2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those you who already got an II THIS YEAR, could you tell us whether you have a DO letter already in file? I already have a kind soul answering above, but just wanted to ask the rest of y'all. I am not sure if my app is going to stuck in pre-II stage w/o a DO letter...

Yes, I did have a DO letter. Interviewing here next month

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewing in October! Coming all the wayyy from Cali. Any interview tips guys?! Also, did any of you request to stay over with a med student? I seriously can't afford getting a hotel :/

PM me. I’m an OMS-1 here with a spare bedroom.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have an interview in October and have no ties to Arkansas (from Ohio) but would love to be a part of this school based on the mission/can see myself living in Arkansas after graduation and practicing there for underserved regions. Do you think a response along those lines with Ft. Smith being a place where I could start a family, etc. would be a good response for an admissions committee on why would you choose ARCOM? I was thinking of really accentuating that I fit the mission statement of the school, am committed to underserved regions, am interested in family medicine and practicing in Arkansas in the future.

Hey everyone, I have an interview in October and have no ties to Arkansas (from Ohio) but would love to be a part of this school based on the mission/can see myself living in Arkansas after graduation and practicing there for underserved regions. Do you think a response along those lines with Ft. Smith being a place where I could start a family, etc. would be a good response for an admissions committee on why would you choose ARCOM? I was thinking of really accentuating that I fit the mission statement of the school, am committed to underserved regions, am interested in family medicine and practicing in Arkansas in the future.

The students and interviewees I met all seemed to come from diverse geographical regions, but they all did fit the school's mission to serve the underserved. So yes, I think those are appropriate responses, though I feel like ARCOM has a passion for its graduate to serve the underserved even if that means outside of Arkansas.

The students and interviewees I met all seemed to come from diverse geographical regions, but they all did fit the school's mission to serve the underserved. So yes, I think those are appropriate responses, though I feel like ARCOM has a passion for its graduate to serve the underserved even if that means outside of Arkansas.
+1, I'm prior service army and expressed my interest on going back into the military to continue serving the underserved. Although I did make sure to mention that I was open to staying in Arkansas if anything changed with the military.

I got waitlisted. I'm very happy for those of you who got accepted! Way to go! I'm also glad to see those of you who had the "acceptance page" it was the real deal!!!

There is plenty of wait list movement later on in the cycle. Check out last year's thread.

hey guys, what is the best airport to fly into?

I got a flight into FSM...it wasn't cheap but with the car rental I'd need at any other airport there wasn't much of a difference.

I flew in to Tulsa and then drove from there, it’s about a 2 your drive. Typically the fort smith airport will be more expensive than flying in to a bigger one like Tulsa

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I flew in to Tulsa and then drove from there, it’s about a 2 your drive. Typically the fort smith airport will be more expensive than flying in to a bigger one like Tulsa

Check XNA in Fayetteville. It's also usually cheaper and it's just a 1hr drive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Lol take the money and run...

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone interviewing on October 23rd?

For those of you who interviewed how was the atmosphere like?! Did they throw any out of the blue questions at you or were they more generic?

For those of you who interviewed how was the atmosphere like?! Did they throw any out of the blue questions at you or were they more generic?

They make it super relaxed! The staff is wonderful. Just be yourself and be honest and you’ll be just fine. That’s what I did and I got accepted so it worked lol. It’s a closed interview so you have all the opportunity to talk about yourself and enhance your strengths

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interviewing on 9/18? :)

Also, for those who went to the meet and greet, what is the dress code? Are jeans okay or is it business casual?

It says in the email jeans and a t shirt from your undergrad or a volunteer organization that you support.

Anyone interviewing on 9/18? :)

Also, for those who went to the meet and greet, what is the dress code? Are jeans okay or is it business casual?

People wore everything from a full suit to jeans and T-shirt, but if I remember correctly, the students who hosted it were in Tshirts. It's a very casual meet n greet.

I was wondering if a current student could PM. I have been accepted to several other schools, but after my experience with ARCOM, I plan on attending here next year... Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision!

