2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did they say? I'm curious
The students don’t like the school. They said concerning stuff. The interview day was also very underwhelming. Part of me doesn’t feel like putting the reasons bc I’m sure everyone will debate me and lol u guys weren’t there and didn’t hear what the students said. Lol they legit had a lot of negative things to say that I was not okay with and from my experience, students don’t act like it is all rain drops and sunshine (at all interviews u eat / meet first or second years) but some of the points they made were concerning and a turn off for the school. Actually very negative wow. I’m glad they were so candid

The students don’t like the school. They said concerning stuff. The interview day was also very underwhelming. Part of me doesn’t feel like putting the reasons bc I’m sure everyone will debate me and lol u guys weren’t there and didn’t hear what the students said. Lol they legit had a lot of negative things to say that I was not okay with and from my experience, students don’t act like it is all rain drops and sunshine (at all interviews u eat / meet first or second years) but some of the points they made were concerning and a turn off for the school. Actually very negative wow. I’m glad they were so candid

I think a lot of us would appreciate it if you explain though. I personally had a wonderful interview, met students who loved the school, and am very excited to be attending next fall. As someone else said, these negative views are very sudden and not consistent with everyone else’s experiences. If you don’t want to, that’s fine, but I think you’re projecting your own negative experience too heavily on this school. And if you don’t like it that much, seriously consider emailing them and declining consideration; there are plenty of other people who are “curious” but would actually like to be accepted.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not buy into all of the stuff you read on this website - always go with your gut feeling and take everything you read with a grain of salt. Maybe this person heard some bad things, but I have a ton of friends here who absolutely love this school and do not regret their choice of attending. DO NOT LET THIS WEBSITE CHANGE YOUR OPINION OF A SCHOOL! Do what's right for you!

Above all: some may hate this school, sure, idk personally. but i know for a fact that plenty don't!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
No I had asked a few others if they thought what the med student said was concerning and they felt the same. I actually wanted to love this school bc of it’s stats. I was like u can’t possibly turn down this school with 100% first time boards pass rate like I mentally set myself up to put this in the front of my list but the med students totally made me realize I could never go here. I am PMing one of the ppl that initially asked (lol finally figured it out) so I am perfectly happy to elaborate just not on here where everyone will chime in and obvs disprove everything (it’s human nature- u love the school so naturally u will want to disprove anything I say to defend ur position of the school) and the real reason why I’m not telling them to not consider me is 1) I like to know if my thoughts of how my interviews went line up with the outcome 2) if I got in, I would still feel a tiny bit of pressure to even remotely consider the school bc of its stats

I’m not trying to disprove anything you’re saying. Im actually deciding between Campbell and another school at the moment, and I haven’t heard anything negative said about Campbell yet, which makes me want to know what those students said to see if I should factor that into my decision. Would you be willing to PM me regarding details?

So sad to see so much whining and negativity surrounding one persons consistent complaining and heavily subjective experience. Seems toxic.

If you want to be a physician. Be a physician. Do it where you want and where you generally believe in the mission. Don't rob people of the opportunity to consider a great school because of your own diluted views.

For me and many people, we would love an opportunity to go here. I have strong ties to the area and generally believe in the mission of the school. It is not always numbers. Some of us actually want to do community medicine close to home.

So let's keep it positive guys and do the right thing. Everyone on the waitlist is equally qualified.. they did put you there after all. At this point they want/need people who are interested in the program, fit into the mission, and want to be there. If thats not you, do the right thing and remove yourself from that consideration. If it is you then advocate for yourself. Otherwise lets keep it positive fam.

Reactions: 2 users
So sad to see so much whining and negativity surrounding one persons consistent complaining and heavily subjective experience. Seems toxic.

If you want to be a physician. Be a physician. Do it where you want and where you generally believe in the mission. Don't rob people of the opportunity to consider a great school because of your own diluted views.

For me and many people, we would love an opportunity to go here. I have strong ties to the area and generally believe in the mission of the school. It is not always numbers. Some of us actually want to do community medicine close to home.

