2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejected pre-secondary today s/cpga 3.05-3.1/510-514 mcat/8000+ hours clinical/research experience. Good luck everyone!

Yes, you are right. During TBL (team-based learning) sessions, we do take and individual quiz which is the iRAT (individual readiness assessment test) and retake the same quiz as a team, which is the tRAT (team readiness assessment test). The only thing is we don't take those on Mondays, though it is possible that a TBL session might fall on a Monday, but it's not typical, and we only have TBL sessions the week before a BECOM exam.

For the dedicated board studying, I think it was around a month, so for the second semester of second year, I think we get a break really early in May, though you could prolong your study time and take your COMLEX/USMLE late in the summer before you start rotations (but that's if you don't wanna have a nice vacation). Also I think in the second semester of second year, classes end earlier, so we can get more time to study in the day (from what I've heard).

You're right, the GME/residencies that will be created by ARCOM will not be unique to us, but you can be sure that they will prefer and choose more ARCOM students than other students. Look at CUSOM and what they've done in NC by creating residencies for their students allowing them to have 100% placement rate every year. I think it's gonna be the same concept here because Arkansas actually lacks residencies, and is constantly ranked bottom of the pile in healthcare every year. And that is another reason why ARCOM was created.

Again, you are right. The ultrasound program is not unique to ARCOM, but you can count on your fingers how many medical schools in the US actually have such a program, and the consensus was that it actually helps you better for boards, and gets you ahead of other medical students in your rotations and residency.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I wasn't aware that ARCOM was establishing their own residency programs. Is there information about this online? When will these be established? That makes me very excited about this school even more. I understand they won't be exclusive to ARCOM students but im sure they will have preference for those spots. I guarantee the school would love to boast a 100% match placement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware that ARCOM was establishing their own residency programs. Is there information about this online? When will these be established? That makes me very excited about this school even more. I understand they won't be exclusive to ARCOM students but im sure they will have preference for those spots. I guarantee the school would love to boast a 100% match placement.
https://onespiritblog.com/hot-springs-announces-residency-program/

There is one of them, but I've heard that we're also working with Mercy and Sparks health system as well. So we'll see what happens in a few years.

Got wait listed. Anyone know how many arcom pulls off the wait list usually?
First year it was said that everyone came off the waitlist eventually. I'm not sure if that is fact or simply what was reported on SDN. Last year it seems there was a bunch of movement as well, with some people getting waitlisted in the fall and accepted in December.

Keep the faith, bub!

First year it was said that everyone came off the waitlist eventually. I'm not sure if that is fact or simply what was reported on SDN. Last year it seems there was a bunch of movement as well, with some people getting waitlisted in the fall and accepted in December.

Keep the faith, bub!
Thanks for the info. That's reassuring. Really did like the school though.

I’ll be declining my acceptance here and taking an acceptance at another school so hopefully one of you who got waitlisted gets my spot

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
I’ll be declining my acceptance here and taking an acceptance at another school so hopefully one of you who got waitlisted gets my spot

damn. I was hoping we could go through medical school together too :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It's casual, but my group wore everything from jeans to one person with a full suit and tie. I split the difference and wore a golf polo and khakis :D
samsies

Got the acceptance call today interview 9/21!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted yesterday as well! Interview 9/21
Still can’t believe it!!

I was accepted on ~ September 5th, has anyone received an email yet with all the info?

Keep the faith, bub!
This happened to the point that some previously rejected applicants received skype interview intvites and were actually admitted.

2nd year @ ARCOM here.

FYI to anyone on the fence...
I had previously raved about this school. However, there has been a steady deterioration in student autonomy since the end of the first year. The administration has also become very hostile towards students the last three months. It is to the point I can no longer with good conscience recommend anyone attending this school. "Penile" colony would be a good description of the academics/policies at this point.

2nd year @ ARCOM here.

I had previously raved about this school. However, there has been a steady deterioration in student autonomy since the end of the first year. The administration has also become very hostile towards students the last three months. It is to the point I can no longer with good conscience recommend anyone attending this school. "Penile" colony would be a good description of the academics/policies at this point.
That sucks :(

how bad will it be to re-schedule my CASPer?

2nd year @ ARCOM here.

Can you make some specific elaborations? Personally, I found the staff to be very welcoming the day I interviewed, however, as we were walking to tour the apartments a group of students had just gotten out of class and we were walking alongside them and they seemed pretty distressed, with one student saying they had been being yelled at during class by the instructor. I don't think they meant for the interviewees to hear this conversation.

2nd year @ ARCOM here.

Yes, can you please elaborate... You can PM if you’d like. I’m planning/planned on choosing this school over 4 other acceptances. So your insight would be huge!

Yes, can you please elaborate... You can PM if you’d like. I’m planning/planned on choosing this school over 4 other acceptances. So your insight would be huge!

Yeah... extremely happy with my visit to ARCOM. Please elaborate.

I am assuming they mean the "At Risk" program. I personally think what humble_nous said is a little extreme. 2nd year at ARCOM as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I’m at same situation, if you don’t mind may I ask which schools

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

How long did it take to get your secondary application after they received your primary application?

Hey guys. So I know ARCOM is a new school. Would anyone choose ARCOM over a school like ACOM? I want to go to my ARCOM interview but with an acceptance I debating spending the travel expenses if I wouldn't choose ARCOM over ACOM even if offered an acceptance at both. I'd appreciate anyone's insight and opinions.

I never went on my ACOM interview last year. I don't regret it and it saved me a couple hundred dollars.

too late to submit a secondary here? LM ~63. OOS

too late to submit a secondary here? LM ~63. OOS
It's not. Though the earlier the better, the DO cycle runs longer, so anytime before Thanksgiving is usually ok. Last year I submitted at the end of September, and got accepted before Christmas.

Congrats to those accepted! how long was the turn around time for y'all

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I read somewhere that they don't accept an MCAT below 500 + no subsection scores being less than 125. I was just wondering - is this a preferred thing or will they just screen you out? Just want to make sure because my cars is 124 and I'd like to apply here, but don't want to waste the money. Very OOS but otherwise, have pretty competitive stats. No relation to Arkansas.

Has anyone had success here with an MCAT ~500, with >125 on a subsection? I know you have a 0% chance of getting in if you don't apply, but honestly, do you guys think I should bother? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I read somewhere that they don't accept an MCAT below 500 + no subsection scores being less than 125. I was just wondering - is this a preferred thing or will they just screen you out? Just want to make sure because my cars is 124 and I'd like to apply here, but don't want to waste the money. I am from VA and otherwise, have pretty competitive stats. No relation to Arkansas.

Has anyone had success here with an MCAT ~500, with >125 on a subsection? I know you have a 0% chance of getting in if you don't apply, but honestly, do you guys think I should bother? Thanks!

I have a 499 MCAT, I received 8 II’s and 4 acceptances including this school. So you definitely have a shot but you have to have a good GPA and experience to compensate

I have a 499 MCAT, I received 8 II’s and 4 acceptances including this school. So you definitely have a shot but you have to have a good GPA and experience to compensate

Thank you for sharing! are you OOS?

Hey guys, I read somewhere that they don't accept an MCAT below 500 + no subsection scores being less than 125. I was just wondering - is this a preferred thing or will they just screen you out? Just want to make sure because my cars is 124 and I'd like to apply here, but don't want to waste the money. I am from VA and otherwise, have pretty competitive stats. No relation to Arkansas.

What's your cumulative and science GPAs? Volunteering (clinical and non-clinical) and shadowing hours? Any research?