2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted on Friday!! Interviewed a week prior on 10/5!

Interviewed same day! Called last Friday but I missed it.
Accepted today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone understand what they mean by their "helix" curriculum? How is this different than other medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone understand what they mean by their "helix" curriculum? How is this different than other medical schools?
I am guessing helix curriculum means that ARCOM utilizes different methods to make sure that their students are learning the information required for the profession and to help the students meet the competencies to become an osteopathic physician.

Reactions: 1 user
A helix curriculum means, just like triple helix DNA has 3 strands that meet at different turns, you get to see everything in the curriculum 3 times during your pre-clinical years; each in different situations keeping in mind the build up of current and previous information that meets/interconnects with each other as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

A helix curriculum means, just like triple helix DNA has 3 strands that meet at different turns, you get to see everything in the curriculum 3 times during your pre-clinical years; each in different situations keeping in mind the build up of current and previous information that meets/interconnects with each other as well.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the structure of DNA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just means three passes at the material. Repetition works for learning.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the structure of DNA.

Triple-stranded DNA - Wikipedia

Lol just use google next time before you try to prove someone wrong. Yes, I know the structure of DNA. I was a Bio major, and now I'm a medical student. I think after all of this time I should have learned the structure of DNA by now .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How long did it take for them to receive your LOR from AACOMAS? And how long after submitting a secondary did you hear about an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for them to receive your LOR from AACOMAS? And how long after submitting a secondary did you hear about an interview?
I don't think there was any delay for the LOR. I got an II in two days. This school is really quick at getting things turned around.

They have access to your AACOMAS application as soon as it's been submitted and verified. Meaning there is no delay in them getting your LORs. If it's on your application, they have it. In terms of interview invite, it seems that most (if not all) of the people that submit a secondary receive one within 2 or 3 days. Same thing for last year when I applied. They are very quick to invite the people they actually want to interview.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, interviewing here Friday 10/19. Does anyone have any advice? Interview style? I'm really not sure how much preparation is useful? I'm fluent in what I've done/where I've been, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone else is interviewing on the same day, let me know!

Hey everyone, interviewing here Friday 10/19. Does anyone have any advice? Interview style? I'm really not sure how much preparation is useful? I'm fluent in what I've done/where I've been, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone else is interviewing on the same day, let me know!
Just be yourself. They let you bring up and talk about pretty much anything you want. Id pick the main points you want to address and figure out a way to put them in casual conversation. No prep needed outside of that.

Just be yourself. They let you bring up and talk about pretty much anything you want. Id pick the main points you want to address and figure out a way to put them in casual conversation. No prep needed outside of that.

Is it an interview without my stats? I'm not sure why I thought that.

Triple-stranded DNA - Wikipedia

Lol just use google next time before you try to prove someone wrong. Yes, I know the structure of DNA. I was a Bio major, and now I'm a medical student. I think after all of this time I should have learned the structure of DNA by now .

It was actually a sarcasm... But apparently came across poor through text. It is a strange analogy to use though. Also, thanks for the Google link, because I too was confused as a grad student on the structure of DNA. (sarcasm btw, since you can't recognize it). Apparently sdn can't take jokes without feeling personally attacked.

what is the tunraround time from application received to secondary or rejection

It was actually a sarcasm... But apparently came across poor through text. It is a strange analogy to use though. Also, thanks for the Google link, because I too was confused as a grad student on the structure of DNA. (sarcasm btw, since you can't recognize it). Apparently sdn can't take jokes without feeling personally attacked.

Lol I used that analogy because that was the one they used during my interview last year. So I thought it would make more sense to use it too haha .

Accepted!!! Interviewed on 10/12

Reactions: 6 users
No news yet from the 10/9 interview... should I be nervous :(

edit: if you don’t get a phone call within the expected time frame of your interview, would that be considered a silent rejection?

Last edited:

edit: if you don’t get a phone call within the expected time frame of your interview, would that be considered a silent rejection?
They don't silent reject people they've interviewed. They will get back to you with a decision (acceptance, Waitlist, or rejection) eventually.

It's either a waitlist or rejection. Everyone usually gets accepted and called the same day from the same interview group or earlier.

I interviewed on 10/12 too but no call :/ . Does that mean I'm probably waitlisted or rejected? That's really disappointing. My stats are good, I'm an AR resident, and have very strong ties to the region. I thought my interview went really well. Maybe I misread the room?

what is the tunraround time from application received to secondary or rejection
I received a secondary from ARCOM on August 9th after I submitted my primary application late July. My interview invite came about 3 or 4 days after I submitted my secondary on September 3. I Interview on Oct.23rd.

I interviewed on 10/12 too but no call :/ . Does that mean I'm probably waitlisted or rejected? That's really disappointing. My stats are good, I'm an AR resident, and have very strong ties to the region. I thought my interview went really well. Maybe I misread the room?
I wouldn't worry, they will get back you. I am sure you will get in if you feel you did well during the interview and your stats were good.

I wouldn't worry, they will get back you. I am sure you will get in if you feel you did well during the interview and your stats were good.
Thanks! It's hard not to. I read earlier that they call all the acceptances from an interview date on the same day. It's my top choice school because of how impressed I am with what they've done and the opportunity to really sink my teeth into community engagement and patient interaction from year 1. I really hope you're right, and I get that call. Fingers crossed!

Just got the call!!!

I guess I was worried for nothing, I'm so excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this morning! Interviewed 10/9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying in today for an interview on 10/23. I'm so excited. Never been to Arkansas and I really like ARCOM's mission. Who else is interviewing that day?

Flying in today for an interview on 10/23. I'm so excited. Never been to Arkansas and I really like ARCOM's mission. Who else is interviewing that day?
I am! Hopefully I will see you there!