So let's keep it positive guys and do the right thing. Everyone on the waitlist is equally qualified.. they did put you there after all. At this point they want/need people who are interested in the program, fit into the mission, and want to be there. If thats not you, do the right thing and remove yourself from that consideration. If it is you then advocate for yourself. Otherwise lets keep it positive fam.
Lol but why don’t we keep it honest? When I said I wasn’t sure if I should go to Cusom’s interview, someone PMed me their comparison between lucom and Cusom and was actually extremely helpful and encouraged me to go on this interview and see what it had to offer (they liked Cusom more than lucom) I think having other people’s insight is the whole purpose of SDN so I feel like your “let’s keep it positive fam” is kind of ridiculous considering on every single med school there r ppl who have good and bad things to say and for those that want various opinions, it’s helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m more than happy to tell the things I heard (I’ve PMed 2 diff ppl) and then ppl can take that info and other info they’ve acquired and make a decision. There r plenty of great things about CUSOM as well and that’s undeniable but there were things that I personally didn’t view as good for my medical career but others may not feel that way and I’m aware of that! All things to consider tho when ur in between various schools.

Lol but why don’t we keep it honest? When I said I wasn’t sure if I should go to Cusom’s interview, someone PMed me their comparison between lucom and Cusom and was actually extremely helpful and encouraged me to go on this interview and see what it had to offer (they liked Cusom more than lucom) I think having other people’s insight is the whole purpose of SDN so I feel like your “let’s keep it positive fam” is kind of ridiculous considering on every single med school there r ppl who have good and bad things to say and for those that want various opinions, it’s helpful.

I'm just saying theres a constructive way to go about sharing your opinions.

If you're concerned about aspects of the school you can simply ask "does anyone have any experience with the match rates, board scores, location, etc" and take it for what it is, without implementing your own negative opinions that are constructed by virtually no experience and only word of mouth and online threads.

Instead of filling the thread with complaints:

"Idk if I like how rural Campbell is.
Idk if lucom is too religious for me.
when I looked up the interview Qs they were endless.
Literally spending over 100$ today just to get from Campbell back to airport."

You can ask if the location affected the quality of the education. If being like-minded in spiritual ideologies is necessary to attend a christian school. Are the interviews conversational and applicant-specific. Whats the most efficient way to travel to the interview.

Rather than filling the thread with negativity, then vaguely saying you don't like it and dragging it out without any concrete reasons.

Being positive isn't ridiculous. Im just saying there's a constructive way to go about it and communicate differences and dislikes without spreading a toxic message or being obnoxious towards people "just because i see if I get accepted doesn't mean they'll accept you".
This is an important skill for the team-based learning environment in medical school and residency.

I hope LECOM or where you decide is the best fit for you. And if Campbell is not its ok to just say "this place isn't for me because of XYZ" and move on.Wishing you the best.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with the above comment, and of course, I'd rather hear the truth! but what I'm saying is that this is an anonymous website, and therefore, there is no way to determine the accuracy of anything that anyone says. People can lie, be spiteful, etc. whereas they can also be truthful, kind, whatever. All I'm saying is that you should not let someone's (maybe accurate) opinion and blanket statements of this school change your mind about it. Take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Keep both positivity and negativity constructive, not empty. That said, in regards to the statement made a few comments above, I can 100% honestly and factually disagree with the statement claiming "everyone hates their lives at Campbell". Maybe 5-6 students join the lunches, and on the converse, the ones I had lunch with loved the school.

good luck to all! xx

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 4th year student at campbell and have nothing but positive things to say about this school. I firmly believe that I received excellent training here and feel very well prepared to begin my surgical residency this fall. In fact, on away rotations and residency interviews I felt like I outperformed students from more "established" schools, which is a testament to how much Campbell invests in its students. I'm not sure why this person has such negative opinions of the school, but my first-hand experiences here have been nothing but positive. Certainly we are all different and there may be some people who are unhappy with certain aspects to the school, but that is most definitely not the majority opinion among students here.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a 4th year student at campbell and have nothing but positive things to say about this school. I firmly believe that I received excellent training here and feel very well prepared to begin my surgical residency this fall. In fact, on away rotations and residency interviews I felt like I outperformed students from more "established" schools, which is a testament to how much Campbell invests in its students. I'm not sure why this person has such negative opinions of the school, but my first-hand experiences here have been nothing but positive. Certainly we are all different and there may be some people who are unhappy with certain aspects to the school, but that is most definitely not the majority opinion among students here.
My sister is in her 4th year at Pcom and said match day hasn’t happened .. how would u already know where ur residency is if match day has yet to happen? I’m jw ! Ik there r schools that do pre match programs so is that what ur referring to ?

