2018-2019 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today after interviewing mid-January! OOS, LM 77 (but with a low GPA/ high MCAT). Really happy about this one- felt like the school was a great fit for me on interview day. I also uploaded an update letter/ letter of interest and all my thank-you notes to the portal in between my interview and when they told us the committee would be meeting- not sure if this made any difference in the decision but maybe something to consider for future interviewees!

Does anyone know when second look is? I'm having trouble finding this information online.
congrats!! can I ask how many thank you's you wrote/to which individuals?

Members don't see this ad.

congrats!! can I ask how many thank you's you wrote/to which individuals?

I sent a thank-yous to both my faculty interview and my student interviewer. I kept it really simple- just a short 4-5 sentence paragraph thanking them for their time and referring to something we discussed during our conversations. I sent them to both their email addresses and uploaded them to the portal- that might have been overkill but better safe than sorry! It also took me a couple days to get them out- I had my interview on a Monday and didn't send the emails until Friday.

Accepted last week!!! I interviewed beginning of January, OOS

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard back post II? I interviewed mid-Jan, uploaded an update about a week after my interview. I don't see any status in my portal when I log in.

For anyone that has interviewed or knows the area.... I have a family emergency and need to be on a 6pm flight out of Cle. after the interview.. Does anyone know if this would fit the time line. Its the only flight out to my location unless i wait a day. Haven't heard back from admissions and i have called.

Last edited:
Hey guys hoo-ray I got placed on the alternate list.

The MS2 I stayed with told me that nearly 50% of the incoming class comes in off the alternate list. I was wondering if anyone could attest to this?

Although this does make me feel better, I find it also worrisome because it means that same number declared to enroll at Case, and then opted out after getting off another school's waitlist right? Which means they have a very low retention?

Hey guys hoo-ray I got placed on the alternate list.

The MS2 I stayed with told me that nearly 50% of the incoming class comes in off the alternate list. I was wondering if anyone could attest to this?

Although this does make me feel better, I find it also worrisome because it means that same number declared to enroll at Case, and then opted out after getting off another school's waitlist right? Which means they have a very low retention?
I heard this year, they are expecting less waitlist movement due to a shiny new medical education building (think I overheard their dean or one of their presenters saying this to another interviewer). Although a school like Case would be competing with top 20 cross accepts and also Ohio residents who choose to go to OSU/Cincinnati due to lower tuition, so there might still be a bit of pulling after April.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question: how competitive is the Dean's scholarship?

During interview day, I think the admissions rep said approximately a third of students are invited to apply for the Dean's scholarship. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone who applies gets a little bit of money. I believe Case is aware of how expensive their tuition is, and they do want to make it slightly more affordable for people and incentivize prospective students to attend Case over other cheaper schools--even if it's only $10k-$15k per year. It keeps down the average indebtedness of their graduates (as does need-based aid).

Alternate list today, interviewed 1/14. Super fast turnaround. I know they don't reject many after interviewing, but do we have any idea how many people are on the waitlist? They interview 900-1000, but had over 7,000 applicants this year...

So approximately a month ago (mid-January) when I got my acceptance, I joined the incoming class Facebook group and there were ~300 members. Assuming they continue interviewing until March or so, I wouldn't be surprised if they accept 400+ people for a final class size of 180. Another user pointed out they heard the Dean say they were expecting better yield from accepted applicants this year because of the new building, but I don't know if that will be as huge a factor as they think. The HEC building isn't even finished yet--if a tour had been possible during interview day, I can imagine it being a factor, but until you see it in person I don't believe it will be as important a factor as location/prestige/cost.

So approximately a month ago (mid-January) when I got my acceptance, I joined the incoming class Facebook group and there were ~300 members. Assuming they continue interviewing until March or so, I wouldn't be surprised if they accept 400+ people for a final class size of 180. Another user pointed out they heard the Dean say they were expecting better yield from accepted applicants this year because of the new building, but I don't know if that will be as huge a factor as they think. The HEC building isn't even finished yet--if a tour had been possible during interview day, I can imagine it being a factor, but until you see it in person I don't believe it will be as important a factor as location/prestige/cost.

I find their excitement over the new building comical. I don't think we as applicants really care THAT much.

To put things in perspective, their new building cost about $500 million.
NYU's free tuition for life program cost about $600 million.

If they really wanted to bring in new students, they should have chose the latter option.

Also anyone else feel that the admissions staff is a lot like Parks and Rec?

There's definitely a Leslie Knope there...

Reactions: 6 users
Also anyone else feel that the admissions staff is a lot like Parks and Rec?

There's definitely a Leslie Knope there...

I had the same exact impression! :laugh: Yet another reason I fell in love with the school

During interview day, I think the admissions rep said approximately a third of students are invited to apply for the Dean's scholarship. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone who applies gets a little bit of money. I believe Case is aware of how expensive their tuition is, and they do want to make it slightly more affordable for people and incentivize prospective students to attend Case over other cheaper schools--even if it's only $10k-$15k per year. It keeps down the average indebtedness of their graduates (as does need-based aid).

