2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received as well! Looks like I picked a good time to add this school...

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone talk about the risks that one takes on when choosing to attend a newer medical school and if there are any red flags to watch out for?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 for secondary received.

It seems that most people have just received the secondary today, but I was wondering what are you all putting for the "working in unsettled or rapidly changing circumstances" question? I haven't been able to think of many times that's happened to me to be honest, aside from maybe this current secondary season as I'm trying to juggle my activities. But I'm not really doing anything special aside from just working my way through it.

For this prompt, I plan to talk about my experience serving as a mentor for at-risk high school students. I managed a caseload of more than 32 students and each day I had to deal with all sorts of issues: fighting, gangs, drugs, you name it. So it could get very chaotic trying to meet the needs of each student, let alone 10 to 20 at a time.

Does everyone applied get a secondary here? Or is there a screen?

Is this school OOS friendly? Just received their secondary

Does everyone applied get a secondary here? Or is there a screen?

Yes, there is a screen. in last year's thread, the dean himself said that he didn't want people who wouldn't have a chance of getting in to waste money on the secondary. I am not sure how hard the screen is but I think they do a pretty holistic screen.

Yes, there is a screen. in last year's thread, the dean himself said that he didn't want people who wouldn't have a chance of getting in to waste money on the secondary. I am not sure how hard the screen is but I think they do a pretty holistic screen.
Any chance you know how many people would receive the secondary? like 50% or 60% like the UCs? Trying to gauge how much a secondary application means from them compared to those that send out to everyone.

Any chance you know how many people would receive the secondary? like 50% or 60% like the UCs? Trying to gauge how much a secondary application means from them compared to those that send out to everyone.

Sorry, this I have no idea. But I assume for schools that do a holistic screen, if they send you a secondary then they are interested, otherwise they wouldn't waste a secondary. However, receiving a secondary from schools that screen like the UCs doesn't mean much in terms of getting an II, since the competition is just so high. I applied last year and got all secondaries from almost all UCs I applied to pretty quickly, like a week after verification from one or two UCs. This year, none so far, albeit my app was just verified about 2 weeks ago but it's so much stronger compared to last year. What I am saying is this whole process is so unpredictable that we just need to sit back, relax, and let our app do the talking. Hopefully, we have done enough to warrant an II and an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
So I looked through my transcripts to see if there is any semesters with fewer than 12 credits, and just realized that there is a miscalculation from one of my past schools. So my transcripts reflect that term as 10 credits rather than 12 (even though the actual course credits add to 12).
Should I mention this in the secondary because I only have one other semester under 12 units, and thus need to answer that question, or should I just assume they'll notice this as well?

....can't believe I have never noticed this mistake before now.

Reactions: 1 user

Around 50% or so like you've mentioned should get a secondary. They said they've received ~4,000 primary apps and plan to give out around 2,000 secondaries.

So I looked through my transcripts to see if there is any semesters with fewer than 12 credits, and just realized that there is a miscalculation from one of my past schools. So my transcripts reflect that term as 10 credits rather than 12 (even though the actual course credits add to 12).
Should I mention this in the secondary because I only have one other semester under 12 units, and thus need to answer that question, or should I just assume they'll notice this as well?

....can't believe I have never noticed this mistake before now.

If I were in your shoes, I would mention it under the appropriate section in the secondary by simply stating that it's reported incorrectly on your transcript, along with any other clarifying information.

Last edited:
Sorry, this I have no idea. But I assume for schools that do a holistic screen, if they send you a secondary then they are interested, otherwise they wouldn't waste a secondary. However, receiving a secondary from schools that screen like the UCs doesn't mean much in terms of getting an II, since the competition is just so high. I applied last year and got all secondaries from almost all UCs I applied to pretty quickly, like a week after verification from one or two UCs. This year, none so far, albeit my app was just verified about 2 weeks ago but it's so much stronger compared to last year. What I am saying is this whole process is so unpredictable that we just need to sit back, relax, and let our app do the talking. Hopefully, we have done enough to warrant an II and an acceptance.

Around 50% or so like you've mentioned should get a secondary. They said they've received ~4,000 primary apps and plan to give out around 2,000 secondaries.