I was wondering if a current student could PM. I have been accepted to several other schools, but after my experience with ARCOM, I plan on attending here next year... Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision!

Let us know your insight. I’d love to hear what you learn and what you’re basing decisions off of

On my interview day they stressed if you did not have a DO letter, your app would be on hold till you did

Thanks for letting us know! I was curious about this DO letter requirement.

Sorry if this has already been asked. What’s the best/cheapest airport to fly into for interviews? And any close to campus hotels you recommend?

Sorry if this has already been asked. What’s the best/cheapest airport to fly into for interviews? And any close to campus hotels you recommend?
Check air bnb for a place to stay, just pick any that are close to the school and are rated as superhosts and you'll be good and save a ton of money plus support the local economy more than giving your money to a juggernaut hotel chain that will buy Paris Hilton another mansion. :D

Question is for med students at ARCOM- What are your thoughts about the overall quality of education you are getting there? what are the clinical rotation sites available ? what were your COMLEX scores ? Thanks.

Question is for med students at ARCOM- What are your thoughts about the overall quality of education you are getting there? what are the clinical rotation sites available ? what were your COMLEX scores ? Thanks.
No one would have taken COMLEX yet.

Reactions: 2 users

I would say the quality of our education is very good (or on par with other medical schools at least) because most of our faculty members have had previous experiences teaching at other medical schools, and so far they've been teaching us pretty good and letting us know what we need to focus on and know for the boards. On top of that we're one of the very few medical schools to introduce ultrasound into our curriculum as well.

For the clinical rotation sites check this link ( Clinical Rotation Sites ). we have over 20 sites already spread between Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and even California. Also Mercy Hospital and Sparks Health system have partnered with the school and are actively trying to open residencies of our own in the area.

We have not taken the COMLEX or USMLE yet. The inaugural class (2nd years now) will be taking it at the end of this year. Check back with us then.

Reactions: 2 users
I asked a random student during an interview about COMLEX. They said they took a practice exam as a class and performed below average. He added that they took it earlier than other schools and that could account for the deficit. I asked staff about dedicated study time and got a non-answer, so I don't know. Regardless, they do not give time for USMLE and seemed against students dedicating time to study for it.

My impression of the school was overall good. Everyone had great things to say and were excited about their future. My biggest negative is that one of the first things said by their VP was that they take quizzes on Monday morning. The point? To make sure we were studying. I might be overly sensitive or he worded it poorly. However, I hope to be treated as an adult and hate being micromanaged.

The area seems to be growing, they have lots of plans for the future and seem fully committed to making it happen. The community, as stated before is firmly behind the school. Can someone explain why this support is so important to a medical student? A tangible reason/benefit I would see as a student?

I did not mean to be so negative as I like the school. However, most people only give the positive side with respect to this process.
Of course they did below average, they haven't had a year of the preclinical curriculum. Thats just stupid to bring up.

About the USMLE. You study for it. You then study for the OMM part of COMLEX.

As for community support, would you rather have a hostile environment for the school/rotations, or a medical community that wants the school there.

I asked a random student during an interview about COMLEX. They said they took a practice exam as a class and performed below average. He added that they took it earlier than other schools and that could account for the deficit. I asked staff about dedicated study time and got a non-answer, so I don't know. Regardless, they do not give time for USMLE and seemed against students dedicating time to study for it.

My impression of the school was overall good. Everyone had great things to say and were excited about their future. My biggest negative is that one of the first things said by their VP was that they take quizzes on Monday morning. The point? To make sure we were studying. I might be overly sensitive or he worded it poorly. However, I hope to be treated as an adult and hate being micromanaged.

The area seems to be growing, they have lots of plans for the future and seem fully committed to making it happen. The community, as stated before is firmly behind the school. Can someone explain why this support is so important to a medical student? A tangible reason/benefit I would see as a student?

I did not mean to be so negative as I like the school. However, most people only give the positive side with respect to this process.
Lol we don't take quizzes on Monday morning (at least not yet for us first years. IDK about the 2nd years). The only quizzes we take are the iRATs and tRATs during TBL sessions. We have clicker questions during lectures, but they don't count towards your grade.

