2018-2019 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I m on the alternate list as well and do not have the background check email or the choose your medical school tool.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Holy cow! You're right! I called up the office and I was apparently sent an acceptance email last night that I never actually received. They resent it and it still doesn't feel real!!

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Holy cow! You're right! I called up the office and I was apparently sent an acceptance email last night that I never actually received. They resent it and it still doesn't feel real!!
That's awesome! Just curious though, wouldn't your portal change too if you got accepted (even if you did not receive the email they sent)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I checked my portal this morning after your comments and it didn't change beyond "Alternate Response", called the office and once they resent the acceptance email my portal changed. My only indication was getting an email for a background check and checking on AMCAS for the "Choose your medical school" tab

Heads up they only give 3 days to make a decision after the acceptance. That’s too quick for me to get financial aid information so I’m gonna play it safe and stick with the school I have. Hope this acceptance goes to someone!!

Remember that it may be no movement reported here, but there might have been a little movement that is not reported here.

This is going to be a potentially stupid question, but I need help! I was accepted here but am still on the waitlist for another school. If I fill out all the forms on the Albany site and send the deposit, I'm only holding my spot and not committed right? Meaning I can withdraw my acceptance should I come off the waitlist at the other school.

This is going to be a potentially stupid question, but I need help! I was accepted here but am still on the waitlist for another school. If I fill out all the forms on the Albany site and send the deposit, I'm only holding my spot and not committed right? Meaning I can withdraw my acceptance should I come off the waitlist at the other school.
Yes. But you can only hold 1 acceptance.

accepted last week! so...where do I find this official facebook group?

Yeah, you can withdraw your Albany acceptance right after you get accepted to another school.

Was accepted here last week!! Does anyone know when classes start or how to find information regarding the academic calendar on the AMC webpage?

Was accepted here last week!! Does anyone know when classes start or how to find information regarding the academic calendar on the AMC webpage?

Orientation is August 5th, and I don’t think the academic calendar has been posted yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can confirm Aug 5th is start of orientation Aug 12th is when classes start. They announced it at orientation. There is also a theme schedule that was announced then but I don’t have a copy of it.

Does anyone think it's worth calling them to see if they're at capacity yet? Or would they not disclose that info.

Lmao I was considering it (I wanted to ask them something along the lines of how many spots are left, what's the approximate % chance of getting in from alternate, etc etc) but I was too scared to...but if you are brave enough to do it please tell us the results!! xD

It's been done very differently this year than in previous years. In previous years, during early may they'll take a small wave of 7-9 people off the UC list, then send out the alternate list late may. This year they sent the alternate list at the end of April. Previous years they would then pull another 1-3 more off the alternate list in June. No telling what'll happen this year with the new system.

Albany website says they enroll 135-140 students per year. FB group is at 142, probably around 133-137 if you subtract likely current students. So estimating around 5 spots or less depending on students commenting above, and myself, that have yet to join. Definitely not the time to give up hope just yet, especially with this new system and movement (combined with the 3 days they give those pulled off the alternate list to accept their acceptance and assign them as #1 choice)! - but make sure you're not just sitting around hoping for the best! That really screwed me last year with reapplications.

Reactions: 2 users
Albany website says they enroll 135-140 students per year. FB group is at 142, probably around 133-137 if you subtract likely current students. So estimating around 5 spots or less depending on students commenting above, and myself, that have yet to join. Definitely not the time to give up hope just yet, especially with this new system and movement (combined with the 3 days they give those pulled off the alternate list to accept their acceptance and assign them as #1 choice)! - but make sure you're not just sitting around hoping for the best! That really screwed me last year with reapplications.

I agree with this... I was ready to start writing up my application in a few days until I was accepted a week ago... One of my friends who was accepted at AMC, but is attending another school is in the FB group and never left. I wouldn't go by the FB group member count. AMC just likes to accept super conservatively. If I was to guess, there should be some movement tomorrow since I was accepted last Wednesday.. This would give the recently accepted students ample time to make decisions on whether to attend or not

