2018-2019 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II earlier today :)!! OOS, LM 76, submitted 7/25

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if baylor is receptive to ITAs?
If you have been already been invited to interview at Baylor and want to try to coordinate your trip for another Texas interview, then maybe.
The problem with this is that most schools interview on Fri/Sat, are you going to stay in TX for another week? If you would intend to use "I will be in Texas" as a ploy to garner an invitation, then don't go there.

I think the "in the area" request is more commonly used in residency interviews, not med school interviews.

Since Texas is on a different schedule, does that mean interview season ends early for Baylor?

I don't think so Baylor is an AMCAS school even though it's in Texas.
Since Texas is on a different schedule, does that mean interview season ends early for Baylor?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I looked into Super Shuttle for mine, which was $30. That might have been a fluke for my particular day/time, but otherwise a lyft was also $30.

For the pre-interview portal, does anyone know if our picture needs to be a professional photo? Or is just a nice looking headshot okay

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning! Complete early July, LM 72-74

Does anybody know where we can find a visual map of Baylor's curriculum (see example from UTSW below)? I've been looking on Baylor's website but can't find one anywhere. Thanks!

curriculum.png

Does anyone know if Baylor silently rejects people?
Baylor's last interview date is usually the 1st week of February. In the past they have not sent out rejections, but if you don't get an interview by then you will know you are not in the running. Baylor tends to send out a kindly worded "our class is now complete" email in late summer, instead of sending out rejection letters.

Late on posting. II last Thursday (8/4), complete mid/early July. Interview date assigned was in early November. Stats in signature!

Anyone who has interviewed here...what was your experience? Was it open/closed file, how relaxed were the interviews, etc? It's my dream school and interviewing next week. Would be very appreciative of any insight!!

Anyone who has interviewed here...what was your experience? Was it open/closed file, how relaxed were the interviews, etc? It's my dream school and interviewing next week. Would be very appreciative of any insight!!
Please don't stress out over it! It was open file, very relaxed. The interviewers really just want to see if you're a good person behind the stats/essays/ECs. Our conversations were about half application-based, half-personality/behavioral based, but nothing out of left field and no stressful questions/grilling.

Please don't stress out over it! It was open file, very relaxed. The interviewers really just want to see if you're a good person behind the stats/essays/ECs. Our conversations were about half application-based, half-personality/behavioral based, but nothing out of left field and no stressful questions/grilling.

It can vary but for the most part, they are conversational:
My first interviewer grilled me about problems in health care, then asked me to devise a solution to those problems and identify problems with those solutions so it felt kind of MMI-y, but from talking to other interviewers this was not a common experience so take it with a grain of salt.
Second interview was super chill conversation about my app.

Does anybody know where we can find a visual map of Baylor's curriculum (see example from UTSW below)? I've been looking on Baylor's website but can't find one anywhere. Thanks!

curriculum.png
Hey there. Current MS1 here. I don't know of any graphics of our curriculum like your example from UTSW, but I'll explain a little bit of what our curriculum is like. Firstly, we have an 18 month integrated preclinical curriculum. Our first 4 months or so (from late July-December) is what we call FBSM, or Foundations to the Basic Science of Medicine. FBSM is split into two 8-9 week terms that have final exams at the end. Term 1 of FBSM is a lot of basics like biochemistry and cell biology, but since we do have an integrated curriculum, we also mix in some systems stuff along with a pinch of pathophysiology and pharmacology. For example, we went over a lot of basic cardiac stuff and had clinical correlates that gave us a taste of what we will see on the wards. Term 2 gets a little more into systems based stuff, so right now we are in the thick of renal. FBSM also includes gross anatomy and histology. Gross anatomy lasts until the end of term 3 (which is around march). After Christmas, we have 3 more terms to round out MS1 year. These terms cover more systems stuff, infectious disease, head and neck anatomy, and the like. Tbh since I haven't experienced those terms quite yet, I'm not sure what they are really like. Outside of FBSM, we have 2 other classes that meet once a week in the afternoons. One is called CTAPS (Critical Thinking and Problem Solving), which is our team based problem solving class, and PPS (Patient, Physician, and Society), which we colloquially call our 'doctoring' class. CTAPS will end in December, but will be replaced by a more translational research-y type class that I don't know a ton about yet. PPS is the class that matches us with a community doc and allows us to get into the clinics and start seeing patients by about the 3rd or 4th week of MS1. After first year, MS2s really get into the weeds of pathology, pharmacology, etc. and then hit the wards by January. I'll link something to BCM's curriculum page so you can read a little more about it, but this is it in a nutshell. Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Foundational Sciences Curriculum

Reactions: 7 users
II :soexcited: I didn’t think I had a shot here. I’m so excited!!! LizzyM 72 complete early September

Reactions: 5 users
I am OOS but have strong ties to TX and especially TMS and the Houston area. is it worth it to reach out to them with this information?

I am OOS but have strong ties to TX and especially TMS and the Houston area. is it worth it to reach out to them with this information?
Yeah, I think you could include this in an update letter since they do accept updates pre-II. Check the website to make sure

I don't think this information is on the caliber of an update letter. Are you still waiting/hoping for an interview, or have you already had one? All applicants need to send their fall term transcript to their schools, so when you do this you can include an email stating your reasons for being especially interested in Baylor.

