2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, May 30, 2018.

1. leetskeetskeet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

#451 leetskeetskeet, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 4:32 AM
  2. balkan

Pre-Medical
    1 on 1 faculty interview. open file. mine lasted ~30-45 minutes

there's also a lunch with several faculty members

3. asobok

Hi Goro,

I saw some of your thoughts on this school last cycle and your apprehension that CUSM may be another California Northstate. Have your opinions changed since then?

4. Goro

Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    CalU is definite;y NOT another CN"u" and I recommend it to any qualified Californian. I recommend it to Golden Staters because of the enormous pool of candidates in that state.

5. PickleRickelus

Can you or anyone who has already interviewed comment on the possibility of the school securing federal student loans?

6. Qrtpcr

Although they said they are doing their best, it seems like it’s not going to be available for next year. Almost certainly going to be secured for the following year though

PickleRickelus likes this.
  7. pink92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it just me or is it strange that this school didn't send more detailed interview information in an e-mail as it got closer to the interview date?

8. meltin0223

Did anyone who sent in their primary in January receive a secondary yet?

9. asobok

They sent me a schedule for the interview day with my interview invite. They also sent another document about driving/hotel/parking instructions. A week before my interview I think they emailed and asked about meal preferences

phaneepack likes this.
  10. NBAoverNFL

Pre-Medical
    ii today. one hour ago. IS. LM 72. available spots were 2/21 and 3/14.

DrBunnie and SR71BLK like this.
  11. DrBunnie

Pre-Medical
    Congrats..! Could you share when you were complete?

12. NBAoverNFL

Pre-Medical
    complete last week of October

13. Mel0218

II today. LM 70 OOS. Anyone else get a secondary invite and II at the same time?

#463 Mel0218, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  14. BioBrain009

Pre-Medical
    Accepted around 40 minutes ago!

asobok, phaneepack and PickleRickelus like this.
  15. PickleRickelus

Congratulations! About how long did it take you to hear back?

16. BioBrain009

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much! I interviewed 1/3, was waitlisted 1/18, then accepted today.

PickleRickelus likes this.
  17. contigo123

Pre-Medical
    Accepted this morning off the waitlist :soexcited:Interviewed in December, waitlisted in January. Good luck to everyone waiting to interview or hear back!

#467 contigo123, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  18. Commsky

Commsky Ants in your cereal.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also got in off the waitlist today. First school I've gotten in to, feels good. Interviewed in November, waitlisted in December.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. phaneepack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Accepted off the waitlist today!!! Interviewed 1/31 and waitlisted on 2/8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    asobok and PickleRickelus like this.
  20. asobok

Can any of the current students comment about the amount of mandatory class time? How much do you guys study per day? How do you feel about the quality/quantity of classes?

Mel0218 likes this.
  21. IzzyMandelbaum

There is no mandatory class time aside from Clinical Skills, Anatomy Lab, Clinical Case Presentation, and College Colloquium. Flipped classroom is now optional. You should have more than enough time to study throughout the week not only for class but also for Step 1. Quality of lectures is largely dependent on the professor, which is true for any medical school in the country. To be completely honest, medical students at most medical schools typically ditch class lecture material in favor of Step 1 Board Prep material about a few weeks to months into medical school.

#471 IzzyMandelbaum, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    Qrtpcr and asobok like this.
  22. asobok

Thanks for the reply! At my interview they emphasized team based learning and that students have college colloquiums to attend. Did they change this?

23. IzzyMandelbaum

There is still team-based learning in the sense that you take these individual quizzes three times a week and immediately afterward you then take that same quiz as a team and pool together answers, but that usually lasts at most for about ten to fifteen minutes. Yes, there is still college colloquium to attend in which you discuss important and pressing topics in medicine, but you should still have more than enough time to study. I actually like that aspect of our curriculum while others do not. It's really up to the individual.