Last edited:
I agree with this... I was ready to start writing up my application in a few days until I was accepted a week ago... One of my friends who was accepted at AMC, but is attending another school is in the FB group and never left. I wouldn't go by the FB group member count. AMC just likes to accept super conservatively. If I was to guess, there should be some movement tomorrow since I was accepted last Wednesday.. This would give the recently accepted students ample time to make decisions on whether to attend or not
Agreed -- try not to use the FB group numbers as any sort of gauge. Many accepted students join every facebook group at every school to which they were accepted in order to see what the vibe is like, get updates on the process, etc. For example, there are well over 300 students in one of the groups I'm in for a school that has 200 incoming students. This number is totally irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 users
That's definitely reassuring! But if amc accepts like 300 people a year and most people accepted join the group then why are only 150 in the fb group... :thinking:

I would assume that some people don't use facebook or decide not to join the group

anyone reach out to admissions to ask what the status is with the waitlist etc ?

silently hope hangs
elation for the rare few
muffled in chagrin

So it looks like ~79 people (don't know how many of the 79 are M1s or something, but then again don't know how many acceptees don't use facebook...) got in since april 10th. It would seem that the waitlist is moving a lot, just no one is posting in on here lol

View attachment 262196

The FB group for admitted students was created on 3/4/19. I believe they invited people in chunks, which is why you see +79 members joining since 4/10/19. I wouldn't gauge how much movement has occurred based off the FB group.

I got off the waitlist today. OOS female, 3.65/513. I will probably be giving up my acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else on the alternate list get the background check email today?

Last edited:
Someone else had that happen and it meant they'd gotten in!! You should check your amcas to see if "choose your school" is available; if so, email admissions and ask what's up cause you probably got in!

Hm Albany hasn't shown up on my Choose Your School tool despite getting the background check email. I'll check again tomorrow!

Hm Albany hasn't shown up on my Choose Your School tool despite getting the background check email. I'll check again tomorrow!

Just call, reference the email, and ask about your status. It was quick and easy. Don't wait until tomorrow unless you're not seriously considering the school because they give you 3 days to accept their acceptance.

Additionally, since you're already holding an acceptance it's possible you might not see Albany listed unless you click "edit selection" on AMCAS as you already have a school selected as 'plan to enroll' ( which you can only have one of at this time)- the new tool is..unclear.

Last edited:
Last year after the mid-May UC pulls, only one or two posted that they got off the list. Safe to say if we haven’t heard back that all hope is lost?

• Sad
I left a message for Albany on Monday asking about the alternate list/where the admission office is in their process. This is what they said:

"Thanks for your message. We do see that you on the Alternate List. We have no update or change in status for you at this time. We are accepting off of this list and when and if we reach your rank is when you should hear of an update. We do not have a time frame unfortunately, but once a decision is reached, you will hear via e-mail."

Hope this helps for others still waiting!

Last year after the mid-May UC pulls, only one or two posted that they got off the list. Safe to say if we haven’t heard back that all hope is lost?

I wouldn't say all hope is lost because of the new system, but it is becoming increasingly less likely. There are still people refusing their acceptances from today, but with each round of acceptances, that number becomes less and less. My guess is after today you could see anywhere between 2-5 more acceptances, and occasionally 1-2 in July. With 50-100 people on the alternate list, the chance is rather slim but not impossible. Hope for the best, but make sure you prepare a contingency plan for the worst.

• Sad
Just call, reference the email, and ask about your status. It was quick and easy. Don't wait until tomorrow unless you're not seriously considering the school because they give you 3 days to accept their acceptance.

Additionally, since you're already holding an acceptance it's possible you might not see Albany listed unless you click "edit selection" on AMCAS as you already have a school selected as 'plan to enroll' ( which you can only have one of at this time)- the new tool is..unclear.

Thanks for the tip. Just checked "edit selection" on my Choose Your School tool and Albany isn't listed :( Nothing new on the Albany portal or spam email folder either. My disappointment is immeasureable and now my day is ruined. I was totally played by that background check email

• Wow
  • Sad
Someone else got that background check thing and they were accepted shortly after. I wonder why they would request a BC if they're not planning on admitting someone?

Thanks for the tip. Just checked "edit selection" on my Choose Your School tool and Albany isn't listed :( Nothing new on the Albany portal or spam email folder either. My disappointment is immeasureable and now my day is ruined. I was totally played by that background check email

You have to call the main office. I had Albany on "choose your medical school" but didn't get any acceptance email from them. My Albany portal was also unchanged and didn't show an acceptance. One hour after the background check I got an email saying I was going to lose my seat in the class (that I didn't even know I had) if I didn't click 'plan to enroll' on amcas.

