2018-2019 Carle-Illinois College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it is too late to apply to this school? Definitely did not know this existed and very interested in their approach

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think it is too late to apply to this school? Definitely did not know this existed and very interested in their approach

Not at all. Admissions are rolling & process is ongoing. Check out website (medicine.illinois.edu) & linked videos/webinars for more info.

Reactions: 3 users
Not at all. Admissions are rolling & process is ongoing. Check out website (medicine.illinois.edu) & linked videos/webinars for more info.
Took the advice and submitted my primary application a couple days ago! Is there a time frame for when I'll be receiving the secondary? I read the earlier comments that they don't send out any updates or confirmations. Just want to make sure I don't lose it in the junk mail (not like i'm already refreshing my email 24/7 during this application process :shrug:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the advice and submitted my primary application a couple days ago! Is there a time frame for when I'll be receiving the secondary? I read the earlier comments that they don't send out any updates or confirmations. Just want to make sure I don't lose it in the junk mail (not like i'm already refreshing my email 24/7 during this application process :shrug:)

Depends on how far behind AMCAS is in verifying. Beyond that, not sure. If you want to start thinking ahead, look at the format from earlier in this thread.

Showcase was pretty cool! Was nice to visit the campus. Jam-packed day full of activities, and everyone at the school seemed really excited about their mission. They will have two more showcases, in Nov and Feb. Their incoming class will be 32 students again. Early clinical exposure (they said 3rd week of class) and they have some sort of STEP 1 prep so I assume the scores will be good. Students seemed happy, but busy. Only MS1's at the school since they just got started last year. They confirmed that there is no interview in the process, and they may never implement an interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Showcase was pretty cool! Was nice to visit the campus. Jam-packed day full of activities, and everyone at the school seemed really excited about their mission. They will have two more showcases, in Nov and Feb. Their incoming class will be 32 students again. Early clinical exposure (they said 3rd week of class) and they have some sort of STEP 1 prep so I assume the scores will be good. Students seemed happy, but busy. Only MS1's at the school since they just got started last year. They confirmed that there is no interview in the process, and they may never implement an interview.
Do you know what dates the showcase will be on? And do we have to register for them?

Do you know what dates the showcase will be on? And do we have to register for them?

Most likely in November. It's by invitation. Once you received the invitation, you will be able to register through the portal.

wow, i thought everything was going well until that video portion. Pretty sure I did horrible on that... lol looks like im not gonna get in

I wrote down Nov 12 and Feb 18 for the next showcases per their presentation. That being said, it’s always subject to change. The invites come through email!

Finally getting to this secondary! Are you folks focusing more on depth or breadth for your “artifacts” I.e, going super in depth about one activity or project or being like THESE ARE THE WAYS I AM CREATIVE?

Should we expect anything on Monday for Carle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they will send out acceptances this early, for last year's thread mid-March was when the first batch of acceptances were sent out. If I am not wrong, (or at least how I would do it if I was on the admissions team) is wait for more people to submit their secondaries to get the scope of everyone's application and then choose 32 people to give acceptances to...

But what do i know, I'm just speculating lol

I doubt they will send out acceptances this early, for last year's thread mid-March was when the first batch of acceptances were sent out. If I am not wrong, (or at least how I would do it if I was on the admissions team) is wait for more people to submit their secondaries to get the scope of everyone's application and then choose 32 people to give acceptances to...

Yeah I'm not sure either. During showcase I think they mentioned Oct 15 but I can't remember exactly. I think it might be different than last year since last year was their first year...dunno. Anyways, not expecting anything Monday but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised!

Oct 15! First day med schools can send out acceptances. And potentially...they might do the mail acceptance packet like they did last year
Oh! I did not know that. I applied mostly DO. Do they tend to send out a lot of rejections at the same time?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

That’s true but last year you couldn’t submit to them until later on in the cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
What did they mention about October 15? That they'd send more invites to the event or that they would send acceptances?
That they would send acceptances

I just got an invite to the November showcase!

Now, I'm excited...how many were at the showcase?

Also received invite to Nov. Showcase. Under Review 8/8. LM~67

Can anyone speak about the problem based learning activity they do at the open house?

