2018-2019 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got an II... on the same day I was accepted to one of my top schools. I'm going to withdraw my application - hopefully one of you gets the slot. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
Anyone have any idea when the next batch of decisions might be released? Last year's thread says first week of December but I might implode by then...

Pretty sure December 5. I got mixed in with the next batch. Hoping for the best. This is my top choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not so much that the work load is greater in 2nd year... maybe more that the content gets more difficult? I think what you are referring to is based on the model where first year is normal physiology and second year is pathophysiology. We are systems based, so that doesn’t apply to Case.

You are correct about third year: your clerkships are busy and you always want to put your best foot forward so you can get that coveted honours grade (remember it depends on both your clinical performance as judged by others, as well as your shelf exam score). You can do research but most people find it hard to do. Given that you have plenty of “free” time in first and second year, and the bountiful opportunities, you should be able to get some things done. There’s also the summer between first and second year, and the dedicated 4 months of research time. So tbh, you don’t really have an excuse. Besides, residency applications go in September 15th, and third year ends June prior to that. During that gap most people do acting internships. So starting to do research in third year is likely much too late.

Do you by any chance know what the dean's scholarship entails? They're so general with the description in the acceptance letter. It just says you are invited to apply for it and that it can vary in amounts. Is it usually a significant amount (like half or full tuition scholarships? Or more like small amounts of 5 to 10k?).

Cost is really the only thing about here that makes me hesitant...

It's 20-40k each year. Renewable yearly. Awarded to 25 students.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if you can get need based aid on top of that as well? Or do they not offer much of it? On interview day it sounded like they didn't have much need aid.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if you can get need based aid on top of that as well? Or do they not offer much of it? On interview day it sounded like they didn't have much need aid.

so based on the presentation, my understanding is they take the bigger aid amount. It doesn't "stack." If you would qualify for say, $20k in merit scholarships and $30k in need based, the way they made it seem was you would get the $20k merit plus $10k of the need based, for a max of $30k. But if you qualify for $20k merit and only $10k in need based, you would just get your $20k merit. Not sure if that is 100% accurate but that's the way i understood it.

As a side note, if you're choosing between a school you really like and a school you aren't crazy about that's $10k, even $20k, cheaper per year, I would say go with the school you like. You'll have an environment which you will enjoy more which will help you succeed as a physician, you'll be happier overall, and ultimately, with proper finance management, you WILL be able to pay off your student loans as a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
YAY!!! II so grateful. Complete Aug 28.

Reactions: 1 users
II Complete 7/30 but I'll be withdrawing it, good luck guys

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a sense of what the average Step 1 score is for the University program only? According to US News, the average for Case Western overall is 239 in the latest year, but I assume that includes Cleveland Clinic Lerner.

Also, do you know what the timing of AOA selections are? Are they reported in time for them to help or hurt you in match?

The step scores aren’t separated out. But I will tell you that both groups do really well. I know of several people in the university program that got great scores recently.

AOA is awarded sometime between when interviews are handed out and before match. I don’t know the exact timing.

Do you by any chance know what the dean's scholarship entails? They're so general with the description in the acceptance letter. It just says you are invited to apply for it and that it can vary in amounts. Is it usually a significant amount (like half or full tuition scholarships? Or more like small amounts of 5 to 10k?).

There are no full rides. I think the max is $40k/yr

II here this morning, January dates available. Do you all think January interviews significantly decrease my chance of an acceptance here (compared to earlier interviews)? Really was hoping to interview earlier in the cycle... as I hear they stop interviewing relatively early.

Members don't see this ad :)
II here this morning, January dates available. Do you all think January interviews significantly decrease my chance of an acceptance here (compared to earlier interviews)? Really was hoping to interview earlier in the cycle... as I hear they stop interviewing relatively early.
Even if it does, it's not like you can do anything about it. So just do the best you can

Reactions: 3 users
When do the next round of decisions come out?
Hey bigeman101, kind of unrelated but I'm also from Colorado with a LM of 74. Have you heard anything back from CU? I submitted very early and haven't heard anything back.

