2018-2019 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey does anyone else get another email to complete supplemental questions AFTER submitting the secondary? 0_0 I thought the email was II but nope...another 5 questions (3000 characters)... what is this madness

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey does anyone else get another email to complete supplemental questions AFTER submitting the secondary? 0_0 I thought the email was II but nope...another 5 questions (3000 characters)... what is this madness

I'm guessing that you applied to both California Northstate and California University of Science and Medicine. Being two separate schools, they send out their own secondaries :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm guessing that you applied to both California Northstate and California University of Science and Medicine. Being two separate schools, they send out their own secondaries :)

ahh omg already brain fart so early in the cycle thanks for your nice reply. i feel silly

ahh omg already brain fart so early in the cycle thanks for your nice reply. i feel silly
I thought I had missed another round of secondaries there for a second. *deep sigh of relief*

The 87 instate and 7 out of state are not %. That is student, 87 + 7 is 94 students for year 2021

Ah, thank you! I will edit my original post.

How is Cal Northstate's reputation right now with students? Looks like they'll be preparing to match their inaugural class this year

Speaking in generalities, students are largely happy with the faculty but dissatisfied with certain aspects of the staff/administration (e.g. financial aid).

As for performance, we're chugging along: mean USMLE Step 1 score of 230 for the Class of 2019; 239 for the Class of 2020. Anecdotes from both cohorts that clerkship preceptors are happy (thus far) with our clinical skills and knowledge. We'll see what happens with the match in March.

At the end of the day, CNUCOM will likely never lead US News and World Report rankings, but 1) if you want to get an MD in California, 2) are not a state resident, and 3) can't get into Stanford or Keck, well then, there aren't too many options, are there? It's California Northstate University, California University of Science and Medicine, and Loma Linda University (to be joined eventually by Kaiser's new medical school in Pasadena).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Current M1 here! I can't speak much to the application process and logistic questions (the admissions office would know best), but I can do my best to answer any questions you have about the school itself and what it's like being an M1 at the school now. If I don't know the answers off the top of my head, I will try to find out more information to answer other questions as well!

I've also been lucky enough to take the M1 fall courses at USC Keck through my masters degree and can compare between the curriculums at both schools if anyone wants to learn more!

Is anyone else interviewing here on the 21st? Is anyone going to the pizza party the night before?

Is it just me, or have not too many IIs been sent out thus far? I submitted August 13th and have not heard anything yet.. also I’m IS

Hello everyone, I have a question about one of the secondary prompts:

If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

By "gap years", are they referring to gap years taken during undergrad? Or would the time after receiving a bachelors degree and before matriculating to med school also count as a gap year?

In my case, I went directly to college after high school and completed all 4 undergrad years without any intervals. However, after graduating from college I took 2 years off to focus on work. I am not sure if I this would be the appropriate prompt to discuss what I've been doing for the past 2 years after graduating from college.

I'd appreciate your help!

Hello everyone, I have a question about one of the secondary prompts:

If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)

By "gap years", are they referring to gap years taken during undergrad? Or would the time after receiving a bachelors degree and before matriculating to med school also count as a gap year?

In my case, I went directly to college after high school and completed all 4 undergrad years without any intervals. However, after graduating from college I took 2 years off to focus on work. I am not sure if I this would be the appropriate prompt to discuss what I've been doing for the past 2 years after graduating from college.

I'd appreciate your help!

Basically ANY time that made your education discontinuous. Whether that was semester(s) off during your undergraduate career, or time between college graduation and matriculation (aka gap years). So in your case, you did not have any semesters off, but you had two gap years to focus on work. Those two intervening years are what they are asking about.

The idea is that they want to know if you were productive with your time off. Focusing on work/finances is a perfectly acceptable reason. They just want to make sure you weren't like, sitting in a basement for two years playing video games

Oh, also a current M1 here. Some may recognize me from my posts in the 2017-2018 CNUCOM thread and other posts in the MCAT subforum. I'll try to check in as often as I can to provide advice and guidance and answers to whatever I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else interviewing here on the 21st? Is anyone going to the pizza party the night before?