Thanks! I am very excited with this secondary invitation. Means they like my AMCAS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys leaving the first question blank or writing N/A if youve had 0 or 1 semester under 12 units?

Are you guys leaving the first question blank or writing N/A if youve had 0 or 1 semester under 12 units?

I was going to put N/A, doubt it matters though. They see the transcripts so they'll know that it doesn't apply to you

@Docmkr how would an applicant be viewed that had a GPA of 3.0-3.1 for undergrad that retook all science courses and got A's in all of them (~50 credit hours) and had a higher than average MCAT? Non-CA resident but fits well with the mission statement :)

Thanks!

Secondary received yesterday. I was expecting a no for sure after waiting this long! Good luck to everyone applying!

How are you accessing the secondary? When I click the link in the email, I get a prompt to reset my password for AMCAS

Anyone else receive a secondary without having their letters attached to the AMCAS application?

Do they accept FAP fee waivers?

Hoping for some love from this school! One of the few MD I'm applying to!

Anyone having troubling submitting the secondary? The portal is not loading for me and I can't submit it even though my secondary has been finished since yesterday.

Anyone having troubling submitting the secondary? The portal is not loading for me and I can't submit it even though my secondary has been finished since yesterday.

I was able to submit yesterday around noon. try another browser

Has anyone received a complete email?
yup! Got one after submitting secondary+paying. Basically told me they received my secondary and my application is now "under review for consideration to receive an on-campus interview"

Fingers crossed!!!

yup! Got one after submitting secondary+paying. Basically told me they received my secondary and my application is now "under review for consideration to receive an on-campus interview"

Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for responding!

How long after submitting your application did you receive the email? I submitted it a couple of days ago and haven't received anything to confirm it yet.

Best of luck!

Thanks for responding!

How long after submitting your application did you receive the email? I submitted it a couple of days ago and haven't received anything to confirm it yet.

Best of luck!
Hmm that seems odd. I submitted mine in the afternoon on Friday and got the email at around 9pm the same day. I'd say double check your application to make sure everything has been submitted/paid and if everything looks good, call them to confirm. Oh and maybe check your junk mail too.

Thanks!! You too! Hope you figure it out

Are you all aiming for around 3000 characters? I’m around 1500 and feel like I have answered the question but I am not sure if I should try and elaborate more. Thanks everyone & good luck to us all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you all aiming for around 3000 characters? I’m around 1500 and feel like I have answered the question but I am not sure if I should try and elaborate more. Thanks everyone & good luck to us all!

Same. I feel as long as you highlight the points you wanna show them you will be fine. Last thing you'd want is to sounds redundant.

I was around 1700 for all of them

Are we all really about to apply to this school for Fall 2019 matriculation without finding out if they'll have federal loans by next fall when we start??

Are we all really about to apply to this school for Fall 2019 matriculation without finding out if they'll have federal loans by next fall when we start??

I'd rather get in and face that dilemma later than not get in at all

Reactions: 3 users

They're pushing to get federal funding as soon as possible, although, with any new medical school that doesn't already have an established university, they have to jump through some hoops with the LCME. Worse case scenario you won't have federal loans for one year. Best case they may have it by next fall. Regardless, they have a loan company set up to fill the void until that time so finding a loan source won't be any trouble.

But again, as stated above, paying a little more for a single loan year is better than not getting into medical school at all.

TL;DR - Don't worry about it

Does anybody know if this school accepts additional letter of recommendation? I know the requirement is 3 but I couldnt find if they accept additional

Is it just me, or have no IIs been sent out yet? I submitted pretty much the same day I got the secondary invite.. and have yet to hear anything

IS

Is it just me, or have no IIs been sent out yet? I submitted pretty much the same day I got the secondary invite.. and have yet to hear anything

IS
I dont think there has been any IIs.

Secondary invitation received. However, there was no link or attached form to complete the secondary. I called Admissions and a very helpful woman (April) said that there is currently an issue with their system. They are working on fixing it and will (possibly) reissue invitations to those affected.

update: Turns out I had already received a secondary, but my email filtered it from my inbox. Today's email was a glitch.

Last edited:
Just got the II!
Complete 9/5
Can't find where to schedule the interview though

Those of you who got II's can you share stats/ if you're IS/OOS please

Reactions: 2 users