2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Got the call today. Over the moon! So happy

Interviewed on 11/30

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have been accepted, how long after the acceptance phone call did you get the link to pay your deposit?

Does ARCOM take update letters? Been silence since secondary submitted in August...

I was wondering if someone could help me compare pro's and con's lists of LMUCOM and ARCOM? Accepted to both, waiting to here back on others, but might have to put a deposit down at one or the other just in case. Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if someone could help me compare pro's and con's lists of LMUCOM and ARCOM? Accepted to both, waiting to here back on others, but might have to put a deposit down at one or the other just in case. Thanks in advance!!
I was in the same situation. I had a thread but it didn't get many responses ARCOM vs LMU-DCOM
I ended up choosing ARCOM but I went with my gut really.

You should also check out this post.
I go to ARCOM, and I completely agree with @believeland. I know I might be a little bias, but I believe that ARCOM is really one of the new schools that is really moving in the right direction, and it's not just because of the brand new "shiny" building. I know it is a private school, but with all the support from the state, the city of Fort Smith, the surrounding hospitals and health systems, and other donors from the state dropping millions at a time into the development of the school, it's looking more and more like a state school. This is why we're the only non-profit new DO school, and why students had access to federal loans from the start. We have an entire floor dedicated to ongoing research, and we are encouraged to get involved early in first year. A $2000 stipend is awarded from the school in the summer if you are doing research. Professors here have received many grants already including an NIH grant. ARCOM is the only new school with 3 affiliated residency programs up and running already for this cycle in IM, FM, and gen surg, and another 3 seeking ACGME accreditation. Our curriculum (triple helix) is a more rigorous and innovative copy of Rochester's MD school (double helix), and I strongly believe in its effectiveness because of how it allows us to go over pre-clinical materials 3 times before boards. We are already offering a 1 year special masters degree in biomedicine for students interested in our school but have weak stats, which if you finish with a B overall, you are guaranteed an interview. In less then two years, we'll also offer OT, PT, and PA programs. How do you think we are able to move so fast? 3 words, lots of support, and because we are kinda like a private "state" school like I said earlier. We may not be the first choice DO school right now, but I do believe we're going to be a strong school going forward once we have a few graduate classes going into the match. Really the only thing that turns people off about ARCOM is dress code and mandatory attendance, but really it isn't that bad. The dress code is business casual, and I go to school more on the casual side everyday and no one cares. Mandatory attendance is only for our 12 week anatomy course, OMM, TBL and FOPC (clinical skills course). BECOM (Biomedical Essentials of Comprehensive Osteopathic Medicine) the course we have the most is not mandatory as long you keep 70% average in the class, so really only during the first semester when you have anatomy, you have to be at school everyday. Once you pass anatomy, the mandatory attendance is more lax.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Also heard this from @Goro.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

https://osteopathic.org/2018/09/24/accreditation-decisions-for-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine-9/

I heard rotation years suck at LMU as well from other posters. Obviously I wouldn't know this for sure, but it wouldn't hurt to ask around. Maybe start a "help me decide: X vs Y Medical School" thread. Whatever school you choose though, you'll be a DOctor. Congratulations.

Last edited:
closed file, traditional style. please try not to be nervous, very basic questions just to get a sense of who you are as a person. low stress interview that was very conversational. i know this is far fetched to say, but just be yourself - that's who they want to know. this was my chillest interview yet.
Thank you so much!

Was wondering if someone could speak about ARCOM waitlist and chance to move off from it. Would be much appreciated - Thanks.

Also heard this from @Goro.

I heard rotation years suck at LMU as well from other posters. Obviously I wouldn't know this for sure, but it wouldn't hurt to ask around. Maybe start a "help me decide: X vs Y Medical School" thread. Whatever school you choose though, you'll be a DOctor. Congratulations.

LMU-DCOM is under heightened monitoring because they have added the brand new Knoxville campus, not because there is any deficiency in the school - they are fully accredited. I had this information given to me at interview day because I had similar concerns with it.

Anyway, I was waitlisted at ARCOM on Friday but will be withdrawing my application. Hopefully my spot on the waitlist will allow one of you to move up :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance here on Thursday. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Reactions: 5 users
Was wondering if someone could speak about ARCOM waitlist and chance to move off from it. Would be much appreciated - Thanks.
According to admin last year, the waitlist is not ranked (otherwise ranking would change every week after each interview), and they can pull people from it at anytime during the cycle. Though last year they started pulling people from it very early (November-December), and this year I haven't heard anyone beeing taken off it yet. There's usually a good amount of movement from waitlist, so don't lose hope yet. There's still a chance. You just have to be patient. Usually the most movement happens towards the end of the cycle around May and June.
Good luck.

Dumb move from my part. But I booked a wrong date ticket for a flight back to Dallas from Fort Smith after my interview on Tuesday 12/18. So, if anyone can give me a ride back to Dallas (if you driving), please PM me. Too expensive to buy a ticket now.
I really appreciate it!

Anyone hear back yet from the interview on December 7th? I’m hoping to hear back this week

For those who got an II in December was the earliest date available in January?

Any current students know the housing situation around ARCOM? How competitive is it to get into the Residents? I also remember they were constructing new housing right across the school by the summer too. Any recommendations off campus?

