2018-2019 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!! Interviewed 09/14. I thought I failed my interview and was expecting the worst. Incredibly excited because this is my second cycle and BCOM is beyond my dream school.
congrats! did you just get a call or email?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed...what was the format of the interview? panel or MMI? Did you get any open-ended type questions?

Accepted!! Interviewed 09/14. I thought I failed my interview and was expecting the worst. Incredibly excited because this is my second cycle and BCOM is beyond my dream school.

Congrats!! See you in class next year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I got my secondary m(503. s 3.42, c3.33).

I'm not Hispanic or native American. I'm just wondering how this will affect my chances? A lot of the II and accepted people have not commented on this. I'm writing my secondaries, and I feel like I have to address this somehow.

Also, the lack of Federal loans is a little scary. Does this make the financial situation here just as risky, as that with Carribean schools?

I'm not Hispanic or native American. I'm just wondering how this will affect my chances? A lot of the II and accepted people have not commented on this. I'm writing my secondaries, and I feel like I have to address this somehow.

Also, the lack of Federal loans is a little scary. Does this make the financial situation here just as risky, as that with Carribean schools?

I’m not a minority either and I’ve been accepted. I do however live in the southwest area and have a lot of experience with serving the people of this region, and am passionate about staying here. They place heavy emphasis on an applicants passion for the underserved, specifically in the southwest region

Also, they’re in the process of being able to offer federal student loans, so we should be good for next fall

I definitely wouldn’t compare BCOM to the carib schools. They will become accredited, it’s just a process they have to go through

I’m not a minority either and I’ve been accepted. I do however live in the southwest area and have a lot of experience with serving the people of this region, and am passionate about staying here. They place heavy emphasis on an applicants passion for the underserved, specifically in the southwest region

I have to spin something then. I'm from NY, and I'm classified as white.

I see a ton of (sometimes non-English speaking) Hispanic patients in practice though, so I guess I should mention something about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to spin something then. I'm from NY, and I'm classified as white.

I see a ton of (sometimes non-English speaking) Hispanic patients in practice though, so I guess I should mention something about that.

Yeah I would bring that up, and also if you work in a medically underserved area definitely bring that up as well. BCOM has a lot of students from all over the nation, not just around this area. In fact, most people at my interview were not from the southwest

Waitlisted post interview..anyone know the chances of coming off the waitlist?

can anyone who's interviewed already provide some insight into how the interviews are done? How did it feel/go?

II today - submitted my secondary on 8/5. s/c gpa 3.0 - 3.1 with an upward trend, mcat 510-514, strong experiential activities. Excited for the opportunity to interview, seems like the school really cares about putting together a cohesive and supportive class.

II today - submitted my secondary on 8/5. s/c gpa 3.0 - 3.1 with an upward trend, mcat 510-514, strong experiential activities. Excited for the opportunity to interview, seems like the school really cares about putting together a cohesive and supportive class.

Was wondering when we would see a II again. Congrats!

When did you submit? Stats, if you don't mind sharing?
Aug. 6th, never got the complete email. 3.0 cBPGA(degree in business management), 3.89 sGPA( did a post-bacc and got a 4.0). 509 MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhhh my first acceptance this cycle. I'm beyond excited! Loved the school and atmosphere. Interviewed 9/26 as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi congratulations to all of you that were already accepted!
I have my interview tomorrow, could you please give me some tips?

As stated above, it's 2 faculty to 1 interviewee, open file.
So be prepared to answer anything from your app they might ask about.
Other than that, I would say everything depends on which interviewer you have, so just try your best to be relaxed. Their ultimate goal isn't to hurt you, after all.
Gl

Hi, the night before I just reviewed everything I wrote in my initial application and secondaries. I would say to remember to breathe and take a moment before you answer. I personally did not rehearse any answers and answered as I normally would. I wanted the interview to feel like a conversation more than anything else.

II yesterday! Interview on Monday. Cost a bit for flights and an AirBnb with short notice but for sure worth it to get it behind me.

Interview tomorrow.
My impressions of las cruces so far:
1) People: friendly
2) Weather: HOT (no me gusta)
3) Food: alright
4) Local Beer: excellent

Interview tomorrow.

As someone from Arizona, being in Las Cruces felt like absolute heaven haha. Good luck on your interview tomorrow--you're gonna do great!

Interview tomorrow.
I am looking forward to experiencing number 5.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Alright so completing my impressions of Las Cruces and Bcom
Las Cruces:
1) People: all were friendly. Way more than I am used to. People from where i'm from are dinguses
2) Weather: still don't like it, apparently it get's 100+ for multiple weeks in the summer?? I prefer colder weather
3) Food: I'm going to bump this up to an A after I tried the Mexican food
4) Local beer: still excellent.
5) Population/Demographic: the school is located right next to NM State so there are ton of young people. Everyone else is retirement age (according to BCOM admission staff) not a whole lot of people in between these age groups. 65% is hispanic, also huge native American population (close to the reservations).
6) Lots of out door recreation available but not good if you trying to turn up at the bars every weekend.
7) Cost of living in las cruces is cheap.