In terms of boards, you do get a dedicated time for board studying in second semester of 2nd year from what I've heard. Plus you get a Kaplan board prep course, and board review question banks. If you're planning on taking the USMLE, I don't think you have to prepare for both exams separately. Usually (from what I've heard) USMLE is tougher, so with preparation, if you can score well on the USMLE, you should also be able to score well on COMLEX by just adding a little bit of OMM studying. That's how I think people that take both exams usually do it.

About our community support, yes I think it's important for us students and we greatly benefit from it. When super generous people and even unknown people can just drop millions of dollars into the school believing in our mission, that speaks volumes. Why do you think ARCOM is one of the cheapest private medical schools in the U.S. while we're able to get all these great resources and technologies, and incorporate ultrasound and clinical experiences early into our curriculum? Another aspect of the benefit of the support will come when you graduate and able to get a residency spot with minimal trouble around the area. Mercy Hospital and Sparks health partnered with the school before the school was even finished building, and hopefully they will get through ACGME accreditation before we graduate. The mercy clinic across the street, which is totally ours to get early clinical experiences and also for when we need primary medical care, is proof of that support. Check our rotation sites, and tell me which other new DO school have that many sites already available to them? Check the status of all new DO schools, and they're all for profit, ARCOM, non-profit (which allowed us to get access to federal loans from the start), why? Support. So yeah, those are benefits for us students I could come up with straight from my head.

Last edited:

Hey you had your interview September 11th right? Think I remember you roasting the med student with us for not having anything negative to say about the school lmao.

By asking a question once, that qualifies as roasting? It's a new school, obviously, there are negatives. Yet every student the school selected to speak with us couldn't give one issue they have had. Everything was/is perfect?! I understand they were selected for their enthusiasm and it worked. I was sold on the school.

However, call me crazy. But, you ought to have an honest assessment of a school. Good, bad, and ugly. Most everyone is too afraid to give their opinions, express concern, or ask real questions. For better or worse, that is not me. Their job is to sell the school and judge me, mine is to judge them.
Haha no I agree with you. Didn't mean roast In a bad way. Just thought it was funny

Please, no need to be hostile/defensive... I am giving my impression based upon my interactions. Why is it stupid to ask a student how their prep is going and report their answer here? They took a practice exam (I guess its a standardized practice test?) and they performed worse than the average. Isn't that relevant as they are compared to those at the same point, but at different schools?

I didn't say hostile. I am simply pointing out that the community is, in fact, supportive and asked a question. Clearly, you cannot see past your biases. You've bought into the program and take honest opinion as an attack on your choices.

Let me reiterate, I am happy with the school.
I don't go here.

Hey guys. So I know ARCOM is a new school. Would anyone choose ARCOM over a school like ACOM? I want to go to my ARCOM interview but with an acceptance I debating spending the travel expenses if I wouldn't choose ARCOM over ACOM even if offered an acceptance at both. I'd appreciate anyone's insight and opinions.

Hey guys. So I know ARCOM is a new school. Would anyone choose ARCOM over a school like ACOM? I want to go to my ARCOM interview but with an acceptance I debating spending the travel expenses if I wouldn't choose ARCOM over ACOM even if offered an acceptance at both. I'd appreciate anyone's insight and opinions.
If that helps, I chose ARCOM over KCOM last year. Some people would consider me crazy, but I don't regret having done it. I totally prefer the location over Kirksville, I like that it's cheaper, so less loans, I like the way the curriculum is structured here (helical curriculum), I like not having to drive home and walking to school every day, and I definitely felt welcome here, and I felt I could be part of something greater here than KCOM. Those were my reasons.

If that helps, I chose ARCOM over KCOM last year. Some people would consider me crazy, but I don't regret having done it. I totally prefer the location over Kirksville, I like that it's cheaper, so less loans, I like the way the curriculum is structured here (helical curriculum), I like not having to drive home and walking to school every day, and I definitely felt welcome here, and I felt I could be part of something greater here than KCOM. Those were my reasons.

