2018-2019 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Verified 5/23
TX resident
I really like the mission and vision of this school.

Reactions: 1 user
Verified 6/11

Received an email from BCOM today (6/20) saying that they received my application and will begin preliminary review

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2' received today

Secondary received. Some changes since the last cycle; they took away the ethical scenario question and added this:

Answer one (1) of these questions:

-Discuss a time in which you failed at something other than an academic experience and how you responded to that failure. Reflecting back, would you change how you initially responded? Do you feel like you learned anything from the experience?

-What does advocacy mean to you? Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone different from yourself. How do you see this linked to your role as a physician and what risks, if any, do you feel might be associated with your choice to be an advocate?

Last edited:
6/22 Secondary Received

Another interesting change:

The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned.

6/22 Secondary Received

The following question is optional and will not impact your admissions decision.
Please provide us with a video of no more than 2 minutes duration that will help us understand you better. Alternatively, you may submit a physical exhibit (art piece, music, sculpture, etc.) to the BCOM Admissions Office. To submit the video, please paste into the box below a valid YouTube video URL created by yourself. The video will need to be marked Public or Public not listed. It cannot be marked as Private. Note that all material submitted is property of BCOM and will not be returned.
So does not doing this video make you look bad at all?

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

NM resident, verified today (6/22).

Do any of you guys have word/character counts for the secondary prompts?

So does not doing this video make you look bad at all?

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile
No it will not. When I submitted my secondary last cycle, I chose to forgo the optional question. I received an II and was accepted into their matriculating class.

Reactions: 2 users
Video done and secondary submitted 6/24. Commence thumb twiddling.

Just applied. OOS with 3.83 undergraduate GPA. 3.41 vcom postbacc gap and 495 mcat. Any thoughts? Retaking mcat in a few days

Members don't see this ad :)
They watched my video the day after I sent my secondary, I know that much. I saw from Youtube analytics that someone from New Mexico watched the whole length...must be them.

I spoke to admissions the yesterday, they said II's won't go out for at least another few weeks
Thanks for letting us know. A few more weeks, huh? Last year the 1st wave of IIs came around by now. Has there been a larger influx of apps this time, or they're changing up their review process? I'm just speculating.

Thanks for letting us know. A few more weeks, huh? Last year the 1st wave of IIs came around by now. Has there been a larger influx of apps this time, or they're changing up their review process? I'm just speculating.
I think there’s a larger influx of apps!

They watched my video the day after I sent my secondary, I know that much. I saw from Youtube analytics that someone from New Mexico watched the whole length...must be them.
how to you find this out, is it something easy that can be relayed here or pm?

how to you find this out, is it something easy that can be relayed here or pm?
On Youtube, you can track views on videos uploaded to your channel. Go to "my channel," "customize channel," "video manager," and click on "- views" to the right of the video you want to check. This will take you to the analytics page, where you can see viewers' geography, watch time, and traffic source. Hope that helps.

Anyone else have issues where the letters weren’t on letterhead? I’ve gotten an interview invite from another school so didn’t realize this was an issue but apparently I have to get my letter writer to resubmit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else have issues where the letters weren’t on letterhead? I’ve gotten an interview invite from another school so didn’t realize this was an issue but apparently I have to get my letter writer to resubmit

Argh I got an email from BCOM about that yesterday. No other MD or DO school brought this up, but I asked my letter writer to correct and resend it. Just to give me peace of mind...

I've watched so many videos but none of them really stood out to me for the optional portion. I really have an idea of what I want to do for a physical exhibit though. It would be music related due to my background. Anyone else going this route?

Does BCOM do a fee waiver?
They do. "Note: Students approved for a fee waiver by AACOMAS will automatically be eligible for a waiver from BCOM; however, the BCOM fee will need to be paid at the time of the Supplemental submission and following fee waiver status is confirmed by AACOMAS via the list sent to the COMs, a refund will be issued to applicant."

Here's a link to the above info: How to Apply

If I'm planning on sharing artwork with bcom can I get away with sending a picture of my sculpture? Their app makes it sound like we're supposed to mail them our work.

If I'm planning on sharing artwork with bcom can I get away with sending a picture of my sculpture? Their app makes it sound like we're supposed to mail them our work.
Hey fellow artist here! If it's sculpture, it would totally be reasonable to send a picture and not the actual piece. That's still mailing them the work, in a way. I'm more of an inked and Photoshop illustration artist and even I wouldn't send my original, but a print of it.

Was it because the letter writers contact info wasn’t on the letter or does the letter need to have the company logo? Thank you!

Was it because the letter writers contact info wasn’t on the letter or does the letter need to have the company logo? Thank you!

Both. I got dinged for 2 of my letters by separate authors

Oh.. these are hard. I like the old ones better haha.

Both. I got dinged for 2 of my letters by separate authors

Last year one of my docs didn't sign with his credentials, so I had to resend. Make sure they actually sign MD or DO. Just typing it isn't enough.

Submitted my app this week! Beautiful location so I am hoping I get an II here! Goodluck to everyone :highfive:

6/22 Secondary Received

What is Public Not listed? is that just unlisted?

Does anyone know if i can make my video as "unlisted" where you can access it with a link ?

Did you get an email?
Yep! Got it this morning "
Thank you for designating Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine to receive your AACOMAS application. The Office of Admissions has received your application and will begin the preliminary review process. The interest in BCOM has been outstanding as many people are excited about this opportunity. During the next several months, some applicants will be selected to move forward in the admissions review process and will be asked to submit a BCOM Supplemental Application.

As you wait to hear from us, you can learn more about the unique BCOM-NMSU, public-private partnership at bcomnm.org. BCOM is the first investor/public sector partnership of its kind in the history of medical schools. Affiliated with New Mexico State University, BCOM's students can enjoy the academic and student life benefits that come with a major public research university; including diverse biomedical, engineering and public health research opportunities, collegiate and intramural athletics, student clubs and organizations, housing, health services and meals.

We appreciate your patience as we review your documents. ""

Did anyone receive a confirmation email or something after submitting supplemental app and payment?

Does anyone know if you can send in the secondary and then submit the optional portion after?

Does anyone know if you can send in the secondary and then submit the optional portion after?
I don't think that's possible if you're going to send a video, but that would have be what happens if you plan on mailing a physical exhibit.

How did you all address the question asking about completed recommended coursework? Did you list the courses you've completed or talk about what you learned from each course? Thank you in advance!

How did you all address the question asking about completed recommended coursework? Did you list the courses you've completed or talk about what you learned from each course? Thank you in advance!
I just listed mine

How long after? I just submitted mine and didn't get anything

You won’t get a completed email after you submit your secondary. They’re talking about the email after submitting the primary app.

Reactions: 1 users
How long after? I just submitted mine and didn't get anything
Oops. Just like coffeeDO said, I meant to say I only received an email after the primary, but did not receive an email confirmation after I submitted the secondary, nor a receipt of payment.