If your travel plans allow for it, I would go to the pre-interview mixer the night before. It was a great opportunity to see the school and know where everything is, which is one less thing to worry about on interview day itself. It's also a great time to talk to some of the current students (without the presence of faculty hovering around) and get a clearer idea of the atmosphere at the school.

Basically ANY time that made your education discontinuous. Whether that was semester(s) off during your undergraduate career, or time between college graduation and matriculation (aka gap years). So in your case, you did not have any semesters off, but you had two gap years to focus on work. Those two intervening years are what they are asking about.

The idea is that they want to know if you were productive with your time off. Focusing on work/finances is a perfectly acceptable reason. They just want to make sure you weren't like, sitting in a basement for two years playing video games

Thank you so much, Zenabi! I have a follow up question. If I talk about what I have been doing since graduating, I will be very limited on what I can say for the following question since my response would be similar:

(Optional) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

Since both are listed as optional, could I only respond to one of them? Or would you suggest I answer both? (I applied last year to CNUCOM, so by explaining what I've been doing this past year I would also be answering what I've been doing during my gap year)

Thank you so much, Zenabi! I have a follow up question. If I talk about what I have been doing since graduating, I will be very limited on what I can say for the following question since my response would be similar:

(Optional) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)

Since both are listed as optional, could I only respond to one of them? Or would you suggest I answer both? (I applied last year to CNUCOM, so by explaining what I've been doing this past year I would also be answering what I've been doing during my gap year)

I would answer both. The first question gives you the opportunity to list and describe exactly what you were doing during any gaps in your education, but the second one is really your chance to shine and explain WHY your activities during those times off were valuable and HOW it makes you a better candidate than last time. If you applied before, schools definitely want to know what makes you more "special" the second time around, especially if they passed over your application last time. This is your chance to share that with them in your own words. (Ex: new skills you picked up at work or volunteering that would make you a better doctor; experiences from your gap year activities that reinforced your determination to become a doctor, etc.)

I would answer both. The first question gives you the opportunity to list and describe exactly what you were doing during any gaps in your education, but the second one is really your chance to shine and explain WHY your activities during those times off were valuable and HOW it makes you a better candidate than last time. If you applied before, schools definitely want to know what makes you more "special" the second time around, especially if they passed over your application last time. This is your chance to share that with them in your own words. (Ex: new skills you picked up at work or volunteering that would make you a better doctor; experiences from your gap year activities that reinforced your determination to become a doctor, etc.)

This right here. Brilliant

Alright, thank you so much!

Could a current student please briefly comment on what the Medical Spanish group does? Do they help practice/learn Spanish medical terminology at all? It doesn't look like this group has too much info posted on the CNUCOM website.

Could a current student please briefly comment on what the Medical Spanish group does? Do they help practice/learn Spanish medical terminology at all? It doesn't look like this group has too much info posted on the CNUCOM website.
We actually just got an update from their group! They generally break up into two types of meetings: 1) introductory for learning basic words and phrases and 2) advanced for stringing the vocabulary into grammatical sentences and understand patients in a clinical setting. They also have guest speakers come in once in a while, (but not sure about the next speaker's topic yet). There are also occasionally practice patient chief complaints posted in Spanish on the club's Facebook group for you to test your skills. So they definitely help you develop your medical Spanish terminology and skills. We also have a volunteer clinic, Clinica Tepati, that the med students can volunteer at, and the population is mainly Spanish-speaking only. There are student Spanish translators to help in clinic, but that clinic is also a great way to practice your medical Spanish and get exposure to it!

A lot of the clubs are still trying to get off the ground, since most clubs are only a year or two old and everyone is always busy with classes, but everything is picking up speed this year now that there's more experience and organization. Our school also mainly uses Facebook groups as our way of communication and updates, so there aren't any separate websites or listings on the school website for each club.

