2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way guys, there is an ARCOM class of 2023 Facebook page if you guys wanna join. As the group grows, there will be current ARCOM student ambassadors there to answer questions that you might have, and also you'll be able to communicate with your furure classmates and maybe find a future roommate for next year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
By the way guys, there is an ARCOM class of 2023 Facebook page if you guys wanna join. As the group grows, there will be current ARCOM student ambassadors there to answer questions that you might have, and also you'll be able to communicate with your furure classmates and maybe find a future roommate for next year.

Can't find it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, applied pretty late to ARCOM, received II on Saturday and will interview in December. Arkansas native, but attending grad school elsewhere. I've heard good things about this school so obviously quite excited.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, applied pretty late to ARCOM, received II on Saturday and will interview in December. Arkansas native, but attending grad school elsewhere. I've heard good things about this school so obviously quite excited.

I’m interviewing in December also! Hopefully we aren’t to late!

Reactions: 1 user
Could some current students speak on the pros and cons they've encountered so far? How is the quality of professors? How is communication between students and the school? And for any 2nd years, with 6ish months till the school's first try at boards, how do you and your class feel?
Could someone also explain what a typical day looks like for a first year student?
I loved everything I heard and saw at the interview but would like to get a more honest opinions if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from 10/5 interview or later get instructions/links on how to put down the deposits yet?

Anyone from 10/5 interview or later get instructions/links on how to put down the deposits yet?
The program they use for deposits is down indefinitely. They said they will notify us when they receive any updates.

Did they say if other links were down too? Like signing the documents?

They emailed me saying they were going to give me the login info within 5 business days but I haven't gotten anything at all.

Did they say if other links were down too? Like signing the documents?

They emailed me saying they were going to give me the login info within 5 business days but I haven't gotten anything at all.
Same with me. None of the links work. I called and they said to just be patient and keep an eye on your inbox

are there any 1st years on here that i may private message? thanks in advance

Could some current students speak on the pros and cons they've encountered so far? How is the quality of professors? How is communication between students and the school? And for any 2nd years, with 6ish months till the school's first try at boards, how do you and your class feel?
Could someone also explain what a typical day looks like for a first year student?
I loved everything I heard and saw at the interview but would like to get a more honest opinions if possible.
I'm an OMS-1, so I've only been here for 3 months, but so far, I like it here, and I don't regret choosing this school over KCOM.

Pros:
- Lots and lots of support from the community, and surrounding hospitals.
- GMEs getting newly accredited in the state with our support.
- Lots and lots of rotation sites already (compared to other new schools)
- The school is not for profit compared to other new schools which allowed us to be eligible for federal loans.
- Experienced professors coming from KCU, KCOM, LMU-DCOM, and other medical schools.
- New Helix curriculum allowing us to go over the entire pre-clinical materials 3 times in different settings with a focus on what's important for boards accompanied with a Team-based learning approach.
- Ultrasound introduced to our curriculum giving us a good head start for clinical rotations and residency. One of the few schools to have this.
- Hands on clinical skills course, FOPC, from the start. Again good head start for clinical years and residency.
- Exam are made of board style questions and timed similarly to boards as well which allows us to get use to the boards early.
- Kaplan board review course paid by the school in second year.
- Entire 3rd floor dedicated to ongoing research by our current faculty members that students can participate in during their summer break. You have to apply for it during your second semester, and you get a $2000 stipend if you get accepted.
- Very experienced and recognized dean. Ex-CEO of the AOA.
- Apartments on campus available for students.
- Discounts for ARCOM students at many different locations around Fort Smith.
- Mercy clinic on campus available for students to get regular checkups, or get some clinical experience as well.
- Mercy Hospital and Sparks health system partnership with ARCOM allowing us to have great clinical rotations right here in the Fort Smith area.

Cons:
- Construction going on for the new building that's gonna house the other health programs and anatomy lab upstairs sometimes cause noises during class. That's only for the OMS-1 lecture hall though. The OMS-2 lecture hall is soundproof. But this problem should be fixed during Christmas break. Our Lecture Hall should be soundproof by the time you guys come here.
- If you don't like mandatory lectures and dress code, then that might be something to consider as well. I don't mind either of them though. I actually enjoy our lectures, and like I said we have experienced professors that aren't boring to listen to for 1 or 2 hours. Also BECOM lectures aren't mandatory if you stay above 70% average for the whole semester.
- ARCOM is a new school, so it's not all gonna be perfect. They are still figuring some things out, and faculty and staff are all ears for suggestions from us students. Good thing is most hiccups have been taken care of by the current OMS-2's suggestions from last year, and hopefully by the time you guys are here everything will be smooth.
- No board scores yet obviously, so we hope our current second years will be killing it next year.

About the quality of our professors, like I said before our professors are very experienced with many years of teaching under their belt from other medical schools, so I know that they are very qualified and know what they need to teach us.

I feel like the communication between us and the school is fair. The admins are open to suggestions, and our faculty have an open door policy, so you can drop by their office anytime. We get lots and lots of emails, so you always have to keep an eye on that, so you don't miss anything important.

I'll let a second year answer that part.

