2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Home 2 Suites. I walked it...it was fine. :)
Dude, Google says it's like a 1 hr walk. How did you do it? I would have been profusely sweating in my suit after that. Lol anyway, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. @Purplelaffytaffy there are a few Uber drivers around, but I don't know how reliable they are since I've never try them. But I'm sure if you get ready early enough (like ~1hr early), you could make it on time depending on whether or not you can find a driver out that early.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, Google says it's like a 1 hr walk. How did you do it? I would have been profusely sweating in my suit after that. Lol anyway, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. @Purplelaffytaffy there are a few Uber drivers around, but I don't know how reliable they are since I've never try them. But I'm sure if you get ready early enough (like ~1hr early), you could make it on time depending on whether or not you can find a driver out that early.

Heh...I should have been more clear. I walked to the airport.

The usual why medicine? Why osteopathic medicine specifically? Why the school? Why Arkansas or Fort Smith? Talk about yourself, your accomplishments, your failures and how you cope... are some of the questions you should be able to answer without thinking because they are questions you should expect and prepare for. The rest is conversational and can go anyway you want mostly. Also, make sure you have questions for your interviewers as well. Remember, you're not only being interviewed, but you're also interviewing them/the school.

Also, you can kind of gear the interview towards what you want to talk about. So it's up to you on what you want to talk about.

Considering there are mandatory lectures, How much free time do you have for self-study & yourself?

Reactions: 1 user
Considering there are mandatory lectures, How much free time do you have for self-study & yourself?
BECOM which makes up most of our curriculum isn't mandatory unless you fall below a 70% average in the class. Anatomy and lab during first 12 weeks of OMS1, TBL/IBC sessions, OMM sessions, and FOPC sessions are mandatory. So far, first semester of OMS1, only 2 days of the week we get out of class late (4pm and 5pm with breaks in the middle). Every other day we get done by 12pm. So I'd say I have enough time to study (on average maybe 5-6 hours a day at least).

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the call!!!!!! Accepted, I love ARCOM soooo excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from the 11/9 interview group heard back?

Has anyone from the 11/9 interview group heard back?

I interviewed 11/9 and have not heard back. I believe that they reviewed us this week as well. Crossing my fingers we hear today! So exciting.

Just interviewed here and I must say I am absolutely blown away by my experience. Wonderful school wonderful facilities wonderful faculty wonderful students. I’ve interviewed at both MD and DO schools and this has by far been my best experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Just interviewed here and I must say I am absolutely blown away by my experience. Wonderful school wonderful facilities wonderful faculty wonderful students. I’ve interviewed at both MD and DO schools and this has by far been my best experience.

I had a similar experience. I will actually be picking this school over several other acceptances. It's hard to put into words but simply put the school is just firing on all cylinders! What's impressive though is that they don't "hard sell" their school. The community, atmosphere, and their actions do all the selling! Type the school name into PubMed and several pages of 2018 articles come up (I know some of the articles come from pre-arcom employment but the arcoms name is nonetheless associated with the publication)... Unlike newer schools and even some established ones, they are actively opening GME spots (not "rumored spots" or "in the talks of opening". Actual spots with locations given). I've told myself for years I would never attend a new school and walked into arcom with limited enthusiasm... But I literally can't wait to move my family across the country to attend arcom!

Reactions: 4 users
So I originally applied to all the medical school in driving range and one day got a secondary from ARCOM and had no idea where or what this school was. Well, I did some research and found out it was only a 2-hour drive away from me and seemed really nice. I asked some physicians I work with and all they kept talking about was how the simulation lab was best in the country up there with Harvard. So I went to their pre-med conference a few weeks ago and absolutely fell in love with this campus and area. I moved to this part of the country to escape the big city and get that outdoors feeling and that's just how this campus feels.

Well, I interviewed on 11/16 and as others have mentioned this is the simplest interview I have ever done in my life. Its 2 on 1 with one being a professor and the other a local community member and goes for exactly 30 minutes. It literally just goes where ever you take it and before you know it you're already out of time and trying to get in a couple questions. Ask some basic things such as
Have you worked in teams before, what did your team members think of you, greatest achievement, why DO, have you done any research, things of this nature.

Also, they give you a piece of paper with a question at the top and have the rest of the page to answer the questions and they give you about 10 minutes to write your response. So far it seems they have all been related to Social Media in one aspect or another. Just start thinking about social media and how it affects everything from healthcare to politics in both good and bad ways.