II on November 20th! Didn't realize until a few days later when I checked my portal, never got an email. Complete 8/19, LM 74, ORM, IS with ties to Case. Looked like one or two dates available in December and many open in January.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 10/29, OOS, no scholarship LM 77

Alternate List. Dumbfounded honestly thought I killed this interview

Accepted! Interviewed 10/29, OOS, no scholarship LM 77
Do we just have to click "Confirm Receipt of Offer" for now? Do we also have to give our SSN now or is that just when we choose to matriculate?

Do we just have to click "Confirm Receipt of Offer" for now? Do we also have to give our SSN now or is that just when we choose to matriculate?
That is what I did, based on the description and prior posts in this thread.

ACCEPTED!! Stoked! Interviewed 11/14, LM ~71

Reactions: 10 users
how did they say we should send thank you letters again? Do we just upload it onto the portal?

Does anyone remember if they said they were planning on WLing more people this year?? Seems like a lot of people got alternate this round

Does anyone remember if they said they were planning on WLing more people this year?? Seems like a lot of people got alternate this round
They didn't say it but i know they don't usually have a super high yield so a decent amount come off the wait-list. I feel like case is in that weird position where they accept a lot of candidates that either get accepted to a higher ranked school or a cheaper in state school and go there. According to US news data they interview around 1000 and accept around 500 or so. Their class is around 180 so that means they probably pull a lot off the wait-list. I'm not certain about all this, just my guess.

I don’t remember hearing much in regard to whether or not it would be different with the new traffic rules but at my interview day they did tell us that a good number of kids in their class had come off the waitlist

I don’t remember hearing much in regard to whether or not it would be different with the new traffic rules but at my interview day they did tell us that a good number of kids in their class had come off the waitlist

I don't know about that. Case says in the admission's portal that they only pulled 13 students off the waitlist last year.

I don't know about that. Case says in the admission's portal that they only pulled 13 students off the waitlist last year.

Wow that's crazy, that means the US news data for how much they accept is referring to outright acceptances? It says they accepted 567. I assumed at least 50 of those would be from the waitlist. I guess if they accept so much out right, then they don't need to pull off as much from the waitlist. What's even crazier though is that 380 people are accepted here and don't attend. That's some terrible yield lol.

Maybe with the new building this year and the change in traffic rules they plan to play it a little more safe though. The old building was gross and outdated and it's very understandable if that was a big turn off for people.

Gotcha, it’s possible I’m mis-remembering! I’m definitely remember being told that being on the waitlist wasn’t a death sentence, FWIW.

Shout out to all my friends complete in July still hoping for an II! haha. We can hope.

Reactions: 7 users
I’m a Canadian applicant, LM 69, submitted secondaries to all my schools of choice around mid July to Mid August. I have been rejected from 2 schools but they were top 15 med schools. The rest of the mid tier schools I applied to I haven’t heard anything from them except that my application is complete. Is this normal? Are they keeping my application on a “maybe” list or something because I’m an international applicant? I applied to “Canadian Friendly” schools which from my knowledge treat us the same as OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m a Canadian applicant, LM 69, submitted secondaries to all my schools of choice around mid July to Mid August. I have been rejected from 2 schools but they were top 15 med schools. The rest of the mid tier schools I applied to I haven’t heard anything from them except that my application is complete. Is this normal? Are they keeping my application on a “maybe” list or something because I’m an international applicant? I applied to “Canadian Friendly” schools which from my knowledge treat us the same as OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is literally me.

Anyone receive an II recently? Also do they send pre II rejections?

Accepted! Was probably on Friday I think but for some reason I didn't get the email. Logged into the portal, and BOOM! Pretty pumped.

LM 73, interviewed 11/9.