2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, Just wondering if anyone waitlisted around early December has heard back?

Hi!! Not sure if this helps but from what I've seen/heard they don't accept on the waitlist based on chronological order or ranking at this point. They meet once a week or so and reevaluate who to take off the waitlist based on how many spots they have open and who is on the waitlist at that time. They encourage sending in updated clinical hours, grades, etc. to add to your application for when they review it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
They also have no received deposits for every spot! They offered the seats but they have not yet been taken so there is still space in the class as of now.

Reactions: 1 users
Scheduled for an interview here. Any current students or someone who has interviewed I can message ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats LUCOM match rate?
97.6 and their boards passing scores were great for this past year and have been on an upward trend since the first class. Now at 96. I mean at this point I think both programs are relatively similar as far as boards passing rate and match... I'm just torn on what makes which better (beyond the minor deviations in percentage)

Reactions: 1 user
Idk if I like how rural Campbell is. But at the same time, I had no clue I'd like lucom as much as I did until I went there

Lucom had their first match last year so this year it's expected to be even better given their increased boards scores respectively so they'll be at 98% projected and they matched into numerous competitive specialities just their first time out of the gate. I guess my main issue at this point is how rural Campbell is but that's kind of a bad reason to give up on a school. Maybe students have better experiences with boards prep or stuff like that- idk though. Also getting to Campbell is a pain for me (it's farther by a lot) but also not a good excuse given the novel invention of planes (lucom is also a plane ride- it's just easie Bc it's a quick flight and the campus is secondary from the airport). Idk if lucom is too religious for me. I'm Christian but I'm
Not super religious etc

Seconds * from the airport.. sorry typos. So torn on what to do... any thoughts from the ppl in the audience? Also kind of discouraged by the fact I'm interviewing for waitlist

I interviewed at CUSOM with other acceptances. I figured it’s worth a shot to interview everywhere you have the opportunity because you might end up liking a place you never expected to.

Seconds * from the airport.. sorry typos. So torn on what to do... any thoughts from the ppl in the audience? Also kind of discouraged by the fact I'm interviewing for waitlist

I agree with @Jwain

However CUSOM match is 100%, for only graduating 2 classes, which is very impressive. The places and programs that they get into are absurdly impressive. I have a friend who’s a 4th year who just interviewed with people from Harvard. The school has a fantastic relationship with some of the top MD programs in the country like UNC and Duke. Their research is super up and coming so the level of autonomy you would have there is amazing.

... what Im saying is... just because it’s rural, don’t make that your reason for not going there.

How did u feel about the surrounding area? See that's the major reason I'm probs not going to fall through. It's that I just don't know until I see the place and this is a huge decision

Yes I feel like I should go ... I mean I may have issues with further deposit deadlines but I should maybe go so if it does happen that I get waitlisted and maybe accepted (obvs could be rejected, just hypothetical) I'll know I considered all my options and made the best decision with all the info at hand

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I feel like I should go ... I mean I may have issues with further deposit deadlines but I should maybe go so if it does happen that I get waitlisted and maybe accepted (obvs could be rejected, just hypothetical) I'll know I considered all my options and made the best decision with all the info at hand

Real talk.... there’s a **** ton of people in our class, so socially we will be set. After exams they hire buses to take students to Raleigh to celebrate being done with a block. With that being said, the first 2 years living in a rural area is to your benefit. Less distractions. Less non-med school friends trying to stop by and distracting you. If you REALLY don’t want to live near Buies Creek, you can carpool from Raleigh with other classmates. So it’s kind of what you make it.

To play devil's advocate, if you don't think there is a large probability of you actually going, it would be very considerate of you to give up your interview spot for someone who might not have any acceptances yet. You earned that interview spot fair and square, so you do what you will with it. But giving it up might be the most good you could do with it.

U successfully convinced me to look into Campbell more. At least if I get rejected, I'll know I properly pursued all my options to the best of my ability. You're right tho- we will be studying so we won't need tons in the surrounding. I guess I'm booking my flight!

To play devil's advocate, if you don't think there is a large probability of you actually going, it would be very considerate of you to give up your interview spot for someone who might not have any acceptances yet. You earned that interview spot fair and square, so you do what you will with it. But giving it up might be the most good you could do with it.