...everything is picking up speed this year now that there's more experience and organization. Our school also mainly uses Facebook groups as our way of communication and updates, so there aren't any separate websites or listings on the school website for each club.

Second this. We're also actively working on improving the school website and the website for clubs, but Facebook does provide a convenient all-in-one to host files, create events, send messages, etc.

We actually just got an update from their group! They generally break up into two types of meetings: 1) introductory for learning basic words and phrases and 2) advanced for stringing the vocabulary into grammatical sentences and understand patients in a clinical setting. They also have guest speakers come in once in a while, (but not sure about the next speaker's topic yet). There are also occasionally practice patient chief complaints posted in Spanish on the club's Facebook group for you to test your skills. So they definitely help you develop your medical Spanish terminology and skills. We also have a volunteer clinic, Clinica Tepati, that the med students can volunteer at, and the population is mainly Spanish-speaking only. There are student Spanish translators to help in clinic, but that clinic is also a great way to practice your medical Spanish and get exposure to it!

A lot of the clubs are still trying to get off the ground, since most clubs are only a year or two old and everyone is always busy with classes, but everything is picking up speed this year now that there's more experience and organization. Our school also mainly uses Facebook groups as our way of communication and updates, so there aren't any separate websites or listings on the school website for each club.

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed and prompt reply! You have been very helpful with my questions. Will be submitting my secondary this week. I was waitlisted this past cycle at CNUCOM and am hoping to get accepted this time around. The more I hear about this school, the more excited I get about it. Really hoping I'll hear back with some good news. :)

Oh clarification: The school itself doesn't use Facebook as its main announcement/school platform, we use Canvas for our classes and meetings. Facebook is where the clubs and the different class cohorts communicate with each other.

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed and prompt reply! You have been very helpful with my questions. Will be submitting my secondary this week. I was waitlisted this past cycle at CNUCOM and am hoping to get accepted this time around. The more I hear about this school, the more excited I get about it. Really hoping I'll hear back with some good news. :)

No problem. Wishing you all the best of luck! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

II! Complete 9/16. LM 69. IS. URM.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone out of state received a II yet? How organized is this admissions committee? I have a friend that flew cross country to take a tour of the place in May ( as this is a number 1 choice) who meets the stats and has not got an interview yet-. I applied as well. My husband's family is from the area.

Has anyone out of state received a II yet? How organized is this admissions committee? I have a friend that flew cross country to take a tour of the place in May ( as this is a number 1 choice) who meets the stats and has not got an interview yet-. I applied as well. My husband's family is from the area.

AFAIK the admissions committee meets on a weekly basis. This was the case last year when I was applying, and I believe this continues to be the case this year. CNU has only had one interview date so far, and our interview season often extends into May, so don't be discouraged if you or your friend have yet to receive an II :)

Fair warning, CNU does have an undergraduate campus, the College of Health Sciences, that links into the Pharm and MD programs here with 2+4, 3+4, and 4+4 BS/MD and BS/PharmD combined degree programs, as well as a Pre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate (PMPB) program. The Class of 2022 has 97 students, so I estimate at least a similar number of slots for the Class of 2023.

Last edited:
I'm out of state and had an interview here, but I think it was the first interview of the year for them, so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

AFAIK the admissions committee meets on a weekly basis. This was the case last year when I was applying, and I believe this continues to be the case this year. CNU has only had one interview date so far, and our interview season often extends into May, so don't be discouraged if you or your friend have yet to receive an II :)

Fair warning, CNU does have an undergraduate campus, the College of Health Sciences, that links into the Pharm and MD programs here with 2+4, 3+4, and 4+4 BS/MD and BS/PharmD combined degree programs, as well as a Pre-Medical Post-Baccalaureate (PMPB) program. The Class of 2022 has 97 students, so I estimate at least a similar number of slots for the Class of 2023.
Not to de-rail the thread but in your signature - did you really only apply to two schools and get accepted?? That's so brave!! Lol

Not to de-rail the thread but in your signature - did you really only apply to two schools and get accepted?? That's so brave!! Lol

Not so much brave but rather unique circumstances (low GPA = potential autoscreen, etc).

