2018-2019 Carle-Illinois College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who've done the showcase - is it actually business casual? Like would wearing a suit look way too formal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who've done the showcase - is it actually business casual? Like would wearing a suit look way too formal?

For the most part everyone at the showcase was wearing business casual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how to best go about doing this, but does anyone who is here today want to do a group dinner?

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how to best go about doing this, but does anyone who is here today want to do a group dinner?
Yes. I’ll get to the Hampton around 7:30 so a little late for dinner but down for drinks haha

Yes. I’ll get to the Hampton around 7:30 so a little late for dinner but down for drinks haha

I’ll also be around closer to 7-7:30 but I’d do drinks and/or apps. I have no clue how late bars and kitchens stay open on a Sunday night in Champaign lol

Aight, I just created this two question poll: 11/11/2018 Group Dinner Food Poll

Because I'm no rich person, I selected a few restaurants with one dollar signs and pretty good ratings on yelp. They're all in Campustown which is a ~10 min walk from Hampton Inn. Links to yelp sites are in the form. Add a response if you'd like to come so I know approximately how many people to claim seats for if the restaurant permits. I'll close the poll at 6 PM local time and add another post with finalized details then.

Edit: Did find a dive bar that had pretty good reviews. It's about 15-20 minute walking distance from the Hampton Inn (just under a mile). I added it to the poll since you guys mentioned you might want a drink.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Based on the results from the poll, the most popular time is 7:30 PM, and looks like we're heading to Signature Grill (https://www.yelp.com/biz/signature-grill-champaign-2). I'll be down in the Hampton Inn lobby at 7:10 PM to walk over if you want to join me; I will be wearing a blue sweatshirt with a giant white logo on it, black coat, and glasses. Otherwise, look forward to seeing you guys there!

I was hesitant about PBL but after today, I changed my mind. I loved the active approach. Only 32 spots, oh boy. This is going to be super tough, ha.

Reactions: 6 users
I was hesitant about PBL but after today, I changed my mind. I loved the active approach. Only 32 spots, oh boy. This is going to be super tough, ha.
Did they say how many they had already admitted?

Did they say how many they had already admitted?

They said that they sent out a few acceptances after the first Showcase. They will send out of few after the second and a few after the third. They did not give specific numbers. However, they stated that they will not give out more than 32 until after Feb when they find out where people wish to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here, hmu privately/publicly on here if you have any questions/concerns/need some advice for the application.

What’s this online webinar?

Let me hear what you guys think:

On 9/20 I emailed Carle Illinois and inquired if they were ever going to send me a secondary. They responded with: "We sent you secondary invite on 7/28, a reminder on 8/13, and an invitation for a showcase on 8/15." I was pretty pissed because I never got those emails so I contacted them again and they resent me their secondary (It took updating my email on AMCAS to be able to receive it).

Do you guys think the showcase is a "requirement" to be accepted in case I am not invited again?

Let me hear what you guys think:

On 9/20 I emailed Carle Illinois and inquired if they were ever going to send me a secondary. They responded with: "We sent you secondary invite on 7/28, a reminder on 8/13, and an invitation for a showcase on 8/15." I was pretty pissed because I never got those emails so I contacted them again and they resent me their secondary (It took updating my email on AMCAS to be able to receive it).

Do you guys think the showcase is a "requirement" to be accepted in case I am not invited again?

According to this thread, it seems like you need to be invited and show up to make it seem like you are very interested. there may have been a few that were accepted without going to the showcase, but I think a majority of acceptances will be sent to people who actually show genuine interest, It's a little bizarre they sent you an invite to the showcase even though you never sent in a secondary...

Does anyone have any thoughts on when invites to the February showcase might be sent out?

According to this thread, it seems like you need to be invited and show up to make it seem like you are very interested. there may have been a few that were accepted without going to the showcase, but I think a majority of acceptances will be sent to people who actually show genuine interest, It's a little bizarre they sent you an invite to the showcase even though you never sent in a secondary...