I don't think this information is on the caliber of an update letter. Are you still waiting/hoping for an interview, or have you already had one? All applicants need to send their fall term transcript to their schools, so when you do this you can include an email stating your reasons for being especially interested in Baylor.

i haven't received an interview yet but am reaallly hoping for one. thanks, i'll keep that in mind for end of the semester!

I have a question on this subject. I recently had a manuscript get accepted for publication. Would this be significant enough to update the schools I've interviewed at already?

Baylor does not accept updates post II

Baylor does not accept updates post II
correct. Their application FAQ page says:
May I send updates to my application?
Yes, if you have not received an invitation to interview at Baylor then you can send updates to [email protected]. If or when you receive an invitation to interview, updates to your application will not be accepted. Those who have interviewed may send "letters of intent", but not updates to their application.

Of course, if you have something new between your invitation and the actual interview date, it will give you something to talk about at the interview.

iirc, during my interview day, we were told that November 1st was the earliest we could hear back from Baylor. Does anyone remember this or something different?

iirc, during my interview day, we were told that November 1st was the earliest we could hear back from Baylor. Does anyone remember this or something different?
It depends on when you interviewed. We were told at least a month after our interview date

I believe they said that in my day too. Small sample size, but several M1's at Baylor said that it's very small number of people accepted early on and they send far more in December.

Past years earliest reported acceptance have been mid-late November. Have heard from students and from Dr. Johnson that like 80% of admits come in March, definitely not expecting anything Nov 1st

Current student - ~November 15 is typically earliest they accept unless you're a special program like Early Decision or JAMA, but most acceptances come much later. And the "unsupported status" on the portal does indeed mean an acceptance is likely. Everyone freaks out every year. BCM is an amazing place and I'm so happy to be here even as an MS2 with less and less free time. Happy to answer any questions y'all have!

Applying next cycle, anyone know why baylor recommends courses like genetics?
Just to help prepare you for med school coursework and to prove you can handle upper level bio courses. Genetics is also becoming increasingly important in practice so the more exposure you have to it the better you'll understand it and be able to educate your patients about it.

For those flying into George Bush for your interview - how are you getting to BCM? Are there any shuttle services that are helpful?
Probably too late for this, but there's also a bus that goes from the airport to the metro rail and then you can take the metro rail straight south to the TMC. Never done it myself but I know people who have.

Current student - ~November 15 is typically earliest they accept unless you're a special program like Early Decision or JAMA, but most acceptances come much later. And the "unsupported status" on the portal does indeed mean an acceptance is likely. Everyone freaks out every year. BCM is an amazing place and I'm so happy to be here even as an MS2 with less and less free time. Happy to answer any questions y'all have!
Is the "unsupported status" on the Pre-Interview Portal or on the Status Check Portal?

As someone who was frantically checking the portal last year, I have an educated guess of what the changes mean for those also freaking out about it.
I noticed the changes on Tuesdays (which seemed to be when acceptance calls were made, if I remember correctly) in an older browser (one of the readily downloadable old versions of Firefox. I don't know if it's more readily seen by Safari on Macs, but I never noticed it in my up-to-date Firefox or Chrome versions for Windows 10).

I also first noticed the error about three months before I was accepted (in November, and I was accepted in February.) I don't think this means I was already accepted 3 months before they bothered to call, I think it means they opened my file multiple times (which means it's not a guarantee of acceptance, just a guarantee that they looked at you.) I also know of someone who saw the same glitches using a similar alternative browser and never got accepted. I could be wrong though.

But either way I wouldn't sweat over whether some glitch does or doesn't come up at a given time. It's a bit like reading tea leaves, and if my n=1 carries any weight, it certainly won't make you any less anxious whatever the glitch status is.

Good luck to all!

As someone who was frantically checking the portal last year, I have an educated guess of what the changes mean for those also freaking out about it.
I noticed the changes on Tuesdays (which seemed to be when acceptance calls were made, if I remember correctly) in an older browser (one of the readily downloadable old versions of Firefox. I don't know if it's more readily seen by Safari on Macs, but I never noticed it in my up-to-date Firefox or Chrome versions for Windows 10).

I also first noticed the error about three months before I was accepted (in November, and I was accepted in February.) I don't think this means I was already accepted 3 months before they bothered to call, I think it means they opened my file multiple times (which means it's not a guarantee of acceptance, just a guarantee that they looked at you.) I also know of someone who saw the same glitches using a similar alternative browser and never got accepted. I could be wrong though.

But either way I wouldn't sweat over whether some glitch does or doesn't come up at a given time. It's a bit like reading tea leaves, and if my n=1 carries any weight, it certainly won't make you any less anxious whatever the glitch status is.

Good luck to all!

What error is this? When I open my Baylor portal I, for some reason, see the supplemental application again, as if I have to fill it out like the first time.

I've already interviewed here so am just waiting till mid-November for any news, but am curious as to what this error is!

Last edited:
What error is this? When I open my Baylor portal I, for some reason, see the supplemental application again, as if I have to fill it out like the first time.

I've already interviewed here so am just waiting till mid-November for any news, but am curious as to what this error is!
No, it's one of those webpage error messages. I forgot the details of what it looked like, but it's obvious once you see it, not like a minor glitch. Like an error retrieving the account requested or something of that sort.

Sorry to keep beating the dead horse of this thing but what page are you talking about? The file completion page or the secondary application page? I attached pics of my views but nothing seems out of place

I have a spectacularly normal view on both the file completion check and the secondary application. Hopefully it means nothing haha.

Have you interviewed?