2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me how Campbell views OOS students? I was born in NC and lived there for 7 years before me and my family moved away. The rest of my family still lives there and we have property there. Do they take strong ties in to consideration? Thank you!

I def don't think Campbell is biased for in-state applicants, your history in NC may even help you land an II

Members don't see this ad.

Do they have a specific day of the week when they send out the acceptance/rejection emails post interview?

Do they have a specific day of the week when they send out the acceptance/rejection emails post interview?

They sometimes do a few on Tuesday and some random Thursday. However, a majority of decisions go out on Friday—every Friday.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ i'm really sorry to hear that. anyone hear back who interviewed 10/30 (or around then)?

I interviewed 11/06 and haven’t heard anything. Guess no news is good news at this point haha
Same here 11/6 and still waiting. Hopefully it’s good news, but at this point who knows

Same here 11/6 and still waiting. Hopefully it’s good news, but at this point who knows

Maybe tomorrow will be our day haha

Members don't see this ad :)
*chirp chirp*........ *chirp chirp*

hoping for the best today!

Reactions: 1 users
The instruction here at Campbell has taken a nose-dive over the past year. I would recommend that anyone considering this school to look at their other options first.
Also, OMM is about as much "real" science as Harry Potter magic. Don't drink the cool-aid.
Campbell is very OMM heavy and I feel making students less prepared for the USMLE. (yes, you NEED to take the USMLE if you want to be competitive for residencies)
Here's a secret that DO schools will not tell you... most program directors for residency will only pull from applicants who take the USMLE. Save yourself the headaches and choose a different school unless you believe that OMM is the future of medicine. Oh... and don't get me started on "Clinical Skills."
Just trying to help future doctors.

The instruction here at Campbell has taken a nose-dive over the past year. I would recommend that anyone considering this school to look at their other options first.
Also, OMM is about as much "real" science as Harry Potter magic. Don't drink the cool-aid.
Campbell is very OMM heavy and I feel making students less prepared for the USMLE. (yes, you NEED to take the USMLE if you want to be competitive for residencies)
Here's a secret that DO schools will not tell you... most program directors for residency will only pull from applicants who take the USMLE. Save yourself the headaches and choose a different school unless you believe that OMM is the future of medicine. Oh... and don't get me started on "Clinical Skills."
They seemed to be showing off really great board scores during the interview so im curious about other student's thoughts about this as well.

They seemed to be showing off really great board scores during the interview so im curious about other student's thoughts about this as well.
That's what I thought too! I think we should also look at the match results for the last class. That combination should be a good predictor.

I'm really disappointed this MS-2 feels this way. I'm a MS-1 so obviously my experience is really limited since I'm only 1/4 of the way through preclinical but I feel the instruction quality, at least in the classroom, has been exceptional. I've spoken to other classmates who feel the same way. I've also spoken to MS-2s who felt the instruction and particularly the integration between clinical skills and lecture was poorly organized during block 5 this year. I do feel the faculty take our feedback seriously (within reason) so I am optimistic that they will communicate better after receiving poor feedback from the class ahead of us. I do feel some of the OMM faculty are difficult to follow and the education quality is not as exceptional in that discipline, but one must remember, it's OMM, it's relatively subjective, and there are a very limited number of physicians qualified to teach it, so finding people who are both subject matter experts and good educators isn't as easy as in other fields. Regardless of whether you care about OMM or not, it's tested on the board exam you must pass for licensure. If you don't want to learn it, don't go to a DO school.

I agree that the administration does push for COMLEX only and seems to live in the fantasy world of "AGCME programs have been told to accept it and SOMA has submitted a letter pushing them to do so." Pretty much what I expected from a DO school. Prepare for and take the USMLE if you want to. There is plenty of break time built into the curriculum to study. CUSOM students have historically done well on it, and it's only on you if you don't take it. Also, I feel the more open faculty members are pretty up front about the uncertainty with the merger and support us in doing what we need to do to succeed. The reality is, if you're doing FM/IM, probably not necessary, and CUSOM historically has the most matches in those fields, so I think that is a factor as well.

That's what I thought too! I think we should also look at the match results for the last class. That combination should be a good predictor.

I agree that they show off the board scores for both exams, which are relatively impressive compared to other newer DO schools. The match results are available in the associated thread in the DO student forum. CUSOM students from the first two classes have done well.

Overall guys I'm really happy that I'm at CUSOM. I have heard horror stories from students at other DO schools - lots of students clinically anxious about flunking out of med school for weeks until the curve is applied at the end of the block, faculty not teaching to boards, etc. I don't see that here at all. My biggest gripe is that I think they hit us too hard during year 1 and back off a lot during year 2 and I feel they could distribute that a little better, although I'm glad I will be able to budget some time for board review next year. Another thing that people forget when choosing a DO school is that unlike most allo schools, many DO schools don't have home residency spots for graduates to fall back on. At CUSOM, we have a lot, and to me, that's worth more than a lot of the other stuff. Just my 2 cents. As always, message me with any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected post-II today. Interviewed 11/12. High 60s LizzyM. OOS.

Had a pretty disappointing interview experience, so not very surprised. Hope not all of their interviewers are like the ones I interviewed with.

has anyone from 10/29 or 10/30 heard yet..? this is strange. its been more than 30 days :(

They say that no news is good news. But at this point I just want to know. I’ve to put deposit on another school next week and it’s been almost a month

They say that no news is good news. But at this point I just want to know. I’ve to put deposit on another school next week and it’s been almost a month

Congrats on the acceptance. That’s honestly the big hurdle, in my opinion. Sure, we all have preferences when it comes to schools, but any school will ultimately make you a doctor.

