2018-2019 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now! First one I’m so excited! Anyone else interviewing sept 17th?

Reactions: 1 user
II today, didn't do the vid either

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today. The wording of that email scared me a bit. Thought it was a rejection at first

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you! The anxiety is killin' me. I (think) was complete on 7/25, and nothing. eekkk!

I have a few things I would like to say to all applicants or prospective applicants, based on my experience last cycle with BCOM.

I was in the Middle East for the military when I got my interview invite. In the 24 hours it took me to get approval to go home on leave for the interview day of my choice, all the spots filled up. You see I couldn't simply "choose my day" given that I was on the other side of the world and needed to get several levels of approval to go home. I needed to know for sure they could accommodate me for certain on a day, prior to getting approval to go on leave, and I couldn't choose a day, unless I knew I was approved for leave! Not a good situation. I called BCOM and I was stunned by how helpful and considerate they were. I told them how by the time I got approved to go home for the available interview day, the spots had been filled. After explaining the quandary I was in, my contact in the office of Admissions actually said these words; "we need to make this easy for you." They lived up to that promise. They didn't have to, but they did.

The interview day was well organized, and was an exciting and enjoyable experience. The interviewers really knew who I was, and it was apparent they had put just as much effort in preparing for my interview as I had. They really did everything they could to put us at ease, and I walked out of the building that day with a smile from ear to ear. The lunch was really tasty too!

I was wait-listed, and many months passed until I was accepted. However in the intervening months my life had changed considerably due to the emergence of a significant family issue demanding my attention in the coming months. Once again, the staff at BCOM approached my issue with empathy, and they accepted my request to defer my enrollment to the next year. Once again, they didn't have to, but they did.

From a modern and immaculate campus, to a friendly, helpful, and thoughtful staff, a personal approach to admissions, and a wonderful vision for the future, this school has left me speechless. I'm so excited about the time I will spend at BCOM I can barely contain myself.

One last note, as this is my first and likely last post ever; take it easy with the forums. In my observation, although this may be a collaborative if not seductive environment to discuss the process we are all going through, you won't find any answers here. Not the important ones anyway. At best you may just feed your anxiety, at worst you may encounter charlatans, or even toxicity. Please be careful. Follow your heart.

Feel free to PM me, but any request to talk about details of the interview will be ignored. Oh, and don't ask for stats.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 16 users
Thank you! The anxiety is killin' me. I (think) was complete on 7/25, and nothing. eekkk!
Same here...submitted my secondary with everything complete same day on 7/26 but I've heard nothing. :( Hope we hear something soon....it's painful

Same here...submitted my secondary with everything complete same day on 7/26 but I've heard nothing. :( Hope we hear something soon....it's painful
very painful! Especially since some people hear back quickly. I suppose it is better than a rejection. Fingers crossed we will both get lucky soon! :)

II today. I did send in something I made. Excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today. LizzyM 62. Complete 7/17. I've also interviewed here before. Didn't do the optional thing this time.

What were your stats? And congrats!
MCAT 505-510. GPA 3.8, sGPA 3.7. Lots of clinical and volunteering. I really personalized this secondary to the school and definitely agree with their mission.

II today, I did the optional portion of the secondary.

Withdrawing my interview invite here. I hope one of you gets to fill my place and gets accepted here! Good luck to you all

Did anyone receive a “complete” email after submitting secondary? Submitted 4 weeks ago and silence since :(

Did anyone receive a “complete” email after submitting secondary? Submitted 4 weeks ago and silence since :(

did you do a video? cause you can check to see if they have viewed it through your you tube account.. I submitted two weeks ago and they never sent me a complete email and they haven't watched my video yet either

I’m pretty sure they don’t send complete emails. I emailed them a question and they responded saying my application was in que to be reviewed on the 14th and to wait 2-4 weeks to hear back

did you do a video? cause you can check to see if they have viewed it through your you tube account.. I submitted two weeks ago and they never sent me a complete email and they haven't watched my video yet either
I didn't get a complete email either. I submitted on 7/25... radio silence here

I have an II, I never did a video or anything like it. I did not receive a complete email. I just submitted my secondary and a few weeks later received my II.

Anyone signed up for the October date?

I have an II, I never did a video or anything like it. I did not receive a complete email. I just submitted my secondary and a few weeks later received my II.
When were you complete?