That’s precisely what I’ve been thinking all this time and thus why I question the weight the showcase has on your admission. Apparently they invited me to the showcase without me sending anything. I don’t know if that’s been the case with other people.

That’s precisely what I’ve been thinking all this time and thus why I question the weight the showcase has on your admission. Apparently they invited me to the showcase without me sending anything. I don’t know if that’s been the case with other people.
From what I understand in most cases they will select someone that went to the showcase before someone that did not. I haven't heard of anyone being invited without filling out a secondary either, super weird

From what I understand in most cases they will select someone that went to the showcase before someone that did not. I haven't heard of anyone being invited without filling out a secondary either, super weird

So FWIW I just checked, and it turns out that I had also been invited to their August showcase pre-secondary submission.

So FWIW I just checked, and it turns out that I had also been invited to their August showcase pre-secondary submission.

If you think about the timing, they probably had to send some invites out to the first showcase to those they felt might be most competitive based on the primary before they were able to get ahold of your secondary. Admissions is a 2-way street, they review you, you review them.

Anyone have updates on when/whether they're sending any decisions soon? Unsure of what they're timeline looks like.

Anyone have updates on when/whether they're sending any decisions soon? Unsure of what they're timeline looks like.
Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that they planned to send out 2-3 acceptances after showcase 1 and 2 and then do most of the decision making after showcase 3. Could be totally wrong though. On that note, has anyone received any info regarding showcase 3?

I just received an invite to their February 18 showcase! So excited!

They said that they sent out a few acceptances after the first Showcase. They will send out of few after the second and a few after the third. They did not give specific numbers. However, they stated that they will not give out more than 32 until after Feb when they find out where people wish to go.

Does anyone know the rough numbers of people invited to each showcase? Just trying to get a feel for the odds, if they’re starting with an acceptance pool of 32 out of those invited.

We had ~80. I think they have 3-4 showcases, no? Correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone know the rough numbers of people invited to each showcase? Just trying to get a feel for the odds, if they’re starting with an acceptance pool of 32 out of those invited.
However, I feel this is a fruitless endeavor. It doesn’t really matter. Whether you have an interview or a showcase, you just have to wait and find out what the result is. It’s sort of unproductive to crunch numbers at that point because it’s out of your hands.

If I say you have a 25 percent chance or a 50 percent chance, is the difference really going to make your day? Prob not.

I believe I read somewhere that they try for around 100 per session this year. Last year they only did 64 for two sessions

However, I feel this is a fruitless endeavor. It doesn’t really matter. Whether you have an interview or a showcase, you just have to wait and find out what the result is. It’s sort of unproductive to crunch numbers at that point because it’s out of your hands.

If I say you have a 25 percent chance or a 50 percent chance, is the difference really going to make your day? Prob not.

I thought that attending one of the showcases greatly increased chances of an offer, no? I guess that's why everyone is shooting for an invite rn

I thought that attending one of the showcases greatly increased chances of an offer, no? I guess that's why everyone is shooting for an invite rn
Sorry- obviously it’s out of my hands, lol. I was just wondering. All of this is a huge waiting game and knowing rough chances helps me be a little less anxious. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, they narrowed down from 3000+ apps to however many they have at the showcases. Nevertheless, they will fill 32 spots out of several hundred individuals. Chances are better, that’s what you should take away from that.

Sorry- obviously it’s out of my hands, lol. I was just wondering. All of this is a huge waiting game and knowing rough chances helps me be a little less anxious. Thanks for the info!
oh trust me I know, this is definitely my number one choice and the wait is awful

No need to say sorry, I understand. You made it that far, you have a chance. I just think going into it with the view that, you made a solid effort to get that far, occupy yourself with positive activities and wait it out. If it doesn’t work, you work a little bit more and try again. It’s bad for your health to be anxious, haha. But I understand and know the feeling.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Carle accepts updates?

Did any of you also got an email from Carle today stating that your applications have been received and will be reviewed in January?
Have they been sending this email throughout the cycle?
Thanks