2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a "commit to enroll" deadline for cusm? i couldn't find anything about it on the student checklist they sent out!

I called the admissions office a few weeks ago and they told me that the "commit to enroll" deadline for the AMCAS choose your med school tool is 15 days before the day of matriculation. At the moment, it is enough to just select "plan to enroll".

Members don't see this ad.

Just interviewed here, really impressed. Everyone was very friendly. I don't think my interview itself went very well though, my interviewer seemed like a really nice and cool person but didn't seem impressed at all with my responses. Maybe he was seeing how I react to that lol.

What they're doing with the curriculum really impresses me and seems pretty innovative; I'd feel enormously privileged to attend here. The narrated powerpoint was highkey interesting af. I also appreciate the mission and dedication to underserved, it feels real here as opposed to some other places where it seems like they're just saying it. The applicants I talked with were all extremely friendly and nice too :) I will note that there were a TON of people at the interview (like at least 35 if not more) so I suspect my chances here are quite low :(

10/10 high quality interview day (although I'm not exactly swimming in other interview to compare xD). Both schools where I've interviewed were awesome, hopefully I will get to attend one!

Same. So impressed, fell in love with this school today.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but are any current students willing to speak to the availability of research opportunities available to medical students either a). directly at CUSM or b). surrounding campuses? IE, does anyone work at labs at UCR or UCI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they accept letters of intent? After my interview last week they’re my first choice and I need them to know that haha

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but are any current students willing to speak to the availability of research opportunities available to medical students either a). directly at CUSM or b). surrounding campuses? IE, does anyone work at labs at UCR or UCI?

There are several spots being filled right now in both basic science/bench research and in clinical research directly through CUSM. This is in addition to the decent amount (mainly research in medical education and reviews) being offered through the faculty here.

There are many of us that will be starting research directly with ARMC as well, as the residents/attendings there seem excited to start working with the medical school.

In addition there are several people working with Loma Linda and Kaiser Permanente. As far as UCI/UCR I'm not sure but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.

If you want to make something happen there is little to stop you. There's a lot of freedom as long as you have the drive.

Does anyone know if they accept letters of intent? After my interview last week they’re my first choice and I need them to know that haha

I've heard mixed things from the admissions department versus what other people have told me once they've tried to send a letter.

Officially from the admissions department I've heard it can't hurt you, it may not mean anything, but I've been told if people want to send letters of interest/intent they may or may not get looked at at all. That being said updates are definitely not excepted.

But again I've heard mixed things from people trying to send an LOI where some say it was rejected and some say they took it. So unfortunately it's a little unclear to be honest.

I was told on the phone that it doesn't hurt but wouldn't be shown to the admissions committee. When I sent one in it was returned to me with a notice that they dont accept them.

In a wild turn of events, I just received my first MD II here! Any advice? What's it like (trad vs. MMI)? Mine is next week so I don't exactly have the most time to prepare. What were people's overall thoughts on this?

Reactions: 4 users
In a wild turn of events, I just received my first MD II here! Any advice? What's it like (trad vs. MMI)? Mine is next week so I don't exactly have the most time to prepare. What were people's overall thoughts on this?

Congrats Kiwi! Rooting for you and Meridian!

Reactions: 1 users
1:1, pretty informal honestly. Excited for you but also feeling like that must mean an R is coming my way. Still hanging out on the WL and beginning to lose hope. Loved this school though, seemed like a perfect fit for me as an experienced healthcare non-trad, so i'm still crossing my fingers. Would love to know something before shelling out all the money on new primary next week. :(

Yo congrats Kiwi! As others mentioned, it's 1:1 and pretty informal. They will ask you about your activities, so brush up on that. They are open to steering the conversation in what direction you want, so try to highlight your strengths and how they fit into the mission of the school (addressing the physician shortage in the IE)

Not sure if they've changed interviews but mine was 30 minutes (most people were done before that). They asked some hypothetical questions and then my lowest score on the MCAT (125 cars). So be prepared for that if your MCAT is not balanced. So yeah, it was kind of formal. I didn't really like the school and didn't get a good impression, but it looks like a lot of other people are happy with it. It was probably just my interview day, and if it was my only MD option, I would definitely go. Good luck kiwi!

1:1, pretty informal honestly. Excited for you but also feeling like that must mean an R is coming my way. Still hanging out on the WL and beginning to lose hope. Loved this school though, seemed like a perfect fit for me as an experienced healthcare non-trad, so i'm still crossing my fingers. Would love to know something before shelling out all the money on new primary next week. :(
Submit AMCAS to just one school. That way you can get the ball rolling on verification while waiting to hear back from your WLs. If you don't hear back by end of June/early July then add the rest of the schools.

Also, I haven’t received confirmation of scheduling my interview yet. Does it usually take a little while? Says scheduled on my portal

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I haven’t received confirmation of scheduling my interview yet. Does it usually take a little while? Says scheduled on my portal
Give them a day or two.