LizzyM ~70

I added this school like a week ago but have not gotten a secondary yet. Is it safe to assume that I've been screened out? :(

LizzyM ~70

I added this school like a week ago but have not gotten a secondary yet. Is it safe to assume that I've been screened out? :(

Absolutely not! I personally received my secondary about a month after submission of my primary, and this was also in Oct/Nov last year.

Absolutely not! I personally received my secondary about a month after submission of my primary, and this was also in Oct/Nov last year.
Thanks for the reassurance..! :) Literally 2 hours after I posted, they spammed my inbox with like 6 secondary invites. Haha. Maybe they read my comment. Hehe.

Thank you! I’m hoping my friend from NJ really gets an interview invite -she toured in May and just loved it. Hopefully they will remember that she toured pre-applying!!

Last edited:
Waitlisted today after my interview. Disappointed to be honest, because I really liked this school, but at least it isn't a rejection.

Waitlisted today after my interview. Disappointed to be honest, because I really liked this school, but at least it isn't a rejection.

How did you find out you were on the waitlist? Did you get an email or is it just silence?

How did you find out you were on the waitlist? Did you get an email or is it just silence?
I got an email! They said at the interview that waitlisted candidates just wouldn't hear anything, but I did get an email, so they must have changed their minds.

I got an email! They said at the interview that waitlisted candidates just wouldn't hear anything, but I did get an email, so they must have changed their minds.

Oh, I see, I’ve been sitting on silence, so I assumed that I was waitlisted. But now I’m worried I could also be rejected. Thanks though, good luck! I hope you get off soon!

Btw did you hear back this morning or just now?

Oh, I see, I’ve been sitting on silence, so I assumed that I was waitlisted. But now I’m worried I could also be rejected. Thanks though, good luck! I hope you get off soon!

Btw did you hear back this morning or just now?
I heard back early in the afternoon, about an hour ago or so. Don't freak out yet, I'm the first person who posted in the thread...maybe you are waiting for an acceptance email!! :) Hang in there!

I was waitlisted today as well. Profoundly disappointed. I gave it my best on interview day, and even had multiple interviewers tell me I did a great job.

I was waitlisted today as well. Profoundly disappointed. I gave it my best on interview day, and even had multiple interviewers tell me I did a great job.
I feel the same way! I think sometimes it is hard to know exactly what the reason for it is. I've also been keeping in mind what someone told me about interviews, that interview day is like a ladder. Getting the invite means you're at least on the ladder, but not everybody starts off on the same rung. Maybe you and I really did do well on the interview, but we started off on lower rungs of the ladder because of other things, and we haven't quite gotten up and over just yet. Regardless, I am rooting for you, and I hope we both get pulled off the waitlist ASAP! :)

I feel the same way! I think sometimes it is hard to know exactly what the reason for it is. I've also been keeping in mind what someone told me about interviews, that interview day is like a ladder. Getting the invite means you're at least on the ladder, but not everybody starts off on the same rung. Maybe you and I really did do well on the interview, but we started off on lower rungs of the ladder because of other things, and we haven't quite gotten up and over just yet. Regardless, I am rooting for you, and I hope we both get pulled off the waitlist ASAP! :)

Thank you, DrRainbow. I hope we both do as well!

Is this school fully accredited yet??

CNUCOM (like the other ones that have just opened ie. CUSM, Seton Hall, etc) will hopefully be fully accredited upon graduation of their first matriculating class. For CNUCOM, this will be at the start of next summer.

CNUCOM (like the other ones that have just opened ie. CUSM, Seton Hall, etc) will hopefully be fully accredited upon graduation of their first matriculating class. For CNUCOM, this will be at the start of next summer.
Awesome. So does that mean federal loans will be available to the 2019 entering class?