2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I don't think this is bad! In the email it says applicants for current and future vacancies will be pulled from this list (and that the class still isn't full).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah interesting phrasing:

"As of today, seats are still available for the fall class." (Underlined in the e-mail)

More than likely there will be more than 9 people pulled from alternate list

Maybe they will give a few more acceptances to late interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if last year's alternate list email had similar wording? When they sent the email last year, did it say there were still open seats?

Let's hope so! My initial reaction was pretty kneejerk lol, this is likely to be the case.

Yeah I don't think this is bad! In the email it says applicants for current and future vacancies will be pulled from this list (and that the class still isn't full).

Plus they want the form filled out by this Wednesday at 4pm, so I'm thinking once this April 30th deadline passes they'll start pulling from the alternate list by the handful (aka more than 9 people total)... best of luck to everyone, this has been quite the ride lol

Also got the alternate list email and can't access the form.

Does anyone know if they tell you what position you're in on the alternate list? I know they didn't for the UC.

Wait, I think the new traffic rules had a role in this. I don't think this alternate list situation is the same as the previous years. It seems like not many got off UC and they even said there are still spots available. Anyone else thinking this is the case?
Your analogy seems to be meaningful.

Reactions: 1 users
I was on the UC list and not yet put on alternate's? Do they send out emails at different times?

I was on the UC list and not yet put on alternate's? Do they send out emails at different times?
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on and my heart rate just skyrocketed haha, I have no idea what this means for us

Members don't see this ad :)
alternate listed

in my opinion, i feel certain that this is just being done differently than in past years because of the traffic rules. asking us to respond to being on the list will help them to narrow risk even further.

for everyone who submitted, are you still able to submit the form again if you try ? i wish it said i submitted so i know it went through lol

The alternate list is a condensed version of the under consideration list. In May, a select number of applicants from the under consideration list will receive an Alternate List Response form asking if they are still interested in being considered for admission. These applicants will be considered for the alternate list based on rank. Those that respond "yes" to the Alternate Response Form will remain eligible for acceptance as we continue to fill any open seats in the summer months. Those who do not respond or elect not to be considered will be withdrawn. Those that are not invited will be notified by e-mail that they are no longer being considered.
Please note: Not all applicants that are in the under consideration status will be invited to be on the alternate list.

Alternate as well. Can anyone clarify what this means again? Is this the real waitlist or something else?

So seems like the flow chart is something like this:

1. Under consideration list --> 2. Alternate List with internal rankings --> 3. 4/30 Committed to attend decisions from students 4. --> Students committing elsewhere will be replaced 1-by-1 from Alternate list ranking (based on Yes/No response)

Heavy movement likely to occur after the 5/2 deadline to respond to Alternate List form

Reactions: 4 users
so if no email by today about alternate list, UC people will just have to wait for a rejection email?

So seems like the flow chart is something like this:

1. Under consideration list --> 2. Alternate List with internal rankings --> 3. 4/30 Committed to attend decisions from students 4. --> Students committing elsewhere will be replaced 1-by-1 from Alternate list ranking (based on Yes/No response)

Heavy movement likely to occur after the 5/2 deadline to respond to Alternate List form
Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking!

so if no email by today about alternate list, UC people will just have to wait for a rejection email?

They probably will see if they get enough 'Yes' responses first and see how initial movement goes. Also possible that Alternate List e-mails could be going out at different times

Also: People can take their name off commit to attend Albany if they get off the waitlists of other schools. Their only requirement is to set the "commit to attend" option to one school after 4/30. True final decision is the payment of tuition

Best of luck all!

Also got the alternate list email (hadn’t heard back up until this point/was never put on the UC list)

Anyone having the issue that they can submit the alternate list form multiple times?

Anyone having the issue that they can submit the alternate list form multiple times?

I think that's just the nature of Albany's online portal. If you click on it after submitting and your info is already populated then I think you're good

Last edited:
Alternate list as well. To be honest, I kind of wanted to go to this school, but I can’t wait anymore. As time moved on, I realized that I’m satisfied with my other option. I’ll be Pulling out. (I was definitely at the top of the list, so maybe one of youse will replace me— just kidding haha..)

Good luck, unfollowing,

Jade

Wait, I think the new traffic rules had a role in this. I don't think this alternate list situation is the same as the previous years. It seems like not many got off UC and they even said there are still spots available. Anyone else thinking this is the case?

Judging by a quick look at the 16-17 and 17-18 SDN threads, the alternate list historically formed AFTER traffic day (May 1st); it looks like the AL formed earlier last year compared to the year before, but it was still a bit after traffic day.

