2018-2019 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am pretty confident you will get one if you're from the IE or California in general.

Lolll oh, I'm not from California, I just would love to attend school there. Visited california last year and loved it but hmmm because im OOS, I won't receive a secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Lolll oh, I'm not from California, I just would love to attend school there. Visited california last year and loved it but hmmm because im OOS, I won't receive a secondary?

I don't think that's true necessarily.

The school mission is to increase the number of physicians in the IE area, making IS applicants (specially those from IE or surrounding areas) more likely to practice there, but if admissions think you fit their mission, they will send you a secondary, regardless of IS or OOS status. For example, there's a lot of IS that do not get a secondary.

Take your shot and keep your head up! It is a nerve wrecking process, but it is fairly early in the cycle still.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been over 3 weeks since any news. I wonder when the next batch of interview invites will go out.

Has anyone attended an interview yet?

If you're asking in general then yes. There were interviews last week on October 4th and those were the first, at least to my knowledge.

And for anyone whose interested here's a rough interview day schedule:

From your arrival until lunch it's basically all presentations and talks by faculty, the dean and/or the president. Things like financial aid, housing, admissions, IT, the library, etc. are gone over.

Lunch is about an hour with the faculty.

There is then a short tour of the building. After that there are one-on-one interviews and group activities. The group activity basically consists of a small activity that involves problem solving to gauge how well you work in a group.

There will then be a short resiliency test done on computer and a longer personality inventory.

A "wrap-up" of sorts will then happen followed by a tour of the associated hospital, ARMC, that is optional.

I believe the class is about 15%ish OOS at the moment. There is certainly hope for OOS and I know for a fact that state-ties aren't necessarily needed to get an interview or even be accepted as an OOS. All depends on you and your app. Sure IE students may have an easier time but OOS can certainly get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're asking in general then yes. There were interviews last week on October 4th and those were the first, at least to my knowledge.

From your arrival until lunch it's basically all presentations and talks by faculty, the dean and/or the president. Things like financial aid, housing, admissions, IT, the library, etc. are gone over.

There is then a short tour of the building. After that there are one-on-one interviews and group activities. The group activity basically consists of a small activity that involves problem solving to gauge how well you work in a group.

There will then be a short resiliency test done on computer and a longer personality inventory.

A "wrap-up" of sorts will then happen followed by a tour of the associated hospital, ARMC, that is optional.

I believe the class is about 15%ish OOS at the moment. There is certainly hope for OOS and I know for a fact that state-ties aren't necessarily needed to get an interview or even be accepted as an OOS. All depends on you and your app. Sure IE students may have an easier time but OOS can certainly get in.

Thank you for the update and reassuring words. Any estimates on how many students were interviewed on Oct 4th?

Thank you for the update and reassuring words. Any estimates on how many students were interviewed on Oct 4th?

Interviews are held every week on Thursday and each interview group is around 20 people. Today was the second interview day so about 40ish people have interviewed so far.

What is the easiest California to get into? Also, where are you getting your info from?
CNU’s probably the easiest; I’m not sure if Loma Linda’s that easy to get into because they are very mission focused.

FYI, there was a lot of scholarship money given out ... think >10k/year for our class. I would consider this school, but if you get into a UC, go there ofc.

CNU’s probably the easiest; I’m not sure if Loma Linda’s that easy to get into because they are very mission focused.
Thanks! Yea I know each CA med school is different. It seems This school cares about IE applicants

Do they ask traditional med school questions?

Is it too late to submit a secondary here? I received one in the first wave that was sent out and should be able to finish it in the next couple of days...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm praying that they have a new wave of interview invites today. This one-month of no news has been torture.
:boom:

Wow! OOS and one-day turnaround for II? That's amazing man. Grats!

Did you get the "secondary received" email?

That's amazing. You must have had something in your application that they really valued. Props to you man!

Are you able to schedule an interview? What are the available dates looking like now?

That's amazing. You must have had something in your application that they really valued. Props to you man!

Are you able to schedule an interview? What are the available dates looking like now?