I called, they checked my status and said I received an acceptance email the previous night (I had not). Then they asked if I had accidentally deleted my acceptance email (lmao) and checked my junk mail (only checked like 10 times neurotically, and it was not there). So they resent the acceptance email and the second I got it my Albany portal updated with the acceptance packet.

So moral of the story, if you get a background check email call them up. Especially because regardless of whether you got the acceptance email or not, the 3 days to accept their acceptance may be ticking down.

Last edited:
I know that interviews are over, but is there anyone else on here who has not been rejected yet and has not received an interview haha?

Going to be withdrawing my A, hope it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Was accepted on Friday - so don't give up hope! Movement is still happening.

withdrew from waitlist, good luck to everybody still waiting- I believe in you!

This gives me hope but also worry. Could they be down to a one-by-one replacement already?

Oy, seems early for that? But I have no clue. Not sure when rufusthedog96 withdrew but I got my acceptance email at 1:30 pm EST on Friday 5/17.

My first A but I'm on one other WL at a school where I would get IS tuition (I know beggars can't be choosers but I am begging to save some $$$$$$ :depressed:). Here's hoping the dominoes continue to fall across the board and that people accept/withdraw offers in a timely manner (thanks to those who have been doing so!!) and we all achieve our dreams :highfive:

I'm hoping it's not a one by one, does seem a bit too early for that...but just to put information out there for you guys on the waitlist, I did withdraw and get confirmation from AMC of my withdrawal at 1:10 PM EST on Friday.

I'm sure there are also lots of people who are holding acceptances that are also on WL (seemed that way in the FB group), so don't lose hope!

EDIT: Changed the time, sorry! I put the PST time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I know that interviews are over, but is there anyone else on here who has not been rejected yet and has not received an interview haha?
My daughter is in the same situation...guessing it is a reject! Might be worth a call to find out what happened.

Has anyone called lately to ask AMC about movement and whether they’ve filled their class?

I didn't call but I did email quite some time ago, they basically said "we don't know but we anticipate releasing the alternate list from consideration in June, maybe July." Definitely disheartening...all we can do is hope I guess.

I'm rooting for you!! This class would be so much more fun with your memes. Too bad that can't go under Work/Activities

• Haha
Hello friends. I need your help with a V serious question.

So, I'm currently accepted at Albany but still waiting to hear from another school (which would likely be much cheaper for me).

I have noooo clue when I'll hear from them (June, July, whenever). *Do I, or do I not, secure an apartment in Albany?* I know this is an amazing problem to have, but I have no idea how to navigate this waitlist. :arghh: HALP

Hello friends. I need your help with a V serious question.

So, I'm currently accepted at Albany but still waiting to hear from another school (which would likely be much cheaper for me).

I have noooo clue when I'll hear from them (June, July, whenever). *Do I, or do I not, secure an apartment in Albany?* I know this is an amazing problem to have, but I have no idea how to navigate this waitlist. :arghh: HALP

Secure the apartment now, because it’s a good plan, we don’t know how the waitlists are moving this year, and you KNOW you’ll likely be pulled off that other more enticing waitlist the second you actually try to set down some roots ;) (just kidding about the last part, but it’s a good idea to secure the housing anyway)

Secure the apartment now, because it’s a good plan, we don’t know how the waitlists are moving this year, and you KNOW you’ll likely be pulled off that other more enticing waitlist the second you actually try to set down some roots ;) (just kidding about the last part, but it’s a good idea to secure the housing anyway)
Urgh, thank you for your input!!! I appreciate it. I'm nervous about losing a security deposit, etc...but I guess not having a place to live while starting med school would be worse than losing $1,000.

:)

Urgh, thank you for your input!!! I appreciate it. I'm nervous about losing a security deposit, etc...but I guess not having a place to live while starting med school would be worse than losing $1,000.

:)

Better safe than sorry! I wish this app cycle and the waitlist movement wouldn’t force us into these positions where we lose $1000 or more, either getting apartments in places we may not go, or having to prep reapplications while waiting for waitlist results. But here we are *le sigh* As another option you could wait and find a place later, but it could be more expensive rent or in a less safe area. It’s a compromise.

Congrats on getting in though!! :)