BCOM:
1) Nice campus (it's new). Actually it's just one building but it's super nice.
2) their SIM lab is state of the art. They also just got cadavers this year.
3) According to ADCOM their COMLEX 1 Pass rate was 80-85%?? If i remember correctly. They apparently hire kaplan to come in and provide a free 3 week course to their students at the end of year 2.
4) My interview experience was pretty chill. 2 on 1 interview that lasted about 30 min. Can't provide details because of non disclosure but interview was low stress. As long as you did a few mock interviews you should be set.
5) BCOM submitted paperwork to get approved for Federal Loans in August but they won't find out for sure until April-ish (they said roughly 10 months for them to hear back). This would be large factor in my decision to attend here if accepted, I rather shoot myself in the foot then take out 80k in private loans. They said they are confident they will get approved but I'll believe it when I see it.
6) Clinical years: they have hubs in several cities, (forget which one's) and wouldn't need to travel extensively during 3rd or 4th years.
7) CON: Their inaugural class just started 3rd year so there is no history of how they will match. ADCOM said they are confident their students will match well...and I want to believe them but they are obviously biased and I need evidence before I can take their word for it.
8) Majority of their students seemed happy with their decision to attend BCOM and there were no glaring complaints regarding the administration or faculty.
9) They notify regarding final decision in roughly 1 week and they want a 3k non-refundable deposit to hold your seat. They give you 30 days to pay if you are accepted after November.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this school. I think in a couple years once they have graduated a few classes they should be a good DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
Alright so completing my impressions of Las Cruces and Bcom
Las Cruces:
1) People: all were friendly. Way more than I am used to. People from where i'm from are dinguses
2) Weather: still don't like it, apparently it get's 100+ for multiple weeks in the summer?? I prefer colder weather
3) Food: I'm going to bump this up to an A after I tried the Mexican food
4) Local beer: still excellent.
5) Population/Demographic: the school is located right next to NM State so there are ton of young people. Everyone else is retirement age (according to BCOM admission staff) not a whole lot of people in between these age groups. 65% is hispanic, also huge native American population (close to the reservations).
6) Lots of out door recreation available but not good if you trying to turn up at the bars every weekend.
7) Cost of living in las cruces is cheap.

BCOM:
1) Nice campus (it's new). Actually it's just one building but it's super nice.
2) their SIM lab is state of the art. They also just got cadavers this year.
3) According to ADCOM their COMLEX 1 Pass rate was 80-85%?? If i remember correctly. They apparently hire kaplan to come in and provide a free 3 week course to their students at the end of year 2.
4) My interview experience was pretty chill. 2 on 1 interview that lasted about 30 min. Can't provide details because of non disclosure but interview was low stress. As long as you did a few mock interviews you should be set.
5) BCOM submitted paperwork to get approved for Federal Loans in August but they won't find out for sure until April-ish (they said roughly 10 months for them to hear back). This would be large factor in my decision to attend here if accepted, I rather shoot myself in the foot then take out 80k in private loans. They said they are confident they will get approved but I'll believe it when I see it.
6) Clinical years: they have hubs in several cities, (forget which one's) and wouldn't need to travel extensively during 3rd or 4th years.
7) CON: Their inaugural class just started 3rd year so there is no history of how they will match. ADCOM said they are confident their students will match well...and I want to believe them but they are obviously biased and I need evidence before I can take their word for it.
8) Majority of their students seemed happy with their decision to attend BCOM and there were no glaring complaints regarding the administration or faculty.
9) They notify regarding final decision in roughly 1 week and they want a 3k non-refundable deposit to hold your seat. They give you 30 days to pay if you are accepted after November.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this school. I think in a couple years once they have graduated a few classes they should be a good DO school.

They force you to put down a $3000 deposit before they can tell us if federal student loans will be available? This is a bit of a turn off for me.

They force you to put down a $3000 deposit before they can tell us if federal student loans will be available? This is a bit of a turn off for me.

$3000 deposit up front or $2000 deposit within 30 days of an offer and the remaining before a February deadline.

EDIT: Payment installments only available to those accepted before December.

$3000 deposit up front or $2000 deposit within 30 days of an offer and the remaining before a February deadline.
I forgot to ask this during the interview day.
Is the deposit refundable?
I can't find any info on it.

Nvm. Portal says Non-refundable.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask this during the interview day.
Is the deposit refundable?
I can't find any info on it

My portal says the seat deposit is non-refundable. There's an additional charge if you're paying with a card. $50ish or $70ish depending on how much you pay upfront.