A good amount of the FB group are actually current M1s for some reason

Don't forget that cleveland clinic is in on half the building so its not like case just had 500 million lying around that they could do whatever they wanted to with. This new building is an investment for both case and the clinic. I just can't believe they built that huge building and yet it's so empty. It's a bunch of class rooms and study spaces only from what I could tell from the virtual tour thing. They could've at least included a mini gym since the undergrad campus will be a little far from this building. Compared to the old building though this new building will definitely be a worthwhile investment. A lot of the students on my interview day complained of feeling like they were in a cave and rarely seeing any natural light while in the old building.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that cleveland clinic is in on half the building so its not like case just had 500 million lying around that they could do whatever they wanted to with. This new building is an investment for both case and the clinic. I just can't believe they built that huge building and yet it's so empty. It's a bunch of class rooms and study spaces only from what I could tell from the virtual tour thing. They could've at least included a mini gym since the undergrad campus will be a little far from this building. Compared to the old building though this new building will definitely be a worthwhile investment. A lot of the students on my interview day complained of feeling like they were in a cave and rarely seeing any natural light while in the old building.

OMG, yes, a gym!!! They mentioned they had some empty space they didn't know what to do with it yet. Hopefully they decide to covert it into a gym.

Is anyone having trouble with the "Accepted Central" website? The website lags so much for me and freezes chrome at times. It's frustrating to deal with when I'm trying to get info about financial aid requirements. Are others having this issue or do I just need to use a different browser/update chrome? Thanks!

alternate :((( thought my interviews went well but i guess not
Me too! Although I feel like on my interview day, they said specifically that the alternate list was not a bad place to be...but the portal says that only 13 people got pulled off of it last year?

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!! I considered not going to my interview because of $$$ problems, but I'm so glad I went, because I really liked it there.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted!! Interviewed on the 28th and loved it

Me too! Although I feel like on my interview day, they said specifically that the alternate list was not a bad place to be...but the portal says that only 13 people got pulled off of it last year?
right?? i was super tilted when i read that. also, does anyone get rejected post interview or is it kind of a cesspool of tears in the alternate list

right?? i was super tilted when i read that. also, does anyone get rejected post interview or is it kind of a cesspool of tears in the alternate list
Ah well, I guess all we can do is wait and see! I thought they said people do get rejected post II, but I could be confusing them with another school

For anyone accepted - is your Student ID number showing up on the portal? mine is blank so I'm not able to activate my CWRU ID for the financial aid application. Wondering if this is a common problem or just me!

For anyone accepted - is your Student ID number showing up on the portal? mine is blank so I'm not able to activate my CWRU ID for the financial aid application. Wondering if this is a common problem or just me!
It took almost two weeks for mine to pop up but now I can see it.

Hello all! I went to register for second look and apparently it's already onto a waitlist. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting off that second look waitlist? I have another second look weekend that same weekend and while I would prefer to go to case only because I haven't seen the actual building where classes would be held yet/the new health education building, I don't know if waiting to see what happens instead of just going to the other second look is wise

I registered on Monday and still haven’t gotten a confirmation email from Case. Has anyone heard back from the Special Events office?

I registered on Monday and still haven’t gotten a confirmation email from Case. Has anyone heard back from the Special Events office?
i also registered monday and havent heard back, they said it would be a few days

Omg yayyyyy Just got Accepted. Really quick turn around. I loved loved Case! My interview was one of my favorites too. I also had a student interviewer lol if that matters.
Everyone is supposed to get a student interviewer as one of their interviews.

Hello all! I went to register for second look and apparently it's already onto a waitlist. Does anyone know the likelihood of getting off that second look waitlist? I have another second look weekend that same weekend and while I would prefer to go to case only because I haven't seen the actual building where classes would be held yet/the new health education building, I don't know if waiting to see what happens instead of just going to the other second look is wise

I would tell them your situation. There is usually significant movement and if they know this you might be able to grab a spot earlier rather than later.

I

It’s much more complicated than you think. But the short is it’s highly unlikely to have a mini gym. Students already have potential access to 2 gyms near the old med school, and there’s also a CCF gym that you can purchase access to. So I don’t think this is on the list. Also the bldg includes the other health sciences also (nursing, dental, PA, etc).

A good amount of the FB group are actually current M1s for some reason
I find their excitement over the new building comical. I don't think we as applicants really care THAT much.

To put things in perspective, their new building cost about $500 million.
NYU's free tuition for life program cost about $600 million.

If they really wanted to bring in new students, they should have chose the latter option.

This was definitely not an option. The new building HAD to happen.

Placed on the Alternate List. Interviewed on 2/15 after being placed on hold for an interview in December. Oh well...

Second Look confirmation received! I also registered on Monday.

according to the accepted students page the last acceptances were sent out yesterday so im assuming theyll be moving on to those waitlisted soon

according to the accepted students page the last acceptances were sent out yesterday so im assuming theyll be moving on to those waitlisted soon
Case is done interviewing? Or all interviews are for the waitlist now? Would now be a good time for waitlisters to send a LOI?

Case is done interviewing? Or all interviews are for the waitlist now? Would now be a good time for waitlisters to send a LOI?
i beleive they are done interviewing because they said they sent out acceptances from the last committee meeting of the 2018-2019 season