2018-2019 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you have to apply for the scholarship or did it just come in a separate email from the acceptance?
Same as the commenter above, no application necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it common for people to send in updates and loi/ does it make much of a difference to admissions if you do or don't??

Is it common for people to send in updates and loi/ does it make much of a difference to admissions if you do or don't??
I was also planning on sending an LOI here and was wondering if it worked out for any current students

Reactions: 4 users
So no deposit or any sort of document/acknowledgement is due until 4/30, right?

It’s been quiet so far in Jan... do we think maybe the adcom met and they’ll make some more calls next week?

It’s been quiet so far in Jan... do we think maybe the adcom met and they’ll make some more calls next week?
Baylor is not in the Texas Match timeline, so don't expect a flurry of activity Feb 1 like the TMDSAS schools. In the past they have sent out a decent batch of offers about two weeks into February.

Reactions: 2 users
Baylor is not in the Texas Match timeline, so don't expect a flurry of activity Feb 1 like the TMDSAS schools. In the past they have sent out a decent batch of offers about two weeks into February.

Baylor's adcoms meet once a month, usually towards the end. Last year, a batch of acceptances went out on the morning of 1/23 I believe. Then in mid February a large wave of acceptances were released. Fingers crossed for all of us!

Reactions: 3 users
Are interviews ii still going out?
I don't think it's very likely (although I can't say 100% certain). I received my II a few weeks ago & they scheduled it for the very last interview session on Feb 1.

So no deposit or any sort of document/acknowledgement is due until 4/30, right?
I think so. In the email she says the deposit and form aren't due until 4/30, but we can submit the form earlier if we want to. Btw, anyone else struggling with deciding between here and UTSW?

Last edited:
It came in a separate e-mail for me. No extra application necessary.
When responding to the scholarship offer, it is also considered non-binding as well, right? More of an acknowledgement that you received the offer and will like to keep it along with your offer if you are committing to the school come April? Sorry if this is a tad neurotic, I am just super shocked to have gotten it and want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

When responding to the scholarship offer, it is also considered non-binding as well, right? More of an acknowledgement that you received the offer and will like to keep it along with your offer if you are committing to the school come April? Sorry if this is a tad neurotic, I am just super shocked to have gotten it and want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Did you get your scholarship offer recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything is that a bad sign? Not sure if people who interviewed on my date got accepted in the round in December...

If I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything is that a bad sign? Not sure if people who interviewed on my date got accepted in the round in December...
I interviewed in September and haven't heard back either. Based on the previous thread, people who interviewed early on were still getting calls later in the acceptance period so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I interviewed in September and haven't heard back either. Based on the previous thread, people who interviewed early on were still getting calls later in the acceptance period so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
they don't release acceptances on a "time" basis since they use the weird rank-list thing. so you could be the first person to interview and be the last person to be accepted in like April. Unfortunately, timing means nothing in terms of waiting on hearing back for Baylor

Reactions: 1 user
wow it really seems like Baylor is dishing out a ton of scholarships this year

Can confirm, I personally interviewed late and was accepted in late March, but there were many people who interviewed early (September/October) and weren't accepted until March or April. Don't count yourself out!

Sadly, as you can probably judge from last year's thread, the waiting process is agonizing. Really, they accept up until what feels like the last minute, so you really can't count yourself out for outright acceptance until right before that April 30th deadline. I would say the majority (or at least a ton) of acceptances go out in that March-April period.

Can confirm, I personally interviewed late and was accepted in late March, but there were many people who interviewed early (September/October) and weren't accepted until March or April. Don't count yourself out!

Sadly, as you can probably judge from last year's thread, the waiting process is agonizing. Really, they accept up until what feels like the last minute, so you really can't count yourself out for outright acceptance until right before that April 30th deadline. I would say the majority (or at least a ton) of acceptances go out in that March-April period.
do you think its worth sending out a LOI?

Reactions: 1 users
do you think its worth sending out a LOI?

I can’t speak to how effective it would be, but I do know the admissions committee will accept it, so I don’t think it would hurt your chances. I was gearing up to write one before I was offered admission. I would say go for it if BCM is truly your top choice school, but I’m not sure to what extent it would factor into your application.

They haven’t done January calls yet right? Last year they did it around this time.... so impatient

Really looking forward to interviewing here soon. Anyone have any tips or advice for an oos student (or just general advice)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really looking forward to interviewing here soon. Anyone have any tips or advice for an oos student (or just general advice)?

When was your application completed; and when did you receive your interview invite? Thanks

When was your application completed; and when did you receive your interview invite? Thanks
don't remember the exact dates, but complete around mid-July. Received interview invite in late December

Has anyone heard back in January about acceptances? Thought maybe early this week they'd be making calls????