Top 10 anime comebacks
It's traditional, I have a prior post talking a bit about it. Greatly enjoyed the interview. There are a few presentations, nothing really crazy, seemed like a pretty great place.
Congrats fam! Although I will admit this has me worried that they weren't impressed with the people on my interview day, so it's looking like most of us from that date are gonna get hit with that fat R :(
I wouldn't read too much into it. I received my II for this week's interview date the week before your interview even happened. My guess is they sent out another round of II's after mine to fill up this next interview date because a lot of the people they invited probably turned down their invitation due to already having other acceptances. Honestly due to the lack of people posting about it on SDN, I thought I was going to be the only one there lol, glad they invited more people!

JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!! Oos, interviewed May 17th, omg I’m overwhelmed with joy, this is my second cycle and first acceptance, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! You were the one who replied to my comment saying you fell in love with the school right? Looks like you got your wish :) So happy for you, hope to join you soon!

Yes!! Hope so too, sending good vibes your way :)

I wonder if all the acceptances from the 5/17 interview date were sent out yesterday and the rest of us will be waitlisted or rejected? Hopefully that's not the case and they're just going through apps 1 by 1...
Don't fret. I interviewed mid March (on their "old" last interview date) and was waitlisted soon after. I got in off the waitlist 2 weeks after that email. They will probably have WL movement from this last interview date as well.

Last edited:
My wife and I were both accepted on Thursday. So stoked!

Reactions: 5 users
Can someone please post the 2023 accepted student Facebook link? Having trouble opening it from the doc they sent me

Right next to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, their affiliated hospital where most of the CUSM clinical rotations will be. Pepper Ave exit off of the 10.

Congrats all who got accepted and good luck to those still waiting. Can someone tell me where their new campus is being built? heard it was next to a hospital. My son is applying and I grew up 10 minutes from the current campus. Loma Linda was my stomping ground.
At arrowhead regional, on a lot adjacent to the parking lot (if my memory is right).

Thank you. I was thinking St. Bernardine Hospital on Highland Ave and Waterman Ave, which makes no sense as there is no room.
The temporary sites are both near the Waterman Ave exit (MD is on Club Center Drive, MBS is on Hospitality Lane) so that might have caused the confusion. :)

Hi guys! I'm trying to get an idea of what your daily schedule is like at CUSM and is that schedule about the same throughout the week? Thanks for your help!

Hi guys! I'm trying to get an idea of what your daily schedule is like at CUSM and is that schedule about the same throughout the week? Thanks for your help!

CUSM is built on a "weekly" schedule so each week is (with some minor variation) structured the same with the exception of exam weeks.

Here is the tentative schedule for the M1s and M2s for the coming year:

Note: Service learning is not every week, usually only a couple times a semester or so.

Anyone else still waiting to hear back post-interview?

Does anyone know if CUSM generous with scholarships?

Does anyone know if CUSM generous with scholarships?

Incoming MS1 here. The scholarships CUSM gives out are between 10k to 30k per year that is renewable for all 4 years as long as you are financially and academically compliant. From an incoming MS2, most people were awarded the 10K per year.

Incoming MS1 here. The scholarships CUSM gives out are between 10k to 30k per year that is renewable for all 4 years as long as you are financially and academically compliant. From an incoming MS2, most people were awarded the 10K per year.

Ah okay thanks. Thought they would be a bit more generous than that for the first 4 classes :(. TCU is offering first year tuition free and Kaiser is offering free tuition for the first 4 classes. Hopefully they'll be more generous in the future

Ah okay thanks. Thought they would be a bit more generous than that for the first 4 classes :(. TCU is offering first year tuition free and Kaiser is offering free tuition for the first 4 classes. Hopefully they'll be more generous in the future

I wish there was more $$$ to go around, but since this place is starting from scratch (with not much base groundwork) they won't have as many funds as Kaiser (they have a huge "empire" already) or Carle Illinois (With U of I and a top engineering school with lots of funds).

I'll be attending here most likely because this is my only MD acceptance I have. (on 3 other MD wait lists that are moving really slowly)

Holy crap I got in!! I’m gonna be an MD

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Anyone get any updates on scholarship notifications?

In my fin aid email I got from them last week they said that decisions would go out July 8th since the deadline for us is July 5th. Not sure if this is the most up to date accurate or if it applies for everyone or just those of us who got our acceptances last week

In my fin aid email I got from them last week they said that decisions would go out July 8th since the deadline for us is July 5th. Not sure if this is the most up to date accurate or if it applies for everyone or just those of us who got our acceptances last week

Hmm that's interesting. I was accepted a few months ago and the scholarship notifications were supposed to come out June 17th for those of us accepted early in the year. They haven't released any new information about it. Also does anyone know what is going on with the loan situation?

Hmm that's interesting. I was accepted a few months ago and the scholarship notifications were supposed to come out June 17th for those of us accepted early in the year. They haven't released any new information about it. Also does anyone know what is going on with the loan situation?

I emailed them about that as well and they said loan counseling starts next week

I will be withdrawing my acceptance here! Good luck to all of you still waiting!