Any current students know the housing situation around ARCOM? How competitive is it to get into the Residents? I also remember they were constructing new housing right across the school by the summer too. Any recommendations off campus?
I first heard back from them early November after I had filled out a housing application. I think it is a good idea to fill one out so that you at least be considered for housing on campus. I am guessing that we won't hear back until some time next year in January after New Years. I also heard that our class might get the newer apartments being built across the school.

I first heard back from them early November after I had filled out a housing application. I think it is a good idea to fill one out so that you at least be considered for housing on campus. I am guessing that we won't hear back until some time next year in January after New Years. I also heard that our class might get the newer apartments being built across the school.
Many of second years will be moving out as well for rotations.

Are these apartments family friendly? Do most married students live off campus?

Are these apartments family friendly? Do most married students live off campus?
Most students live here at the residents, so I would argue most married students also live here. I also live here with my wife, and I don't see any issue with it. It's also very convenient for me not to worry about different bills or laundry, and just walking to school every day.

Most students live here at the residents, so I would argue most married students also live here. I also live here with my wife, and I don't see any issue with it. It's also very convenient for me not to worry about different bills or laundry, and just walking to school every day.

Do they allow dogs?

Do they allow dogs?

IIRC, there's a size limit, or an exception made for support animals. My large dogs don't meet either category, so I guess it's off campus housing for me.

When I interviewed here, a few students mentioned that there are a ton of surrounding neighborhoods that are more conducive to family lifestyle (low cost of living, fenced yards for pets kids etc., multi-bedroom/bathrooms) within less than a mile away. Not to say that none live in the residents, but that may be a more ideal option for some.

Did anybody that interviewed December 11th hear back yet? They said they should let us know by today.

Today is the last day for all ARCOM employees, so you guys might not hear back till next month/year. Hope you can still enjoy the holidays though. Merry christmas to everyone especially those still waiting impatiently.

For those of you that interviewed, what airport did you go to and did you stay at a hotel or Airbnb? Also would it be possible to uber to the interview? This is my first time traveling by myself so I'm a bit worried on my plan of action especially for something so important

For those of you that interviewed, what airport did you go to and did you stay at a hotel or Airbnb? Also would it be possible to uber to the interview? This is my first time traveling by myself so I'm a bit worried on my plan of action especially for something so important
I flew into fort smith airport and stayed at home 2 suites which is walking distance from the airport. That hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport, interview and any location within 3 miles or so If I remember correctly. It might be alittle bit on the expensive side but I was in the same positon as you and I am glad I stayed there. Hope that helps and good luck and enjoy arkansas

Reactions: 2 users
sorry forgot to answer the uber question. There are Ubers and a few others I interviewed with did uber so it is possible. However they did say there are a limited number of ubers

I flew into fort smith airport and stayed at home 2 suites which is walking distance from the airport. That hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport, interview and any location within 3 miles or so If I remember correctly. It might be alittle bit on the expensive side but I was in the same positon as you and I am glad I stayed there. Hope that helps and good luck and enjoy arkansas

Yes stay at hotel 2 suites, super nice hotel. the shuttle service is great and it calms your nerves being around others. My group was awesome.
One guy mentioned he flew in and took an Uber around and said it was relatively expensive with limited Ubers. I personally got a rental car and I was happy with that choice
It’s all a little bit expensive - but in my mind, it’s interview day... minimize as much possible room for error as you can so that you can prepare to sell yourself. It’s all an investment

Reactions: 3 users
+1 for flying into Ft Smith and home2 suites. Can’t mess it up! I walked from the airport to the hotel (flight got in late). But I’m sure they would pick you up if you arrange it.

I'm the same. I flight to Fort Smith and I booked my room at home 2 suites. When you arrive to Fort Smith, call the hotel and they will send you a shuttle. Also, they provide a shuttle for the students who are going to the interview. Just let them know the night before. I used the shuttle and I didn't walk or use a car.

I ubered! Just a tip, make sure to call for an Uber super early. I thought I’d be ok to wait a bit since the Uber was 5 mins away but when I waited that 5 min then became 30minutes! Lol

I got waitlisted. Quite surprised as I got accepted into 2 other pretty established DO schools. Oh well, I will probably withdraw my app.

Waitlisted as well. :(
I got waitlisted. Quite surprised as I got accepted into 2 other pretty established DO schools. Oh well, I will probably withdraw my app.
waitlisted as well. Interviewed 12/11

I interviewed on 12/11 and got waitlisted as well. What are the chances of getting called off the waitlist for admissions? Is the waitlist ranked or unranked?

Does anyone know the percentage of the class that was waitlisted?
No one can really tell you the percentage of the class that got accepted off the waitlist, but I can tell you that there's a good amount of movement from the waitlist especially towards the end of the cycle (May and June).

I'm the same. I flight to Fort Smith and I booked my room at home 2 suites. When you arrive to Fort Smith, call the hotel and they will send you a shuttle. Also, they provide a shuttle for the students who are going to the interview. Just let them know the night before. I used the shuttle and I didn't walk or use a car.
When you stayed at Home 2 suits did you get a discount? In the email it said " the following hotels offer a special rate for ARCOM interview candidates" and Home 2 suits was listed there.

When you stayed at Home 2 suits did you get a discount? In the email it said " the following hotels offer a special rate for ARCOM interview candidates" and Home 2 suits was listed there.
They have a flat rate for interviewees. Call & tell them you're coming for an interview & they'll give you the rate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile