2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All are 3000 character limits:

1) If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.

2) Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

3) If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

4) If given the opportunity to attend medical school where would you see yourself in ten years?

5) Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

Interview Feedback - Please let us know about your interview experience here: California University of Science and Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
What is even happening with the school? The school is in some plaza while the actual campus is being built??

What is even happening with the school? The school is in some plaza while the actual campus is being built??

There’s a temporary facility while they are constructing the main campus/building next to the medical center.

The temp facility isn’t impressive by any means from the outside but the inside is fully equipped with everything one needs during M1/M2. A fully equipped wet lab, clinical skills areas, anatomy lab, student lounge, class rooms, library, etc., etc. Other spaces and research opportunities will be available via ARMC as well.

Everything seems to be on point but I can totally understand why some people might be sceptical at first.

Last edited:
There’s a temporary facility while they are constructing the main campus/building next to the medical center.

The temp facility isn’t impressive by any means from the outside but the inside is fully equipped with everything ones needs during M1/M2. A fully equipped wet lab, clinical skills areas, anatomy lab, student lounge, class rooms, library, etc., etc. Other spaces and research opportunities will be available via ARMC as well.

Everything seems to be on point but I can totally understand why some people might be sceptical at first.
Thanks for the info! I don’t live in California at the moment so I haven’t been able to go check it out myself. Having knowledge of that definitely makes me not as neurotic haha.

Either way it’s great to have another med school In SoCal.

Has anybody heard anything about secondaries from this school?

I just pre-wrote using the ones from last year thread. Their admissions person posted them.[/QUOTE

Thank you. That's a good idea, but I'm having a hard time locating that thread. Would you mind posting a link?

Received an "Applicant Received" email but with no secondaries.

Does anyone know if they are able to offer federal loans for students now?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No Federal loans yet :(
sooo this may be a stupid question because I haven't done as much research about paying for medical school just yet. But what is the difference between receiving a private loan and federal loan? I'm guessing other than the interest rates..

sooo this may be a stupid question because I haven't done as much research about paying for medical school just yet. But what is the difference between receiving a private loan and federal loan? I'm guessing other than the interest rates..

Private loans are financed through private lenders. For federal loans, there's options after you graduate medical school of different payment plans depending on your income. You want federal loans.

Private loans are financed through private lenders. For federal loans, there's options after you graduate medical school of different payment plans depending on your income. You want federal loans.

FYI The school is going to apply for federal loans once they graduate their first MBS class (summer 2019). In reality, there was a lot of scholarship money offered. (think Seton Hall level)

Reactions: 1 user
sooo does this mean if you didn't receive a secondary material you're lowkey rejected?

+1 secondaries seem to be screened before being sent according to the website
not sure how heavy they screen...

They have a hard screen at a 502/3.0 but they may also have additional screening that I'm unaware of as I know people who met the aforementioned criteria who were still not sent a secondary last year.

Secondary just now - ITS A LONG ONE

Please complete the following essay questions.
(Required) Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM? (250 words maximum)*

(Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)

(Required) What has been your biggest challenge in pursuing medicine? What have you learned as a result? (250 words maximum)

(Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)

(Optional) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

(Optional) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

(Recommended) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)
I think this is the wrong thread

Received what I think is a secondary invite, but when I sent in a request to make an account using my AMCAS ID and e-mail it told me to wait for another E-mail to get my login sent to me. I haven't received it yet. Has anyone else encountered this?

@Docmkr I was just curious if you guys are sending secondaries already or its not being sent until later?

Nothing but silence from here, didn't even get secondary yet. Anybody heard back at all?

No secondary yet. Just an email thanking me for applying and asking for my patience during the process

Hey guys, M1 here, we were told a couple of days ago that the reason that MD admissions are being held up right now is because they are working on getting the MBS program running, which is starting next week(?) I believe. Hopefully, this can ease some anxiety out there!
So most likely, all the secondaries will be sent in the next week or so?

Just a little update for those that are interested:

~3,750 Primary Apps received so far.

Interviews will start on October 1st (or at least no earlier if not on that exact date).

They plan on sending out around 2,000 secondaries soon. Yah, I know soon isn't a great answer to the question of "when" but that's everything I've got at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a little update for those that are interested:

~3,750 Primary Apps received so far.

Interviews will start on October 1st (or at least no earlier if not on that exact date).

They plan on sending out around 2,000 secondaries soon. Yah, I know soon isn't a great answer to the question of "when" but that's everything I've got at the moment.
Do you know what is the criteria of pre-secondary screening?

Do you know what is the criteria of pre-secondary screening?

All I know about is the 502/3.0 cutoff. Although, at least last year, there were other criteria that wasn't made public because I know people who didn't get secondaries who met this cutoff.

I know they favor California residents but they interview a lot of out-of-state as well so I don't think that plays a huge role in screening.

If I find out anything else I'll let everyone know though.

Waiting on secondary. Hopefully they come soon. I’m getting burnt out from writing them now that I finished 31 secondaries already

Well, I added this school yesterday and received the "application received" email this morning. Any word on secondaries yet?

asking us to reset password just like Seton Hall. Not sure if its a glitch like Seton but will wait for further instructions

got a secondary... any concerns about web safety? unsecure site

Here are the questions, all are 3000 character limits:

1) If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.

2) Sometimes it is necessary to work in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances. When have you found yourself in this position? Tell us exactly what you did.

3) If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn’t meeting his/her responsibility, how would you feel about this situation and how would you handle it?

4) If given the opportunity to attend medical school where would you see yourself in ten years?

5) Diversity comes in many forms. How do you think you might contribute to the diversity of the class?

got a secondary... any concerns about web safety? unsecure site

Yea, that surprised me as well considering the link is an extension of AAMC. But nothing on our secondary app requires sensitive information so I am not too worried about that. Thank god this secondary is not too bad. Will be able to submit it by end of today.

+1 for secondary received.

It seems that most people have just received the secondary today, but I was wondering what are you all putting for the "working in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances" question? I haven't been able to think of many times that's happened to me to be honest, aside from maybe this current secondary season as I'm trying to juggle my activities. But I'm not really doing anything special aside from just working my way through it.