And figuring this out ASAP to be fair to committee and future students

U successfully convinced me to look into Campbell more. At least if I get rejected, I'll know I properly pursued all my options to the best of my ability. You're right tho- we will be studying so we won't need tons in the surrounding. I guess I'm booking my flight!

just to chime in - if you read the above comments (i can attest to them being true based on my own experience interviewing there) you are not going to straight up get accepted. they are interviewing for the waitlist right now (this is verified, admissions told us all personally on interview day), and so you will either get waitlisted or rejected. If I were you (assuming you're interested in campbell), i'd put your deposit in for LUCOM, interview at campbell, and if you get waitlisted and then get pulled off the waitlist in the coming months (there is allegedly a lot of movement), make your decision then - it's safe. That is what I have done.

With that being said, I got into LUCOM too and and preferred Campbell way more. No hate, just my personal opinion and idea of where I could see myself. Currently waitlisted there tho

just to chime in - if you read the above comments (i can attest to them being true based on my own experience interviewing there) you are not going to straight up get accepted. they are interviewing for the waitlist right now (this is verified, admissions told us all personally on interview day), and so you will either get waitlisted or rejected. If I were you (assuming you're interested in campbell), i'd put your deposit in for LUCOM, interview at campbell, and if you get waitlisted and then get pulled off the waitlist in the coming months (there is allegedly a lot of movement), make your decision then - it's safe. That is what I have done.

With that being said, I got into LUCOM too and and preferred Campbell way more. No hate, just my personal opinion and idea of where I could see myself. Currently waitlisted there tho
Actually, can u tell me what u liked more ?? Very interested in knowing !

I was placed on the pre-interview waitlist, what are chances? when do they interview until? thank you

I interviewed at CUSOM with other acceptances. I figured it’s worth a shot to interview everywhere you have the opportunity because you might end up liking a place you never expected to.
Hey we interviewed the same day, did you get accepted?

Hey we interviewed the same day, did you get accepted?

No I’m waitlisted still. Currently have my deposit at KCOM. I’m also waitlisted at DMU. DMU says movement doesn’t usually start till April and May so I’m assuming CUSOM will be similar.

for anyone waitlisted or deferred are you sending updates or just waiting?

for anyone waitlisted or deferred are you sending updates or just waiting?
Also wondering the same thing. I was waitlisted in early January and I sent them a LOI and am debating if I should send updates on my activities etc. again now or wait a little bit esp if movement on the waitlist isn't for a while? I feel like sending something would show initiative and couldn't hurt at least.

I'm so torn. Just got into LUCOM. can't decide if I should go on the CUSOM interview on feb 26th... help
I would say, definitely do it. I got into WVSOM and when I went to CUSOM, I got in love with the professionalism of the staff and the school itself, then after I got accepted at CUSOM, I turned down the acceptance from WVSOM. If you can afford it, do it. You will be so amazed by the school, believe me.

I would say, definitely do it. I got into WVSOM and when I went to CUSOM, I got in love with the professionalism of the staff and the school itself, then after I got accepted at CUSOM, I turned down the acceptance from WVSOM. If you can afford it, do it. You will be so amazed by the school, believe me.
I’m going ... kind of scared for the interview (I got into wvsom too lol already turned that down for lucom)... only nervous bc when I looked up the interview Qs they were endless. I prepped the ones that seemed most important but def not all. Interview Tuesday

Can u PM me any tough qs u got ? I’m nervous

I’m going ... kind of scared for the interview (I got into wvsom too lol already turned that down for lucom)... only nervous bc when I looked up the interview Qs they were endless. I prepped the ones that seemed most important but def not all. Interview Tuesday
I think some of the best advise for the CUSOM is to just go in there and be yourself. They are very conversational and the interviewers genuinely want to get to know you. Have answers for the stuff you know they'll ask you about (grade issues, why DO, etc.) but beyond that just be yourself. It's a very low stress interview compared to other places.

Hey, anyone who was invited for any of the scholarships. Did you receive an email invite in addition to physical piece of mail?

Thanks

Hey, anyone who was invited for any of the scholarships. Did you receive an email invite in addition to physical piece of mail?

Thanks

I received only a physical letter (from Dean) for the invitation and only an email (from Sherry) for the actual award. But from reading earlier posts, it’s been pretty mixed; some seem to get both.

Can anyone speak to CUSOMs capability to get a DO/MPH? Is it offered?

Can anyone speak to CUSOMs capability to get a DO/MPH? Is it offered?
The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences offers a MSPH, which is a 2-year degree. While there are other professional programs offering a dual degree with MSPH, CUSOM does not have a formal dual-degree option for public health. I think there are a couple students at CUSOM earning public health degrees though, so it’s possible.