Does anyone know when the first class is set to graduate from here?
Also, what's the deal with pre-accreditation status? When would they get full accreditation?

Also, what's the deal with pre-accreditation status? When would they get full accreditation?
My brother is part of the first class and he is in M3 right now, so he will graduate 2020. I thought that they were already accredited...? ICOM is by Burrell as well and is in pre-accreditation so I am not sure why BCOM would not be accredited by now.

Accreditation doesn't happen until they graduate their first class. Pre-accreditation just means that Burrell is on the path to being accredited and are doing the right things so that they do become accredited. The biggest effect this has on students is eligibility for federal loans which require a school to have full-time student enrolled for two full years. Burrell is likely in the process of applying for federal loan eligibility right now, but won't be fully accredited until 2020.

My brother is part of the first class and he is in M3 right now, so he will graduate 2020. I thought that they were already accredited...? ICOM is by Burrell as well and is in pre-accreditation so I am not sure why BCOM would not be accredited by now.
Wow, that’s really cool. How does he like it? I’m not 100% on the order of boards but I know level/step 1 is taken at the end of year two, how did his class do?
Also, on their site it still says pre-accreditation so I guess it has to do with what la_danseuse said about the process for obtaining full accreditation.

Also, also, what do you mean ICOM is by Burrell?

Last edited:
Accreditation doesn't happen until they graduate their first class. Pre-accreditation just means that Burrell is on the path to being accredited and are doing the right things so that they do become accredited. The biggest effect this has on students is eligibility for federal loans which require a school to have full-time student enrolled for two full years. Burrell is likely in the process of applying for federal loan eligibility right now, but won't be fully accredited until 2020.

Ahh I see, thanks. So assuming you’d matriculate for 2019 entry, you’d have to take personal loans until they reached full accreditation?

Ahh I see, thanks. So assuming you’d matriculate for 2019 entry, you’d have to take personal loans until they reached full accreditation?
All of this is somewhat confusing, but after two years the new school can apply for federal loan eligibility and then, depending on how long the approval takes, the students will be eligible to take out federal loans even though the school isn't officially fully accredited. So, since Burrell is beginning its third year they are likely in the process of applying for federal loan eligibility right now and, assuming you matriculate in 2019, I'd imagine that you would be able to take out federal loans at that time, even though Burrell won't be accredited until 2020 when the first class graduates.

All of this is somewhat confusing, but after two years the new school can apply for federal loan eligibility and then, depending on how long the approval takes, the students will be eligible to take out federal loans even though the school isn't officially fully accredited. So, since Burrell is beginning its third year they are likely in the process of applying for federal loan eligibility right now and, assuming you matriculate in 2019, I'd imagine that you would be able to take out federal loans at that time, even though Burrell won't be accredited until 2020 when the first class graduates.

Oh I get it now.. Thanks for this, man. I had no idea how any of this worked!

Wow, that’s really cool. How does he like it? I’m not 100% on the order of boards but I know level/step 1 is taken at the end of year two, how did his class do?
Also, on their site it still says pre-accreditation so I guess it has to do with what la_danseuse said about the process for obtaining full accreditation.

Also, also, what do you mean ICOM is by Burrell?

My brother really likes it, not sure how they did on the boards though.

As for ICOM, the guy who opened the school "Burrell" (thats his last name) opened the one in Idaho as well.

My brother really likes it, not sure how they did on the boards though.

As for ICOM, the guy who opened the school "Burrell" (thats his last name) opened the one in Idaho as well.

Oh!! Woah I had no idea lol
Glad your brother is enjoying his time there!

Has anyone heard anything regarding admissions decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Was also curious about this. Do they notify us of their decision by email or phone call?

As far as I know they notify by phone one week after you interview. I was just curious because I know I wasn’t the first group to interview so I was assuming someone should’ve gotten a decision already? It’s been kind of dead in this thread this entire cycle so far

For those who interviewed, how was the whole process and experience?

I had a good experience, burrell is my top choice since I live 45 minutes from the school. The staff is nice and the facilities are brand new and state of the art. Another thing I liked is that students have access to all facilities on the NMSU campus

AHHHH I waited for like 2 months to hear back, and one of my LORs wasn't signed. sad day. hope the turn around won't be forever now:(

Got a II today. Interviewing here on Oct. 26, anyone else going?