2018-2019 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So nervous for my interview next week! I love this school's mission. Any advice?!

Members don't see this ad.

So nervous for my interview next week! I love this school's mission. Any advice?!
Lurker here. Interviewed and accepted in October. Being nervous shows that you care which is awesome! The interview day itself is relaxed and pretty fun (when you .let it be). You will get the feeling that they are welcoming and I felt that they were! Prepare your answers ahead of time, but don't memorize your answers to the point where you sound like a robot. Remember to smile, introduce yourself to EVERYONE, and be interested in the school. Interviewers are good at pinpointing who are genuinely interested in their school and who are not. If you answer the questions genuinely with passion, they will know who you are as an individual! Stay calm, have fun, and enjoy your interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Lurker here. Interviewed and accepted in October. Being nervous shows that you care which is awesome! The interview day itself is relaxed and pretty fun (when you .let it be). You will get the feeling that they are welcoming and I felt that they were! Prepare your answers ahead of time, but don't memorize your answers to the point where you sound like a robot. Remember to smile, introduce yourself to EVERYONE, and be interested in the school. Interviewers are good at pinpointing who are genuinely interested in their school and who are not. If you answer the questions genuinely with passion, they will know who you are as an individual! Stay calm, have fun, and enjoy your interview!

Accepted student here as well, and to piggy back off of this; the school takes its mission very seriously, so if you have a genuine interest of serving the underserved in the southwest area, let it be known! I reiterated that I have a passion for it and that i want to stay in this area (I live in El Paso, 30 min from the school). They take students from all over the country, but the common denominator is the passion for serving the underserved. Don’t be timid, showcase yourself and let them know why you would be a great fit for their mission! Good luck, you’ll do great. The staff is wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go here. It will be the worst decision of your life. This place is a living hell. We see you pre-meds at our school during your interviews and want to tell you to run as fast as you can from but we'd get in trouble, probably kicked out if administration found out. So I'm saying it here run from this school and don't look back. This school had 3rd lowest board passage rate. tuition increases yearly. It doesn't care about it's students. Students here are miserable!

For me... I didn't study. No prep. BUT I'm an old fart, so either they'd like me or hate me, can't change that. Maybe something about my face seemed punchable to the interviewers or not, but I'd never know. If anything, maybe I'd say look at a few of the hot-topic ethical issues for today and maybe ways to answer them (don't get too rehearsed though, you'll sound like a robot), and maybe have an idea about the unique philosophies and foci (is that a word?) of osteopathic medicine. Also, I MIGHT mention just to remember to be humble. You are going to be a doctor as a singular PART of an entire team (nurses, PA's, MD's, DO's, NP's, Nurses, social workers working in tandem). It's ok if you don't know an answer: we aren't doctors yet, so how SHOULD we know it all? Trick question, you can't KNOW it all. maybe there are some good resources online for how to answer a question you don't know the answer to? Anywho, god's speed... (and god's meth :) )

Don't go here. It will be the worst decision of your life. This place is a living hell. We see you pre-meds at our school during your interviews and want to tell you to run as fast as you can from but we'd get in trouble, probably kicked out if administration found out. So I'm saying it here run from this school and don't look back. This school had 3rd lowest board passage rate. tuition increases yearly. It doesn't care about it's students. Students here are miserable!

Well this isn't reassuring. Any other BCOM students that can attest to this?

Is this a joke? Haven't heard any such thing from any of the students and I must've talked to like 5+ guys/gals that day (during their midterm/testing block)

Reactions: 1 users
Is this a joke? Haven't heard any such thing from any of the students and I must've talked to like 5+ guys/gals that day (during their midterm/testing block)
If you click on their profile, they made their page today. I have spoken with different pre professional advisors who says it is a good school. Tuition increases at most schools yearly (at least at private ones-speaking from experience with undergrad). I would say to make your own decision based on how things went. You are what will make you pass exams and boards. It is really hard to say whether what the poster says is true, but the poster does not allow people to see what is on their page. Not sure I would trust that kind of secrecy.

Reactions: 2 users

Yes it was all a joke. I'm sure BCOM is a wonderful place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any 10/29 interviewers hear anything back yet?
Looks to me like they might be behind a little bit. They told our interview group (11/7) that we should hear an answer within a week or so but I haven't heard anything yet :confused:

Looks to me like they might be behind a little bit. They told our interview group (11/7) that we should hear an answer within a week or so but I haven't heard anything yet :confused:

I got accepted in the beginning of September and it still took them over 10 days when they had said no more than a week, so I wouldn’t stress it too much

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At BCOM, how long more or less it takes to hear back after send the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to check who saw our video on youtube? First time I posted a video over there. Thanks!

Yeah go to your creator studio and look at analytics and you can see how many views it’s had. There is more detailed instruction on page 1 or 2 of this thread

Withdrew my interview, hope it goes to one of you wonderful people

Reactions: 1 users
Current second year here - the inaugural class was destroyed on the boards, but you have to keep in mind that a lot of things out of their control happened to screw them over. We lost our pharm department and our IHL department chair quit in the middle of the block. Coupled with that, the teachers had a lot of non-step 1 fat in their lectures.

This has been addressed (for the most part), and the dean is trying to eliminate pediatrics right now (also not step 1 relevant). My class should score higher than the inaugural class as we did not have these problems.

That being said, it’s not a living hell. If you get into a more established school and want to attend there, then more power to you, but no one here is trying to screw you over.

Edit: By the time you guys start school, most of the kinks should be worked out and you should expect your class to score near the national average on Step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone interviewing on 12/12? I’m planning on arriving the day before at El Paso international and driving down to a hotel near the school. If anyone wants a ride lmk!