Don’t think it’d be appropriate to name names on a public forum, but one interviewer’s cellphone kept ringing during the interview; he condescendingly laughed at me for sharing a fun fact about myself that, according to him, was “already in my application” (even though it was only included in a LoR that I waived my right to see...); and then he went on a long conservative political rant.

Another interviewer just spent the whole time questioning the quality of my DIY post-bacc and telling me she was worried that I wasn’t prepared for the academic rigors of med school. (Note that I have a >3.7 gpa and >505 mcat.)

After the interviews, a CUSOM OMS-1 student asked me who my interviewers were. I told him their names, and he just gave me a look of discomfort — pretty much signaling “Ouch.”

Kinda bummed, since this was my first med school interview. Honestly don’t think I got a fair chance. Hoping things get better from here on out, though, and not gonna let one bout of bad luck shoot me down.

It is really hard to read those interviews. I felt like 2/3 of my interviews went AWFUL. The first one asked me why I deserved the spot, and the next one spent most of the interview grilling me on parts of my application. And I got in. Then there's the people on here that talk about how well their interviews went and get rejected. I really think they review the stats again along with interviews. Plus, they seem to interview A LOT of people, so their acceptances after are kind of low. My interview group had 24, and I was the only instate. And this was second week of Nov. And they interview from end of July to April.

Did you use this address:
4350 US-421, Lillington, NC 27546
for the interview? Or did you guys end up using the one for the country club one?

Did you use this address:
4350 US-421, Lillington, NC 27546
for the interview? Or did you guys end up using the one for the country club one?

Use the 4350. It drops a pin right over the building. Either way, you can’t miss the school. You’ll know it for sure.

Forgot to post here. I rescinded my acceptance and scholarship offer a few weeks ago. I hope it goes to one of you deserving people. Good luck!

A question for current students: I know this has been answered on previous years, but I'm curious if there are any changes. CUSOM includes a laptop in our tuition, right? Do we have a choice (e.g. Mac vs Dell)? And are we required to use the one they give us? Also, do we get iPads? I'm trying to figure out if I should hold off on buying a new Macbook.

A question for current students: I know this has been answered on previous years, but I'm curious if there are any changes. CUSOM includes a laptop in our tuition, right? Do we have a choice (e.g. Mac vs Dell)? And are we required to use the one they give us? Also, do we get iPads? I'm trying to figure out if I should hold off on buying a new Macbook.

I'm not a student, but I asked the same question my interview day. They only offer the Dell (I think because of test taking software and obviously it's cheaper) and no iPads. They're not mandatory to use in class, but they are needed for the exams. From what the students told me, it's easier just using one laptop. Hope this helps!

hey, this might be a premature question,
but when do financial aid awards go out? I am already a little worried about finances

hey, this might be a premature question,
but when do financial aid awards go out? I am already a little worried about finances

During the financial aid presentation, she said she’d start awarding in April.

I'm in the process to apply to this school and I'm kinda worry my MCAT us awful but I do have good GPA and also I have around 10 years of clinical experience in the field (yes I'm in my 30s ). I hope this really work out for me

I'm in the process to apply to this school and I'm kinda worry my MCAT us awful but I do have good GPA and also I have around 10 years of clinical experience in the field (yes I'm in my 30s ). I hope this really work out for me

It depends on your definition of awful :) Some people think that a 510 is awful, which is well above the avg for DO schools

i think i'm going to try to get in touch with the school about decisions from the end of october. They definitely said we would hear back within 30 days right?

i think i'm going to try to get in touch with the school about decisions from the end of october. They definitely said we would hear back within 30 days right?
I would wait until after this week as they've been sending out weekly decisions the past few weeks and I feel like we might hear back in the next couple days

Not sure anyone else got this but they sent me an email last night that read the following:

"Thanks for coming to visit our campus during interview day! Also, thanks for your patience during this stressful time. While you were on campus, we shared with you that we hoped to have a new decision regarding your status within 30 days. Unfortunately, it will be a little longer. We are expecting to have decisions out by the end of the day on Monday, December 17th."

I contacted admission office today regarding weather or not I should submit my application now or wait until MCAT results are released on Feb 20 (I have to retake it since mine is old 2013). The lady told me that was ok for me to wait until Feb to submit. I think that is too risky. Any thoughts?????

Not sure anyone else got this but they sent me an email last night that read the following:

"Thanks for coming to visit our campus during interview day! Also, thanks for your patience during this stressful time. While you were on campus, we shared with you that we hoped to have a new decision regarding your status within 30 days. Unfortunately, it will be a little longer. We are expecting to have decisions out by the end of the day on Monday, December 17th."

I wonder if they realize deposits are due next week for other schools....

Reactions: 2 users

How long have you been waiting to hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I contacted admission office today regarding weather or not I should submit my application now or wait until MCAT results are released on Feb 20 (I have to retake it since mine is old 2013). The lady told me that was ok for me to wait until Feb to submit. I think that is too risky. Any thoughts?????

I would not apply this cycle. Cusom waited to send me a secondary until my MCAT came in. I think if you get an interview anywhere it will most likely be for interview waitlist, some schools won’t even look at your application if you have a pending MCAT. I would wait till next cycle