+1 Just got a showcase invite as well! Complete 8/17, LM 72 engineering UG. It's not an interview but its the first good news I've gotten all cycle :D

+1 Just got a showcase invite as well! Complete 8/17, LM 72 engineering UG. It's not an interview but its the first good news I've gotten all cycle :D
They don't do interviews, this is their version of the interview.

Received an email for their medical simulation webinar...got excited for a second. :/

Reactions: 5 users
Received an email for their medical simulation webinar...got excited for a second. :/
Do webinars do anything? Are these something we should always participate in to show interest in a school?

Do webinars do anything? Are these something we should always participate in to show interest in a school?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using
Unlikely they affect anything; they fill up usually within an hour of registration opening, and are emails are sent to all applicants. I think they might be open to non-applicants as well.

There were around 100 at the showcase. A few days before the showcase, they'll send an email asking you all to watch the webinar on problem-based learning (you can find it online if you just search for it). The video covers the basics like what are the roles each student can have in a PBL group and what actually happens during PBL. IIRC, you do the activity with ~10 other people. The facilitator briefly reviews what PBL and then starts a slideshow with minimal patient details on each slide. We were given really basic details (think age, sex, NO history) and then told the patient "presents with dizziness". For the next 45 minutes, we had to come up with reasons for why we thought the patient was dizzy, as well as define "learning objectives" for topics none of us knew enough about (which was basically everything lol) and "action items", like getting specific tests performed.

It was a little awkward at first, but we managed to fill the entire board with ideas after realizing the facilitator wouldn't give us any more information about the patient until we did so. You'd be surprised by how much you know as an M0! ;) I would just encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and be creative. They emphasized multiple times during the day that they're not there to judge you/interview you. They just want you to get a sense of what Carle Illinois is all about, and I think the PBL session especially did a great job with it.

Thank you for sharing!! I just saw the simulation webinar they hosted tonight and their Simulation Center seems unreal. Did you get to see it? I think they mentioned showing it to students at the showcases

Thank you for sharing!! I just saw the simulation webinar they hosted tonight and their Simulation Center seems unreal. Did you get to see it? I think they mentioned showing it to students at the showcases
My group at the showcase saw it, but they timed the tour poorly - they let us try the VR headsets, but by the time we finished that, we had to leave the lab, and only got to see the rest of the SimCenter by walking through it.

Has anyone heard about decisions from Carle yet?

Just confirmed that first round of admission offers will be distributed this week! Fingers crossed.

oooh how exciting! mail or email or call?
They just posted on their social media accounts they were going out. Not sure how but thinking about calling to see if mail/email/call

They said those that attend a showcase are typically notified first, but attending a showcase isn't necessary for acceptance.
interesting concept, im OOS so spending a couple hundred dollars to purchase a flight and hotel just to be notified a bit earlier? There has to be a catch... lol

Mailed letter sent today, calls over the weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure you have to get invited to a showcase to get an acceptance.

interesting concept, im OOS so spending a couple hundred dollars to purchase a flight and hotel just to be notified a bit earlier? There has to be a catch... lol

“And while participation for this event is not required in order to receive an offer of admission, applicants who attend will be at an advantage in our process.”

How do you know this?? Did you call them?
I directly spoke with someone in their admissions department and they said that while the events are not interviews, they are required to get accepted. But the post above seems to disagree, so who knows.

Anybody going to the showcase from Michigan?

This but SoCal -- leggo freeze our sunny butts off!
...secretly my body hungers for the chillier weather of the northeast because I am actually a snowman

Did people get accepted this weekend? Didn't someone say that some acceptances were out by the end of this week?

I directly spoke with someone in their admissions department and they said that while the events are not interviews, they are required to get accepted. But the post above seems to disagree, so who knows.

The showcases are invite only, but you don't have to go (highly encouraged; just put yourself in their shoes - they are trying to pick the best that are the most interested, right?). The showcase is not an interview, and it is not required if you are invited, but if you didn't get invited to a showcase I'd look at it like you didn't get invited to an interview. However, there are several showcases, and invites go out throughout the cycle until the last showcase.