2018-2019 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you submitted all your financial aid forms and info? I received my aid package about 2 weeks after submitting all my info.

Just submitted everything this weekend- so hopefully will hear back soon then! How did they notify you of your award? By email or did you have to check the Financial Aid website?

Members don't see this ad.

How do I get on the fancy admitted students Facebook page? I was accepted to the MSTP over a week ago and I still haven't been approved.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do I get on the fancy admitted students Facebook page? I was accepted to the MSTP over a week ago and I still haven't been approved.

It took me a while to be approved as well. Dont worry there's not much going on on the page right now anyways.

Have you submitted all your financial aid forms and info? I received my aid package about 2 weeks after submitting all my info.

Which documents did you submit? I did my CSS, FAFSA, parent’s tax returns and W2s, my own tax returns and W2s, and Case’s supplemental app. Was that all? I’m approved for all but I can’t tell if I’m finished.

Which documents did you submit? I did my CSS, FAFSA, parent’s tax returns and W2s, my own tax returns and W2s, and Case’s supplemental app. Was that all? I’m approved for all but I can’t tell if I’m finished.

As long as all of them say approved or received you're fine. They're super busy right now processing everything. People who sent it earlier likely got in before the huge wave.

Anyone get a call about whether they plan on attending second look weekend? I feel kinda bad for registering now though since I'm from the area. Might just email them saying I can't go and open up a spot for someone who might be out of state and need it more. I really just wanted a tour of the new building but I'm sure i can coordinate that with them without too much trouble.

Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to visit the campus at their revisit mini second look April 12th day? Really the main reason I wanted to visit was to see the campus since I've already had the opportunity to sit in on an IQ session

Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to visit the campus at their revisit mini second look April 12th day? Really the main reason I wanted to visit was to see the campus since I've already had the opportunity to sit in on an IQ session

What's this mini second look on April 12th? I hadn't heard anything about that?

Reactions: 2 users
Holy cow! Have you seen Case’s match list?? 18 Ortho, 10 Optho, 9 neuro, 9 derm, 9 uro, 5 ENT. Insane!

Reactions: 10 users
Withdrew from alternate list - I hope it moves a lot this year!

Reactions: 1 users
What's this mini second look on April 12th? I hadn't heard anything about that?
They sent an email about 5 days ago because the first second look filled up in only 4 hours! It's being called a revisit day and is supposed to be like second look but probably not have everything that the second look has? There's a mini tentative schedule for it as well

Holy cow! Have you seen Case’s match list?? 18 Ortho, 10 Optho, 9 neuro, 9 derm, 9 uro, 5 ENT. Insane!

I took the 2019 IM match list and organized it by IM residency program ranking (from a 2018 article I think), only including data for the top 25 programs. In case anyone's interested:

1. Johns Hopkins Hosp Baltimore MD
2. Massachusetts Gen Hosp Boston MA
4. Brigham & Womens Hosp Boston MA (3x)
7. Barnes-Jewish Hosp St Louis MO
10. U Michigan Hosps Ann Arbor MI
11. U Washington Affil Hosps Seattle WA (3x)
13. Stanford Univ Progs Stanford CA (4x)
19. Hosp of the Univ of PA Philadelphia PA
20. Cleveland Clinic Fdn Cleveland OH (2x)
21. B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston MA (2x)
22. Univ of Chicago Med Ctr Chicago IL (3x)
24. Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai New York NY (Internal Medicine/Comm Primary Care)

All others (in no particular order):
UC San Diego Med Ctr San Diego CA (4x)
Thomas Jefferson Univ Philadelphia PA (2x)
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Madison WI
U Illinois COM Chicago IL
U Rochester/Strong Memorial Rochester NY
Loma Linda University Loma Linda CA
Baylor Coll Med Houston TX
University of Hawaii Honolulu HI
U Colorado SOM Denver CO
UPMC Medical Education Pittsburgh PA
Olive View-UCLA Med Ctr Sylmar CA
Case Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland Med Ctr Cleveland OH (Internal Medicine/Pediatrics)

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent an email about 5 days ago because the first second look filled up in only 4 hours! It's being called a revisit day and is supposed to be like second look but probably not have everything that the second look has? There's a mini tentative schedule for it as well

Hmm, okay great thanks for the info! I definitely didn't get that email- but I'm also signed up for the main second look!