Literally spending over 100$ today just to get from Campbell back to airport. Maybe someone in my interview group will be going to airport and wouldn’t mind giving me a ride so I can cancel my cab. Ugh coming for this interview is costing me so much. All for a wait list
It’s cheaper to rent a car

I agree with @Jwain

However CUSOM match is 100%, for only graduating 2 classes, which is very impressive. The places and programs that they get into are absurdly impressive. I have a friend who’s a 4th year who just interviewed with people from Harvard. The school has a fantastic relationship with some of the top MD programs in the country like UNC and Duke. Their research is super up and coming so the level of autonomy you would have there is amazing.

... what Im saying is... just because it’s rural, don’t make that your reason for not going there.
It’s only 100% if you count scrambles into transitional years and people taking a research year. Still a good match list but it’s important to know what 100% actually means. It does not mean 100% got a full residency of their choice on the first try

Not true. It was going to be over 300$ lol and it’s a little late. I went to the thrifty car rental yesterday and took an Uber in and my interview is in 2 hours so... (it was going to be so expensive bc I needed to purchase their insurance plus the surcharge bc I’m under 25, in conjunction with other hidden fees that are not on the website and make it seem that renting a car is cheaper than it actually is)
If you don’t have insurance that definitely changes things, but you should otherwise still be able to rent a car for less than $150 for 2 days

you can not currently get an MPH at campbell, but I'm sure you could do a concurrent online program through GW or georgetown or something (there are a lot of online programs). they did just add a DO/JD program so they're working full force on that, and they said in the future they'd like to offer a concurrent DO/MPH. but to answer your question, right now, no you cannot get an MPH from campbell.

That said, you might be able to figure out a way to do DO/MBA through campbell since they offer an mba program. they only offer an MS in public health.

I thought Campbell was eh. If I got in, idk id go. Didn’t love it. One of my interviewers conducted the most strange / weird interview I’ve had.

I thought Campbell was eh. If I got in, idk id go. Didn’t love it. One of my interviewers conducted the most strange / weird interview I’ve had.

I also had a very strange interview lol I wonder if it was the same interviewer (interviewed yesterday). I really loved the school and location though, so I’m hoping to receive a waitlist position and eventually gain an acceptance!

What did they say if you don't mind me asking? PM me?
Idk how to do PM. Yes I officially decided I don’t like the school. Yes the students solidified
I also had a very strange interview lol I wonder if it was the same interviewer (interviewed yesterday). I really loved the school and location though, so I’m hoping to receive a waitlist position and eventually gain an acceptance!

Can u pm me who u had ? Idk how lol but I’ve been on numerous interviews and one of mine was extremely weird and everyone agreed

Idk how to do PM. Yes I officially decided I don’t like the school. Yes the students solidified

Can u pm me who u had ? Idk how lol but I’ve been on numerous interviews and one of mine was extremely weird and everyone agreed

The guy with the hair, right?

Legit wouldn’t be sad if I got the R.

wow, you’re so funny

If you don't want to go here then go ahead and email the admissions team and let them know so they could give your spot on the waitlist to someone who does want it :)

I'm waiting to get off the waitlist and this is my first choice so it would be nice to give that opportunity to someone else.

Reactions: 4 users
If you don't want to go here then go ahead and email the admissions team and let them know so they could give your spot on the waitlist to someone who does want it :)

I'm waiting to get off the waitlist and this is my first choice so it would be nice to give that opportunity to someone else.
No. I am just curious if I get in lol.

Also even if I did give up my spot, doesn’t mean they’d give it to u. Lol I’m not saying u won’t get in but the way ur describing it is not how it works

That wasn't what I was saying at all! Nothing to do with me, but they could give your spot on the waitlist to one of the other people who have interviewed and would really love to go to this school. Not trying to be rude or make it about me, just trying to help out with someone else. Your decision in the end. Good luck!

If they want u, you’ll get in. There’s no need to tell other ppl to let admissions know when they still interview so many ppl per day. I wouldn’t go but since i flew out and came, for my curiosity, I wanna know if I get in.
Oh well, hope you get an offer so you can legitimately decline it.

Reactions: 3 users
Do NOT go here! Everyone hates their lives

Do NOT go here! Everyone hates their lives
Can you elaborate? I think it's interesting that there's been a sudden stream of negativity regarding this school today with not enough details as to why...