say! Mind blowing!