Can anyone who has received their financial aid package let me know what the official COA is this year?

On the topic of financial aid, I submitted my financial aid stuff a while ago and confused on why I haven't heard anything yet. If we applied for a scholarship do they hold off on saying anything until that is decided first? I think i remember it saying something along those lines but not sure.

On the topic of financial aid, I submitted my financial aid stuff a while ago and confused on why I haven't heard anything yet. If we applied for a scholarship do they hold off on saying anything until that is decided first? I think i remember it saying something along those lines but not sure.
yes they said we wouldnt hear back until scholarship decisions were made

Does Case accept/want letters of interest and intent if you’re on the waitlist?

Can anyone who has received their financial aid package let me know what the official COA is this year?

Tuition and Fees: $65,632.00
Room & Board: $14,766.00
Books & Supplies: $1,000.00
Personal Expenses: $3,964.00
Transportation: $2,826.00
Loan Origination Fee: $1,516.00
Health Insurance: $2,174.00
Total Budget: $91,878.00

DXR.axd
DXR.axd
DXR.axd
DXR.axd
DXR.axd

Uhhh, wow, most expensive private school in the country tuition wise?
Tuition and Fees: $65,632.00
Room & Board: $14,766.00
Books & Supplies: $1,000.00
Personal Expenses: $3,964.00
Transportation: $2,826.00
Loan Origination Fee: $1,516.00
Health Insurance: $2,174.00
Total Budget: $91,878.00

DXR.axd
DXR.axd
DXR.axd
DXR.axd
DXR.axd

Uhhh, wow, most expensive private school in the country tuition wise?

Pretty high up there for sure :(, makes me sad that you can either get a scholarship or need based aid but not both. Even with the largest scholarship going to one of my state schools would come out a little cheaper. Still gonna wait on financial aid just in case to see how it turns out. If they gave out more money or lowered tuition i feel like they'd have a much better yield instead of over accepting so much.

Hmm N=1, but I got my financial (need) package a month ago (about 1-2 weeks after everything was submitted). I also applied for the merit scholarship-- I submitted my merit application a little over a week ago. If you're curious it might be worth an email to the fin aid office.

Pretty high up there for sure :(, makes me sad that you can either get a scholarship or need based aid but not both. Even with the largest scholarship going to one of my state schools would come out a little cheaper. Still gonna wait on financial aid just in case to see how it turns out. If they gave out more money or lowered tuition i feel like they'd have a much better yield instead of over accepting so much.

I don't think it's either/or for the merit and need-based scholarship. The language in the documents basically just said "qualifying for merit-based scholarship may disqualify you from need-based aid". And anyways I think need-based aid is only institutional loans (don't quote me on this). The way I understood it is that getting the merit scholarship reduces your overall CoA, so that may affect how much need-based aid (i.e. institutional loans) you're entitled to based on whatever algorithm they use for need-based aid.

I also applied for need-based aid and the dean's scholarship, and the application documents said need-based and merit-based aid applicants would receive all of their financial aid info the week of April 8 (after 2nd look). So I'm in the same boat as you!

I don't think it's either/or for the merit and need-based scholarship. The language in the documents basically just said "qualifying for merit-based scholarship may disqualify you from need-based aid". And anyways I think need-based aid is only institutional loans (don't quote me on this). The way I understood it is that getting the merit scholarship reduces your overall CoA, so that may affect how much need-based aid (i.e. institutional loans) you're entitled to based on whatever algorithm they use for need-based aid.

I also applied for need-based aid and the dean's scholarship, and the application documents said need-based and merit-based aid applicants would receive all of their financial aid info the week of April 8 (after 2nd look). So I'm in the same boat as you!

From what i remember from the financial aid presentation on interview day they made it sound like if you get the highest deans scholarship (40k) you wont get any need based aid (im not referring to loans here, just need based scholarship money). I may be wrong though and I hope I am. I don't get financial aid info back from any of my schools until that same week of April 8th so it's just been a little frustrating not being able to narrow things down at all.