asobok likes this.
  24. DOCMARTIN95

Medical Student
    Actually we have more mandatory class time than just Clinical Skills and Anatomy Lab. There is also IRAT/TRAT which is 30 min-1 hour three times a week and a Clinical skills algorithm presentation which is about 30 minutes plus meeting with teams after which can range anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. There is also mandatory clinical presentations which take about an hour. All in all, thats an extra 3 hours and thirty minutes to 6 hours a week. There is some variability with 3 hours and thirty minutes being the least amount of time possible spent at school (in addition to Clinical skills and anatomy lab that I did not account) if we get out as early as possible to 6 hours if it takes us the maximum amount of time in each session. Average this out and we can say, roughly, an extra 4 hours and 45 minutes of mandatory class time on top of Clinical Skills and Anatomy lab time that is mandatory as well.

asobok, SR71BLK and ooh a bean like this.
  25. meltin0223

When did you submit your primary? I sent mine in January and haven't gotten a secondary yet :/

26. Mel0218

Last week of January

27. DrBunnie

Pre-Medical
    I did in September when I received my secondary. It disappeared in a few days for me because it was an error. Did you confirm with admissions?

28. OchemOficionado

Staff Member Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I think with the accreditation that they have to wait at least two years. So, 2019-2020 would be impossible for them.

29. Mel0218

Did it let you schedule? I'm wondering if they came together since its so close to the end of the cycle.

30. NBAoverNFL

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone elaborate on the group activity and resilience test? Thanks

31. Mikeyb26

Can any current students comment on how the pre-accreditation of the school might effect getting into a top residency program?

32. DrBunnie

Pre-Medical
    It did. I called admissions about it because I hadn't submit a secondary yet and they fixed it. :(

33. DameJulie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Since CUSM doesn't accept updates, how do we show continued interest pre-II? Or do we just sit and wait?

34. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    yeah, currently sitting and waiting lol

35. Apothecary Aquinas

Medical Student
    Every new medical school has to go through the same steps and I'm sure most/all residency directors are familiar (at least somewhat) on the general processes a school must go through in order to obtain full accreditation. Coming from a school that hasn't achieved accreditation yet (granted that school hasn't failed accreditation or something), in and of itself, shouldn't affect anything. Every school has to go through that and every school must graduate its first class before gaining full accreditation. However, there may be indirect effects of graduating from a new school mainly in reputation and resources. That is to say, the new school does not have a reputation yet (especially if its not already apart of an established university) and you may have less access to resources, contacts, etc., making it slightly harder to make yourself competitive.

So very basically - not being fully accredited yet shouldn't, in and of itself, have any effect on residency programs; however, a lack of a reputation may (by my estimates) sway acceptances/interviews if someone is on the fence about you (a hypothetical example). And finally you may have less access to resources to make yourself competitive.

My take on things: at CalMed you may have to do some leg work yourself but there are plenty of opportunities for research (clinical/bench), community outreach and clinical involvement. And by next year it should be even more stream-lined. Furthermore, by the time the second class graduates there should be no reason the school doesn't have full accreditation so it shouldn't even affect you (if you were a student).

I spoke with admissions and they said they do not accept updates of any kind but they will accept letters of interest/intent if you feel you want to send one. Whether or not they have a measurable impact is undetermined but I was informed that the dean as least tries to read them. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh and don't try and sneak updates into the LOI if you choose to send one, haha. Apparently they're wise to that work around.

36. erinfreeze

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I received an II on 2/8. When I logged in to schedule the interview, there was no option. I emailed admissions and they fixed the issue in my portal, and I am scheduled for tomorrow.

Since then, I haven’t received ANYTHING about meals, a schedule for the day, or anything else... all I know is my interview is scheduled for 2/21 at 9am. Can anyone pm me the schedule and any other important info?

37. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    I attempted to send a LOI/interest, they did not accept it.

38. asobok

PM me your email, I can send you the PDF

39. Apothecary Aquinas

Medical Student
    Sorry to hear that. However, I'm simply mimicking what I was told by admissions yesterday when I spoke with them. I'm sure it's possible that not everyone is on the same page though. Regardless, the effect LOI's have is questionable to begin with. People can try to send one if they want, or not, probably not much of a difference made either way.

40. iqq2much

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Is there an accepted students FB page yet?

u4h04tp660418 likes this.
  41. grsssstnls

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Does anyone know when their next adcom meeting is?