Since AMC created the alternate list BEFORE traffic day this year, it probably means they will pull from the alternate list for traffic movement - whereas it looks like (and once again, this is just from a quick look at prior SDN threads) post-traffic day movement during the first 1-2 weeks of May in prior years came from the UC list as the alternate list had not even formed yet.

So I think this just means they're treating the alternate list different this year - probably to weed out people that are already not interested before traffic day, as other people have already pointed out. I think this also means you should probably disregard whatever stats the MSAR has for AMC's "alternate list" since it looks like it's functioning differently this year seeing as it formed pre-May. So that's all good news, I think.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about and this is pure speculation based on SDN posts from prior years; I was, however, on 3 waitlists last year (all to no avail) so I understand the agony of WL-uncertainty and I'm hoping as many of you get in as possible :xf:

The alternate list is a condensed version of the under consideration list. In May, a select number of applicants from the under consideration list will receive an Alternate List Response form asking if they are still interested in being considered for admission. These applicants will be considered for the alternate list based on rank. Those that respond "yes" to the Alternate Response Form will remain eligible for acceptance as we continue to fill any open seats in the summer months. Those who do not respond or elect not to be considered will be withdrawn. Those that are not invited will be notified by e-mail that they are no longer being considered.
Please note: Not all applicants that are in the under consideration status will be invited to be on the alternate list.
Are you affiliated with AMC?

Judging by a quick look at the 16-17 and 17-18 SDN threads, the alternate list historically formed AFTER traffic day (May 1st); it looks like the AL formed earlier last year compared to the year before, but it was still a bit after traffic day.

Since AMC created the alternate list BEFORE traffic day this year, it probably means they will pull from the alternate list for traffic movement - whereas it looks like (and once again, this is just from a quick look at prior SDN threads) post-traffic day movement during the first 1-2 weeks of May in prior years came from the UC list as the alternate list had not even formed yet.

So I think this just means they're treating the alternate list different this year - probably to weed out people that are already not interested before traffic day, as other people have already pointed out. I think this also means you should probably disregard whatever stats the MSAR has for AMC's "alternate list" since it looks like it's functioning differently this year seeing as it formed pre-May. So that's all good news, I think.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about and this is pure speculation based on SDN posts from prior years; I was, however, on 3 waitlists last year (all to no avail) so I understand the agony of WL-uncertainty and I'm hoping as many of you get in as possible :xf:
Thank you for this! Makes total sense logically

Withdrew my spot. Contemplated this school vs another school for a few months. In the end, I felt the other school was a better fit for me. One more spot open for someone now!

Reactions: 5 users
How do I withdraw? Just email admissions? They never responded to my withdraw email - is this fine?

Just got a confirmation email that my "yes" response to the alternate list form has been recorded. Nice to have that piece of mind!

Just now rejected from the UC list

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear that--I really hope your other waitlist works out!!!
Thank you! Hope you get this acceptance from Albany! Can’t wait for all your new memes on Reddit haha

Reactions: 2 users
Reluctantly withdrawing today. Best of luck to everyone waiting on an acceptance, your time will come. Albany seems like a fantastic school and I enjoyed speaking with the current students I met during second look day. Bunch of new apartments that are about 2 minutes from campus too. Finances are unfortunately a pretty significant factor for me so couldn't pull the trigger. Valar Dohaeris.

Reactions: 5 users
On the portal it seems the deadline has changed from May 2nd to May 3rd, which was also different than the date in the email which say May 1st.
Everybody else is seeing the deadline as May 3rd, right?

Got accepted off the alternate list ;D FIRST MD ACCEPTANCE!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
ACCEPTED OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST! My first A! I'm going to be a doctor!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Accepted off the Alternate List after being UC’d on 3/1/19. And yes, the acceptance was sent via email...

But OMG first MD/med school acceptance of the cycle after applying late october. Feel blessed. This is just a testament to never give up

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off the Alternate List after being UC’d on 3/1/19. And yes, the acceptance was sent via email...

But OMG first MD/med school acceptance of the cycle after applying late october. Feel blessed. This is just a testament to never give up

congrats. did you just get accepted ?

do you mind sharing stats + everyone else who just got in too?

Congrats to those accepted. That was certainly a quick turnaround between AL and acceptance for the above posters. I wonder when we can expect to see more movement.

congrats. did you just get accepted ?

do you mind sharing stats + everyone else who just got in too?

3.5/514, ORM from California :) Had several publications, lots of leadership, decent level of clinical experience, and strong non-academic EC's

anyone else get the email about a background check for the alternate list? albany also shows up under 'choose your medical school' for alternate list peeps I guess