A typical day here start at 9am, and we have lectures all the way to 12pm (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday). We have anatomy lab once a week, and it goes from 1pm to 4pm (group A on Mondays and group B on Wednesdays). OMM lab also once a week, and it goes from 1pm to 3pm if you're group A and from 3pm to 5pm if you're group B. On Thursdays we got our clinical skills course, FOPC, and we got one lecture from 7am to 8am, then group A goes to lab from 8am to 10am, and group B from 10am to 12pm. As you can see we only have two late days and 3 days we get done by 12pm on a typical week. But sometimes we get TBL (team based learning) sessions incorporated into this schedule as well maybe once or twice a month. Plus, our anatomy course is 16 weeks, so it ends mid November, and around that same time we'll also be starting a new class, IBC, which is mostly made of TBL sessions. That brief period where Anatomy intersects with IBC is when our schedule is the most packed, but it's only 2 weeks, and as soon we're done with that last anatomy exam, we go back to a less packed schedule again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now - finished my secondary on 10/23... what a turn around! Would anyone share with me the format of the interview? What kind of experience have you all had at the school?

Last edited:
II just now - finished my secondary on 10/23... what a turn around! Would anyone share with me the format of the interview? What kind of experience have you all had at the school?
I interviewed on 10/23 and I really enjoyed the tour of the school. The people there were very nice and the school is really making the effort to give students everything they need to succeed. The interview was good! It was conversational. The interview questions usually based of what you say. They are just getting to know you so don't panic. Think of why that school and why DO. ARCOM also has apartments right behind the school called The Residents. All the students that came to interview got to see that and all of the school. The school also had a meet and greet at Home2Suites hotel a day before the interview so that you can talk to some of the current students at ARCOM. I liked it and meeting people there made things less nervous. I think you will really enjoy it.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 10/23 and I really enjoyed the tour of the school. The people there were very nice and the school is really making the effort to give students everything they need to succeed. The interview was good! It was conversational. I was asked why I want to be a DO, they also ask me to describe myself to them at the beginning of the interview when my interviewers introduced themselves to me. I was also asked why I wanted to come to ARCOM. ARCOM also has apartments right behind the school called The Residents. All the students that came to interview got to see that and all of the school. The school also had a meet and greet at Home2Suites hotel a day before the interview so that you can talk to some of the current students at ARCOM. I liked and go to meet people there which made things less nervous. I think you will really enjoy it.

Thank you for your response! :)
It wasn't a group interview, right?

Forgot to post back here, but I interviewed 10/9, and got my call last Friday, 10/19. I blame block exams :( and current cardio block :hungover:

@_dreamcatcher9 I tried to PM you bck, but I couldn't. Maybe it's something to do with the privacy of your account. But anyway the answer to your question is: No, it shouldn't really be a big deal.

Last edited:
Accepted, interviewed 10/19. Humbled by the entire process, good luck everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed on 10/16 but haven’t hear anything back. Guess no luck this year.

Interviewed on 10/16 but haven’t hear anything back. Guess no luck this year.

I found out I was accepted 2 weeks after my interview, even though people who interviewed after me were getting their acceptance calls before me. You never know

anyone know an affordable/decent rental car place if I'm flying into Tulsa OK? I'm 22 y/o

Last edited:
Got the call today! Interviewed 10/16.

I think she meant that the school should have a decision post-interview, not just getting silently rejected.

There isn’t a silent rejection you get a letter in the mail with a decision, wait list or rejection

So you get a call if accepted and a letter if waitlist or rejected? How much time in between the interview and the call?

just out of curiosity, what are the deposit deadlines for folks that have been accepted post October 15?

Same . It won’t change till Nov 14

Ah ok. Say hypothetically one were to hear back after 11/14, any idea what the deadline may look like at that point?

Thanks for your help, as I count my chickens...!

So you get a call if accepted and a letter if waitlist or rejected? How much time in between the interview and the call?

Usually like a week or two.

Ah ok. Say hypothetically one were to hear back after 11/14, any idea what the deadline may look like at that point?

Thanks for your help, as I count my chickens...!

They go by the AACOMAS recommended schedule. So after 11/14, you have a month to put down the deposit, then less time as the cycle goes on.

I found out I was accepted 2 weeks after my interview, even though people who interviewed after me were getting their acceptance calls before me. You never know
Did you find out exactly two weeks after your interview? I'm getting kinda nervous since a lot of the calls were made on Friday. :/

Have you done the secondary yet?

I submitted it so I can't see the questions anymore. Was this the school that asked about felonies/misdemeanors and institutional actions/probation again on the secondary?

If anyone has a secondary not submitted still or remember, I'd really appreciate any help

Last edited:
Did you find out exactly two weeks after your interview? I'm getting kinda nervous since a lot of the calls were made on Friday. :/

Almost exactly 2 weeks, it was 13 days after my interview.

Anyone with Interview advice for ARCOM please PM me. I have my interview coming up would love to chat.

Hi friends, looonggg time lurker here and this will be my first official post.

AACOMAS submitted 07/16
AACOMAS verified 07/20
ARCOM received email 07/20
ARCOM secondary invite 07/21
Submitted my secondary 08/18
LORs finally submitted/officially complete 08/20
ARCOM II 08/22
Interview 10/02
Acceptance 10/13 !!!!!!!!

This was my first II and first acceptance :)
GL to everybody !!
Congrats on the acceptance! Would you mind sharing where you were waitlisted/ rejected? I was accepted to ARCOM as well and also sent out plenty of secondaries. Just curious.