From what i remember from the financial aid presentation on interview day they made it sound like if you get the highest deans scholarship (40k) you wont get any need based aid (im not referring to loans here, just need based scholarship money). I may be wrong though and I hope I am. I don't get financial aid info back from any of my schools until that same week of April 8th so it's just been a little frustrating not being able to narrow things down at all.

I thought on interview day what they said was that they look at how much need-based and merit-based aid you qualify for and attempt to give you the best "deal", if that makes sense... but I don't remember the details, there was a lot talked about. Also I'm in the same boat as you, haven't gotten financial info from any of my schools yet.

I also remember something like this. They said maximum aid was $40K, so if we qualified for $30K (need-based) and had $20K (merit), we were going to get $20K and $20k.

Reactions: 2 users
I also remember something like this. They said maximum aid was $40K, so if we qualified for $30K (need-based) and had $20K (merit), we were going to get $20K and $20k.

Yeah that's what i remember as well. It's frustrating too because knowing that best case I'll be paying 50k a year while at my state school worst case I'd be paying 50k a year is just seeing me up for disappointment for when the financial aid comes in.

Has anyone been able to view the recorded webinar from Wednesday? I can't see if a link has been posted on the Accepted page.

Does anyone else think it's a bit strange that CWRU and CCLCM have the same portal so if you send a letter to one, the other school can see it?

Does anyone else think it's a bit strange that CWRU and CCLCM have the same portal so if you send a letter to one, the other school can see it?

That is a bit awkward. I believe it's just because they're so closely integrated, it makes sense for them to be run by the same admissions staff and website architecture. I'm sure they're not gonna be upset if you're writing a letter of intent to CCLCM while holding an acceptance to CWRU (if this is what you're doing, idk). Surely they know your status with regard to both schools and they just expect you to be honest and upfront with them.

Withdrew from here. Best of luck to everyone else!

Do you guys know where we can find the schedule of the second look?

That is a bit awkward. I believe it's just because they're so closely integrated, it makes sense for them to be run by the same admissions staff and website architecture. I'm sure they're not gonna be upset if you're writing a letter of intent to CCLCM while holding an acceptance to CWRU (if this is what you're doing, idk). Surely they know your status with regard to both schools and they just expect you to be honest and upfront with them.

hmm makes sense
im sending letters of interest to both so idk how they will receive that

hmm makes sense

You could write one letter and just mention both programs? Like say you really enjoyed both on your interview day and you'd love to attend either. Maybe mention specific things you like about each one. Or just write two separate ones and name them college program vs University program and hope they only read the one that's for them lol.

Do you guys know if there are student hosts for the second look? also, where do we sign up?

Do you guys know if there are student hosts for the second look? also, where do we sign up?
Have you actually been accepted? Because there have been a ton of emails with explanations and there are readily accessible answers to your questions on Accepted Central.

Have you actually been accepted? Because there have been a ton of emails with explanations and there are readily accessible answers to your questions on Accepted Central.
lol yes. I hadn't checked out accepted central. Thanks for the help!

hmm makes sense

That does make it a little trickier than the average letter of interest, but I think if you word it properly it'll be fine. I think both schools like to see that their applicants are still interested in the program. Just don't say "you're my #1 choice" to both schools!

EDIT: Also, you probably have two different "files" for the school, so it may be that your letters of interest will be filed away and won't be seen by the other admissions committee members. When either CCLCM or Case opens your file, they'll only see the applicable letter.

If you signed up for Second Look on time (it filled up in 4 hours, and they have a waitlist), you should have received a ton of info about it. The school is providing accommodations at the Holiday Inn Cleveland Clinic.

Is there an accepted students Facebook page? If so, I never received an invite.

I checked the schedule for 2nd look and saw in an email that Friday is “dressy casual” is there a recommended dress code for Saturday as well?

I checked the schedule for 2nd look and saw in an email that Friday is “dressy casual” is there a recommended dress code for Saturday as well?

On the FAQs section, they have "business casual" for Saturday during the day and "dressy casual" at night for dinner at alumni homes.

If you check the FAQ they mention examples of what to wear.

is second look only open to accepted students?

Yeah only accepted students and it filled up at this point. If accepted later on though off the waitlist you could always schedule a visit to the school with the admissions office and just do a lot more self exploring of the area.

I had a blast this past weekend. Y'all are such a fun, amazing group of people :).

Reactions: 6 users