My sister is in her 4th year at Pcom and said match day hasn’t happened .. how would u already know where ur residency is if match day has yet to happen? I’m jw ! Ik there r schools that do pre match programs so is that what ur referring to ?
the DO match already happened as did the military. It's also possible the just assumed they will end up in surgery in the acgme match

Oh wow I had no clue. Interesting I didn’t know there were 2 separate match days. I guess it depends what residencies u applied to. my sister interviewed at acgme residencies so that makes sense. Thanks!!! Well everyone good luck in ur Campbell endeavors. Interested to see what happens w admissions!

Hello lovelies, I just wanted to post here to inspire some hope in those waitlisted or yet to interview.

Secondary submitted Jan 7
App marked complete Jan 8
II Jan 8 afternoon via phone call
Interview Jan 22
Waitlisted Feb 4 via email
LOI Feb 11 (email and physical letter)
Accepted Feb 19 via email

I am very impressed with this school's application/interview process as well as its facilities and staff. I'll see y'all Camels in the fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello lovelies, I just wanted to post here to inspire some hope in those waitlisted or yet to interview.

Interview Jan 22

I am very impressed with this school's application/interview process as well as its facilities and staff. I'll see y'all Camels in the fall!

Thanks for sharing and congrats! what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks for sharing and congrats! what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?
MCAT 500, sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.9, a good bit of clinical experience
Definitely nothing super impressive, but my interviews went REALLY well. I'm also super committed to serving North Carolina, which is one of their missions, so I'm sure that helped with their decision.

Interview Jan 22

Welcome to the club. Can't wait to be your classmate in the years to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Seeing so much negative comments here ache my heart. It could be immature to say one school is absolutely perfect in all aspects. It is also not appropriate to rule out one school for a single or a few negative comments - even worse if they are subjective. What is important for me in choosing the school is my assurance of the school that they listen to their students and try to improve their program. This is what I realized during my interview at CUSOM. I haven't started my journey at CUSOM but I know it is the right place for me, and even if there are some deficiencies, the right attitude is to help those areas improve rather than expecting to be given something perfect.

We chose to be a doctor to bring changes and improve the quality of life for many whose eyes are set upon us. Why not carry the same attitude toward our education too? Regardless of the school whether it is CUSOM, LUCOM, or anywhere else we should always intend to be part of the development that would not only benefit us but our followers as well.

Let's start to believe in our ability to make changes and leave a place better than we found it.

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current students comment on the openness of the social environment at Campbell? Specifically, how would you characterize the experience of a non-Christian or LGBT student with faculty/peers? I'm sure most everyone at CUSOM is lovely, but it feels worth asking about (especially in light of comparisons to LUCOM).

Oh wow I had no clue. Interesting I didn’t know there were 2 separate match days. I guess it depends what residencies u applied to. my sister interviewed at acgme residencies so that makes sense. Thanks!!! Well everyone good luck in ur Campbell endeavors. Interested to see what happens w admissions!
I pm'd you

Could you expand

Maybe they are just not made for the rigors of medical school? It's a possibility, right? Everyone I talked to loved it and I know a 4th year student who is happy there. If you are miserable because you can't keep up, you'd probably miserable no matter where you go. This is not to say that everything is perfect, I don't think any school can offer that. Med school is what you make it.
...Just my 2cents.

Can any current students comment on the openness of the social environment at Campbell? Specifically, how would you characterize the experience of a non-Christian or LGBT student with faculty/peers? I'm sure most everyone at CUSOM is lovely, but it feels worth asking about (especially in light of comparisons to LUCOM).
You are in no way required to be a christian or straight.
You will occasionally see prayer to open events

Accepted off the waitlist right now!

