2018-2019 Boston University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Educational History":
  • Did you go on to college directly after high school?* Yes/No. If no, explain (1400 characters)
  • Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?* (Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. Yes/No. If no, explain: For example, attending post bac or other graduate program, working, traveling, etc. (1400 characters)
  • If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)
  • Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters)
"Optional Section":
  • Optional Essay: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters)
  • Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center Connection: List any personal connection(s) you have at Boston University School of Medicine or Boston Medical Center, or any other part of Boston University. Please provide Name, Department, and Relationship below (2-3 sentences):(200 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Boston University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know is BU is true rolling admissions? I couldn’t find the first day they sent acceptances last cycle anywhere.

Does anyone know is BU is true rolling admissions? I couldn’t find the first day they sent acceptances last cycle anywhere.

Did you look through last cycle’s school specific thread? There are dozens of posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you look through last cycle’s school specific thread? There are dozens of posts.
Lol true thank you. Running on low sleep :laugh:

Edit: January 4 was the first day people were accepted last year's cycle.

Last edited:
Last year's secondary had the following optional prompt:

This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 char)

Do you think this applies only to re-applicants at BU, or re-applicants in general? I am leaning towards the latter but thought I'd get others' opinions.

hey! i am pre-writing secondaries right now, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if people actually wrote anything for this prompt and, if so, what:
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine.

Because I could do a why BU essay but otherwise I am kind of at a loss for what I would put here.
Thanks!

hey! i am pre-writing secondaries right now, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if people actually wrote anything for this prompt and, if so, what:
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine.

Because I could do a why BU essay but otherwise I am kind of at a loss for what I would put here.
Thanks!
If you look at last year's thread, you will see that a lot of people left it blank. With all the optional essays, I really think you shouldn't try to shoehorn something in there. If you truly feel you have something important to say then write a response, but don't feel obligated to do so. It truly is optional.

I feel that I addressed everything in my application and will leave it blank myself.

Last year's secondary had the following optional prompt:

This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 char)

Do you think this applies only to re-applicants at BU, or re-applicants in general? I am leaning towards the latter but thought I'd get others' opinions.
Reapps to BU

"Educational History":
  • Did you go on to college directly after high school?* Yes/No. If no, explain (1400 characters)
  • Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?* (Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. Yes/No. If no, explain: For example, attending post bac or other graduate program, working, traveling, etc. (1400 characters)
  • If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)
  • Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters)
"Optional Section":
  • Optional Essay: Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters)
  • Boston University School of Medicine/Boston Medical Center Connection: List any personal connection(s) you have at Boston University School of Medicine or Boston Medical Center, or any other part of Boston University. Please provide Name, Department, and Relationship below (2-3 sentences):(200 characters)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they screen? Haven't received one yet

Just got mine at 10:50 PM eastern. They really stress that their 'optional essay' is not completed by most applicants. Does this mean I shouldn't write something unless I have something really important to say? lol

+1 received. AMCAS not verified yet. Their website says that they send secondary to everyone - so I'm sure they will come soon!

What would I write for: "Use the additional space provided to elaborate on your reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu" if my reason is that I don't have a Health Professions Advisory Committee at my university?

That reason is already one of the options in the drop-down menu, which I selected. It might be redundant to re-type this out, but they want me to "elaborate on my reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu". Any suggestions?

For the letters of recommendation, I went with the 3 letter option (2 science, 1 applicant). My 2 sciences include one of my anatomy profs and my research supervisor. Does my research supervisor count as 'science'? Or do they want a science prof that has taught me in lecture?

What would I write for: "Use the additional space provided to elaborate on your reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu" if my reason is that I don't have a Health Professions Advisory Committee at my university?

That reason is already one of the options in the drop-down menu, which I selected. It might be redundant to re-type this out, but they want me to "elaborate on my reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu". Any suggestions?

Also wondering this

How do you guys feel about naming a family friend in the "Personal Connection" section (ie parents' friend)? It's not someone I'm super close with, but "personal connection" is pretty vague, and they would definitely support my application. Just don't want to come off as reaching.

I got these emails asking me to set up an account and pay for the application but there's no link to pay for it. Why did Boston send out all these emails when they literally could've just sent out one website link after they received our primaries? This is an incredible waste of time.

Other people like me waiting for the secondary; I emailed and they said they haven't sent it to me yet as they're sending it in batches

EDIT: just got the invite

Last edited:
For the question about educational history, do I just focus on my education and not ECs? (I know it probably sounds dumb but all the strezz is causing me to question everything lol)

Is anyone experiencing any issues submitting the pre-registration form?

EDIT: Resolved!

Last edited:
What are some examples of things people are including in the "narrative timeline for educational history" section? I'm feeling pressure to include something, but my learning experiences were also pretty traditional. The only thing I can think of mentioning is how I went to Catholic elementary, middle, and high schools, and how I applied to diverse college because they were so homogenous.

Hi, can anyone tell me how we can access the supplemental application in BU Applicantlink page? Thank you!

Got the secondary!

Anyone thinking about skipping the "narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history" question? I feel obligated to answer it but I don't know if not doing so would be a disadvantage

Got the secondary!

Anyone thinking about skipping the "narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history" question? I feel obligated to answer it but I don't know if not doing so would be a disadvantage
I absolutely skipped that question lol. I really didn't feel it was relevant. Definitely do not force it because that imo will look worse. I did answer the optional prompt though.

Submitted!

Reactions: 1 user
How does the grid work?

Does "Total lecture only semesters" = total number of lectures taken either at university or AP? A Gen Chem. 1 course that is its own course and has a lab you sign up for separately?

Is "Total Lecture with Lab semesters" the number of semesters you took a course where the lecture and lab are combined? My physics classes were 5 credits and included the lab, I did not sign up separately. Does that go here? Also my organic lab was a lecture and a lab for 3 credits, does that go here?

Is "Total Lab Only semesters" all of the labs I signed up for separately? I.e. the Gen. Chem 1 lab for 1 credit?

Then, is "Total Number semesters taken at preferred institution" all of the credits I took at my university minus any AP credits I would have received that fulfill the requirements?

Thanks!

Anyone else having trouble logging in right now?
I tried to save and got this message:
An unexpected error occurred. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Error: 1227093 has been logged.

I tried to save and got this message:
An unexpected error occurred. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Error: 1227093 has been logged.
Same. Did a yellow box show up to detail the error?