When you say that you walk, do most students live a walkable distance to campus? Or is the city small enough that most people just walk/use other modes of transportation instead of driving?

Appreciate the response. The VP said you take an individual quit on Monday then do the same quiz as a team. He specifically stated that the initial quiz was an assessment of your preparation over the weekend. Though I believe you, as you would know. Your answer conflicts with his.

Studying for the USMLE does make sense, do you know how much time you are provided? That is what I asked but didn't get an answer which made me think it wouldn't be a good answer.

Thanks for the explanation on the community support. Though I imagine that rotation spots/residencies would not be unique to ARCOM. Ultrasound is great and I also heard that this is unique to ARCOM, it's not. Many schools offer it. The clinic is in fact a benefit that I would appreciate as a student and would attribute to the community. Most other things like loans etc are not unique to ARCOM, it is more the rule with all schools. The exceptions are those without access to fed loans like BCOM, but I think they are getting it soon.

I'm just trying to give an honest assessment, I never meant to hurt feeling or attack the school.
Yes, you are right. During TBL (team-based learning) sessions, we do take and individual quiz which is the iRAT (individual readiness assessment test) and retake the same quiz as a team, which is the tRAT (team readiness assessment test). The only thing is we don't take those on Mondays, though it is possible that a TBL session might fall on a Monday, but it's not typical, and we only have TBL sessions the week before a BECOM exam.

For the dedicated board studying, I think it was around a month, so for the second semester of second year, I think we get a break really early in May, though you could prolong your study time and take your COMLEX/USMLE late in the summer before you start rotations (but that's if you don't wanna have a nice vacation). Also I think in the second semester of second year, classes end earlier, so we can get more time to study in the day (from what I've heard).

You're right, the GME/residencies that will be created by ARCOM will not be unique to us, but you can be sure that they will prefer and choose more ARCOM students than other students. Look at CUSOM and what they've done in NC by creating residencies for their students allowing them to have 100% placement rate every year. I think it's gonna be the same concept here because Arkansas actually lacks residencies, and is constantly ranked bottom of the pile in healthcare every year. And that is another reason why ARCOM was created.

Again, you are right. The ultrasound program is not unique to ARCOM, but you can count on your fingers how many medical schools in the US actually have such a program, and the consensus was that it actually helps you better for boards, and gets you ahead of other medical students in your rotations and residency.

Last edited:
When you say that you walk, do most students live a walkable distance to campus? Or is the city small enough that most people just walk/use other modes of transportation instead of driving?
They have brand new apartments here on campus for us. And the students that don't live on campus live in other apartment complexes just behind the school or 5 minutes away. The city itself is not too big, but it has a decent size with over 80 thousand people.

I'd say roughly 23kish. Joplin has about the same COL as Ft. Smith

Last edited:
Is anyone else interviewing this Friday 9/21??

I got accepted to ACOM also. Got accepted to ARCOM about 2 weeks ago. They're more or less kind of the same in my opinion when it comes to team-based curriculum, living in a rural setting, and somewhat expensive tuition. The main reason I am choosing ARCOM over ACOM is to be closer to Texas where my friends and family live. You can bet that traveling to and from Dothan is quite expensive during the holiday seasons.

Seriously, thanks for the reply. It's people like you that make me want to go here. If you don't mind me asking, did you take out/need the ~70K (cost of attendance per website) in loans to survive? After the schools cut, how much did you have left over?
After the school cut for my first semester here, I got around 14K back. But remember that the 2K you gonna pay for the deposit will go towards tuition, so I think I will get less back, maybe around 12K, moving forward.

After the school cut for my first semester here, I got around 14K back. But remember that the 2K you gonna pay for the deposit will go towards tuition, so I think I will get less back, maybe around 12K, moving forward.

That's pretty much exactly what I ended up with.

Hey guys I just submitted my secondary. Sorry if this question has been asked before but do we need to do anything after we submit the LOR acknowledgement form? Both of my letters of rec are on AACOMAS do I need to do anything else?