2018-2019 Boston University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Msar says the incoming class is 120, that's a pretty big decrease from 160. Any current students know about this?

I don't think that number includes the linkage programs and etc. that round the class to 160. Its always been around 120 new admits.

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdrew from BU after getting off the waitlist at my top choice! Hope one of you lovely people gets the spot!! I went to undergrad at BU and BMC is such an incredible place. Best of luck to you all!
Also just withdrew. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
So are we sure the rent is $1025 (monthly $275 grant) and not $1277 (annual grant)? I emailed the housing contact now just to make sure, but I don't know if he'll get back to me in time to decide whether to mail in my deposit today.

It's also non-refundable after April 30 and I'm on many waitlists... I know I shouldn't bank on getting off one, but I don't want to blow $550 into the wind either.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are we sure the rent is $1025 (monthly $275 grant) and not $1277 (annual grant)? I emailed the housing contact now just to make sure, but I don't know if he'll get back to me in time to decide whether to mail in my deposit today.

It's also non-refundable after April 30 and I'm on many waitlists... I know I shouldn't bank on getting off one, but I don't want to blow $550 into the wind either.

I've only seen the $1300 number before the $275 credit. I was told from students the cost of MSR housing is not expected to go up more than $50/mo

Looking for confirmation: tuition deposit of $500 is due April 30th, right?

Looking for confirmation: tuition deposit of $500 is due April 30th, right?

Yes, per the acceptance packet:

Reactions: 1 user
I've only seen the $1300 number before the $275 credit. I was told from students the cost of MSR housing is not expected to go up more than $50/mo

Got confirmation from the housing dude. Rent is $1025/mo after the $275 credit. That seems like a pretty solid deal.

Is this a school that rejects people post II or puts everyone on the waitlist?

Last year's acceptance info from us news says they interviewed 1037 people and accepted 621 (very low yield considering the class size is 160). MSAR says they typically waitlist 300 people per cycle.

So that makes it sound like they waitlist everyone that doesn't get accepted but there were like 3 people in this thread who said they got rejected. They probably waitlist most non-accepted applicants but not all of them.

It’s different this year with the new traffic rules. Way more people are getting waitlisted than usual to prevent them from over enrolling. We’ll only know come April 30th, but you can’t make predictions based on past years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s different this year with the new traffic rules. Way more people are getting waitlisted than usual to prevent them from over enrolling. We’ll only know come April 30th, but you can’t make predictions based on past years.

Also they only interviewed about 900 this year to accept ~40% of people

Source: my interviewer and everyone I spoke to in admissions

This doesn't apply to every school though. I definitely interviewed at schools that implied that they'd stick to data from previous years to determine yield.

Does anyone know when we should have a roommate by for MSR sign ups? Those corner rooms were really nice!

This doesn't apply to every school though. I definitely interviewed at schools that implied that they'd stick to data from previous years to determine yield.

When did I say every school? I said you won’t know for certain either way until after April 30th.

When did I say every school? I said you won’t know for certain either way until after April 30th.
You made a pretty overgeneralizing statement lol. If you're talking specifically about BU, I wouldn't be able to confirm whether your information is correct or not. Dr. Goodell was very transparent and told us on interview day that there has been little WL movement for the past few years (basically implying that those who are waitlisted shouldn't get their hopes up too much). She didn't mention anything about whether they would be waitlisting more people than usual or not, but this was pretty early on in the interview cycle. But best of luck anyways to those who are still on the waitlist!

Withdrew my acceptance. Really tough decision, as this is such an awesome place and I would have loved it, but I felt like another school was the better all-around fit for my circumstances. Hope this opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew and gave up my Dean's scholarship. Seems like a great school, best of luck to everyone on the WL!

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew acceptance yesterday! This school is great, hope it goes to one of you on the WL! :D

Had to make the very tough decision to withdraw here, but there’s another deans scholarship out there for you guys! Amazing school

This might be a silly question, but I was traveling and mailed my tuition deposit a late- so that I don't believe it came to them today. Is this grounds for my removal?

Is this grounds for removal? By letter of the law, technically yes. Are you going to call them tomorrow, explain to them the situation and will they be super accommodating and tell you it's no big deal, very highly likely.

Reactions: 3 users
Is this grounds for removal? By letter of the law, technically yes. Are you going to call them tomorrow, explain to them the situation and will they be super accommodating and tell you it's no big deal, very highly likely.
Thank you so much- I’ve left messages tonight and I’ll be sure to call them tomorrow, of course! Thanks

Has anyone started hitting people up to live with in the MSR?

Just in case anyone was wondering, apparently a couple of spots opened up so there will be some waitlist movement this year!

Wow, what a boss.
I would also like to add that, historically, many/ most of the waitlist spots are filled by the BU MAMS students. I’ve heard this from multiple reliable people at BU.

One of the MAMS students I met on interview day said the same thing

I got into a school close to my family, so I made the tough choice to withdraw my acceptance here!

Has anyone committed to BU applied for a grad plus loan? I know BU has their own application form for it but I can only find the one dated last year- I'm planning on calling tomorrow but was hoping one of you already had :)

Sooo I contacted them and they informed me that there is already waitlist movement happening?! now I’m freaking out lol. This is my dream school, good luck to everyone else on the WL too.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
MSTP or regular MD? And can I ask which school you chose?

I withdrew from the MD program and will be attending an MSTP. I was going to try to get into the dual degree program as an internal applicant at BU, so this makes my life a bit easier as well.

I'd prefer not to ID the school since only two or three people get off the waitlist at these programs and it would make my identity pretty obvious.

I withdrew from the MD program and will be attending an MSTP. I was going to try to get into the dual degree program as an internal applicant at BU, so this makes my life a bit easier as well.

I'd prefer not to ID the school since only two or three people get off the waitlist at these programs and it would make my identity pretty obvious.

Did you attend second look? There was someone I met who I was really looking forward to be friends with but she mentioned that she really wanted an MSTP program :(

Did you attend second look? There was someone I met who I was really looking forward to be friends with but she mentioned that she really wanted an MSTP program :(

I did attend second look, but I am a guy so I'm not the person you are thinking of!

Did anyone else on the waitlist holding an acceptance at another school get an email with the subject "BUSM Waitlist"?

I did not get anything but hold another acceptance. What did it say?
It was saying that their AMCAS records indicate I’m holding another acceptance, and if I have selected CTE at that school I should withdraw from BU. If I would like to remain under consideration and have done PTE at the other school then I am all set.

There was waitlist movement today. I saw someone posting on twitter saying that one of there family members got accepted an hour ago. Idk what their stats were.

All it says in the tweet is "Excited for my oldest niece. She just got accepted to Boston University Medical School! Tuition/Books/Housing comes to $87,000 per year!"

• Wow
Just got the call an hour ago; accepted off the waitlist. This is my first acceptance. Hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 4 users