Thanks and feb 21st is the only date

Did anyone else submit a secondary and not receive a 'Completed' email?

Have any acceptance offers been released from this school yet?

Last edited:
Can someone verify the address of the interview location? The link they send me expired.

Could you comment on whether the interview was open file or close file? Thank you!!!

Could anyone please pm me the “Campus Interview Schedule” and “interview day information”?
I just noticed the link they sent in their email expired, and I didn’t save them ahh!
I don’t want to be a pest to the admissions office

Could anyone please pm me the “Campus Interview Schedule” and “interview day information”?
I just noticed the link they sent in their email expired, and I didn’t save them ahh!
I don’t want to be a pest to the admissions office

I’m on my phone and I only have screenshots, but hope this helps

Attachments

• 07ECC926-6B10-4756-B08F-CDB8D13BDC29.png
    07ECC926-6B10-4756-B08F-CDB8D13BDC29.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 184
  • FD3322A4-C9B5-4FD0-A1CC-5FA0E089D4A3.png
    FD3322A4-C9B5-4FD0-A1CC-5FA0E089D4A3.png
    468.8 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: 2 users
I’m withdrawing my interview here so I hope one of you gets it!

Could you comment on whether the interview was open file or close file? Thank you!!!

When I interviewed last year it was open file, the interviewer had my AMCAS right there with him. I don't believe anything has changed since then.

Are rejections sent via email or snail mail? I submitted my secondary back in early September but have not heard anything since then.

Any chance that they will give out more interviews? Complete since mid September.

Hi all, I have been looking on MSAR and on their website but cannot seem to find specific information on LOR.

How many individual letters do they take? And do they have to be any specific kind (eg: science prof, leadership, etc)?

Hi all, I have been looking on MSAR and on their website but cannot seem to find specific information on LOR.

How many individual letters do they take? And do they have to be any specific kind (eg: science prof, leadership, etc)?

This is from their Website:

“All applicants must submit three (3) letters of recommendation through the American Medical College Application System (AMCAS). If a Pre-Health Advisory Committee’s letter of evaluation is available, it may take the place of the other letters requirement.”

Hello everyone,

I have a question about campus visits. I saw on CUSM's website that they do not offer tours to applicants. But, do they offer any opportunities to visit campus and learn more about the medical program, or is this generally not welcomed? I will be in San Bernardino in mid-November and I am very interested in exploring campus.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello everyone,

I have a question about campus visits. I saw on CUSM's website that they do not offer tours to applicants. But, do they offer any opportunities to visit campus and learn more about the medical program, or is this generally not welcomed? I will be in San Bernardino in mid-November and I am very interested in exploring campus.

Thanks in advance for your help!

They more-or-less don't have a permanent campus built at this point. It's supposedly going to be ready next year.
You can check out Arrowhead Hospital to see the campus under construction nearby

Canceled my interview, hopefully one of you gets it good luck

Does anyone know the primary, secondary, interview, and acceptance/WL statistics?

Interviewing here sometime soon- I feel pretty out of place. This school is my number one school, but I feel like its a hard sell for someone to see me matching their mission as a white, oos, non spanish speaking guy coming from middle class parents. I guess just demographically I feel pretty removed from who I perceive them looking for in an applicant. Looking for some feedback on my "why inland empire" type of question

the inland empire is a place that I know well from years of outdoor activities such as rock climbing and mountain biking. though I never lived here, I visited frequently while living in San Diego. From a medical perspective I am interested in primary care, specifically preventative medicine. I also have interest in addiction medicine. Having had extensive experience working with homeless children, and hitting some times of desperate financial strain myself I think that I am understanding to the situation that many people are facing in the inland empire (unhealthy foods for low costs, stress of no medical coverage, stress of not being able to provide for yourself).

what do you think?

Anyone know when acceptances will go out for those that interviewed in on Oct 4 and Oct 11? Thanks.
The information they gave out on interview day said acceptances will be made on a rolling basis starting in November.

Does anyone know how many applicants this school has each cycle?