Reactions: 1 users

Good luck! Please share on the thread anything Dean Johnson says about acceptances on the thread

Also interviewing on the last date, OOS. Know my chances of an A aren't great, so I may never make it back to Houston.

Any recommendations on what I should do/see with my few days in Houston? Never been to Texas before.

Also interviewing on the last date, OOS. Know my chances of an A aren't great, so I may never make it back to Houston.

Any recommendations on what I should do/see with my few days in Houston? Never been to Texas before.
Museum district right near the medical center

It may sound like generic advice, but hopefully it'll help! Be able to cite specific things about the program that are appealing to you, and why. Be open and be yourself, know how to talk about the things you're passionate about and really lean into that. Highlight the things that make you unique. Be confident, but make sure you still exercise humility. Be able to articulate why you want to go into medicine and what your vision is for yourself. If they ask about specific plans career-wise, tell them what you're interested in and why, and add that you will be keeping an open mind. (This shows that you've given thought to it without limiting your prospects.) When I told my interviewers at the time what specialty I was interested in, both of them casually asked me how many years after medical school it would take (residency, fellowship, etc), so make sure you have the knowledge about whatever you talk about. Something I was told in my practice interviews was that I needed to be better at verbally wrapping up a thought, so keep that in mind.

In general, this interview is pretty low stress. You spend a lot of the day with students who will show you around the school and (hopefully) put you at ease. Your interviewers are either 2 faculty or one faculty/one student. I didn't get any grilling questions about health policy or current health events, but it can't hurt to stay informed, especially if the subject is something you're passionate about. Many of my friends told me that they didn't feel their interview here was the best, but they still got in. When my first interviewer said goodbye to the student before me, he was lively and laughing, but he was very stoic and yawned several times during my interview, which worried me a ton. Don't overthink it in retrospect, your interviewers are looking for how to sell you to the adcom.

Last tidbit, make sure to send thank you notes in a timely manner! Within a couple days, send an email to thank the interviewer for their time, cite a specific part of your interview that will help them remember you, and use the thank you note to further expand on any questions you think you may have flubbed ("I've given some more thought to your question regarding X, and I've realized that -").

Best of luck to you! If you want any other advice, feel free to reach out!

EDIT: only just realized you're an OOS student. I was also an OOS student who interviewed on the final interview day. They're going to ask you why Baylor, specifically "what made you want to come out to Texas?" If you're like me and don't have any Texas ties, focus on how compatible the program is to what you want in a medical school. (I focused a lot on the collaborative culture that we have, as well as the amazing opportunities with being located in the med center, etc.) Don't focus as much on the geography, but they will likely ask what makes you want to go to a med school in a place so far from home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It may sound like generic advice, but hopefully it'll help! Be able to cite specific things about the program that are appealing to you, and why. Be open and be yourself, know how to talk about the things you're passionate about and really lean into that. Highlight the things that make you unique. Be confident, but make sure you still exercise humility. Be able to articulate why you want to go into medicine and what your vision is for yourself. If they ask about specific plans career-wise, tell them what you're interested in and why, and add that you will be keeping an open mind. (This shows that you've given thought to it without limiting your prospects.) When I told my interviewers at the time what specialty I was interested in, both of them casually asked me how many years after medical school it would take (residency, fellowship, etc), so make sure you have the knowledge about whatever you talk about. Something I was told in my practice interviews was that I needed to be better at verbally wrapping up a thought, so keep that in mind.

In general, this interview is pretty low stress. You spend a lot of the day with students who will show you around the school and (hopefully) put you at ease. Your interviewers are either 2 faculty or one faculty/one student. I didn't get any grilling questions about health policy or current health events, but it can't hurt to stay informed, especially if the subject is something you're passionate about. Many of my friends told me that they didn't feel their interview here was the best, but they still got in. When my first interviewer said goodbye to the student before me, he was lively and laughing, but he was very stoic and yawned several times during my interview, which worried me a ton. Don't overthink it in retrospect, your interviewers are looking for how to sell you to the adcom.

Last tidbit, make sure to send thank you notes in a timely manner! Within a couple days, send an email to thank the interviewer for their time, cite a specific part of your interview that will help them remember you, and use the thank you note to further expand on any questions you think you may have flubbed ("I've given some more thought to your question regarding X, and I've realized that -").

Best of luck to you! If you want any other advice, feel free to reach out!

EDIT: only just realized you're an OOS student. I was also an OOS student who interviewed on the final interview day. They're going to ask you why Baylor, specifically "what made you want to come out to Texas?" If you're like me and don't have any Texas ties, focus on how compatible the program is to what you want in a medical school. (I focused a lot on the collaborative culture that we have, as well as the amazing opportunities with being located in the med center, etc.) Don't focus as much on the geography, but they will likely ask what makes you want to go to a med school in a place so far from home.
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate all of the advice!!!

Got the phone call this morning, accepted. See y'all in August.

Reactions: 8 users