Reactions: 8 users
Just rejected here post-interview. Pretty bummed, absolutely loved this school and it quickly became my top choice program. Even had an interviewer stop me halfway through to tell me that I was a high quality applicant and they had no further questions for me. I thought the overall experience went really well, so I’m not sure what went wrong. Good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions and that are currently on the waitlist, wishing you guys all the best.

Just rejected here post-interview. Pretty bummed, absolutely loved this school and it quickly became my top choice program. Even had an interviewer stop me halfway through to tell me that I was a high quality applicant and they had no further questions for me. I thought the overall experience went really well, so I’m not sure what went wrong. Good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions and that are currently on the waitlist, wishing you guys all the best.
Hm. Being stopped would give me weird vibes. Wonder what that was about.
Hopefully you had success with other schools!

Could a current student (or someone with equally reliable information) please comment on the attendance policy? I understand that 80% attendance is required, but my question is how strict is CUSOM with enforcing this policy?

im sorry man

Could a current student (or someone with equally reliable information) please comment on the attendance policy? I understand that 80% attendance is required, but my question is how strict is CUSOM with enforcing this policy?
You have to face the apps committee (the, “do you get kicked out committee”)

They aren’t joking about attendance. If you blow it off you will be kicked out

Thanks @sb247 I'm cool with attendance though! Keeps me on my toes.

How many days can you miss per block and be within the 80% attendance policy? 9 days-ish? And do they count half-days or anything like that?

Offer to apply for a scholarship received today

Does anyone know what movement off the WL is like? Also when do they typically start this movement?

I know the last class got a Dell XPS laptop, but does anyone know when we will find out which model we get? More so out of curiosity than anything.

I know the last class got a Dell XPS laptop, but does anyone know when we will find out which model we get? More so out of curiosity than anything.

They told us during interview day, but I don't recall. Are you coming to accepted student day? If not, I can ask and post it here after :)

Does anyone know if we are going to get any study resources for COMLEX I or do we have to purchase those ourselves?

4th yr here. Feel free to PM with questions.

Can anyone speak to CUSOMs capability to get a DO/MPH? Is it offered?
It's not offered through the school but we've had a couple people take a year off from CUSOM to go do UNC's 1 year MPH program.

With peers, no issues at all. With faculty, still not issues at all directly. You will probably see more prayer around and there are like prayer-things set up before exams, but that's about it. There was a really weird lecture that was kinda homophobic given to our class 4 years ago, but we complained, they apologized, and AFAIK it has never happened again. That being said, once you're done with the first 2 years, your interaction with the actual campus is minimal. I've been back to campus like 10 times total in the past 2 years, and that's including match day.

4th yr here. Feel free to PM with questions.

It's not offered through the school but we've had a couple people take a year off from CUSOM to go do UNC's 1 year MPH program.

With peers, no issues at all. With faculty, still not issues at all directly. You will probably see more prayer around and there are like prayer-things set up before exams, but that's about it. There was a really weird lecture that was kinda homophobic given to our class 4 years ago, but we complained, they apologized, and AFAIK it has never happened again. That being said, once you're done with the first 2 years, your interaction with the actual campus is minimal. I've been back to campus like 10 times total in the past 2 years, and that's including match day.

Do you go back for exams during rotations or where do you take those? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you guys get any board prep material? And congratulations on this year's match!!!

Accepted today!!! :)

Interviewed 1/29. Waitlisted 2/5. Will definitely be attending, I love this school!! Does anyone who is accepted know when accepted students day is?

Reactions: 6 users

Interviewed 1/29. Waitlisted 2/5. Will definitely be attending, I love this school!! Does anyone who is accepted know when accepted students day is?

Congratulations! See you on April 6th!

Congrats!

Did you send them a letter or express interest in any other way that you think helped get off the waitlist?

Do you go back for exams during rotations or where do you take those? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you guys get any board prep material? And congratulations on this year's match!!!
Yes, you go back to campus for shelf exams, of which there are like 7 or 8?

For the board prep, are you referring to level 1 or 2? The answer is yes to both; you get COMBANK access for all 3 years. We got extra Kaplan materials for level 1, but tbh, I'm not sure if that's still happening.

Thanks! We had a great match this year. :)