Current third year here- while I can't confirm or deny that we we did poorly on boards (haven't seen any official data sent out yet on our performance) I can say that it seems like the OP of that comment is either trolling or feeling the frustration that comes at the end of first semester (after you've been pummeled with multiple exams, etc). We have growing pains for sure (read: first 3 classes ever) but I disagree that the school "doesn't care about us" or that students are miserable.

At the end of the day it's all about perspective. You're either grateful to be in medical school and willing to endure the hard work or you walk around entitled like everyone owes you a favor. How you handle your situation is a direct reflection of how you view yourself in that situation; at the end of the day just remember to take all feedback with a grain of salt and analyze information for yourself.

Best of luck to those of you interviewing!

S

Reactions: 7 users
Just recieved and interview! Found an opening in December! I will be interviewing December 12!

Secondary received 09/27
Secondary completed 10/01
Received II today, interviewing 12/12

So the admissions team told me about 3-4 weeks ago that I would hear that next week. I haven't heard anything from them since. Should I send an email asking about it? I don't want to pester them or annoy them, but I'm curious....

Edit: this would be about receiving an interview

Last edited:
So the admissions team told me about 3-4 weeks ago that I would hear that next week. I haven't heard anything from them since. Should I send an email asking about it? I don't want to pester them or annoy them, but I'm curious....

Yeah I’m wondering this too. This is regards to a different school but I think calling after a month is reasonable, especially since you expected to hear something. I understand you don’t want to be annoying but it’s also getting a little late in the game!

when were you complete? I heard back approximately 10 weeks after submitting my secondary.

when were you complete? I heard back approximately 10 weeks after submitting my secondary.

So mine was technically complete in August, but I had issues with my letter of recommendation. That was fixed around late September. Then when I asked if they had received the updated letter, a person from admissions said that I would hear back in about a week. It has now been about a month.

Dang! They must be kind of behind. I was hoping to hear from 11/14 interview sometime soon....
I'm wondering if I should maybe call them? I'm starting to get concerned because it's been almost three weeks. I don't want to annoy them though if they are behind

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I should maybe call them? I'm starting to get concerned because it's been almost three weeks. I don't want to annoy them though if they are behind
yeah! I would think you could call them.. they said it would be a 1.5 weeks in my interview

Anyone else having issues accessing their portal? For those who accepted their admissions offer, do you have to submit your deposit when you accept?

Anyone else having issues accessing their portal? For those who accepted their admissions offer, do you have to submit your deposit when you accept?

It seems the portal is down. I couldn't access it since this morning.

For those of you who were accepted. Could you please post information regarding the Drug test for the 2019 application cycle? I have Rx for Anxiety and ADD; the last thing I would want to do is come out positive for something legitimate. I rather just stay clean and take the drug screen.

Last edited:
Does BCOM call or email about acceptances? Around what time do they let you know?? I guess 11/7 and 11/14 should be hearing back tomorrow.

Does BCOM call or email about acceptances? Around what time do they let you know?? I guess 11/7 and 11/14 should be hearing back tomorrow.
They email from what I’ve seen. The server is still down though so not sure how it will work today

They email from what I’ve seen. The server is still down though so not sure how it will work today
I hope it's soon. I have more interviews coming up but if I get accepted to BCOM, I'll give up my other interviews. I'm waaaay too broke right now and BCOM is my top choice

I hope it's soon. I have more interviews coming up but if I get accepted to BCOM, I'll give up my other interviews. I'm waaaay too broke right now and BCOM is my top choice
The portal is still down. I'm a little worried we won't hear today either.

If we don't hear back in the next day or two, I think I'll be putting my deposit elsewhere. This is kinda concerning that they don't have back ups or any other means of communicating with us...

If we don't hear back in the next day or two, I think I'll be putting my deposit elsewhere. This is kinda concerning that they don't have back ups or any other means of communicating with us...
Agreed. It's a bit odd that their server has been down for almost two weeks in the middle of the application cycle. I wish they could at least email us their decisions even if we still can't fully access the portal. I'm trying to be patient but this wait is killing me lol

Agreed. It's a bit odd that their server has been down for almost two weeks in the middle of the application cycle. I wish they could at least email us their decisions even if we still can't fully access the portal. I'm trying to be patient but this wait is killing me lol
That's interesting. I was emailed my acceptance in October and it didn't seem to have any relation to the portal which I didn't check for a few days after. I wonder why they still wouldn't be able to send decisions out just because the portal is down. It's also always possible that they simply haven't finalized the decisions for these interviews yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

That's interesting. I was emailed my acceptance in October and it didn't seem to have any relation to the portal which I didn't check for a few days after. I wonder why they still wouldn't be able to send decisions out just because the portal is down. It's also always possible that they simply haven't finalized the decisions for these interviews yet.

I called yesterday and they said all decisions have been finalized. Somebody else mentioned that they told them the same thing. I agree though, odd!

I called yesterday and they said all decisions have been finalized. Somebody else mentioned that they told them the same thing. I agree though, odd!
Definitely a little weird. Either way, I hope you all receive good news soon!!

Definitely a little weird. Either way, I hope you all receive good news soon!!
Maybe they don't want to send out any more acceptances without students having access to the portal to put their deposit down. Or maybe without the server up, they can't access our profiles to get certain information they need? Whatever it is, it must be a pretty significant software issue to hold up decisions from all the way back to the beginning of November. I assume other applicants cannot even submit secondaries either. Definitely odd

Reactions: 2 users