Now the only bad part is they meet on Thursdays to discuss the applicants and this Thursday is Thanksgiving so we now have to wait until the following Thursday and won't actually hear anything until the first week of December. This is going to be the longest wait ever.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who interviewed on 11/13 or 11/16, do you mind telling me what your portal checklists sais?

Random question: I plan on attending here and got extremely bad cell service throughout the entire town. I'm looking to switch carriers and want to know which provider has the best coverage in Fort Smith.

Sent from my SM-N900P using SDN mobile

Random question: I plan on attending here and got extremely bad cell service throughout the entire town. I'm looking to switch carriers and want to know which provider has the best coverage in Fort Smith.

What cell service do you have? When I Interviewed my service seemed fine. I have AT&T.

After getting the acceptance call, how long did the acceptance package take to get to you? is it in an email or mail? Also, is there a class of 2023 facebook page?

After getting the acceptance call, how long did the acceptance package take to get to you? is it in an email or mail? Also, is there a class of 2023 facebook page?

Its an email. And I’m not sure about the Facebook page but I would love to join!

Do you know how long it took to get the email?
I received the Congrats and Welcome email October 11th and two other emails. The emails had links to the portal to pay the deposit and sign your matriculation documents. I interviewed August 17thish I believe so it could be a lot sooner if you interviewed later rather than a 2 month wait like I had.

What cell service do you have? When I Interviewed my service seemed fine. I have AT&T.
I know T-Mobile and Verizon works fine as well. Also, you should know that everybody has bad signals when inside the school because the building is a tornado shelter.
Its an email. And I’m not sure about the Facebook page but I would love to join!
Facebook page is not very active right now because there's only like 30 people that joined, but I'm expecting it to get more active as more and more people join (usually towards the end of the cycle).
BTW here's the link to the page:

Last edited:
I got my acceptance letter/package in the mail about a week after I got the acceptance phone call

How long does it typically take to hear back after the interview? Mine is coming up in a little over a week and is on a Tuesday so just wondering how long it takes for them to get back with a decision!

How long does it typically take to hear back after the interview? Mine is coming up in a little over a week and is on a Tuesday so just wondering how long it takes for them to get back with a decision!

They called me 6 days after my interview. I think they told our interview group that the admissions committee meets every other Thursday.

About a week for me. Usually after you interview your file will go to the admissions committee about a week after you interview. They will tell you to give them up to 3 weeks to hear back if I remember correctly. You could also hear back sooner. It just depends.

I interviewed 11/16 and couldn’t be more impressed with the school. Just be yourself for the interview :)!

I wish they give us their decision before Thanksgiving. I can't wait :xf:

Anyone have any good advice for preparing for the interview? Did you practice with your parents or professors? I suck at interviews lol

Anyone have any good advice for preparing for the interview? Did you practice with your parents or professors? I suck at interviews lol

honestly, the interview is a conversation that can go in any way you please! they really just want to get to know you.

best of luck !

I found some common interview questions online and copied and pasted them into a word document and spent time answering them. Answering them allowed me to think of all the stuff I have done in health and the community and explain them. After answering questions I would read over them frequently. I would practice reciting what I would say when I introduce myself just to get comfortable. I practiced that in front of my mom lol. But the interview at ARCOM is closed file meaning that the person interviewing you doesn't know anything about your file you have submitted to the school. So you take the interview in which ever direction you want. Make sure to think why ARCOM, why DO, and your interests that led you in that direction. Just be yourself :) best of luck!

This was the only two on one interview I had but I do remember that I reminded myself to make sure I was addressing both interviewers in my response.

Anyone here interviewing on Nov. 30th?

@DrStephenStrange Do you know places where students went to furnish their apartments at The Residents? Thanks!
This is so early to think about this, but people here went to FFO home or Old Fort furniture, and both of them offer 15% discount to ARCOM students. Old Fort also delivers for free. For me, I went a cheaper way and odered all my stuff on wayfair.com.

Last edited:
@DrStephenStrange Do you know when ARCOM will send out like a list of stuff that we need to get? Such as anatomy lab coats, scrubs, etc. I am just asking because someone in your class has a blog that lists the stuff she had to get and I was looking at that but I don't know how much it will change for the 2023 class. Thanks!
what is the link to the blog?

Can someone speak on the what the dress code is throughout the week? Would jeans be allowed at any point?